HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My Blockbuster closed. What about Netflix?
Posted by: Tricki ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:24PM

The video store near my house closed down. It is the one near George Mason. It was very surprising because I always saw people in there, even Jim Larranaga!!! Anyway, I was thinking of subscribing to netflix. If you have it, how do you like it?? Thanks so much.

Tricki

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Blockbuster closed. What about Netflix?
Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: June 28, 2006 09:37PM

How often do you rent movies? That place closed 6-8 weeks ago! We have had Netflix for about three years and generally like it. Delivery is fast and the selection is deep. The only problem we have in our family is fighting over the queue order since my wife, teenage daughters and me all have very different movie tastes.

For example, last weekend we had Saw, The Ring and Must Love Dogs while about a month ago we had Reservoir Dogs, Clerks and The Station Agent, none of which made my wife want to sit down with a bowl of popcorn.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 28, 2006 10:16PM

I second lester on the queue thing, but you can get an increased queue.

I liked netflix but my girl and I decided we'd rather own as many movies as possible. 300+ later and I still can't find a thing to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2006 11:05PM by RESton Peace.

Date: June 28, 2006 10:51PM

Well I only buy the movies I like to watch over and over again like Bring It On, Hairspray, The Cutting Edge, and Dumb and Dumber. I guess I just never noticed that Blockbuster was closed up. We went to Miami for a vacay so I was catching up on my Tivo shows.

Trickie

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 28, 2006 11:10PM

Tricki- if you rent at least 4 DVD's per month, Netflix is worth it. Their selection is gigantic and service is fast. I never used to rent alot of movies, but found Netflix extremely convenient, and nowadays making a trip out to Blockbuster seems like an absurdity. My local Blockbuster (Danor Plaza in Vienna) always had ridiculous lines anyway. Even if you don't currently rent 4 DVD's a month, with Netflix, you will find stuff to watch. It's worth it.

Posted by: Haha ()
Date: June 28, 2006 11:27PM

Building Private Video Collection 101

1. Buy a $50 DVD Burner
2. Buy blank DVDs
3. Get Nextflix
4. Build a collection :-)

Posted by: Henry Remarko ()
Date: June 29, 2006 02:08AM

HAHaHAAAAA!

I think Tricki is being serious about "Bring It On"
HAHHA

Blockbuster customers make me laugh.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: June 29, 2006 08:09AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second lester on the queue thing, but you can
> get an increased queue.
>

It is not so much the queue size, but the order. Netflix will send the next movie in your queue whenever one is returned. We typically have 15-20 movies in our queue, but we don't coordinate too well and "someone" will reorder the whole thing and you don't notice until you receive several chick flicks or slasher films in a row that you say WTF.

I agree with the 4 movies/month, but what tends to happen at our house is that someone will watch a movie and then it sits on the kitchen counter for a week before it gets dropped into the mailbox. The good news, however, is no late fees.

Netflix is really good for a 'test drive' of movies that you might want to own which has led to my wife picking up 200+ titles for cheap on eBay.

Posted by: Ren Höek ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:04AM

ewwwww, Navy Seals!

Date: June 29, 2006 09:20AM

I love the film Bring It On. I even own the soundtrack! Bring It on 2 is good too. Oh I forgot another favorite - Blue Crush. I definitely will try netflix. Don't forget every body has different tastes in movies.

Thanks for the recommendations of Netflix!!!!

tricki

Posted by: Tippy Taco ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:24AM

Try blockbuster online rental.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:56AM

Why don't you just get On Demand from Comcast? That's what is killing Blockbuster. Netflix is okay, but if you don't stay on top of it and get the DVDs in and out as quickly as possible, it isn't that great a deal.

Posted by: § ()
Date: June 29, 2006 10:34AM

I don't know about Netflix, but I do know that Pearl Harbor sucked and freedom costs a buck o' five. -§

Posted by: Rick ()
Date: June 29, 2006 10:47AM

Tricki Wrote:
> The video store near my house closed down. It is
> the one near George Mason. It was very surprising
> because I always saw people in there, even Jim
> Larranaga!!! Anyway, I was thinking of
> subscribing to netflix. If you have it, how do
> you like it?? Thanks so much.
>
> Tricki

I've been to Blockbusters all over the region (even worked at one) and that one in University Mall was by far the scummiest, dirtiest, most disorganized one I have ever seen.

Netflix = Do it. Just do it (sorry Nike)

Date: June 29, 2006 10:52AM

Tricki, just let me say, that locker room scene at the beginnning of "bring it on" is some of the best filmmaking ever. Truly inspired.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: June 29, 2006 11:05AM

Redbox is the shit. Small selection, but the price and convenience cannot be beat.

Posted by: Henry Remarko ()
Date: June 29, 2006 11:51AM

Tricki

HAHA "Bring It On 2"??
HAHAHAHA

I want to take you to an open field and play fetch with you.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: June 29, 2006 02:27PM

I just started netflix last month and love it so far. I agree with the queue order being messed up. My family has very diverse taste in movies, and my stepson needs his kid flicks also, so sometimes we end up with 2 children's movies, which sucks.

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: June 29, 2006 03:40PM

i have the blockbuster version of netflix, i tgink its cheaper and they send the videos quicker

Date: June 29, 2006 07:51PM

I use Fingerflix at Best Buy. It's a program I started that serves only me. Free movies, cds, and electronics straight off the truck.

Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: June 29, 2006 09:43PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> I use Fingerflix at Best Buy. It's a program I
> started that serves only me. Free movies, cds,
> and electronics straight off the truck.

