HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good place to get a computer fixed
Posted by: Computer help ()
Date: June 07, 2013 05:56PM

Anyone know a good reliable place I can bring a computer to get fixed - full of blue screens

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good place to get a computer fixed
Posted by: buFHV ()
Date: June 07, 2013 06:32PM

I took an Imac with a bad hard drive to Microcenter at about 8 p.m. one evening. It was ready for me to pick up the next day by 3 p.m. I've heard other people say good things about them too (including the "genius" at the Apple store who told me my machine was too old for Apple to work on). One thing is that it's very hard to get through to them by phone. You might have to email or just take the machine to them.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 07, 2013 06:35PM

I think computers have become disposable. Why get it fixed when you can get a newer better one for a few dollars more.

Posted by: Computer Loser ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:01PM

Go to the place where the mom fixes shrimp. She is a computer whiz and what a MILF!!!

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:06PM

7-11 at Heritage Drive in Annandale, those guys are pros with IT stuff.

Posted by: chuck it ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:44PM

If it is more than 3 years old, chuck it in the trash and buy new.

Posted by: John R. Wadsworth ()
Date: June 07, 2013 07:51PM

chuck it Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it is more than 3 years old, chuck it in the
> trash and buy new.

He is right. They are becoming disposable. If you pay the premium for the fastest available or near fastest these days you might get 5 years out of a computer. If you bought the midrange to lower priced pc or laptop 3 years is reasonable.

Blue screens are usually hardware failures, such as bad memory, bad sector on hard drive etc. Look into running memtest and a check-disk type program (freely available) to see if your memory or hard drive have problems respectively. Memory can be replaced cheaply and hard drive bad sectors can be marked to not be used.

Posted by: GordonBlvd ()
Date: June 07, 2013 08:21PM

Tough One Wrote:
> 7-11 at Heritage Drive in Annandale, those guys
> are pros with IT stuff.

+1 LoLz....

Link unrelated

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1180453.html

Posted by: cMxby ()
Date: June 08, 2013 02:58AM

Stabitha Wrote:
> I think computers have become disposable. Why get
> it fixed when you can get a newer better one for a
> few dollars more.

The thing is that for many people "a few dollars more" is more dollars than they have. Most tasks that most people use computers for can be done adequately on almost anything sold in the last five years. If you can solve your problem for, say, $200, instead of buying a new computer for $600, $1000 or more, why wouldn't that be the smart thing to do?

Posted by: AG ()
Date: June 08, 2013 07:33AM

Agreed with the above poster. If it's a few years old then it'll be more cost effective in the long run just to to buy a new one. You can get a pretty decent general machine these days for around $300. If you're having it fixed then I would expect the bill to be no less than $100, and the issues might be reoccurring.

Really there's only a few things that might be causing the issue: hard drive, ram, motherboard, power supply, graphics, and the software itself. And all of those can be easily narrowed down with a specific program. After that if it's the hardware that's at fault then you'll pay out of your pockets for labor and the part itself. Defective parts with newer versions such as ram will cost more to source it if your machine needs an older version of it.

If you're willing to put towards some effort, you can probably even do it yourself if you go on some forums such as overclock.net or hardforum.com

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 08, 2013 09:12AM

I think computers have become disposable. Why get it fixed when you can get a newer better one for a few dollars more.

this. any teenager should be able to pull your data off your hard drive (unless it's mechanically broken). then get a new computer.

Posted by: The best ()
Date: June 08, 2013 09:18AM

Baileyssyetems. The service is the best!

http://www.baileysystems.net/

Posted by: tYTFv ()
Date: June 08, 2013 10:58AM

AG Wrote:
> Agreed with the above poster. If it's a few years
> old then it'll be more cost effective in the long
> run just to to buy a new one. You can get a pretty
> decent general machine these days for around $300.
> If you're having it fixed then I would expect the
> bill to be no less than $100, and the issues might
> be reoccurring.
>
You won't find much for $300. If you like the computer you have, especially if it's a higher-end model a few years old, at least get a diagnosis and repair estimate before you toss it.
http://www.costco.com/all-laptops.html?langId=-1&storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&identifier=all-laptops&categoryId=30207&sortBy=PriceMin%7C0

Posted by: idiots ()
Date: June 08, 2013 11:42AM

Idiots....Computers aren't useless after 3 years....or 7 years....maybe 10 years they will be too slow for enjoyment. Unless you're one of these trolls playing hardcore games on it, you will not need a new one for a while. I 3 laptops: 1 brand new for work, 1 4 years old, and a 10 year old dell xps. They all run office and search the internet at around the same speeds. Only stupid moron's tell you that computers are obsolete after a few years.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 08, 2013 12:19PM

idiots Wrote:
> Only stupid
> moron's tell you that computers are obsolete after
> a few years.

