HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The definitive speed trap thread
Posted by: z28power ()
Date: July 31, 2006 07:25PM

Hey guys! I've never posted before but thought I'd try to give something back. I envision this to be a thread to report speed trap sightings. We'll take care of all the obvious ever-present ones first, then update as new traps appear. Maybe someone can make a tie-in to Google maps to display them graphically. Anyway, step 1 will be to list all the super common speed traps before we get into the nitty gritty. Maybe we can get Cary to make this sticky if it works out. So,

Ultra common speed traps:

I-66:
In the median near the exit for 7100/Fairfax County Parkway. Running radar both directions. State police. Common for Fairfax County to be positioned at the Monument Drive HOV exit or in the median near the router 28 exit as well.

Route 28:
Under the route 29 overpass usually pointing to catch traffic going south towards Centreville.

Route 50:
West on 50 past the Dulles Auto Park. About a mile or two before Loudoun county.

Fairfax County Parkway/7100:
On the shoulder of the southbound side between the lights for Fox Mill and West Ox. Out there about twice a week. You can't see them until it's too late because the bridge obscures your view while you speed down the hill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The definitive speed trap thread
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 31, 2006 07:43PM

Federal Protective Service routinely sets a speed trap on South Lakes Drive in Reston. They sit in the USGS parking lot with a radar gun, it's usually tough to see them because they're in a parking lot full of other cars. The speed limit is only 25 on that street but it's easy to do 35-40, I've seen dozens of people get nailed there. I drive by there on my lunch break and it seems like they do it at least 3-4 times a month, always around 11AM-1PM.

Posted by: wtf is fps ()
Date: July 31, 2006 08:08PM

wtf is Federal Protective Service... r they a police force authorized to give tickets and general law enforcement in ffx?

Date: July 31, 2006 08:23PM

wtf is Federal Protective Service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Federal_Protective_Service

I think the USGS has a secure facility on that property and they probably "own" part of that street, and that's why FPS can patrol it.

Posted by: WestOx ()
Date: August 05, 2006 03:42PM

man 66 is just full of speed traps. just after the two rest stops at exit 47 west and east

Also seen cops under the overpasses just before the Fairfax city exits right before fairoaks mall.

on Herndon parkway a motorcycle cop waits just around the first bend traveling north

at the shell gas station he waits on Main street east towards fx city. the gas station across from banks of america and Giant foods

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: August 05, 2006 04:06PM

I didnt know about the FPS doing radar. The airport police do the same thing on the dulles toll road. I wondered how they could spare cops to run radar on there since it was already patrolled by fairfax and state police. The dulles airport is such a mess and they are supposed to be watching for terrorists not out making the government more money. I would think the airport police would have better things to do.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 06, 2006 02:23AM

I can't believe I am about to type this nonsense, but it is possible the airport police believe that targeting speeders DOES help fight terror.

In theory they may pull over a person or carload of persons who are about to hijack a plane or something. In theory the more times they pull people over, the better the odds they will pull over "evil-doers".

I only say this because law enforcement has brainwashed itself thoroughly to believe this kind of crap.

Posted by: brianl703 ()
Date: August 06, 2006 09:59AM

Well, I used to think that criminals know that if you're doing something illegal it's best not to attract the attention of the cops by speeding..

...but there was the case of the two or three guys who killed someone (in or near Richmond, I believe) and proceeded to speed north on I95 at about 90MPH.

They were pulled over somewhere around exit 150 or so. I guess they must have acted really nervous or something because the cop searched the vehicle and found a dead body in the trunk.

Posted by: come on folks ()
Date: August 06, 2006 12:34PM

Didn't a cop pull Tim McVeigh over for speeding or dead tags?

It is amazing that many criminals are too dumb to drive like saints after committing mass murder....or with a trunk full of dope...etc.

Date: August 06, 2006 01:19PM

Didn't a cop pull Tim McVeigh over for speeding or dead tags?

He was actually driving without a license plate, which really ranks up there in terms of stupid criminal behavior.

