HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bring the Tailgate to Tysons Leave the Stadium in DC
Posted by: Tysons Engineer ()
Date: April 04, 2013 08:41AM

Please share the link to get some groundswell about this concept if you are in favor of it; For additional concept drawings see the original link

Original Story on TheTysonsCorner.com

There has been a lot of discussion, and perhaps even partial agreement on the part of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, that interim construction and pop up retail would be a good fit for properties adjacent to Tysons Metro Stations until which time more permanent construction replaces it. There are a myriad of concepts that could work in Tysons, but one could be a perfect fit that could be great even if it lasted for several years.

Lerner Properties has been on hold with their Tysons development plans since they perceived the commercial real estate market had cooled in Tysons in 2011. After having excavated the property which encompasses 1775 Tysons Boulevard, they have sat idle for nearly two years. What many people might not know is that Lerner also owns the property directly adjacent to the Tysons Metro Station, currently an asphalt lot used for temporary parking of Silver Line construction workers.

This property has direct connection to the new metro station, and will stand as an eyesore until it is filled in with Lerner’s plans for a new hotel and residential tower, but there is a concept that might make this stop a destination, an amenity for residents and commuters, and create a true marketable product for Lerner.

Anyone who has been to National’s Stadium has likely noticed the carnival atmosphere surrounding the stadium at the Fairgrounds. The problem is a lot of Northern Virginian’s, many of whom work in Tysons, aren’t able to make it to the stadium on weekday nights to watch a game. Even with the silver line, some in Herndon or Ashburn would face a 90 minute drive or rail trip to a game, meaning they will have to leave work around 4pm to go to a game at 7pm. That’s not including any time to enjoy the atmosphere. Why not provide a Bullpen to the Fairgrounds that can bring in more Nats fans, provide a civic atmosphere in Tysons for residents and workers, and fill in a hole that in 6 months will serve no purpose.

Providing concessions, games, and seating to watch Nats games on a big screen is exactly what Tysons needs to create a sense of place in our community. Everyone wins. Food trucks will have a good location for evening service in Tysons, Lerner will gain funds from a currently unused property, residents get something to do when they come home from work, commuters can wait out the traffic while enjoying a Nats game.

FairGroundsTysons01.jpg

As a foot note I think this concept could work well for Ashburn and Redskins games as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 09:31AM by Tysons Engineer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Baseball is meant to be played DOWNTOWN!
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 04, 2013 08:49AM

Attachments:
no -1.gif

Re: Baseball is meant to be played DOWNTOWN!
Date: April 04, 2013 08:51AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .

Ha, any reason you would be against it? Otherwise the pit is just an asphalt hole sitting next to a prime metro location.

BRO!!!!!!! ......................games start at 1ish, 4ish, and 7ish.
Date: April 04, 2013 08:55AM

Tysons Corner.

NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.
Attachments:
why.gif

Re: BRO!!!!!!! ......................games start at 1ish, 4ish, and 7ish.
Date: April 04, 2013 09:10AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Tysons Corner.
>
> NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

Everything you are saying makes no sense. So nothing should be allowed in Tysons Corner? 115,000 people work in Tysons, I'd think some of them like baseball, drinking, and food.

Can I ask what part of Fairfax you live in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 09:12AM by Tysons Engineer.

Re: Bring Nats Stadium Fairgrounds Out To the Burbs
Posted by: No Way Jose ()
Date: April 04, 2013 09:17AM

Fuck Tyson's corner. That place = Fail.

Date: April 04, 2013 09:22AM

No Way Jose Wrote:
> Fuck Tyson's corner. That place = Fail.

Yep 1.2 billion dollars in tax revenue generated which helps keep residential tax rates lower and provides employment to Fairfax. Its a complete fail. All hail Centreville, the vision for the future.

Posted by: jettaman ()
Date: April 04, 2013 10:24AM

Hell, you could just do a farmers/food truck market there without any kind of baseball tie in and get some foot traffic through there.

I live in Reston and work (for now) in Arlington. It would be worth a look-see if I saw the goings on when the Silver line opens...

Posted by: Urban Planner ()
Date: April 04, 2013 10:38AM

No. I'm going to speak slowly and try to avoid getting too technical, so that you can understand. The area is what we in the profession refer to as a "clusterfuck".

Date: April 04, 2013 10:55AM

Urban Planner Wrote:
> No. I'm going to speak slowly and try to avoid
> getting too technical, so that you can understand.
> The area is what we in the profession refer to as
> a "clusterfuck".

And again, I ask, where are you from that is such a beautiful utopia of urbanism in Fairfax?

It takes time to change stuff, I have been one of the biggest critics of the county in the process. By your mindset though, nothing would have ever changed in Arlington, and that area would still look more like Houston Texas than it does today.

What contribution to society or discussion do you come with, except for snide comments that aren't backed by any proof. What roads in specific are this "clusterfuck"? Route 7 and Route 123 I bet, and guess what, you know nothing about Tysons if that is what you think defines it.

Posted by: XKdcJ ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:11AM

Tysons Engineer

Are you actually an engineer? Cause if you are, adding more people to an already crowded area creates what previous posters have defined as a clusterfuck. Tysons is already an overcrowded cesspool, bring fans to some fairground, make it metro accesible and you are asking for trouble.

Posted by: You can keep it ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:13AM

Dude, that area is a "cluster fuck." have you traveled or I should say "sat in gridlock" during the morning and afternoon rush IN Tyson's corner?
Fuck Tyson's Corner. Nice ugly metro rail running down the center, The place was better 15 years ago than it is today.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:14AM

XKdcJ Wrote:
> Tysons Engineer
>
> Are you actually an engineer? Cause if you are,
> adding more people to an already crowded area
> creates what previous posters have defined as a
> clusterfuck. Tysons is already an overcrowded
> cesspool, bring fans to some fairground, make it
> metro accesible and you are asking for trouble.

I have a P.E. I doubt you have an urban planning license though. PS adding more people DOESN't do that when those people are already there, and when the location you are talking about is at the metro.

If there is no parking provided, then people wont drive there, hence there wont be traffic.

PS Arlington added 15 million square feet of development over the past 20 years through proper planning without impact.

You are uneducated in the subject, so I'd suggest you read up. Additionally, we are talking about a small fairground... compared to 115,000 commuters, and 15,000 mall goers you are talking about a couple hundred people... likely the same people already in town.

Back your assertions up with atleast some defense, otherwise its just the same babble people use against proper land use that is disproven by every case known to man.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:15AM

You can keep it Wrote:
> Dude, that area is a "cluster fuck." have you
> traveled or I should say "sat in gridlock" during
> the morning and afternoon rush IN Tyson's corner?
> Fuck Tyson's Corner. Nice ugly metro rail running
> down the center, The place was better 15 years ago
> than it is today.

I live in Tysons and work in Tysons actually. My commute is 5 minutes... so you are a moron billy.

