HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
refugees from Reston Association Command and control approach resent Attempt by Reston residents to control Herndon
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: November 20, 2008 07:41AM

Describing them selves as refugees from the Reston Association's command and control approach to the most minute aspects of property ownership Ron and Jan Shubert are dismayed to learn about the formation of the Alliance for Henson's future. They write in the current Fairfax County Times.

They point out that two of the Alliance members, Don and his wife Chris Grifin don't even live in Herndon and are not eligible to vote.

We have the "Alliance for Better Government" here in Reston which control every aspect of both boards here in REston the RA board and the Community Center board. Without endorsement from the Alliance a citizen has little or no chance to gain a seat. Both organizations do what they want and promote what they want with little if any input by citizens.

The Reston Association has promoted it's "Nature Center" and Document Revision giving itself more control by every means under it's control including large billboard sized banners bought with public money. They favored closing many of the local smaller pools as a result of it's own study paper. A recent focus group described the situation in Reston as a hierarchy with little opportunity of citizens to influence the board either by speaking for three minutes before the regular meeting begins or by running for a board seat.

The Reston Community Center run at great expense over the cost of other Fairfax County rec centers. It has never to my knowledge taken a citizen endorsed suggestion in it's programs. There is no suggestion box in it's lobby or process for a citizen suggestion to be acted upon. In the last election 200 citizens "voted" in it's "preference pol" out of 56,000 who live and pay here.

No wonder Ron and Jan Shubert do not want this new "Alliance" influencing it's own candidate's in Herndon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: refugees from Reston Association Command and control approach resent Attempt by Reston residents to control Herndon
Date: November 20, 2008 10:55PM

It's significant that they use the term refugees as if fleeing a totalitarian regime. I think it was last year that it was revealed through tax records that Reston was leading all of the tax areas in decline in property values. Since then they no longer reveal which area is declining the most. Now who knows who is leading in declining values with the economy as it is. But I feel if it can be demonstrated that the minute regulations do not help maintain property values well the whole argument is subject to question. Are we becoming a no question society with "refugees fleeing? Can we question anything anymore? Have we become a town of 'fluoride heads?'

Re: refugees from Reston Association Command and control approach resent Attempt by Reston residents to control Herndon
Posted by: rod...shut up ()
Date: November 21, 2008 01:23AM

not true, reston was the only area in fairfax county in which the median home price INCREASED from last year. all other areas decreased.

"Lorton, which clocked the highest percentage increase in sales, also had the largest drop in median sales price compared to last year, falling 41 percent to $327,500, according to Fulton. Only Reston posted a gain in median sales price, by 3.5 percent, compared to last year."

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=1489281

Date: November 21, 2008 04:52PM

Well the year before Reston was next to the last while McLean which has no covenant group gained one percent in property value.

Do we have statistics which prove consistently year after year Reston leads in property values?

I think Lorton was lowest that year also.

I favor a more democratic approach and being fair and not making people feel they do not have to become move out of town.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: November 22, 2008 07:51AM

Rod, some of you points are valid but others are skewed by mis-information. A 20 year “Restonite” with a Herndon mailing address, I would like to address your points:

“Describing them selves as refugees from the Reston Association's command and control approach to the most minute aspects of property ownership Ron and Jan Shubert are dismayed to learn about the formation of the Alliance for Herndon’s future. They write in the current Fairfax County Times. They point out that two of the Alliance members, Don and his wife Chris Griffin don't even live in Herndon and are not eligible to vote.”

The Alliance has nothing to do with Reston. It is an LLC set up by the O’Reilly law firm to promote their candidates in the next Town Election. If you are familiar with Herndon history, you already know that O’Reilly was ousted by town voters because of his failed attempt to turn Herndon into a sanctuary for illegal aliens with the tax funded $175,000 day labor center.

In addition to the Griffins (insurance agents with Nationwide who cater to immigrant insurance needs), the Alliance also includes outsider and “deeply interested member” is Juan Carlos Ruiz, with ties to Casa de Maryland. The Alliance (O’Reilly’s) reached out to Juan in hopes he will energize the town’s Hispanic voters and achieve the Alliance’s goal – to return Herndon to the way it was when O’Reilly was mayor.

======

“We have the "Alliance for Better Government" here in Reston which control every aspect of both boards here in Reston the RA board and the Community Center board. Without endorsement from the Alliance a citizen has little or no chance to gain a seat. Both organizations do what they want and promote what they want with little if any input by citizens.

The Reston Association has promoted it's "Nature Center" and Document Revision giving itself more control by every means under it's control including large billboard sized banners bought with public money. They favored closing many of the local smaller pools as a result of it's own study paper. A recent focus group described the situation in Reston as a hierarchy with little opportunity of citizens to influence the board either by speaking for three minutes before the regular meeting begins or by running for a board seat”

All of Reston does not fall under the RA umbrella. Deepwood is not part of RA. Town Center communities are not part of RA, or are any new communities that opt out.

RA DOES offer citizen input and it also holds public elections if you want to volunteer to serve on the board or any of its committees. Although it is a bit more dictatorial than I prefer (why I bought in a non-RA area of Reston), if citizens WANT to be involved, the opportunity is there.
======

“The Reston Community Center run at great expense over the cost of other Fairfax County rec centers. It has never to my knowledge taken a citizen endorsed suggestion in it's programs. There is no suggestion box in it's lobby or process for a citizen suggestion to be acted upon. In the last election 200 citizens "voted" in it's "preference pol" out of 56,000 who live and pay here.”

The RCC is a thorn in my side as well. Since much of the original Small Tax District has opted out, we in Reston Proper must now pick up the tab. I am equally concerned that nearly all Fairfax County community centers are county funded, Reston home owners are still pinged with the tab … along with the tab for all the other county community centers. What I find especially disconcerting is ALL employees of all businesses in Reston are treated as “residents” with preferred rates for services.

You also asked: “Do we have statistics which prove consistently year after year Reston leads in property values?”

Simply put, the very rules and regulations some find oppressive are the very rules and regulations that shielded Reston from the housing market implosion. Contrary to what some of had said, Reston didn’t escape without minor bruising – properties in Reston did not increase in value, they did however depreciate at a much lower percentage than neighboring communities. As an example, my property depreciated about 15%, which really does not put me at an advantage because like property in other communities sell for much less. In a buyers market, with tight lending, price is at the top of the list.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.