HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5
What are the WORST places to Eat at in Northern VA?
Posted by: Hungry Man ()
Date: June 14, 2012 09:49PM

I've heard about some of the best places to eat on FFX Underground, but not the worst ones. Which places should I steer away from and why...?
Attachments:
Vomit.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are the WORST places to Eat at in Northern VA?
Posted by: HolaAmigos100 ()
Date: June 14, 2012 10:32PM

Tippy's Taco. You'll get diahhrea.

Posted by: Taco Hell ()
Date: June 14, 2012 10:41PM

HolaAmigos100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tippy's Taco. You'll get diahhrea.

Dude, it's FREE diarrhea.

Posted by: Never going back ()
Date: June 14, 2012 10:50PM

Anthony's in Falls Church. They don't even to PRETEND to care if you are happy with your food.

Posted by: kem ()
Date: June 15, 2012 02:12AM

The Cunningham's house on 10813 Burr Oak Way in Burke. Dee can't cook worth a shit.

Posted by: hater ()
Date: June 15, 2012 06:15AM

Has Gary gotten the sunglasses surgically removed yet?

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:06AM

Can't think of any one off the top of my head, but the worst restaurant experience I've had around hear was at some place at Fair Oaks mall about 10-12 years ago. It was some little cafe, I can't remember the name, I think it was where the Corner Bakery is now (across from Chammps). I remember the food was real crappy, and the service was so horrendous I think I didn't leave a tip IIRC.

Anybody remember the name of this place? It's been closed for probably ten years, and there have been several other eateries in that location since then.

Posted by: CERTenly3456765 ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:17AM

HolaAmigos100 Wrote:
> Tippy's Taco. You'll get diahhrea.

NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!

Tipppy's ROCKS!!!

Posted by: 29 Diner ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:36AM

29 Diner in FFX

Date: June 15, 2012 09:48AM

29 Diner Wrote:
> 29 Diner in FFX

I wouldn't call it the worst, but yeah, that place ain't that great as far as diners go. I was in there early one morning last year for breakfast and there was a big uncovered pot of brown gravy just sitting there behind the counter. it was sorta weird and gross.

file.php?2,file=33744,filename=gravy29.j

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:37AM

Wherever Bleh eats.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:46AM

Mario's in Arlington

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:17AM

snakeinthegrass Wrote:
> Wherever Bleh eats.
Unless you have a taste for snakes and banana face.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:26AM

It's been about 10 years now, but I got food poisoning twice from the Subway over in Fairfax in the Circuit City shopping Center. I don't even know if it's still there, but it was located at the Shirley Gate Road / Random Hills light. Both times I started puking, shitting and getting feverish 4 hours after I ate there. Never again.

Posted by: Bobby Collingsworth ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:29AM

Warhawk Wrote:
> It's been about 10 years now, but I got food
> poisoning twice from the Subway over in Fairfax in
> the Circuit City shopping Center. I don't even
> know if it's still there, but it was located at
> the Shirley Gate Road / Random Hills light. Both
> times I started puking, shitting and getting
> feverish 4 hours after I ate there. Never again.

Did you have a meatball sub? Those meatballs are like dogfood. You don't have to refridgerate them and they never expire.

Posted by: only takes once ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:31AM

Interesting, 2 times. Hmm

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:33AM

Bobby Collingsworth Wrote:
> Warhawk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's been about 10 years now, but I got food
> > poisoning twice from the Subway over in Fairfax
> in
> > the Circuit City shopping Center. I don't even
> > know if it's still there, but it was located at
> > the Shirley Gate Road / Random Hills light.
> Both
> > times I started puking, shitting and getting
> > feverish 4 hours after I ate there. Never
> again.
>
>
> Did you have a meatball sub? Those meatballs are
> like dogfood. You don't have to refridgerate them
> and they never expire.

No. Both were the Subway Club. How do I remember? I remember because it used to be a go-to sub if I couldn't decide and I've never eaten it since.

To the poster who mentioned getting it twice, the 2nd time I was with some friends and I distinctly thought "I'm not sure about this, but maybe it was a fluke the first time".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 11:35AM by Warhawk.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:39AM

Who stole my name?

Anyway, the popeyes in fairfax circle the last few times has served medium rare to medium chicken strips. And the moe's in baileys is par for the course... horrible.

Posted by: Archie Bunker ()
Date: June 15, 2012 11:56AM

Applebee's. Bad food, bad service, warm beer.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 15, 2012 12:18PM

Blue Ocean Japanese Restaurant.

Went for the first time with a couple of Asian friends and it was great. Went with my girlfriend and the service was horrible. Asian family that came in and was seated after us, got their food before we even got our water. My girlfriend's food came and we ate it before mine even showed up. SHITTY PLACE! Snobby servers.

Posted by: SunnyD ()
Date: June 15, 2012 12:38PM

Peter Pan at Fairfax Circle. You will be running to the bathroom in a matter of minutes.

Posted by: Late Nighter ()
Date: June 15, 2012 02:01PM

Avoid the Sheetz on route 50 just west of 28 and you'll avoid the shits. I had food poisoning from a sub there for 3 days...I didn't know whether to sit or kneel, ya' know?

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 15, 2012 02:06PM

The Lamb Center.

Posted by: BrandonG.M.U. ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:48PM

Magills Famous Pizza and shitty Buffet in Annandale. The only business they get is out of state tour buses.

Posted by: Ten Toes in the Grave ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:51PM

Before it closed, Heart in Hand in Clifton. Food was absolutely inedible. Tasted bad, way over-salted. I ate there maybe 4 times--all "special occasions." A birthday, a celebration after buying a home, etc. Unbelievably bad.

Stay away from the Subway in the Twinbrooke Shopping Center. Service is horrible. I do like the one in King's Park and the one off Burke Centre Parkway, though.

As for the 29 Diner--for better or worse, it's a diner. And not a gussied-up place like "Silver Diner." At least if you're looking for a place a 4 am, it's there and it's open.

Stay away from the McDonald's on Burke Centre Parkway. They never, ever, ever get an order right. And they're s-l-o-w.

Posted by: Glen Glenn ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:53PM

Kilroys. Yeah I know WNC and all that but I am being unbiased here. The highly touted prime rib was full of fat and lukewarm. I asked for a baked potato and was told sorry we dont have anymore. Hardly an acceptable answer since Safeway is 100 ft away and they could have gotten more from them.
The bread was like a rock.
Again I am being honest when I say there was a musty smell to the place. The water glass was dirty. I wont go back.