Posted by: Looney Tunes ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:16AM

Tysons Engineer - do you happen to be writing your manifestos from a small shack somewhere in Montana by any chance?

Posted by: JKVnL ()

And no, Route 7 and 123 is not the only clusterfuck of an intersection there. Route 7 and International, Route 123 and international, etc.. etc.. etc... Draw a 3 mile radius circle from the 123 an 7 intersections, and that is the clusterfuck

BTW,

I love having this same argument with you morons from the land of centreville whose only impression of Tysons is what you see while stuck in traffic on 495. Aint my fault you made bad choices in life, and it certainly isn't Tysons fault the only place you can get a job is in Tysons.

Just saying, has nothing to do with living in Tysons, or development in Tysons, its just the same petty bullshit I hear all the time. Wah. Wah. Wah.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:18AM

JKVnL Wrote:
> And no, Route 7 and 123 is not the only
> clusterfuck of an intersection there. Route 7 and
> International, Route 123 and international, etc..
> etc.. etc... Draw a 3 mile radius circle from the
> 123 an 7 intersections, and that is the
> clusterfuck

So intersections of Route 7 and Route 123. Are you slow? Try to keep up. I didnt say the intersection of Route 7 and 123, I said route 123 and 7.

Tysons is a lot more than that you jack ass. Perhaps look at a map. I live on Westpark, aint no traffic on Westpark. No traffic on Anderson. No traffic on Old Meadows. Aint no traffic in 95% of Tysons. But you morons keep sitting in your cars on Route 7 and 123. it cracks me up on my 5 minute commute home. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:18AM by Tysons Engineer.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:19AM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> BTW,
>
> I love having this same argument with you morons
> from the land of centreville whose only impression
> of Tysons is what you see while stuck in traffic
> on 495. Aint my fault you made bad choices in
> life, and it certainly isn't Tysons fault the only
> place you can get a job is in Tysons.
>
> Just saying, has nothing to do with living in
> Tysons, or development in Tysons, its just the
> same petty bullshit I hear all the time. Wah. Wah.
> Wah.
Attachments:
1363630344677.jpg

Posted by: LOLzzz ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:21AM

LOL for thinking we live in Centreville. As if its such a shitty place to live. I didnt know paying less for a place to live in an area which is not a bad location was a bad life choice. Enjoy your inflated rent and home prices, hope you survive the coming crash.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:22AM

BUT WE AS CITIZENS OF FAIRFAX COUNTY DO NOT WANT THE WASHINGTON AREA BASEBALL TEAM TO BE LOCATED WITHIN OUR BORDERS!
since you cannot figure it out, I wil hold your hand and list the top 10 reasons why bringing a baseball stadium to Tysons is a bad idea to us.

a) we have enuff traffic
b) we have enuff traffic
c) we have enuff traffic
d) we have enuff traffic
e) have you driven out of Tysons Corner? it's a pain in the ass to get to and from. Rt 7, Rt 66 still only TWO lanes. (edit - yeah, ppl in MD and DC really gonna love having to drive thru Arlington LoLz) Kinda stupid to put a REGIONAL stadium in a place that's 2) not a central location to yr ENTIRE region and b) already stuffed with traffic
f) we have enuff traffic
g) we have enuff traffic
h) dont really have a desire to bring more traffic to that particular part of the county
i) we have enuff traffic
j) WE HAVE ENOUGH F**KING TRAFFIC IN TYSONS CORNER TO LAST US TIL THE TWILIGHT OF THE GODS!

hope that helps.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:23AM by Gordon Blvd.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:23AM

LOLzzz Wrote:
> LOL for thinking we live in Centreville. As if its
> such a shitty place to live. I didnt know paying
> less for a place to live in an area which is not a
> bad location was a bad life choice. Enjoy your
> inflated rent and home prices, hope you survive
> the coming crash.

Wouldn't a crash in rental prices theoretically be a boon for someone who rents in Tysons? Your logic is impeccable. You must be a graduate of Centreville HS

Posted by: F67Td ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:24AM

95% of tysons is centered around Rte 123 and Rte 7, so i dont see how there is no traffic. Also if you work in tysons, your building id off of rte 7, Rte 123 or International. Not everyone works off of westpark drive jerk-off.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:27AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> BUT WE AS CITIZENS OF FAIRFAX COUNTY DO NOT WANT
> THE WASHINGTON AREA BASEBALL TEAM TO BE LOCATED
> WITHIN OUR BORDERS!
> since you cannot figure it out, I wil hold your
> hand and list the top 10 reasons why bringing a
> baseball stadium to Tysons is a bad idea to us.
>
> a) we have enuff traffic
> b) we have enuff traffic
> c) we have enuff traffic
> d) we have enuff traffic
> e) have you driven out of Tysons Corner? it's a
> pain in the ass to get to and from. Rt 7, Rt 66
> still only TWO lanes. (edit - yeah, ppl in MD and
> DC really gonna love having to drive thru
> Arlington LoLz) Kinda stupid to put a REGIONAL
> stadium in a place that's 2) not a central
> location to yr ENTIRE region and b) already
> stuffed with traffic
> f) we have enuff traffic
> g) we have enuff traffic
> h) dont really have a desire to bring more traffic
> to that particular part of the county
> i) we have enuff traffic
> j) WE HAVE ENOUGH F**KING TRAFFIC IN TYSONS
> CORNER TO LAST US TIL THE TWILIGHT OF THE GODS!
>
>
> hope that helps.

Brilliant GB, except if you had the reading comprehension of a 5 year old you could see that I am not talking about moving the fuckin stadium to Tysons you dolt.

Try reading, this time with your eyes. Thanks

Date: April 04, 2013 11:29AM

F67Td Wrote:
> 95% of tysons is centered around Rte 123 and Rte
> 7, so i dont see how there is no traffic. Also if
> you work in tysons, your building id off of rte 7,
> Rte 123 or International. Not everyone works off
> of westpark drive jerk-off.

Hahahaha, is it now? I didnt realize that. I suppose someone who is just a commuter or mall goer might think that. But in reality.

ForestPlan.JPG?uuid=wfa7DKwOEeGT5SImArM3

Thats like saying Arlington is completely 95% around Route 66 and 395. Again, that is because of what you do in Tysons.

Posted by: Ok... ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:30AM

You have a PE? All that means is that you have 4 years of engineering experience, or 3 years and a masters. May i ask what field?

Posted by: Look at your own map ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:31AM

You see that little diamond that encompasses the intersection of 7 and 123? yea, thats 95% of tysons right there

Posted by: wait... ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:32AM

LOL and where do u workt at you have this much free time as a PE to post on the interwebz and battle GB?

