HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Truck on fire on 66 today.
Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: June 24, 2006 11:34PM

I was on 66 east about 5 pm today, about to get off at FX County Parkway, but I saw a huge plume of black smoke ahead so stayed on 66 so I could rubberneck (at least I admit it). When I finally got there, what looked to be the charred remains of something like a U-Haul truck was blazing, and by blazing, I mean 10-foot flames. Fire trucks everywhere, 66 west backed up for miles.

Anybody else see/hear/know anything about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Truck on fire on 66 today.
Posted by: restonpeace hater ()
Date: June 25, 2006 12:21AM

ya a friend said she was stuck in traffic for hours, musta not known it was because of that. i'll be sure to tell hre

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: June 25, 2006 03:46AM

carbeque. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: June 25, 2006 06:24PM

Seriously? Nobody? I didn't come here til like 6 hours after I saw it and was shocked that there wasn't a thousand posts about it with all the wanna-be news reporters on this forum. I'm starting to think maybe I imagined it.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 25, 2006 07:10PM

Maybe you did. I think you did. Because obviously everyone on this board would have been driving in that part of the county at that time.

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: June 25, 2006 08:13PM

It was a Schwans truck that blew up. The propane tank that was inside of it exploded. I was over in that area trying to get onto 66 East at the FFX County Parkway and they had it blocked off. News reports said they had part of 66 shut down for two hours waiting for the propane to be used up.

If anyone wants to see the 'remains' of the truck it was parked behind the Chantilly Target this afternoon on a flat bed truck at the Willow Springs Towing Facility. That baby burned up nicely, there was still some ice cream (can't imagine how there was any left), leaking on the flat bed from the truck.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: June 25, 2006 08:43PM

I was actually going to post as a wannabe news reporter, I was in fact at fair oaks mall area at that time and saw the huge plume of smoke.

What else is there to report? I was going to ask where it came from, but as I was leaving fair oaks I saw a ton of firetrucks at the Mantech Building. If you walk through the woods 66 is right there, maybe they were staging things over at mantech? Or Mantech had a seperate incident at the same time?

Yeah but the smoke was thick and very dark and reached sky-high.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 26, 2006 04:42PM

I heard they evacuated the Food Lion. Probably not, though.

Posted by: ComicRelief ()
Date: June 26, 2006 05:18PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard they evacuated the Food Lion. Probably
> not, though.

No, it was at 66 and Monument (right next to Fairfax Corner), no Foodlion around. All they did was close the bridge over 66 and divert all traffic on Monument through Fairlakes Promenade (Old Navy shopping center) which was just about the worst idea ever since it turned the parking lot into the biggest cluster fuck I have ever seen.

Posted by: Hawaii ()
Date: June 26, 2006 08:08PM

I had many clients at my job tell me that 66 was closed down, but I didn't hear anything else. I guess this was the reason. I did hear that BOTH sides of 66 were shut down, was that true?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2006 04:34PM

And the CompUSA lot is always fucked over. Half the ways out only let you turn left, which would put you in a circle.

Maybe they evacuated the movie theater?

Posted by: JohnGalt338 ()
Date: September 03, 2012 11:26AM

Bump

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.