Posted by: BrandonG.M.U. ()
Date: June 15, 2012 03:54PM

What about that Burger King on West Broad Street in Falls Church? That place always used to be filthy and some of the customers looked sketchy.

Posted by: Anita's Survivor Barely ()
Date: June 15, 2012 07:43PM

The Anita's in Fairfax city was filthy when we went there about a month ago. If, however, you love cockroaches, it might be the place for you! We won't be back.

Posted by: Changelanes ()
Date: June 15, 2012 08:04PM

The 29 Diner is pretty bad. Slow service, the food lacks flavor, and they re-use coffee grounds.

We go to Anita's in FFX city often. It's certainly not the epitome of cleanliness. One time I had something in my food that was of the consistency of a fingernail when I bit down. I spit everything out and didn't want confirmation. I just hope it was a very overcooked pepper.

Posted by: NRA 75 ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:17PM

Easy, agreed with above 29 Diner. Makes Denny's fucking gourmet. Great for history, the food, sucks!

Posted by: BH ()
Date: June 15, 2012 09:41PM

Fuck that blue ocean is awesome. Super authentic japanese place, the service is excusable to me since in ther culture you have to call for the server instead of them coming back and forth to you.

Posted by: dr bombay ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:04PM

The worst place to eat is between your old lady's legs. It was like licking the hair off a monkey.

Posted by: bealzibub ()
Date: June 15, 2012 10:10PM

+1

I've eaten at Crapplebees once and I will never return.

Red Not and Blue
Posted by: Disappointed ()
Date: June 16, 2012 06:41AM

I wanted it to be decent, but the 4-5 times we've been to Red Hot & Blue, the service has been terrible, the place is dirty, wait staff stands around doing nothing, and worst - the food is lukewarm by the time they can be bothered to bring it out.

Date: June 16, 2012 07:10AM

Ten Toes in the Grave Wrote:
> As for the 29 Diner--for better or worse, it's a
> diner. And not a gussied-up place like "Silver
> Diner." At least if you're looking for a place a 4
> am, it's there and it's open.
>
I don't know if this is true any more... I remember recently being out around 4:30 and being on 29 and the lights were out.

Posted by: Yech! ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:18AM

Red Robin in Sterling VA once served us raw burgers. We will never go back there!
The manager came out and apologized and offered to fix our meal. All they did was bring out more "Raw" meat on buns for us. Fire that cook!

Posted by: Ffx resident ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:22AM

Curry Mantra is one of THE worst. Really bad Indian food and the manager is greedy with a bad attitude. It's located in the shopping center with a 7-11, Goodwill and across from the old Carlos O' Kellys.

Posted by: Vomit ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:31AM

Caliente in Ashburn--------Worst Mexican Restaurant in Northern VA

What kind of Mexican restaurant doesn't have a tamale on the menu? This has to be one of the worst mexican restaurants in northern Virginia. The drinks are consistently watered down and over priced. It is a shame, because when they first opened, they made some pretty good margaritas. Their service is horrendous. Food consistently takes a lot longer than it should, even if there is not many customers in the restaurant. One night, we asked that waiter how long it would take for our meal, because we explained that we were in a hurry. He indicated that it would only take 15 minutes. 45 minutes later we still didn't have our food and we had to leave to catch our movie. Our last visit, they forgot my order of shrimp tacos. My wife and our friends were able to finish their meal before the waiter even came back to check on us. At that point everyone was ready to go and I still had not received my dinner. The frustrating part is that shrimp tacos only takes about 5-7 minutes to make. This restaurant has no sense of customer service.

I recommend avoiding it at all costs and hike out to Fairfax to go to either Uncle Julio's or On the Boarder. If you are craving really good Mexican food, I recommend going to Sandia's in Tyson's.

Posted by: Don't go to the Old Country Buffet ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:35AM

The Fairfax County Libraries give out coupon booklets to children who compete their reading. This year, there is a coupon for a free child's meal at Old Country Buffet. We decided to cash in the coupons and wish that we hadn't. This place is disgusting - it is not clean, the food is absolutely terrible. We had a slice of cheesecake that tasted like it was made out of margerine.

Posted by: Romano's Macaroni Grill ()
Date: June 18, 2012 01:45AM

Romano's Macaroni Grill is the worst dining experience we have ever had (no exaggeration). The server (Aida) was rude and condescending. She ignored our table most of the night. We understand if a location is under-staffed, but we couldn't help notice that her attitude towards other tables was significantly different. Other than the color of our skin (we are not white), we couldn't notice anything different from her other customers. If it hadn't been for our two little kids (3 and 1), who were hungry, we would have walked out.

Posted by: JenK ()
Date: June 18, 2012 02:52AM

Red Hot and Blue in fairfax city, manager sucks!!!! Food's not bad, but they do it better in springfield and manassas.

The Jerry's in Vienna(haven't been in years though) gave someone a maggot filled pizza once, never ate there again....wish I hadn't seen it :(

Posted by: BoB Sacamano ()
Date: June 18, 2012 04:09AM

Have you ever seen the Happy Family Restaurant (chinese) on Rashington street in Falls Church? I genrally don't care a lot about decor but this place looks like the dump of dumps.

Been to similar buffetts like Old Country Buffett down South and found the food scrumptious but the OCB in Fairfax I've found to have consistently poor tasting food and yet many folks seem to enjoy it.

Posted by: Arlington blvd. ()
Date: June 18, 2012 04:14AM

"The Jerry's in Vienna(haven't been in years though) gave someone a maggot filled pizza once, never ate there again....wish I hadn't seen it :("

Yeah I ordered some food there years ago. I mentioned to woman cashier I wasn't thrilled about her fingers handling the food, the drink cup, the french fries, etc. She didn't catch my drift. I think it might have been she was Korean. Perhaps they should just put up a sign for Jerry's in Korean.

Posted by: Dr Bombay ()
Date: June 18, 2012 07:01AM

Romano's Macaroni Grill Wrote:
> Romano's Macaroni Grill is the worst dining
> experience we have ever had (no exaggeration). The
> server (Aida) was rude and condescending. She
> ignored our table most of the night. We understand
> if a location is under-staffed, but we couldn't
> help notice that her attitude towards other tables
> was significantly different. Other than the color
> of our skin (we are not white), we couldn't notice
> anything different from her other customers. If it
> hadn't been for our two little kids (3 and 1), who
> were hungry, we would have walked out.