Posted by: ur map my map ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:36AM

I thikn ur maps give tysons a little too much area. Here, this is the CDP map. Cesus Designated Place, since i have to be extra clear with you
Attachments:
TysonsCornerCDPmap.gif

Posted by: slow joe ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:37AM

well over 20 people posted that the place sucks..Only one so called engineer thinks it's nice. Take a hint.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:39AM

@TE - and the blind man can SEE!! LoL

ok, my bad. I think I get what yr saying now and apologies cause hey, you've got maybe the start of a not bad idea there.

stupid to focus on baseball - drop that shit. Look at what City O Fairfax does at the Van Dyke and think about that as a start. Baseball's good.........but it can be soooo much more I think.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:41AM

ur map my map Wrote:
> I thikn ur maps give tysons a little too much
> area. Here, this is the CDP map. Cesus Designated
> Place, since i have to be extra clear with you

Yea except what you arent showing is the fact that the yellow area shown is the size of downtown DC or midtown Manhattan.

Land size maps of Tysons

Manhattan-Area.jpgChicago-Area.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:42AM by Tysons Engineer.

Posted by: Dir of clinical services ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:42AM

The Lamb Center just called. They want to let Tysons Engineer know that he's welcome back, as long as he stops masturbating in public.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:42AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @TE - and the blind man can SEE!! LoL
>
> ok, my bad. I think I get what yr saying now and
> apologies cause hey, you've got maybe the start of
> a not bad idea there.
>
> stupid to focus on baseball - drop that shit.
> Look at what City O Fairfax does at the Van Dyke
> and think about that as a start. Baseball's
> good.........but it can be soooo much more I
> think.

The property is owned by Lerner, who has done the exact same concept just outside the stadium in DC. Seems logical to recreate and lots of people like baseball

Date: April 04, 2013 11:44AM

Ok... Wrote:
> You have a PE? All that means is that you have 4
> years of engineering experience, or 3 years and a
> masters. May i ask what field?

I have over 15 years of experience in Civil Engineering

As far as the moniker, I am a civil engineer who lives in Tysons. I dont do any of my work in Tysons, which is why I feel free to criticize or applaud varying plans for Tysons because it isnt a conflict of interest. I have no plans of ever returning to domestic land development which I did early on in my career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:46AM by Tysons Engineer.

Posted by: ok well ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:46AM

Ok you are right. It wouldnt create a clusterfuck. It would be so unpopular since NOBODY would go to the nats fairgrounds in TYSONS to watch on a screen when they can do the same at the stadium fairgounds before they go into the stadium to watch the game. Noone is going to want an outdoor Nats bar. Baseball fucking blows anyway

Posted by: ok and? ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:46AM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> Ok... Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You have a PE? All that means is that you have
> 4
> > years of engineering experience, or 3 years and
> a
> > masters. May i ask what field?
>
>
> I have over 15 years of experience in Civil
> Engineering

Ok so u basically didnt take the FE and waited to get it on experience. and you havent answered what field in Civil.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:48AM

ok and? Wrote:
> Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> -----
> > Ok... Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > You have a PE? All that means is that you
> have
> > 4
> > > years of engineering experience, or 3 years
> and
> > a
> > > masters. May i ask what field?
> >
> >
> > I have over 15 years of experience in Civil
> > Engineering
>
> Ok so u basically didnt take the FE and waited to
> get it on experience. and you havent answered what
> field in Civil.

No I did take the FE, then had 4 years of experience, then took the PE. I started in Transportation, then worked in standard land development/water resources, now I work in large scale construction projects overseas which is more of a jack of all trades (everything from wastewater treatment plant design, power plants, to road design and site construction)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:49AM by Tysons Engineer.

Posted by: the questions was ()
Date: April 04, 2013 11:49AM

What oart of Civil is your PE in. It seems you need reading comprehension

Date: April 04, 2013 11:55AM

the questions was Wrote:
> What oart of Civil is your PE in. It seems you
> need reading comprehension

Oh for the test itself? Water resources is the test I took. Considered doing construction or transportation, but hydrology and hydraulics was my strong suit at the time.

Date: April 04, 2013 11:59AM

So we are all in agreement. A lot of people hate Tysons as it is today... don't really understand the rationale to oppose fixing an area because of how crappy it is today... but we are in agreement. This idea is not for you, and you should probably avoid Tysons all together. I suggest doing all your shopping at the Wawa in Gainsville instead.

For people who don't have a visceral hatred for Tysons and perhaps work in Tysons, what would be your thoughts for a place to grab a beer, wait out traffic, watch a 7 oclock game.

As I pointed out, a lot of people who work in Tysons live in Herndon and Ashburn, going to the stadium is not a reality for them. Sadly this is one of the biggest support centers for the Nats in the area (outer suburbs), so the idea is to provide a place where they can get the stadium feel and watch the game.

Tickets would be free, concessions and permitting to vendors is how Lerner would make money. Even if its a small amount, it grows his Nats brand name

PS, just like the fairgrounds at the stadium, it would be more than just watching baseball. If you havent been (I suggest you do) its a lot of the best parts of a tail gate, beer, food, games, people and yes the sporting event atmosphere also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 12:00PM by Tysons Engineer.

Posted by: jettaman ()
Date: April 04, 2013 12:13PM

What are your next steps to bring this idea to fruition?

Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: April 04, 2013 12:14PM

Man, lots of haters, and I guess I understand... Tyson's CAN be a clusterfuck. I live in Burke and always dread driving to Tyson's, but usually it's not as bad as I expect it's going to be. Personally, as a Nats fan, I like the idea. If I spent more time at Tyson's I'm sure I would swing by for happy hour beers and watch games. However, I don't live/work in there, so I wouldn't drive out there just for this.

I know the baseball season is long as hell, but what would happen there during the off season, do the same thing for other hometeams?

Posted by: Zapista! ()
Date: April 04, 2013 12:15PM

The missed opportunity was not locating the ballpark in NoVA. At one point, Arlington was under consideration but instead we got a soccer-plex with a dozen soccer fields that generate zero income for Arlington and of course actually costs money to operate: once again, we're on the wrong side of the math problem.

At another point, Gallows & Lee Highway was on the table, but FFX County didn't support. Instead we got the Mosaic Center that is a wasteland. Instead of a Target (there's already one five minutes away in 7 Corners), a MOMs market (empty of customers), a movie theater (that features movies nobody has ever heard of) and some women's clothing stores (we have more than enuf of them in the world) we could have had a ballpark surrounded by high end apartments and condos.

If a temporary bullpen in Tyson's is the consolation prize, then go for it. Do something to generate income for the county.

Knuckleheads: Please don't reply by saying that the taxpayers shouldn't pay for a ball park, because the taxpayers didn't pay for Nats stadium. The stadium was bond-funded and the bonds are paid off by changing the Nats rent, and by taxing the tickets, beer & food at the stadium. The WaPo reported that the Nats generate excess income for the DC Sports Commission and that the bonds will likely be retired early.

Another blown opportunity for FFX County!