It's all personal preference. Some people are perfectly satisfied driving a Hyundai where as others prefer a BMW or a Benz. Some people will happily fuck a fat smelly skank, where as others prefer a tall thin blond hottie with a tight ass and nice firm tits.

It's all up to the user!

Posted by: Two Cents ()
Date: June 08, 2013 02:34PM

Computer help Wrote:
> Anyone know a good reliable place I can bring a
> computer to get fixed - full of blue screens

You might try geekpolice.net instead of replacing your computer or messing around with it. They're very good at helping you fix your own computer without much work. In fact, I'm using them today to remove the FBI Moneygram virus.

Posted by: Bobby Darwin ()
Date: June 08, 2013 03:58PM

idiots Wrote:
> Only stupid
> moron's tell you that computers are obsolete after
> a few years.

For me time is money, I browse the web a lot and I have found older machines to be insufferable. I was using an entry level laptop that was less than 3 years old recently and the internet was slow. I reinstalled Windows on it to see if it would speed up but it was still slow.

Entry and lower mid level computers don't have much of a lifespan unless all you are doing is writing in word or updating spreadsheets.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: June 09, 2013 12:12PM

Bobby Darwin Wrote:
> idiots Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Only stupid
> > moron's tell you that computers are obsolete
> after
> > a few years.
>
> For me time is money, I browse the web a lot and I
> have found older machines to be insufferable. I
> was using an entry level laptop that was less than
> 3 years old recently and the internet was slow. I
> reinstalled Windows on it to see if it would speed
> up but it was still slow.
>
> Entry and lower mid level computers don't have
> much of a lifespan unless all you are doing is
> writing in word or updating spreadsheets.

All computers surf the web at the same speed. It does not matter what kind of hardware you have. It all depends on your internet connection.

Posted by: dingbat ()
Date: June 09, 2013 07:21PM

Hey dingbat, all computers dont' surf at the same speed. While they may share the the same maximum connections speed, the hardware matters for loading. Java, Flash, Adobe....many things that require processing power and not bandwith. you ding bat. Go open 10 heavy content sites on a pentium 3 with 512 ram vs an I7 with 8gb and if you cant tell the difference then shut up and stop telling people you have any idea what you are talking about.......All this information at our fingertips and people are still morons

Posted by: P4 ()
Date: June 09, 2013 07:56PM

Even a 10 or 12 year old P4 can surf the Web, run office apps, and do just fine for many things. Additional memory, upgraded hard drive, and reinstalling Windows (or switching to Linux) are recommended. I am on such a machine right now, so this is first hand experience. (circa 2002 P4 2.4 GHz, 2GB RAM, Win XP)

I have a slightly newer hyperthreaded P4 (circa 2006) with 4GB memory and faster SATA drive that can surf to most Web sites with no discernible difference from my newest 2013 machine.

Very often people complain about a slow computer when it is just a cluttered Widows registry or fragmented HD that is to blame. Using something like Diskeeper 10 helps, and I usually either re-image or rebuild the Windows OS periodically.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: June 09, 2013 09:25PM

John R. Wadsworth Wrote:

>
> Blue screens are usually hardware failures, such
> as bad memory, bad sector on hard drive etc. Look
> into running memtest and a check-disk type program
> (freely available) to see if your memory or hard
> drive have problems respectively. Memory can be
> replaced cheaply and hard drive bad sectors can be
> marked to not be used.

I get blue screens with integral wireless NIC drivers all the time. I don't know why that is.

I think computers have plateaued... you only need so much hardware to do your average applications - surf, docs, etc.

I have an old Thinkpad that I have stretched out to five years so far. I added memory, SSD, and Win7x64 - it is like a new machine.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.