It was probably because no one wants to deal with 2 foul little kids. It's not a kid friendly place but you didn't take the hint. I get sick and tired of parents of litle kids who feel unwelcomed. YOU ARE UNWELCOMED. Get over it and stick to place that have plastic table mats.

Date: June 18, 2012 08:20AM

I had an encounter this weekend worth mentioning in this thread.

I picked up an Italian sub from Red Tomato Pizza in McLean. I can't vouch for the rest of their food, but this was probably the WORST italian sub I've ever eaten. A really dry, unappetizing sandwich, crappy ingredients, blah. It's almost all bread and piled with way too many onions. It's like they're not even paying attention to what they make. I almost threw half of it out, and had to scoop out most of the onions and tear off alot of the bread. It sucks. You're better off getting a sub from 7-11, than this poorly executed junk.

Posted by: NAWT ()
Date: June 18, 2012 11:39AM

Hopsfrog Tavern in Burke.
Friendly bartenders and bar crowd, but your eyeballs hurt just looking at what they serve up as food.

Fortune House in Burke.
Nice family run restaurant but I was screaming sushi out both ends within a couple hours and in bed for two days.

But the absolute worst place to eat has got to be BRION's GRILLE across from GMU.
They consistently serve God awful crap disguised as food in their restaurant and at many GMMU events. GMU faculty, staff, and student body should boycott Brion's culinary genocide.

Posted by: Mia ()
Date: June 18, 2012 11:40PM

The Taco Bell at FFC shamelessly gave us moldy food before. No kidding, it was salsa with gray slimy fur growing out of it. Haven't been there since.

Posted by: Telly Kojak ()
Date: June 19, 2012 04:29AM

"Anthony's in Falls Church. They don't even to PRETEND to care if you are happy with your food"

I find the food okay but I hate dealing with the old Greek woman behind the counter. It's probably my own Catholic guilit conscience but she seems to give me the evil eye everytime I go in, which is about every other month. No way she could remember me from time before but she makes me feel like I did something bad the last time I was in the joint. The reason I go less and less. Food ain't horrible but please don't treat me like a shit

Posted by: Not a Happy Camper ()
Date: June 19, 2012 04:53AM

Over past fifteen years, my family and I have spent many enjoyable hours (not to mention a fair amount of money) at Old Country Buffet in Fairfax, VA restaurant. I know their associates, cook, waiter(s), and etc. and think of them as part of my family, so I was all the more shocked by my incredibly disappointing experience on Saturday 03/10/2012 at 6:40pm.

Here's what happened. My family and I entered their Fairfax location. After waiting for a very long time at register for someone to sit us, my wife, son and I found place to sit and put plates on the table. All of a sudden the manager, Art Green, came to our table angry and start talking loud and very rude to myself and my wife. He then basically kicked us out of restaurant to seat other two couple. His attitude was unprofessional and extremely disappointing. Even worse when I asked to speak to the general manager, Al Sandoval, he came over to us and he did absolutely nothing. One of the cashiers behind the counter apologize for Art Green's behavior and she even (one of your employee) notice how rude he was toward us.

I'm sure you will agree this is not acceptable, especially in a restaurant with this reputation, atmosphere, and cost. I certainly hope that some kind of staff change or other uncommon occurrence is to blame.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 19, 2012 06:23AM

Not a Happy Camper Wrote:
> Over past fifteen years, my family and I have
> spent many enjoyable hours (not to mention a fair
> amount of money) at Old Country Buffet in Fairfax,
> VA restaurant. I know their associates, cook,
> waiter(s), and etc. and think of them as part of
> my family, so I was all the more shocked by my
> incredibly disappointing experience on Saturday
> 03/10/2012 at 6:40pm.
>
> Here's what happened. My family and I entered
> their Fairfax location. After waiting for a very
> long time at register for someone to sit us, my
> wife, son and I found place to sit and put plates
> on the table. All of a sudden the manager, Art
> Green, came to our table angry and start talking
> loud and very rude to myself and my wife. He then
> basically kicked us out of restaurant to seat
> other two couple. His attitude was unprofessional
> and extremely disappointing. Even worse when I
> asked to speak to the general manager, Al
> Sandoval, he came over to us and he did absolutely
> nothing. One of the cashiers behind the counter
> apologize for Art Green's behavior and she even
> (one of your employee) notice how rude he was
> toward us.
>
> I'm sure you will agree this is not acceptable,
> especially in a restaurant with this reputation,
> atmosphere, and cost. I certainly hope that some
> kind of staff change or other uncommon occurrence
> is to blame.

I don't agree. You seemed to have taken upon yourself to find a seat. If there is a sign that says wait to be seated, it's there for a reason. You don't seem very bright, Rainman.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 05:34AM by Priapus.

Posted by: Frank Cady ()
Date: June 19, 2012 06:51AM

NAWT say,"But the absolute worst place to eat has got to be BRION's GRILLE across from GMU.
They consistently serve God awful crap disguised as food in their restaurant and at many GMMU events. GMU faculty, staff, and student body should boycott Brion's culinary genocide"

Interesting, after never going to the place in my 30+ years around these parts I ate their 3 times in the month of May. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. I found the Jay Marsh hamburger to be better than some of the gourmet hamburger joints I've tried. Place seems very popular. Then again The Old Country Buffett is very popular but I find the food quite lacking in flavor. At least I didn't get sick after each time I ate at Brion's Grille. Ate at The Bungalow down in Franconia on Sunday night and oh my was feeling it coming out in a hurry yesterday.

Posted by: Random Dude ()
Date: June 19, 2012 07:23AM

Don't forget everyone, you can check out your favorite (or least favorite) restaurant's latest health inspections here:

http://www.healthspace.com/Clients/VDH/Fairfax/Fairfax_Website.nsf

For example, the previous poster mentioned Bungalow in Franconia/Kingstowne. Their latest health inspection brought up 6 critical violations, including employees not washing hands, food not being held at the proper temperature, and utensils not being sanitized.

Posted by: Sarah S. ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:25AM

Pho Hot in Annandale

I came here because this place is next door to a place where I get gyros, and I was curious about their offerings. A lot of these small, Vietnamese places tend to specialize in one or two dishes, even though they may offer a full menu, so the trick is to find out what they do well. This place advertises pho in the window, but with a name "Saigon Crepes", I was curious to see how they fared with their banh xeo.

