HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County School Budget
Posted by: FFXCTY ()
Date: May 25, 2013 07:46AM

Fairfax County School Board Adopts FY 2014 Budget

The Fairfax County School Board has adopted the Fairfax County Public Schools 2013-14 school year (FY 2014) Approved Budget of $2.5 billion, which includes compensation increases for employees and funds the final phase-in of mandated employee contributions to the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). The FY 2014 budget includes nearly 300 additional positions to address membership growth-projected to be 184,625 in FY 2014, an increase of 3,089 students-and student demographic changes, and is a 1.1 percent increase over the FY 2013 Approved Budget.

The budget, which takes effect July 1, includes a 2 percent market scale adjustment for all employees, effective January 1, 2014, as well as a 3 percent mandated salary adjustment to offset a 3 percent increase in the VRS employee contribution rate for those impacted participants.

In a separate motion, the Board also directed the Superintendent to develop an FY 2015 Proposed Budget that includes compensation increases for employees, with step increases as the Board’s preference. By this motion, the School Board has committed to compensation increases for employees in FY 2015.

“This was an extremely challenging budget process,” said School Board Chair Ilryong Moon. “The Board was committed to providing a salary increase for employees, but meeting the needs of a growing number of new students combined with a lower than requested transfer increase from Fairfax County limited our options.” FCPS receives nearly 70 percent of its funding from Fairfax County; this year, the county transfer increased by 2 percent, bringing the total funding provided by the County to $1.7 billion.

The FY 2014 Approved Budget includes $21.7 million to address student membership growth and changes in student demographics, adds 5.0 school psychologist and 9.0 social worker positions, increases support for advanced academics and Young Scholars by $0.5 million, expands world languages to five additional elementary schools, expands FECEP (Family and Early Childhood Education Program) to serve more than 100 additional students using grant and Priority Schools Initiative funding, and increases funding for preventive maintenance by $1.6 million. Other adjustments include increases for homebound and multiagency services, adjustments for contractual increases, and savings from employee turnover, bus inspections, and utilities.

FCPS is receiving one-time state incentive funding of $6.3 million by providing the required 2 percent mid-year compensation increase to all employees. Excluding the incentive funding, state aid decreased by $3.3 million compared to FY 2013 while funding from sales tax receipts is projected to increase by $9.1 million.

Ninety-three percent of FCPS positions are school-based and 7 percent are non-school based. Among the 10 Washington, D.C., metropolitan area school systems participating in the Washington Area Boards of Education Guide, FCPS has the lowest percentage of leadership team and management positions at 0.7 percent.

This year, FCPS asked to participate in the State Efficiency Review Program, which will help identify potential savings and highlight the district’s best practices. A final report will be presented on June 10 to the School Board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County School Budget
Posted by: alb ()
Date: May 25, 2013 10:10AM

And again, bus replacement was whittled from 90 new buses to zero new buses. The average age of a school bus is approaching 12 years, many with over 200K on the clock.

I think they are phasing out transportation and just not admitting it yet. I support this, Fairfax County parents are affluent enough to take their kids to school.

Towing is expensive, scrap the bus fleet while they can still be driven to the junkyard under their own power.

Posted by: mo money. ()
Date: May 25, 2013 10:23AM

We need to pay the teachers more since they cannot afford to live in the county, at least in the part of the county they desire like McLean or Oakton. Or we could just have them switch to working three months and have nine months off instead of the current 3 months off in summer.

Posted by: please we have what counts ()
Date: May 25, 2013 12:06PM

school spirit is expensive. without it, Cutco, Vector Marketing and Primerica would lose their competitive edges in the global marketplace.

it is also well known that Fairfax school bands produce the world's finest musicians.

Posted by: inaccuracies ()
Date: May 25, 2013 12:26PM

"Ninety-three percent of FCPS positions are school-based and 7 percent are non-school based. Among the 10 Washington, D.C., metropolitan area school systems participating in the Washington Area Boards of Education Guide, FCPS has the lowest percentage of leadership team and management positions at 0.7 percent."

This does not tell the whole story. Just because a position is "school based" does not mean the position is one where the person is directly responsible for student learning. A position can be made where a person sits at a school and is therefore called "school based". Everything depends on how you definitions of the words. This is not an apples to apples comparison across school systems.

Each position needs to be reviewed based on the job description. The SB needs to do heavy lifting here . . .

Posted by: Vance M ()
Date: May 25, 2013 12:48PM

billions of dollars for a bunch of overpaid babysitters

Posted by: PE teacher/Baby sitter ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:20PM

Vance M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> billions of dollars for a bunch of overpaid
> babysitters

LOL over paid Babysitters? I should be getting paid $612,000 dollars year working my so called 180 hours a day with my 170 kids I so called babysit. My neighbor is a babysitters earns about $20 dollars Per kid per day. she babysits 5-6 kids at a time. I have about 170 kids a day and I earn 56k a year. With my babysitter aid I have about 300 something a kid to babysit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.