Date: April 04, 2013 12:28PM

matt 703 Wrote:
> Man, lots of haters, and I guess I understand...
> Tyson's CAN be a clusterfuck. I live in Burke and
> always dread driving to Tyson's, but usually it's
> not as bad as I expect it's going to be.
> Personally, as a Nats fan, I like the idea. If I
> spent more time at Tyson's I'm sure I would swing
> by for happy hour beers and watch games. However,
> I don't live/work in there, so I wouldn't drive
> out there just for this.
>
> I know the baseball season is long as hell, but
> what would happen there during the off season, do
> the same thing for other hometeams?

In the off-season in winter outdoor events are less anyways, but I suppose it could become a Caps zone or something. Maybe a few kerosene heaters.

For people along the silver line it could become an alternative from going all the way into the city which a lot of people dread. Since Lerner owns Tysons II, some of that parking (which always abundant) could be provided, though he'd likely want to charge 2-5 bucks. But atleast then on weekend games there'd be an option for out of towners... then again if you are driving from burke, you might as well drive to the stadium.

Its mostly a happy hour concept I think.

As far what is next to bring to fruition. As I have found with some of the ideas I have posted on the website, if enough people start asking for it, stuff starts happening. Air rights are being talked about by some board members, discussion about interim construction like this has become a popular thought (something we brought up on the website about a year ago), night markets, pedestrian improvements. All of those are things that are gaining momentum in giving Tysons a unique identity and not just trying to being Arlington West.

I personally have no power to make it happen, but if enough people like the idea the County would look into talking to Lerner about making it a reality. Especially if everyone is benefited from it.

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: April 04, 2013 02:47PM

I like the idea. I live close to Tysons and would absolutely check that out. I don't think FFU is the best place to get a gauge on this as I think most of the posters here live in Centreville and Chantilly and would rather travel to Manassas for entertainment!

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: April 04, 2013 03:34PM

Maybe for away games. MLB has a lock on "home" events that other leagues envy, and it would take a very large sum of cash to make this happen.
It's Lerner property anyway. Look for another Piercontainersonomawhatever store to arise there.

Date: April 04, 2013 04:21PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> Maybe for away games. MLB has a lock on "home"
> events that other leagues envy, and it would take
> a very large sum of cash to make this happen.
> It's Lerner property anyway. Look for another
> Piercontainersonomawhatever store to arise there.

Hmmm did not consider MLB rules. So wait, how do sports bars get away with it? This is basically a sports bar atmosphere meets carnival, that is loosely affiliated with the Nats, has some nats decoration etc. Hell they can sell Nats memorabilia there cause that goes towards shared revenue I assume anyways?

Also, remember no tickets being sold (so I think no issue with MLB). The beer is sold by independent vendors, and lerner as the land owner would charge permit fees

Posted by: Common Sense ()
Date: April 04, 2013 04:49PM

This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Just end this thread.

Why the hell would the Lerners want to give people an incentive to NOT come to the ball park? It is asinine to think they would.

FWIW, the Lerners own the Fairgrounds and the occupant pays an absorbent amount of rent.

Date: April 04, 2013 04:56PM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> >
> Hmmm did not consider MLB rules. So wait, how do
> sports bars get away with it? This is basically a
> sports bar atmosphere meets carnival, that is
> loosely affiliated with the Nats, has some nats
> decoration etc. Hell they can sell Nats
> memorabilia there cause that goes towards shared
> revenue I assume anyways?
>

There's nothing to consider. The other post by the idiot who shall remained unnamed is screwed up (as usual) in that there's no MLB rule that would prohibit this great idea from coming to fruition. The only problem is the Fox Saturday TV blackout that precludes the broadcast of any game that interferes with Fox' game of the week. It doesn't make any difference if its home or away.

That's why the majority of the Nats Saturday games start at 1:05pm or after 7pm so as to avoid the blackout. If you check the schedule, there's also a number of Nats games that do start in the blackout period, but those should be on Fox' regional coverage, so no issue there.

Date: April 04, 2013 05:09PM

Common Sense Wrote:
> This is the dumbest idea I have ever heard. Just
> end this thread.
>
> Why the hell would the Lerners want to give people
> an incentive to NOT come to the ball park? It is
> asinine to think they would.
>
> FWIW, the Lerners own the Fairgrounds and the
> occupant pays an absorbent amount of rent.

No, it's actually a smart idea. The event would generate more interest in the Nats, not less, and would encourage more people to come to the park, not fewer.

Your logic is the same idiotic thinking that existed in the 1950s and 60s where teams did not televise home games because they thought it would interfere with attendance. They finally realized how wrong they were and began televising all games, home and away.

Result? Attendance exploded from about 20m/year to 75m/year. So much for TV keeping people away from the park.

Posted by: GreatIdeaWhatTookYouSoLong ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:01PM

Nice.

I'm already day dreaming of an outdoor beer tent in July filled with intoxicated 25 year old hotties.

Too bad I'm 58, but I'll enjoy the views between innings.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:02PM

"So wait, how do sports bars get away with it?"
They pay for it.

"There's nothing to consider" Really? Consider this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy

combined with the Angelos/Nationals issue: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/12/mlb-seeks-new-owners-for-nationals-orioles-broadcast-rights-83118.html

FWIW, there's a good bit of detail available on these two pages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcasting_of_sports_events
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_broadcasting_contracts_in_the_United_States

Some details are glossed over, but these Wiki pages are remarkably accurate.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:15PM

The dumbest person on FFXU Wrote:
> "So wait, how do sports bars get away with it?"
> They pay for it.
>
> "There's nothing to consider" Really? Consider
> this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball
> _blackout_policy
>
> blah, blah, blah...

You're such an idiot. Not only are you as dumb as a brick but you like to play the role of somebody who actually has brain which you have proven to be short of, post after post, week after week.

As far as the blackout policy is concerned, it only affects Saturday afternoon games (1:10 PM - 7pm starts) and Sunday night games. I already explained why it's largely irrelevant to TE's proposal.

Also, what sports bars pay and the MLB TV restrictions have nothing to do with each other.

Once again, you've established yourself as the biggest idiot on FFXU.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:21PM

"You're such an idiot. "

Brilliant retort there, zappy. No, really. Shows thoughtfulness, and explains your point with resources and clear documentation.

And people wonder why they can't gather insights on teh interwebz...

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:22PM

I seem to remember there was interest of bringing baseball of some sort to Herndon around Centreville Road and Fox Mill. The residents pitched (!) a shit fit until the idea was shelved.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:25PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> "You're such an idiot. "
>
> Brilliant retort there, zappy. No, really. Shows
> thoughtfulness, and explains your point with
> resources and clear documentation.
>
> And people wonder why they can't gather insights
> on teh interwebz...

Learn how to spell you idiot.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:30PM

Priapus,
Good call. Was it about moving the Minor League team?

Posted by: ex-Lester ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:36PM

Loudoun County's Kincora project is to house a minor league stadium. It's near 28 and 7.