Right off the bat, I ordered some iced coffee, and I was disappointed at how weak the coffee looked coming out of the filter. They barely used any coffee grounds in the filter, and when I usually order it, the container is at least a third full. There was too much condensed milk in the glass, especially given the weakness of the coffee (and this is coming from somebody who prefers their Vietnamese coffee relatively sweet to serve as a dessert).

I ordered the banh khot (mini sun crepes) as an appetizer because I got confused, thinking I was ordering banh beo. I was surprised when these came out, but they ended up being pretty tasty. It's a good way to get a taste of banh xeo when you don't want to commit to ordering an entire entree. They would taste better if they came with some herbs to put on top, but we just used what was on the table for our other entrees. Their nuoc cham (fish sauce) is on the weaker side.

I ordered the banh xeo, which comes with a side of lettuce, cucumber, pickled veggies, and mint. The texture of the banh xeo was just right, but the filling was mostly bean sprouts with a few pieces of shrimp and pork. Not a lot considering that you're paying almost $10 for it.

My mom ordered the pho saigon, hoping that she'd find good pho close to home. However, when the broth came out, it tastes anemic, and my mom joked about the MSG in the broth. I personally have a hard time telling whether I'm eating MSG, so I can't comment on that. I only know I got MSG-bombed after the meal, because MSG puts me in a nap-coma that has me waking up hours later, barely remembering my name.

Overall, I was optimistic about this place since it's a Vietnamese restaurant so close to home, but I found the food ultimately disappointing, especially for the prices. The restaurant in small, but clean, with relatively good service. I think the owners know that they are mostly catering to an older, white crowd who is less familiar with Vietnamese food, and the quality of the food tastes just like that. I would personally rather make the drive out to Eden Center if I ever want Vietnamese food while I am at home.

Posted by: Pomodoro sucks ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:33AM

Pomodoro in ffx. I went there because of the rating of the place, well ..it doesn'r worth it ..not at all it's gloomy with this silly oldies italian songs, tables look sticky and everything have a survivor from another era style..

the pizza was one of the worst I've ever had..the mozzarella was a blob and the pizza pan a chewy untasty hogwash

Posted by: worst pizza ever! ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:36AM

No the worst pizza place is ZPizza over off lee hwy in fairfax.

Possibly the worst pizza I have ever had. The whole wheat crust tasted stale and smelled odd. Some ingredients on pizza tasted off too. I ordered from ZPizza before, but from a different location, and everything always tasted fresh and good enough to justify their high prices on pizza. I hope they were just having a bad day. Otherwise, I don't think they will be in business for too long.

Posted by: REd RObin SUcks ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:53AM

Yech! Wrote:
> Red Robin in Sterling VA once served us raw
> burgers. We will never go back there!
> The manager came out and apologized and offered to
> fix our meal. All they did was bring out more
> "Raw" meat on buns for us. Fire that cook!

This has got to be one of the worst burgers I've ever tasted. My 6 year old son didn't even like his. I must admit I was quite surprised at the other reviews. We had heard it was a good place to get a burger so we decided to try it. Never again. In addition to the food having very little taste, other than the fries that were covered in a season salt, I ordered my burger medium well and was told, when asked, that it would not have any pink. After my 2nd bite, it was so pink that it turned my bun pink. The service was friendly enough and the portions were large, but the food itself was terrible.

Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 20, 2012 11:15AM

I've never had a bad burger at Red Robin. When someone says they got a raw burger I have to question their definition of "raw". Especially when they send it back and get another "raw" burger.

If you consider a little pink "raw" then that's on you, not the establishment. If you want a well done burger ask for well done burger and enjoy your overcooked gray meat!

Posted by: Captain 0bvious ()
Date: June 20, 2012 02:52PM

I'll co-sign for Blue Ocean and Curry Mantra among the worst local food joints. Overpriced, overrated.

Harvest Moon in Falls Church. Lowest quality Chinese food I've ever laid eyes on; buffet-style.

Duke Kabob in Alexandria. Rip-off. Only 12 bucks for a bunch of plain bread, bland white rice and feta cheese thrown on a plate? Pass.

Magill's Famous Pizza in Annandale. Just don't.

Barnside Diner in Alexandria. Disappointing, even by greasy-spoon joint standards. Go for some Amphora, Bentley's or Celebrity Deli instead.

Old Country Buffet, or Ol' Dirty Buffett/O.D.B. as I like to refer to it. The only difference between each dish is the ratio of corn syrup to lard. Truly repulsive fare.

La Tolteca in Fairfax Station. Here's a Mexican restaurant that cannot make proper QUESO DIP. Overpriced bar and food, exceptionally awful despite its relatively high volume of customers.

Date: June 20, 2012 03:06PM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Fat Tuesday's. Far from an ideal spot to eat OR for drinks, although some of the bands that frequent the stage are above decent.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:18PM

anywhere that advertises they use Hal-al meat to cook with. Sure the meat is clean in the eyes of thier god but usualy evreything else is f'ing disgusting about those places. I guess the Qu'ran, Koran or whatever doesn't mention that any eating area should be free of cockroaches and thier feces.

Date: June 20, 2012 04:27PM

In addition to 29 Diner:

Eastern Market Fairfax City
King Kabob Fairfax City

The worst of all: La Granja De Oro Peruvian Restaurant on Annandale Road. Horrible. They might as well have handed us a salt shaker, and said, here have high blood pressure and a stroke.

Date: June 20, 2012 04:35PM

Quite unfortunate what's become of King Kabob. Before the fire that rendered KK out of business, the food was incredible and a well-known local favorite. Since the place re-opened every aspect of the restaurant has gone downhill(food quality, portions, service, efficiency etc).

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:48PM

I really liked the burger at Red Robin in Fair Lakes. BTW, Little Richard (ask your parents) went to the Old Country Buffet recently because he wanted to "see how the locals eat". Anyway, I'll put in a vote for the NVCC cafeteria as the worst place to eat.

Posted by: Facts ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:55PM

Captain 0bvious Wrote:
> Oh yeah, forgot to mention Fat Tuesday's. Far from
> an ideal spot to eat OR for drinks, although some
> of the bands that frequent the stage are above
> decent.

This surprises me (I agree with the others on your list that I have been to). Pretty decent Cajun and Creole food and the beers -- and they have lots of them -- are pretty cheap. Among the worst? Please elaborate.

Thx

Posted by: NAWT ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:05PM

FAT TUESDAY'S is good. Great place to hang out. Cajun Popcorn is awesome with that sherry sauce.