That, sir, is brilliant.

Date: June 29, 2006 10:13PM

Now , now reston Peace. I know you are just kidding, right?? Cause stealing is a sin.

Date: June 29, 2006 11:07PM

Trickie, I have spent so much money at Best Buy in the last year, that I am ashamed to name the amount. Large screen 1080i tv, tons of computer crap, so many dvd's I could vomit and a nice shiny player. Cameras and appliances. hard drives. gifts for other people. I sorta wish for the dollars spent they would bring Monty Hall out and have him present the stuff to me behind door #3. Always pick door #3.

Date: June 30, 2006 03:25PM

Thank you, reston peace, for putting my mind at ease. I love the gizmos too. Speaking of door #3, here's a tune from Jimmy Buffet:

Oh Monty, Monty, Monty, I am walkin' down your hall
Got beat, lost my seat, but I'm not a man to crawl
Though I didn't get rich, you son of a bitch
I'll be back just wait and see
'Cause my whole world lies waiting behind door number three
Yes my whole world lies waiting behind door number three

You are such a sweetie!!

Hugs, trickie

Date: June 30, 2006 04:37PM

well, you're sweet too trick, but Jimmy Buffett is seriously awful. Never write his lyrics to me again, I find his "music" to be very offensive. I've never heard him say "ho", "bitch". "mac 10" or "gat" even once in his music, and he never sings about his sweet rims. He's never even written one song about shooting his enemies execution-style to get revenge.

His concerts are just an excuse to smoke pot, which normally I can get behind, but then he comes out and performs and it is just a buzzkill hearing 15 songs that are essentially just slices from the same boring pie.

Date: June 30, 2006 05:39PM

Next time he comes to Nissan Pavilion then, just go to party in the parking lot before the show. Don't even buy a ticket. When the show starts, leave. It'll be much easier to get out of that nightmare venue and you will not have to listen to him.

Date: June 30, 2006 06:48PM

I have already done so twice. Almost ten years ago.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: June 30, 2006 08:26PM

Netflix is good but you have to watch the sneaky bastards. When you get a movie sometimes the return envelope will be for the distribution center in Chicago. That means it can take a week or more to be credited for the return so you can get the next movie.

Posted by: ComicRelief ()
Date: July 01, 2006 11:29PM

I've used netflix for about two and a half years and it's true, if you don't stay on top of it then it's a horrible deal, but then again, if you aren't on top of throwing a movie in the mail you probably won't be on top of returning a movie to the store, and the comparison with late fees makes it an awesome deal.

And to all of the people who have netflix with messed up queues, remember, you can create seperate queues for different people with different logins. Each login can be set with a certain number of rentals out at a time (the number totaling the number in the paid subscription), and each person can only see their own queue, they can't see what you have on order. The login you use now is considered the administrator login and controls how many movies are allowed for each mini account, password resetting, etc. Check it out in your account settings!

Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: July 03, 2006 10:47AM

Tricki Wrote:
> Next time he comes to Nissan Pavilion then, just
> go to party in the parking lot before the show.
> Don't even buy a ticket. When the show starts,
> leave. It'll be much easier to get out of that
> nightmare venue and you will not have to listen to
> him.

That is a brilliant idea. For years I've turned down opportunities to go to one of his concerts because I can't stand his bland and uninspiring crap. But the party scene... that's something I've always wanted to be a part of.

Back to the topic, Netflix is the way to go. I'm very inconsistent in that I'll go two months without watching a movie, then bang out 15 a month for 4 months if I have the time. Their turnaround time is great in this area and most reports I've read rate them fairly consistent with Blockbuster's online thingy.

Still, I would never switch to Blockbuster because of all the years of crappy selections and insane late fees (once I returned the movie on time, but the lazy bums closed early and charged me anyway). It's a matter of principle, and the irony of them chasing the mom-n-pop stores out of business is making me smile right now.

Posted by: JFathem ()
Date: July 04, 2006 11:45AM

Hey well i work at the blockbuster in burke (the one near the one that closed down by mason), and we were given most of their stock. They closed because they couldnt pay back for their remodoling that they spent so much on two years before. It totally sucks becuase burke blockbuster (my current blockbuster) is sold out all day all the time. And not to be a backer of putting out small business but we do have our no late fee policy now. the only way that you can physically owe us money is if you return a dvd 2 weeks or more late, and then it is only a $1.31 restocking fee. then after a month it is sold to your account, because it is semi rediculos to keep a DVD for over a month after return unless you've been on vacation. Even if you have a valid excuse we will only charge you the restock fee if you ask.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 04, 2006 12:15PM

JFathem Wrote:
> now. the only way that you can physically owe us
> money is if you return a dvd 2 weeks or more late,
> and then it is only a $1.31 restocking fee. then
> after a month it is sold to your account, because
> it is semi rediculos to keep a DVD for over a
> month after return unless you've been on vacation.
> Even if you have a valid excuse we will only
> charge you the restock fee if you ask.

rental costs are too high at blockbuster and they have those crappy "previews" (spam videos) for other movies. it's worth it just to buy a dvd for $20 so you can watch it a few times. i gave up blockbuster years ago. you know... when everything went to DVD and didnt degrade or take up a ton of space.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Rob ()
Date: July 05, 2006 07:10PM

I have netflix. the only problem i have with it is it takes 2-3 days to get your next movie. Other than that i think its great. no late fees.

Posted by: erg34 ()
Date: March 01, 2016 01:21AM

Cockbuster is old school.

Posted by: Brady Frady ()
Date: March 03, 2016 04:12PM

Get with the times.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.