Posted by: hk0 ()
Date: August 10, 2006 10:46PM

There's a lot of FPS cops in Reston on Sunset Hills and in McLean around West Park behind Tysons Galleria. I've never seen them issue a ticket. EVER.
I think even if they did you needn't worry about it because its not like they're going to call the Marshall Service to make you appear in Federal Traffic Court (I can't even find where the hell that is on any gov websites).
You only have to worry about it if you work at the location they are protecting where they can find you and impound your car.

Some more speed traps for you:

* Intersection of I-66 and 7100, cops like to hang out in the service entrance to the salt dome.

* Dulles Toll Road: Between Rt. 7 and Wolf Trap in the westbound travel lanes. There's a bit of tarmac that pitches up before the first section of jersey-barrier median, and cops like to hide in that little nook.

* They also like to hang out in the general travel lanes on the far right shoulder where the road turns back to the right before the Wolf Trap entrance ramp. You can't see them at all because the sound barrier blocks your view.

* Rt 7100 and Braddock Road. Going southbound there's a steep hill before the overpass and you will see motorcycle cops at the end of the overpass, just over the crest.

Date: August 10, 2006 10:59PM

There's a lot of FPS cops in Reston on Sunset Hills and in McLean around West Park behind Tysons Galleria. I've never seen them issue a ticket. EVER.

I've personally witnessed FPS give out 10+ tickets on South Lakes in Reston. They bust people there. Also: There are some govt. buildings near the McLean Hilton (behind the Galleria) that supposedly house CIA contractors. I drive thru there alot and have seen FPS presence regularly over the past 10 yrs; but I've never seen them ticketing anyone like they do in Reston.

Date: August 11, 2006 06:49AM

What the hell is "FPS"

Fairfax County Police Department would be FCPD.... is that so hard to type?

Date: August 11, 2006 07:19AM

FPS = Federal Protective Service

It's mentioned several times in the thread you just responded to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Federal_Protective_Service

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 07:32AM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 11, 2006 03:22PM

Being smart today, eh RESton?

Date: August 11, 2006 05:35PM

jesus scrolling up is just too much of a hassle, I think I will just keep jumping to conclusions... I even have a special mat for it.

Posted by: new trap spotted ()
Date: August 08, 2016 10:31AM

Speed trap on Charles & Huniting mill

Posted by: VyGdd ()
Date: August 08, 2016 10:36AM

10 year old thread revival!

Posted by: Existential*Threat ()
Date: August 08, 2016 01:11PM

Do you ever sometimes wonder about the people who started those threads 10 years ago? Do they still live here? Do they still visit FFXU? Are they even still alive?

Posted by: Existential thread ()
Date: August 09, 2016 11:05PM

Are humans bad by nature?

Ha religion, over all, throughout the ages helped or hindered humanity?

Am I, on a Tuesday night, too stoned or not stoned enough?

Who was the lizard king? And was it he who was the rider on the storm?

Posted by: hate speed traps ()
Date: August 10, 2016 09:09PM

Route 29 under the Fairfax county parkway. It's 6 lanes divided, but 45mph. And long down hill run, so you'll pick up speed so they sit at the DC end snd clock you at the bottom of the hill.

Posted by: Thank God ()
Date: August 10, 2016 09:27PM

Thank God for this useful information. I'm annotating my paper map that I carry everywhere we go.

Then my wife can read it to me in her sweet voice. I love when she says, "Police reported ahead" or "vehicle stopped on roadway ahead" or "be in either of the two right lanes."

Posted by: Silicon Valley guy ()
Date: August 10, 2016 10:37PM

Thank God Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank God for this useful information. I'm
> annotating my paper map that I carry everywhere we
> go.
>
> Then my wife can read it to me in her sweet voice.
> I love when she says, "Police reported ahead" or
> "vehicle stopped on roadway ahead" or "be in
> either of the two right lanes."

Maybe we can get together and make an app, let's call it "waze". If it gets big maybe we can sell it to a Internet giant like Google for a billion dollars.

Posted by: 6FnL3 ()
Date: August 11, 2016 02:11PM

There is one on the GW parkway today

Posted by: 66Prowler ()
Date: August 12, 2016 02:09PM

They are still monitoring I-66 between Nutley and 123 from aircraft.
Patrolled by giant frogs would be more believable.
Attachments:
I66warning2.png

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.