Agree - La Tolteca in Burke is horrible.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:15PM

Not a Happy Camper Wrote:
> Over past fifteen years, my family and I have
> spent many enjoyable hours (not to mention a fair
> amount of money) at Old Country Buffet in Fairfax,
> VA restaurant. I know their associates, cook,
> waiter(s), and etc. and think of them as part of
> my family, so I was all the more shocked by my
> incredibly disappointing experience on Saturday
> 03/10/2012 at 6:40pm.
>
> Here's what happened. My family and I entered
> their Fairfax location. After waiting for a very
> long time at register for someone to sit us...

Is seating people something they do for dinner service? I've never had to wait to be seated for breakfast or lunch. On the other hand, I haven't been to OCB in a long time, so things could have changed.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:16PM

Hay Zeus Wrote:
> anywhere that advertises they use Hal-al meat to
> cook with. Sure the meat is clean in the eyes of
> thier god but usualy evreything else is f'ing
> disgusting about those places. I guess the Qu'ran,
> Koran or whatever doesn't mention that any eating
> area should be free of cockroaches and thier
> feces.

Kabob Corner uses halal meat and everything I've had there has been great.

Posted by: j2012 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:18PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Mario's in Arlington

I love the chicken and cheese from that spot! The pizza is eh IMO. Should be called Mario's cheesesteaks instead of Mario's pizza.

why don't you like it?

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:29PM

hoocoodanode Wrote:
> Hay Zeus Wrote:
> -----
> > anywhere that advertises they use Hal-al meat
> to
> > cook with. Sure the meat is clean in the eyes
> of
> > thier god but usualy evreything else is f'ing
> > disgusting about those places. I guess the
> Qu'ran,
> > Koran or whatever doesn't mention that any
> eating
> > area should be free of cockroaches and thier
> > feces.
>
> Kabob Corner uses halal meat and everything I've
> had there has been great.

I've been there too, while the food is tasty the inside is grimy and dingy.

Date: June 20, 2012 05:34PM

Facts Wrote:
> Captain 0bvious Wrote:
> -----
> > Oh yeah, forgot to mention Fat Tuesday's. Far
> from
> > an ideal spot to eat OR for drinks, although
> some
> > of the bands that frequent the stage are above
> > decent.
>
> This surprises me (I agree with the others on your
> list that I have been to). Pretty decent Cajun
> and Creole food and the beers -- and they have
> lots of them -- are pretty cheap. Among the
> worst? Please elaborate.
>
> Thx

A few years back, the food being inexpensive was its only saving grace. Now they've raised prices as if to suggest quality or decent portion when realistically, neither is coming your way. I've had food served improperly cold(fries, hot sandwiches, wings) and most selections on their (short) menu are obscenely greasy even by bar food standards.

Drink prices are equally jacked-up. Where else charges $16 for a pitcher of low-end domestic beer like Bud Light or $7 a rail drink in a tiny clear plastic cup, 75% full of ice?

Helllll naw.

Posted by: MPinkerton ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:25AM

Monroe's in Alexandria.

Let me enumerate the things that went wrong:

- Took the order for my daughter's spaghetti with meatballs, then came back later to say they don't have meatballs (??). Asked what kind of pasta she would like and she said bowtie. They brought her regular spaghetti and added chunks of mozzarella just because (without asking). Kid had to eat around it and was disgusted. Why bother asking for the type of pasta if you're going to ignore her?

- Ordered the tuna steak special, rare (as tuna steaks should be), but the kitchen delivered it med-well. To her credit, the waitress asked them to re-do it and comped us a dessert, but it took forever for a mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place. In the end, my mom disliked it anyway.

- My fettucini alfredo was very bland, even with the blackened chicken.

- We had just paid the check and hadn't even had a chance to finish off the rest of the bottle of wine we bought when the waitress informed us they had people waiting and that we needed to leave. She had poked around all through service and took her time getting us everything. If we were late to the next reservation, it was nobody's fault but her own. The best part is that we showed up 15 minutes early for our reservation, so we even got an early start. Talk about rude.

I"ll never go back, that's for sure.

Posted by: Worst Restaurant Experience In My Life! ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:39AM

Oh yeah? Has anyone every been to Bilbo Baggins in Alexandria?

My husband and I went to Bilbo Baggins for an early dinner. Even though there were only about 6 diners besides us, the available seating was horrible - only those god-awful super high chairs and tables - all hard wood, no cushions. They may be great for "20 somethings" but not for us. When we spotted a "regular height" table and chairs in the bar area, which was only 10 feet from the dining area, our waitress refused to seat us there. We TRIED to sit in the tall chairs, until we found we just couldn't - so my husband asked another server if we could move to the table in the bar, and he said we could. Our female server had the personality of a sloth - and was just about as quick with her serving. We ordered two "Bilbo's Burgers" on the assumption that it is pretty tough to ruin a burger. . . they found a way. We asked when ordering if they could substitute a real hamburger bun instead of an "English muffin" which is how these burgers are served, but told no. We also ordered two cokes - which appeared at our table as WARM cans of Coke and two cups of ice. No kidding. When our burgers arrived, they were accompanied with cold, greasy, "not fit for human consumption" fries. The burger was poorly cooked - almost burnt on the outside but VERY bloody inside (we ordered them "medium") and had "mystery gristle chunks" throughout the patty - which was VERY strange! I took two small bites of my burger and ate NO fries - and when the waitress came by to ask if we needed anything else, I said, "No - I'm DONE." She looked down and saw I had eaten NOTHING. Now, a good waitress and a reputable restaurant would have said something like, "I can see you did not like your meal, may we bring you something else. . . ? But she said nothing and just took my plate away. My husband tried to eat his burger patty, but even he couldn't eat the fries. The waitress again said nothing as she picked up his plate. This was the only time in my adult life I have not left a tip. Usually I can find SOMETHING good about a restaurant - food, atmosphere, service. . .but all were horrible in this case. Mr. Armellino, "chef and owner" - we paid almost $30 for this horrible dining experience. you should be ashamed. I must say, there is some truth to your advertising above your bar, and I took a picture of it. Please see the accompanying photo. Simply stated - a HORRIBLE dining experience!!
Attachments:
Bilbo Baggins.PNG

Posted by: Campo ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:46AM

the viscount noted," don't know if this is true any more... I remember recently being out around 4:30 and being on 29 and the lights were out."