Date: April 04, 2013 06:39PM

I thought that was going to be soccer? If BB, wow!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: April 04, 2013 06:41PM

Jess1 Wrote:
> Priapus,
> Good call. Was it about moving the Minor League
> team?

Could have been. It must have been more than 10 years ago. I was living in Herndon at the time, but I don't remember the details.

Date: April 04, 2013 07:10PM

I have no idea about the black out rules for baseball, so I'm not going to intervene in that discussion because anything I say would be second hand from wikipedia anyways. I wonder what impact the fact this is Lerner's property itself would have on that though. Obviously if a secondary person was doing this, then Lerner would be pissed, but there have been several stories last year about suburban residents finding it too difficult to get to 7pm games... I would think this would be a good way to build brand identity for them, retaining the current fans that like going to the ball park (and can with their schedule or location) and would perhaps bring in back a generation of 20 and 30 somethings that felt ripped off by the steroids era and strike back in the 90s (I know it took me a while to come back to enjoying baseball again).

I dont think its a bad idea to try out, after all its an asphalt lot right now that wont be developed for years, and directly adjacent to several offices and the metro. Even if it had nothing to do with baseball, it'd be a prime spot for something like this, I think the stadium-esc atmosphere would only improve that.

Date: April 04, 2013 07:27PM

yourmom Wrote:
> I like the idea. I live close to Tysons and would
> absolutely check that out. I don't think FFU is
> the best place to get a gauge on this as I think
> most of the posters here live in Centreville and
> Chantilly and would rather travel to Manassas for
> entertainment!

I learned a long time ago that posing ideas to only people who are receptive is just a good way to go down a bad path to a bad idea. Fairfax Underground has a lot of haters, sometimes its good to take the temperature of the overall county hater population. Either way, I love a good argument, and frankly its a good crucible. What I've taken from this thread is; some people still love scapegoating Tysons likely because they are commuters who use 495 or Route 7, some people had genuine rationale as to why the idea has flaws, and others think the idea is solid and would partake.

For a topic on Tysons... thats actually fairly positive.

Posted by: Really? ()
Date: April 04, 2013 07:38PM

I grew up here in Arlington. I live in Fairfax now. I only wish my parents had bought land.

I don't think those living off route seven would want more traffic for a sports complex.

Call me silly but those who live near Nission Pavilion are NOT happy. Now don't blame the poor folks who can only afford PWC. I know some decent hard working adults that like more home and a longer commute.

The Nats in the burbs might be fun but it will be a nightmare for others.

Date: April 04, 2013 08:01PM

Really? Wrote:
> I grew up here in Arlington. I live in Fairfax
> now. I only wish my parents had bought land.
>
> I don't think those living off route seven would
> want more traffic for a sports complex.
>
> Call me silly but those who live near Nission
> Pavilion are NOT happy. Now don't blame the poor
> folks who can only afford PWC. I know some decent
> hard working adults that like more home and a
> longer commute.
>
> The Nats in the burbs might be fun but it will be
> a nightmare for others.

The team itself wont be playing there.

Nats stadium is really nice, why would I propose moving it? Go to nats stadium, then go to the fairgrounds. Then put some of that atmosphere closer to where the fans are in Virginia.

And again, no traffic, because there will be no significant parking provided. This is for commuters/metro riders/residents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 08:01PM by Tysons Engineer.

Date: April 04, 2013 09:00PM

see, TE - I wasnt the only one confused by what you were say LoLz

anywho, I'm curious - do you have an example of where something like this actually exists?

Cause that's what threw me off this morning - I'd never actually heard of something like this existing away from the ballpark. Kinda why the "festival" is going on , y'know?

Dont really think a satellite "festival" would be $ucce$$ful on it's own, is all

Date: April 04, 2013 09:13PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> see, TE - I wasnt the only one confused by what
> you were say LoLz
>
> anywho, I'm curious - do you have an example of
> where something like this actually exists?
>
> Cause that's what threw me off this morning - I'd
> never actually heard of something like this
> existing away from the ballpark. Kinda why the
> "festival" is going on , y'know?
>
> Dont really think a satellite "festival" would be
> $ucce$$ful on it's own, is all

The idea comes from superbowl / championship games like the world series. Hometowns often have a gathering area to cheer for a team, watch it on big screens, and enjoy hanging around with other fans of that team. Sometimes this happens at the stadium, sometimes it doesnt.

For instance, in Boston they have shown the superbowl and red sox world series at Faneuil Hall (probably the most notable case of a remote broadcast).

The reason why people go to a sports bar for big games is because they like hanging out with strangers but sharing a common enjoyment of a team. Add in things to do, a venue for food trucks at night, and it could be a really good atmosphere. The fact is hasn't been done before shouldn't be reason enough for it not to be tried out in my opinion, especially in a region like ours where everything is so spread out and it isn't really realistic for a lot of people to catch an early game.

And yes, actually I see that the title I have provided is quite tricky in the word grouping where the word Fairground is muted by Stadium and Burbs. The shortness of the word Nats also makes reading it awkward. If I had it over again I'd say

Bring the Tailgate to Tysons Leave the Stadium in DC

Regrets, I've had a few...

Date: April 04, 2013 09:19PM

you can edit the subject line, bro - you created it.

Date: April 04, 2013 09:31PM

"The idea comes from superbowl / championship games "
Indeed. That sort of presentation is fairly commonplace nowadays, and is a huge moneymaker for the respective organizations. I'd love to see the Lerners take point on this for the regular season, but I'm guessing they also want to limit Angelos' take...

Posted by: First Blood ()
Date: April 04, 2013 09:35PM

Really? Wrote:
> I grew up here in Arlington. I live in Fairfax
> now. I only wish my parents had bought land.
>
> I don't think those living off route seven would
> want more traffic for a sports complex.
>
> Call me silly but those who live near Nission
> Pavilion are NOT happy. Now don't blame the poor
> folks who can only afford PWC. I know some decent
> hard working adults that like more home and a
> longer commute.
>
> The Nats in the burbs might be fun but it will be
> a nightmare for others.

I can relate. This area is a text book example of poor engineering design. It worked 30 years ago, It's fucked now. Look at the idiots who thought the MARC Center would be a good idea, Same with the HOT lanes on the beltway. Just a total Cluster Fuck. Bullshit Idea on the cost for the upping the tolls on the dulles toll road, the list never ends.

Also, Tyson's Corner is a cluster fuck, Now you have a Nice ugly upper deck metro running on route 7, that Is a Major eye sore.. It's just fucked.

@tyson's engineer. In another state or different time for Tyson's corner, your idea would work. Today it's a lost cause. "It's over, Johnny, It's over."

Posted by: alex2 ()
Date: April 04, 2013 10:02PM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:

> And again, no traffic, because there will be no
> significant parking provided. This is for
> commuters/metro riders/residents.

WRONG. No parking means more traffic from people circling around looking for the limited parking that does exist.

Date: April 04, 2013 10:53PM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> I have no idea about the black out rules for
> baseball, so I'm not going to intervene in that
> discussion ....

