HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Churches not paying taxes
Posted by: FuckYouPayMe ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:23PM

http://fcnp.com/2015/06/18/expelled-from-historic-falls-church-anglican-defectors-buy-new-site/

What does FFXU think of these mega churches buying properties, resulting in a loss of real property taxes? FCPS could pay a lot of consultants with $200,000 per year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Churches not paying taxes
Posted by: heglo ()
Date: June 23, 2015 10:42PM

Frankly, I don't get it at all.

Without getting involved in some in-depth constitutional debate, doesn't the "separation of church and state" strongly suggest there should really be no official recognition of religious enterprises, and thus, no special tax treatment?

Posted by: Hate scams ()
Date: June 24, 2015 05:52AM

Churches are leeches. The real welfare queens. Not to mention total scams.

Posted by: Tax-free income for the church ()
Date: June 24, 2015 08:18AM

"The property, on Route 50 at the intersection of S. Cherry Street, is currently home to a four-story commercial office building and a two-story parking deck. Preliminary plans are to demolish the parking deck, build a new one on the other end of the property and construct a new sanctuary building."

Notice also that the church plans to leave the existing office building intact. It is likely that at least part of the office building's 150,000 sq. ft. will be leased to commercial tenants. Fairfax County loses tax revenue, while the church realizes tax-free rental income...nice.

Posted by: FuckYouPayMe ()
Date: June 24, 2015 09:18AM

Tax-free income for the church Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The property, on Route 50 at the intersection
> of S. Cherry Street, is currently home to a
> four-story commercial office building
and a
> two-story parking deck. Preliminary plans are
> to demolish the parking deck, build a new one on
> the other end of the property and construct a new
> sanctuary building
."

>
> Notice also that the church plans to leave the
> existing office building intact. It is likely that
> at least part of the office building's 150,000 sq.
> ft. will be leased to commercial tenants. Fairfax
> County loses tax revenue, while the church
> realizes tax-free rental income...nice.

Non-profits are supposed to segregate their commercial income, and be taxed commercially on it, but I doubt if all really do.

Posted by: grovernorquistsux ()
Date: June 25, 2015 04:59AM

The county is still responsible for providing services such as police and fire protection, public sewer and water connections, etc. and yet because of a religious exemption, these places get something for nothing. And who do you suppose is paying something for nohting?

Posted by: FGmky ()
Date: June 25, 2015 06:25AM

Think of the children!

Posted by: dumbass libturdz ()
Date: June 25, 2015 07:44AM

Damn, you anti American libturdz are stupid.

Posted by: hLCt9 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:18AM

Typical stupidity by typical zealot atheist crusaders. They believe that only the government - by forcibly stealing your money - should be allowed to provide charitable support to the communities. They want to eliminate private charities so only big brother can give a helping hand. Much like they also want to eliminate parent involvement in the school system - only the FCPS bureaucrats can help out at schools. It's the same mindset.

Oh, I know, not all charitable organizations are perfect - hey - government and their employees aren't either. But regardless if you agree with their particular religion or way of expressing their religion - it is a rare church that does not involve themselves in legitimate charitable work and community building. Not that the OP would know - all he sees is a glitzy Sunday morning televangelist and thinks that's all there is to it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:32AM

So we can assume you're good giving all churches tax exemptions? What about satanic ones?

Posted by: nWH99 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:41AM

The one time I went to a church for help (I was fresh out of divorce and was left a single mother, HE chose to leave it was not my fault!!!) I was asked if I believed in God, my answer was YES I DO (TRUTH).

I asked if I was a member of that church, I said no....

I was turned away for help and told to contact the county. The same county that referred me to go to the church for help. The county simply referred me back to the church- so I ended up moving in with family and losing the house and everything.

I will never set foot in another church again. I simply read the bible on my own time and do online programs now.

All I will say is it was a predominately white church which is why I felt a bit uncomfortable going, I thought churches accepted all people??

... but I legit needed help and had my divorce paperwork, my unemployment paperwork, the kids birth certificates, the utility bills I needed help with, pictures of my empty cabinets and food with no food etc ready to show them. I was even willing to let them come to my house and see for themselves what I needed help with. I never even got the chance to explain.

At least the Jehovahs DID help me some as well. The christian church, LOL. If you are not a tithing member to their church they wont help you.

Posted by: nWH99 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:42AM

* empty cabinets and fridge, sorry for the typo but you get my point.

Posted by: hLCt9 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 09:30AM

a) if the satanic church in question can demonstrate some modicum of charitable work and or community service I would be OK with a tax exemption

b) that is a sad story about the church you reached out to. as with anything it is a mistake to label one experience and apply it to all churches - there are more types/brands/denominations of Christian churches than to assume they are all the same. Small churches sometimes have their own financial difficulties. Some may be insular jerks - but I think most are not.

I can assure you that would not have happened at the church I used to attend. There is a very active food pantry program that helps 100s of families every year without regard to church attendance. There is extensive support of homeless shelters, support of school kids (clothes/supplies/etc) -- there are actually dozens of private charitable organizations they partner with - to the tune of $100Ks every year. And it's probably 60% white, 20% black, 10% Asian, 10% Hispanic.

I will say that I don't think any church would literally take care of someone's mortgage payments on a long-term basis. They may provide short-term assistance but it is not realistic to assume even the most generous of churches could afford to pick-up distressed mortgages.

Posted by: wFtd9 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:17AM

FuckYouPayMe Wrote:
> http://fcnp.com/2015/06/18/expelled-from-historic-
> falls-church-anglican-defectors-buy-new-site/
>
> What does FFXU think of these mega churches buying
> properties, resulting in a loss of real property
> taxes? FCPS could pay a lot of consultants with
> $200,000 per year.

of course they can tax luxury property and gov workers who dont are conspirators

anyone remembers the 700 Club fiasco where Jerry Falwell and wife were living in a mansion ostensibly on donations intended "for the church"

for protestant churches it's well known preachers spend (all) of the money collections - though apparently for fallwell there is a limit to what others will perceive as an open deception

Posted by: 6u6kd ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:20AM

however the church grouds do not pay taxes - meaning property esp. with an old church on it

ie, like in falls church where asians democrats are trying to get a permit to bulldoes an old historic church, sell the land. as if they owned it - HAH - when that was build they were slitting throats of white people.

Posted by: Anti-government troglodyte ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:31AM

hLCt9 Wrote:
> Oh, I know, not all charitable organizations are
> perfect - hey - government and their employees
> aren't either.

If nobody's perfect, what does it matter whether people in need are assisted by a religious charity or the government?

Posted by: YP ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:36AM

Anti-government troglodyte Wrote:
> hLCt9 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Oh, I know, not all charitable organizations
> are
> > perfect - hey - government and their employees
> > aren't either.
>
> If nobody's perfect, what does it matter whether
> people in need are assisted by a religious charity
> or the government?

The difference is the source of funds that are distributed to those that need assistance.

Posted by: Churches are Great ()
Date: June 27, 2015 02:48PM

I've never seen a more selfish, self-absorbed set of hateful and narrow-minded individuals than Liberals and Progressives. Look at some of the above posts.

Churches, with a few exceptions here and there, are paradigms of good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.