29 Diner is only open after 10ish on Friday and Saturday these days.

j2012 said, "I love the chicken and cheese from that spot! The pizza is eh IMO. Should be called Mario's cheesesteaks instead of Mario's pizza."

pizza has always been cardboardy like chef boy r dee
i've always found the cheesesteaks acceptable

Disappointing...Don't bother to go..
Posted by: Disappointing...Don't bother to go.. ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:48AM

Il Porto Ristorante sucks ass!

In a prime location of Old Town, this restaurant just misses it completely. My husband & I knew something was up, when we noticed that several of the restaurants we walked by were full of people every where & Il Porto was rather empty. We tried to get into 2 other restaurants first but everything had a wait time. Ready for dinner, we decided to give Il Porto a try since there was no wait time & empty tables.

Empty tables in a restaurant with a restaurants around it completely full = something wrong. Something wrong indeed. Our salads came out first & they were not only not appetizing visually, they were just not good. Very bland & just rather a mess to look at. Then came our entrees. I got the fetuccine alfredo. Mediocre at best. My husband got the Fruit di Mare pasta plate, only it had no pasta, just sauce & seafood pieces. Rather odd. My husband commented that the scallops were rubbery & had a bad after taste. With the appetizers & entrees having not worked out, we skipped dessert & left vowing never to come back.

We'd strongly recommend passing by this place. Places like Olive Garden & Macaroni grill do better justice to Italian food than this place.

Posted by: Facts ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:26PM

Captain 0bvious Wrote:
> Facts Wrote:
> -----
> > Captain 0bvious Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Oh yeah, forgot to mention Fat Tuesday's. Far
> > from
> > > an ideal spot to eat OR for drinks, although
> > some
> > > of the bands that frequent the stage are
> above
> > > decent.
> >
> > This surprises me (I agree with the others on
> your
> > list that I have been to). Pretty decent Cajun
> > and Creole food and the beers -- and they have
> > lots of them -- are pretty cheap. Among the
> > worst? Please elaborate.
> >
> > Thx
>
> A few years back, the food being inexpensive was
> its only saving grace. Now they've raised prices
> as if to suggest quality or decent portion when
> realistically, neither is coming your way. I've
> had food served improperly cold(fries, hot
> sandwiches, wings) and most selections on their
> (short) menu are obscenely greasy even by bar food
> standards.
>
> Drink prices are equally jacked-up. Where else
> charges $16 for a pitcher of low-end domestic beer
> like Bud Light or $7 a rail drink in a tiny clear
> plastic cup, 75% full of ice?
>
> Helllll naw.

Thanks for the details. Anymore I only go during happy hour (when the beer prices really are reasonable to cheap) or to get the steamed shrimp on Tuesdays. Sounds like, other than that, things have really gone downhill. Too bad. Used to be good new orleans food for a deal, but it looks like now the menu has shrunk (no more etouffee) and the prices have gone up.

Damn

Date: June 21, 2012 05:28PM

Forgot one. Arthur Treacher's. Nasty, fat dripping shit.

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:51PM

If you like food poisoning, apparently GMU is the place to go.

Posted by: susans ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:06PM

every restaurant in Burke

Posted by: sadkasnjdkls ()
Date: June 21, 2012 08:19PM

bob evans, santini in chantilly, outback, nicks corner grill, caraba's

Posted by: Kee ()
Date: June 23, 2012 05:34AM

This is about Aaoji in Sterling, va: worst food of my life... I could cook better Indian food than what I ate there! Chat was so stale and cheap stuff for vegetarian dishes! Everything was cheap...foam plates....broken tables and chairs... bad employee attitudes...bad food... I am so surprised that they are still in business there! Highly recommend not to go there! You will be disappointed...

Posted by: no more willards ()
Date: June 23, 2012 07:39AM

Willards BBQ in Chantilly......Hands down, this was the WORST BBQ my wife and I have ever had in our lives. This is NOT pit BBQ - nothing was smoked or had a smoky flavor. The baked beans were inedible, with a bitter and burnt taste. My wife and I could only stomach one bite each of the baked beans. The potato salad was awful. Mustard and salt on potatoes does not make potato salad. The ribs were bland and the KC burnt ends were not KC burnt ends - I know, I am from KC. These people clearly need to rethink the idea about being in the BBQ business. No more Willard's for us. Save your money or go elsewhere.
Attachments:
6039308207_7ba326bf09.jpg

Posted by: red rocks does not ROCK!!! ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:03AM

NEVER again. And I mean NEVER. I came here on Cinco de Mayo just to get a margherita in a fun atmosphere and sat at the bar. I have NEVER experienced such a rude, unfriendly and inattentive waitstaff in my life. EVER. Seriously, would it be so difficult to crack a smile or be even remotely friendly? I mean; it IS part of your job to provide good customer service. Not to mention they were all bitching at each other. Here's a tip guys: If you don't like your job, quit and let someone who DESERVES it take over. And don't even get me started on how pitiful their salsa is....it was like tomato sauce with a little hot sauce thrown in. I'm not kidding; not so much as one fresh chopped tomato, onion or cilantro, nothin'....just sauce. Their queso; Velveeta would've been better. Had the Jimmy Buffet margherita and it tasted like orange juice with sour mix in it. The only decent things were the El Dorado margherita and the other patrons at the bar. Other than that; this place sucks BIG TIME!!!! Run for the border if you see this place.

Posted by: red rocks does not ROCK!!! ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:05AM

red rocks cafe/bar in chantilly

Posted by: good food bad service ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:17AM

Has anyone ever tried Frozen Dairy Bar & Boardwalk Pizza? I'm excited that they have frozen yogurt, yes, but let me tell you what bothers me about it.

a) It's kinda lame that they charge extra for sprinkles. I mean come on... really? They are sprinkles.and b) ... I don't normally complain about this, but the girl working there was so rude it was to the point that I was uncomfortable. Like I was interrupting her evening of texting or something. I get that high school girls gotta work to buy their manicures or whatever, but would it kill you to be personable?
Plus my frozen yogurt was $3.41. I gave her $3.51. She couldn't do the math. Not kidding. She kept insisting I gave her $4.51 (I know I didn't because I didn't have 4 singles) but whatever, I stopped arguing with the girl took my " extra dollar" back. Thanks.

plus...

"Do you have wifi?"

"We do, but we don't have the password."

"How can you not have the password?"

"The manager has it, but he won't give it out."