Forget the “blackout rules” … it was an ignorant observation offered up by a fucking idiot who doesn’t have a clue what she’s talking about.

Your idea is great but has a long list of challenges / issues associated with, such as financing, management, employment, licenses, construction, traffic flow, liability & insurance, security, parking, water, power, sewage, trash, and God knows what else.

The Saturday “blackout rule” that over a six month season might affect a couple of Nats games scheduled in the 1:10 pm to 7 PM blackout (that are not already part of the Fox TV package) are not on the list of issues that need to be addressed.

Good Lord, what a perfect example of how one fucking moron can let loose a red herring that distracts people from the actual hunt.

Date: April 05, 2013 07:45AM

@Zap - calm down bro
@ alex - but dont you see that ppl who live/work around Tysons NEVER use cars? They'll just WALK there, you see - since it's so close and everything HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

@first blood - Whats hilarious to me about TE is how intimate he seems with the area but has such a disconnect with how we are as ppl. And it blows my mind cause I'm starting to understand now why we have some of the traffic problems we have - cause ppl too busy trying to FORCE us to be one way instead of try and make things easier for the way we actually are. Perfect example is 66. Sitting in traffic when a paved lane right there IS FUCKING INSANE!!!!! But Gordo - it's painted red so you cant drive on it. Much better to spend time, effort and $$$ to figure out how to keep people off that lane INSTEAD of spending time, effort and $$$$ to figure out how to make it a real travel lane, y'know?.................*sigh*

well, anyways, you were dead on right - ppl who live here would just go downtown to see the Nats live instead of stay here to watch it on a big TV next to Tysons Blvd - ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN JUST TAKE THE BRAND NEW SUBWAY TRAIN FROM YR NEIGHBORHOOD DIRECTLY TO THE BALLPARK DUUUURRRRR!!!! That's why I'm trying to show TE to expand the idea if he wants to run with it. If Tysons is gonna be a new community, it's gonna need a new
"community center" (Got Lewinsville? LoLz).

@TE - I still think if you are serious about building community, take yr idea and make it more oriented towards ALL groups, not just baseball - and you may have something.

Posted by: LetsGoNats ()
Date: April 05, 2013 08:19AM

The last thing we need in Tyson's Corner is a dog run featuring little piles of dog crap next to a bunch of swing sets and kiddie slides, none of which are generating cash and/or providing employment for anybody.

Keep it focused on being a money maker and sports & booze can easily make money from an empty lot just like the bull pen has done on half street.

TE: It's a great suggestion but be wary of the good idea fairies who will screw it up in a heartbeat.

cause, y'know..........having a tailgate party at the mall seems really pretty lame LoLz
Date: April 05, 2013 08:41AM

if it's such a good idea, where's an example of this happening AWAY from the stadium?

Posted by: r ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:05AM

fairgrounds at the metro??? why wouldn't you just pay the 3$ and take the metro to the game?

Re: cause, y'know..........having a tailgate party at the mall seems really pretty lame LoLz
Posted by: _Eyedea_ ()
Date: April 05, 2013 09:34AM

1. Bring Pregaming to Tysons
2. Bunch of drunken rowdy baseball fans milling around an already overpolulated area
3. Assorted looting and murders have been brought to Tysons, faster than any silver line could.
4. Hundreds of people catch DUI's trying to get out of Mclean district and get to the Nationals game
5. ???????
6. PROFIT

Date: April 05, 2013 09:36AM

r Wrote:
> fairgrounds at the metro??? why wouldn't you just
> pay the 3$ and take the metro to the game?

As I said, this is really an after work hours issue. Game starts at 7, even if you are working in Tysons and leave at 5, you'd grab the train, transfer, get to the stadium right around 6, leaving no time really to enjoy the fun part of going to Nats stadium. Then afterwards you ahve to deal with an even longer trip to get from the stadium to Herndon or Ashburn.

It isn't an all encompassing concept for the entire population. Its for people who want a place to hang out after work hours, like the Nats, but don't have 6 hours on a work night to divest.

PS the metro would cost about 8 bucks to get to Nats Stadium roundtrip (not that the extra 5 bucks is a deal breaker).

Plenty of people will still go to the stadium, this is for the Wednesday crowd that doesn't wanna sit in traffic at 5 or 6

Date: April 05, 2013 09:49AM

Loosely speaking, there's several dozen of these around FFXC. They're called "sports bars." People go to them to drink and watch games and to hit on each other. You're probably not familiar with any of these activities.

TE is suggesting we do it in a large empty lot in Tyson's Corner, an area heavily populated by people with lots of cash. He thinks that the large empty lot would be able to accommodate parking, bandstands, a beer tent, food vendors, large outdoor video screens showing Nats and other sporting events and that these activities would attract a big crowd of people with cash to spend.

Admittedly, you don't see this particular type of activity much because very rarely do we see empty lots in high dollar, densely populated places like Tyson's.

But TE has seen it and also sees the opportunity. Brilliant, I say.

Cash, jobs, tax revenues. Fantastic.

Beats the hell out a 70 year old libtard standing in the same empty lot reading Fifty Shades of Grey on their Kindle while their Shit Tzu squats and pinches a loaf which I suspect is an activity you would want to see or be an active participant in.

Date: April 05, 2013 10:02AM

LetsGoNats Wrote:
>
> Beats the hell out a 70 year old libtard standing
> in the same empty lot reading Fifty Shades of Grey
> on their Kindle while their Shit Tzu squats and
> pinches a loaf which I suspect is an activity you
> would want to see or be an active participant in.

Lived in Tysons for almost 4 years now, yet to see this occurrence, but I enjoyed the visual

+1

Date: April 05, 2013 10:42AM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> Lived in Tysons for almost 4 years now, yet to see
> this occurrence, but I enjoyed the visual
>
> +1

Of course, I meant that entire post as a response to FFXUs very own and very lame Ms God-awful Boring (GB) herself who I pictured as the libtard with the Kindle and defecating Shit Tzu.

Keep up the good work TE!

sooooooooo +1 sir!
Date: April 05, 2013 11:03AM

_Eyedea_ Wrote:
> 1. Bring Pregaming to Tysons
> 2. Bunch of drunken rowdy baseball fans milling
> around an already overpolulated area
> 3. Assorted looting and murders have been brought
> to Tysons, faster than any silver line could.
> 4. Hundreds of people catch DUI's trying to get
> out of Mclean district and get to the Nationals
> game
> 5. ???????
> 6. PROFIT

makes about as much sense, eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

Re: sooooooooo +1 sir!
Date: April 05, 2013 11:20AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> _Eyedea_ Wrote:
> -----
> > 1. Bring Pregaming to Tysons
> > 2. Bunch of drunken rowdy baseball fans milling
> > around an already overpolulated area
> > 3. Assorted looting and murders have been
> brought
> > to Tysons, faster than any silver line could.
> > 4. Hundreds of people catch DUI's trying to get
> > out of Mclean district and get to the Nationals
> > game
> > 5. ???????
> > 6. PROFIT
>
> makes about as much sense, eh?
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts

That could be said with every bar you temperance NIMBY. I'm sorry but if you are afraid of a few people having fun for once, feel free to stay in a residential zoned area only. There are hundreds of bars in NOVA, people who go to them either know their limit or they dont. Saying no to every bar because of a few bad apples is on par with taking away every gun in america because of a few criminals. Its knee jerk and reactionary.