Thus was my Monty Python-esque introduction to Frozen Dairy Bar & Boardwalk Pizza. They serve reasonably good chili dogs, but having to deal with a counter-lady whose IQ likely does not break into high double digits made it painful experience.

Posted by: mad hatter ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:40AM

good food bad service Wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried Frozen Dairy Bar & Boardwalk
> Pizza?

Oh YES! Customer service there sucks. DEFINITELY take some time to do a search under this company for "Michael". There are posts about him threatening and harrassing customers. I mean wow. Also check the filtered reviews.

I placed a catering order with ten different items and it got cancelled TWO DAYS before my event by their manager Michael. He basically told me it wasn't cost effective to do my order even though their catering menu lists Large and Small sizes!?? If you're not going to accommodate SMALLs, don't list it on your catering menu.

The upsetting thing is over the phone, a week before my event, the catering manager approved my entire menu and then cancelled it two days before my event. I had to hustle last minute for a solution.

I think they're extremely unprofessional.

Posted by: worst eva ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:51AM

Miguels Mexican American. We did not stay at the hotel, but tried the restaurant as we live right around the corner. Miguel's is the worst restaurant we have ever been to. The space is large but over-lit and not very inviting. The furniture, silverware, placemats, etc. had seen better days. The margaritas were expensive but were made from a noxious bright-green margarita mix that was like lime-flavored tang.

Our food was very, very tasteless. No spices, not even salt or pepper were used. I think that much of it had been cooked in lard that had been re-used several times. It was horrible. My husband and I both felt sick after our meal. it was too bad as the ingredients appeared fresh and the presentation was attractive and clean and our waitress was ok.These people should choose one type of cuisine (there are several on the menu), take some classes in how to cook it, and stick with it.

It's no surprise that the spacious bar and restaurant areas were empty except for one other table on a Saturday night during an important football game. It was really, really sad.

Posted by: McCormick & Schmick's in McLean ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:55AM

McCormick and Schmick's is a well known, respected restaurant group. We have had dinner or lunch at the McLean location once or twice a year over the last 10 years, including Mother's Day in 2011.

Some weeks ago, we received a phone call from the restaurant asking us to come back again for Mother's day. So I made reservations for 5 - two mothers, one expecting mother, and two adult men.

We arrived on time, were seated promptly, and given menus. Most tables, but not all, in our area were full. We waited almost 10 minutes before the waiter arrived. He took our drink orders, and we waited almost 10 more minutes before the drinks arrived. We gave him our brunch/dinner orders.

After about 45 minutes our orders had not arrived. The waiter returned only once to ask if we wanted more bread, which we declined. Finally, I got up and walked to the kitchen area and told another waiter about our long wait and that I would like to speak to the manager. He said he would let her know. About 3 or 4 minutes later, 3 male waiters showed up with our respective plates and left.

One of our party (one of the mothers) said her food did not look like the Rigatone she ordered. It appeared to be salmon with stuffed crab meat. Almost immediately and before we could say anything, a lady arrived and replaced this plate with a plate of Rigatone. She did not say identify herself, so I asked if she was the manager and she said yes. She seemed oblivious to our long wait. The food was very good, well prepared and welcome after a long wait. But the service, while polite, was unacceptably delayed.

Given this was Mother's Day, we can understand some problems handling a big crowd, but our wait was way too long. No compensation or explanation was offered other than "sorry the kitchen was so slow." Frankly, this is a big time restaurant which should have been better pepared for Mother's day. We will make other plans next year.

Posted by: No Pasa Thai Cuisine ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:58AM

That's nothing compared to Pasa Thai Cuisine off Old Chain Bridge Rd, in McLean. Probably one of the worst Thai restaurants in the world.

Posted by: dont go to wildfire in mclean ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:06AM

Had the 7 oz. filet last night with a party of five, each of whom had the 10 oz. versions. Undeniably the worst, most embarrassingly ill-prepared cut of meat I've ever been served. I have literally done better on my own at a grocery store. It was loaded with tendons, tough, cooked to the proper temperature but with the wrong method (saw too little heat on the sides to get the fat to begin melting), and COMPLETELY UNSEASONED. Absolutely unacceptable. I knew something was wrong when I saw the variety of "crusts" and sauces they offered - it means they don't know how to cook a proper cut of meat.

I noticed that only the steaks & chops were "aged", and that the filet section of the menu made no such mention. I asked the server, and he confirmed that the filets are cut fresh (either daily or to order, I'm not certain). An aged cut would have been far more tender and enjoyable, but there's no excuse for a filet to chew like an undercooked ribeye.Started with the bisque soup, which I did enjoy. Good temperature and flavor.

The cornbread they bring to the table wasn't bad but was a little quirky...it did go well with the soup though.The baked sweet potato was tasty. The cheesecake was unmemorable, and I imagine that would be true no matter what they smothered on it. The rest of the dessert options looked tired and not especially appealing - the key lime pie might have been an exception but the server said it was very rich, so I skipped it.

The wine selection wasn't bad, and we were advised that a number of bottles were half-price on Monday, even though we went on a Tuesday.The atmosphere and decor are absolutely top-notch - one of the more beautifully done restaurants of this type I had seen. However, that didn't stop "Margaritaville"-shirt wearing scruffy mall-walkers from plopping down. This is, after all, a mall restaurant. However, it fancies itself as something far more special.The "three course" dinner option is probably not a bad way to go, but you have to avoid the filet - and actually, probably any cut of beef - because they honestly don't know how to get any part of it right except the temperature.Our server wasn't bad, but wasn't extremely experienced (just polite).

You can tell a high-quality "career" server at a nice steakhouse...they speak the language clearly and have no visible neck tattoos. Ours met neither criteria.Expect to pay about $50 a head with tip, etc. And expect to have felt robbed for the experience.

Posted by: kung pow ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:10AM

No Pasa Thai Cuisine Wrote:
> That's nothing compared to Pasa Thai Cuisine off
> Old Chain Bridge Rd, in McLean. Probably one of
> the worst Thai restaurants in the world.

Oh really? Try Neisha Thai Cuisine at Tysons's Mall.

So a random server accidentally dumps a bowl of fish sauce down the back of my poplin dress shirt. Yeah, that sucked... I got an apology and was offered a free beer. "How about you comp me for one the beers I've already ordered so I can go home and shower?" "No, but you can stay and have your next beer on the house." The food at Neisha is rather boring, but it's probably serviceable for non-adventurous eaters or children with simple palates.