PS adding a drink atmosphere next to a metro stop with heavy bus service is a lot more sensible and safe than putting a bar in the middle of nowhere miles from peoples homes and transit as is the case in most of NOVA.

How many people drunk drive on their way home from a night at Auld Shabeen or Ned Divines or Jacksons I wonder.

Date: April 05, 2013 11:27AM

LetsGoNats Wrote:
> Loosely speaking, there's several dozen of these
> around FFXC. They're called "sports bars." People
> go to them to drink and watch games and to hit on
> each other. You're probably not familiar with any
> of these activities.

Have you even been to Nats Park, yo? What we are talking about cant be defined as a "sports bar" thats like defining all a shopping center parking lot festival like a pizza stand cause both have pizzapie. FAIL ARGUMENT

> TE is suggesting we do it in a large empty lot in
> Tyson's Corner, an area heavily populated by
> people with lots of cash. He thinks that the large
> empty lot would be able to accommodate parking,
> bandstands, a beer tent, food vendors, large
> outdoor video screens showing Nats and other
> sporting events and that these activities would
> attract a big crowd of people with cash to spend.

TE is suggesting a tailgate party be esatblished in a vacant lot in Tysons Corner, Virgnia............the place located between Vienna and McLean..........HAVE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE EVEN BEEN HERE!?! Ppl around here either have enough $$$$ to go experience the real thing downtown, or are the type of person who dont want that vibe and that's why they are out here and NOT in DC WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!?!?!!?!?

>
> Admittedly, you don't see this particular type of
> activity much because very rarely do we see empty
> lots in high dollar, densely populated places like
> Tyson's.

because it's a) not a money maker and b) densly populated areas usually FROWN on crowds of drunk ppl hanging around vacant lots LoLz

> But TE has seen it and also sees the opportunity.
> Brilliant, I say.
>
> Cash, jobs, tax revenues. Fantastic.
>

You do understand that a tower is going on that lot, right? That it's already owned and plans are in the works, right?

> Beats the hell out a 70 year old libtard standing
> in the same empty lot reading Fifty Shades of Grey
> on their Kindle while their Shit Tzu squats and
> pinches a loaf which I suspect is an activity you
> would want to see or be an active participant in.

I see in that other post you are thinking about me Waaaaaaaaaay too much. I cant imagine why tha...............oh wait a minute! ;)

pic unrelated
Attachments:
543.png

Date: April 05, 2013 11:34AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> LetsGoNats Wrote:
> -----
> > Loosely speaking, there's several dozen of
> these
> > around FFXC. They're called "sports bars."
> People
> > go to them to drink and watch games and to hit
> on
> > each other. You're probably not familiar with
> any
> > of these activities.
>
> Have you even been to Nats Park, yo? What we are
> talking about cant be defined as a "sports bar"
> thats like defining all a shopping center parking
> lot festival like a pizza stand cause both have
> pizzapie. FAIL ARGUMENT
>
> > TE is suggesting we do it in a large empty lot
> in
> > Tyson's Corner, an area heavily populated by
> > people with lots of cash. He thinks that the
> large
> > empty lot would be able to accommodate parking,
> > bandstands, a beer tent, food vendors, large
> > outdoor video screens showing Nats and other
> > sporting events and that these activities would
> > attract a big crowd of people with cash to
> spend.
>
> TE is suggesting a tailgate party be esatblished
> in a vacant lot in Tysons Corner,
> Virgnia............the place located between
> Vienna and McLean..........HAVE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE
> EVEN BEEN HERE!?! Ppl around here either have
> enough $$$$ to go experience the real thing
> downtown, or are the type of person who dont want
> that vibe and that's why they are out here and NOT
> in DC WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT
> UNDERSTAND!?!?!!?!?
>
> >
> > Admittedly, you don't see this particular type
> of
> > activity much because very rarely do we see
> empty
> > lots in high dollar, densely populated places
> like
> > Tyson's.
>
> because it's a) not a money maker and b) densly
> populated areas usually FROWN on crowds of drunk
> ppl hanging around vacant lots LoLz
>
>
> > But TE has seen it and also sees the
> opportunity.
> > Brilliant, I say.
> >
> > Cash, jobs, tax revenues. Fantastic.
> >
>
> You do understand that a tower is going on that
> lot, right? That it's already owned and plans are
> in the works, right?
>
> > Beats the hell out a 70 year old libtard
> standing
> > in the same empty lot reading Fifty Shades of
> Grey
> > on their Kindle while their Shit Tzu squats and
> > pinches a loaf which I suspect is an activity
> you
> > would want to see or be an active participant
> in.
>
> I see in that other post you are thinking about me
> Waaaaaaaaaay too much. I cant imagine why
> tha...............oh wait a minute! ;)
>
>
> pic unrelated

GB - the tower (as noted in the article) is likely a decade out. Lerner has hesitated on 1775, which would come first. That would take 2 years to build out and he isn't likely to build the two concurrently.

Either way, the reason why its possible is the very fact that it is temporary, turning lemons to lemonade. The fairgrounds at Nats Park came around organically in the exact same way. Had a bunch of extra materials, turned it into the current concept. Ultimately that lot will also be developed at Nats Park with mixed use mid rise development.

Again, some people might go to the game once silver line is up. Some people might have plenty of money to do so, but not the 6 hours necessary to make a full night of it on a wednesday. There is such a thing as happy hour, and it is quite popular in Tysons at places like Chef Geoffs etc. This would just be another place, with a different vibe, to do the same thing with the added bonus of attracting a growing niche market of Nats fans as well.

To do this, you are talking about on the order of maybe 1 to 2 million in construction cost, easily recouped by concession sales in a year or two not to mention the vendor fees etc that they could incorporate. I'm not Ted Lerner (add that to the list of people you can cross off on the Who is Tysons Engineer list) so ultimately the business decisions are up to them, but I think financially it could make sense and be fairly low risk. Worst case scenario it works for a little while, gets people more excited about baseball, and gets eaten into a sunk advertisement cost.

Those ticket promos they run on tv have a cost too you know.