Posted by: Wasabi ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:23AM

Well there's Wasabi

Great concept with the belt. Really good marketing for all the unbeknown tourists of Tysons Corner Center.

I would NOT recommend this place, EVER. The sushi rice is horrid, the fish on the rice is as thin as paper, and there is barely any selection.

You are paying more for the experience than anything. The wait staff are Okay, but take a very long time to come back and check up on you.

The food isn't that good, and semi overpriced. Definently only come here when I have a quick craving and leave, but even now I'm kind of over this place and opt for the Pay by Weight Fro-Yo place one floor above them.

DO NOT GO HERE.

Posted by: I LOAAAAAAAAAAAATHE IHOP!!!! ()
Date: June 23, 2012 09:53AM

ihop in centerville I LOAAAAAAAAAAAATHE IHOP!!!!

even on thier 1/2 of nights in charlottesville,i hate ihop! I would never choose to go there even after a nght of drinking and it's 24/7. One time I decided to go b/c my friends were hungry so I went and decided not to eat of course. I asked for a milkshake...our waiter said they only had chocolate and vanilla---when I really wanted a strawberry. I asked if they didn't have that and he said NO....two seconds later I saw a different waiter walking by with one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked him again (he was exxxxxxxxxtremeelyyyyy sloww at doing eeeverything) and finally he said oh yes we can make it!!

ahhh!!!!!!! NEVER GOING THERE EVER AGAIN NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Posted by: dont go here ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:00AM

McLean 1910 Restaurant
1394 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, VA 22101
703-356-1700

The staff is rude and inept. The wait staff is totally untrained. The restaurant acts like they have never eaten at any other restaurant and that the customers have no idea of what to expect.

A very bad experience. I would never go back even if the meal was free and would recommend that everyone else stay away.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: June 23, 2012 11:14AM

fascinating............
Attachments:
niggas posting in a troll thread.jpg

Posted by: Arlington blvd. ()
Date: June 23, 2012 01:33PM

how many peeps post under the name gordon blvd.?

there's a red rocks in chantilly?

Posted by: _Gunner ()
Date: June 23, 2012 03:20PM

dont go to wildfire in mclean Wrote:
> Had the 7 oz. filet last night with a party of
> five, each of whom had the 10 oz. versions.
> Undeniably the worst, most embarrassingly
> ill-prepared cut of meat I've ever been served. I
> have literally done better on my own at a grocery
> store. It was loaded with tendons, tough, cooked
> to the proper temperature but with the wrong
> method (saw too little heat on the sides to get
> the fat to begin melting), and COMPLETELY
> UNSEASONED. Absolutely unacceptable. I knew
> something was wrong when I saw the variety of
> "crusts" and sauces they offered - it means they
> don't know how to cook a proper cut of meat.
>
> I noticed that only the steaks & chops were
> "aged", and that the filet section of the menu
> made no such mention. I asked the server, and he
> confirmed that the filets are cut fresh (either
> daily or to order, I'm not certain). An aged cut
> would have been far more tender and enjoyable, but
> there's no excuse for a filet to chew like an
> undercooked ribeye.Started with the bisque soup,
> which I did enjoy. Good temperature and flavor.
>
> The cornbread they bring to the table wasn't bad
> but was a little quirky...it did go well with the
> soup though.The baked sweet potato was tasty. The
> cheesecake was unmemorable, and I imagine that
> would be true no matter what they smothered on it.
> The rest of the dessert options looked tired and
> not especially appealing - the key lime pie might
> have been an exception but the server said it was
> very rich, so I skipped it.
>
> The wine selection wasn't bad, and we were advised
> that a number of bottles were half-price on
> Monday, even though we went on a Tuesday.The
> atmosphere and decor are absolutely top-notch -
> one of the more beautifully done restaurants of
> this type I had seen. However, that didn't stop
> "Margaritaville"-shirt wearing scruffy
> mall-walkers from plopping down. This is, after
> all, a mall restaurant. However, it fancies itself
> as something far more special.The "three course"
> dinner option is probably not a bad way to go, but
> you have to avoid the filet - and actually,
> probably any cut of beef - because they honestly
> don't know how to get any part of it right except
> the temperature.Our server wasn't bad, but wasn't
> extremely experienced (just polite).
>
> You can tell a high-quality "career" server at a
> nice steakhouse...they speak the language clearly
> and have no visible neck tattoos. Ours met neither
> criteria.Expect to pay about $50 a head with tip,
> etc. And expect to have felt robbed for the
> experience.

You may have had a bad experience at Wildfire and perhaps it's not your idea of a good value, given that its a fairly expensive place. But its certainly not one of the worst places to eat in Northern VA, its probably one of the best.

Date: June 23, 2012 03:35PM

dont go here Wrote:
> McLean 1910 Restaurant
> 1394 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, VA 22101
> 703-356-1700
>
> I would never go back even if the meal was free and would recommend that
> everyone else stay away.

That place looks like it's closed from the outside. Which is surprising, cuz it wasn't open for very long.

Maybe they can put another crappy pizza joint there. Lord know there aren't enough in McLean.

Posted by: not so golden ()
Date: June 24, 2012 01:10PM

Ive got one for you...Golden House in woodbridge. We only ordered from here because no one answered at our usual place. Should have just done without. Shrimp chow mein had barely any shrimp and no flavor and was very soggy. General Tso's chicken was too sweet. Never had it like that before....think we got the wrong food. Never again.........

Posted by: KikiRiki ()
Date: June 24, 2012 01:15PM

nah KikiRiki is far worse. This is the worst restaurant in the country. the good reviews must be written by the owner. This place is dirty. Just pay attention the waitress dries the table set with the same cloth they use to dry their hands and countertop. Ewww. The servers are rude and takes forever to bring your order. Worst they bring you the entrees before the appetizer, and once they take your order they dont care about you. Dont go to this place. Now I understand why they have another restaurant with a different name across Manassas Mall. It is the same service and quality. I have been there without notice is the same owner. Eww. Never again!!

Posted by: lueinyon ()
Date: June 24, 2012 01:18PM

I had really horrible experience in Honey Pig. This place has terrible service with terrible food. I can see that people like this place, cuz it opens for 24hrs. However, they have average bbq and side dishes were so unfresh and dried out!!!!!! The servers in this restaurant were very unkind and gave impression to make people to eat fast to turn table as fast they can. I totally recommend other bbq places in Annadale which they have way better service and quality foods!!
Attachments:
IMG_8062-773541.JPG

Pages: 12345AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 5

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.