Date: April 05, 2013 11:34AM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> -----
> > _Eyedea_ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > 1. Bring Pregaming to Tysons
> > > 2. Bunch of drunken rowdy baseball fans
> milling
> > > around an already overpolulated area
> > > 3. Assorted looting and murders have been
> > brought
> > > to Tysons, faster than any silver line could.
> > > 4. Hundreds of people catch DUI's trying to
> get
> > > out of Mclean district and get to the
> Nationals
> > > game
> > > 5. ???????
> > > 6. PROFIT
> >
> > makes about as much sense, eh?
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts
>
> That could be said with every bar you temperance
> NIMBY. I'm sorry but if you are afraid of a few
> people having fun for once, feel free to stay in a
> residential zoned area only. There are hundreds of
> bars in NOVA, people who go to them either know
> their limit or they dont. Saying no to every bar
> because of a few bad apples is on par with taking
> away every gun in america because of a few
> criminals. Its knee jerk and reactionary.
>
> PS adding a drink atmosphere next to a metro stop
> with heavy bus service is a lot more sensible and
> safe than putting a bar in the middle of nowhere
> miles from peoples homes and transit as is the
> case in most of NOVA.
>
> How many people drunk drive on their way home from
> a night at Auld Shabeen or Ned Divines or Jacksons
> I wonder.

I want you to talk to yr buddies at City Hall in Fairfax today, big guy. Tell them Gordo asked you to find out how they feel about Buffalo Wing University, k? Bus line and everything.................

Anywho, playing this one off as a "bar" is all nice and cute......................but in reality, yr talking an open-air tailgate party in a vacant lot. MUCH DIFFERENT SCENE when there is no solid structure.

At first I thought you were angling this to be a community-type program, something to bring Tysons "together" as a community.................but what you are talking about sure as f**k aint gonna do that LoLz

Posted by: jPX4e ()
Date: April 05, 2013 11:35AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> LetsGoNats Wrote:
> -----
> > Loosely speaking, there's several dozen of
> these
> > around FFXC. They're called "sports bars."
> People
> > go to them to drink and watch games and to hit
> on
> > each other. You're probably not familiar with
> any
> > of these activities.
>
> Have you even been to Nats Park, yo? What we are
> talking about cant be defined as a "sports bar"
> thats like defining all a shopping center parking
> lot festival like a pizza stand cause both have
> pizzapie. FAIL ARGUMENT
>
> > TE is suggesting we do it in a large empty lot
> in
> > Tyson's Corner, an area heavily populated by
> > people with lots of cash. He thinks that the
> large
> > empty lot would be able to accommodate parking,
> > bandstands, a beer tent, food vendors, large
> > outdoor video screens showing Nats and other
> > sporting events and that these activities would
> > attract a big crowd of people with cash to
> spend.
>
> TE is suggesting a tailgate party be esatblished
> in a vacant lot in Tysons Corner,
> Virgnia............the place located between
> Vienna and McLean..........HAVE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE
> EVEN BEEN HERE!?! Ppl around here either have
> enough $$$$ to go experience the real thing
> downtown, or are the type of person who dont want
> that vibe and that's why they are out here and NOT
> in DC WHAT PART OF THIS DO YOU NOT
> UNDERSTAND!?!?!!?!?
>
> >
> > Admittedly, you don't see this particular type
> of
> > activity much because very rarely do we see
> empty
> > lots in high dollar, densely populated places
> like
> > Tyson's.
>
> because it's a) not a money maker and b) densly
> populated areas usually FROWN on crowds of drunk
> ppl hanging around vacant lots LoLz
>
>
> > But TE has seen it and also sees the
> opportunity.
> > Brilliant, I say.
> >
> > Cash, jobs, tax revenues. Fantastic.
> >
>
> You do understand that a tower is going on that
> lot, right? That it's already owned and plans are
> in the works, right?
>
> > Beats the hell out a 70 year old libtard
> standing
> > in the same empty lot reading Fifty Shades of
> Grey
> > on their Kindle while their Shit Tzu squats and
> > pinches a loaf which I suspect is an activity
> you
> > would want to see or be an active participant
> in.
>
> I see in that other post you are thinking about me
> Waaaaaaaaaay too much. I cant imagine why
> tha...............oh wait a minute! ;)
>
>
> pic unrelated

Yawn. Another pussfied butthurt post from the troll Fagdon. I am impressed by one thing Fagdon, your ability to continue to bore us is first rate. Keeping it real. Lolzzzzzz

Attachments:
gordon daughter stfu.jpg

Date: April 05, 2013 11:42AM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> -----
> > Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > _Eyedea_ Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > 1. Bring Pregaming to Tysons
> > > > 2. Bunch of drunken rowdy baseball fans
> > milling
> > > > around an already overpolulated area
> > > > 3. Assorted looting and murders have been
> > > brought
> > > > to Tysons, faster than any silver line
> could.
> > > > 4. Hundreds of people catch DUI's trying to
> > get
> > > > out of Mclean district and get to the
> > Nationals
> > > > game
> > > > 5. ???????
> > > > 6. PROFIT
> > >
> > > makes about as much sense, eh?
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5sxLapAts
> >
> > That could be said with every bar you
> temperance
> > NIMBY. I'm sorry but if you are afraid of a few
> > people having fun for once, feel free to stay in
> a
> > residential zoned area only. There are hundreds
> of
> > bars in NOVA, people who go to them either know
> > their limit or they dont. Saying no to every
> bar
> > because of a few bad apples is on par with
> taking
> > away every gun in america because of a few
> > criminals. Its knee jerk and reactionary.
> >
> > PS adding a drink atmosphere next to a metro
> stop
> > with heavy bus service is a lot more sensible
> and
> > safe than putting a bar in the middle of
> nowhere
> > miles from peoples homes and transit as is the
> > case in most of NOVA.
> >
> > How many people drunk drive on their way home
> from
> > a night at Auld Shabeen or Ned Divines or
> Jacksons
> > I wonder.
>
>
> I want you to talk to yr buddies at City Hall in
> Fairfax today, big guy. Tell them Gordo asked you
> to find out how they feel about Buffalo Wing
> University, k? Bus line and
> everything.................
>
> Anywho, playing this one off as a "bar" is all
> nice and cute......................but in reality,
> yr talking an open-air tailgate party in a vacant
> lot. MUCH DIFFERENT SCENE when there is no solid
> structure.
>
> At first I thought you were angling this to be a
> community-type program, something to bring Tysons
> "together" as a community.................but what
> you are talking about sure as f**k aint gonna do
> that LoLz

No no, open lot? Its pop-up construction with shipping containers, not some RFK style Shamrock Fest thing. Again, you can say people will be drunk throwing up and pissing every with anything that sells alcohol. Lerner isnt Springfield Mall, there will be some overall security in the area. Debating by extreme is a weak form of argument. Thats the kind of pillow as a weapon horse-s politicians use. There is a grey area that doesnt have to turn a simple concept into New Jack city

Date: April 05, 2013 11:59AM

... and the Douche Bag drones on

-> I want you to talk to yr buddies at City Hall in

[and on and on ]

At first I thought you were angling this to be a
> community-type program, something to bring Tysons
> "together" as a community

[and on and on]

**Yawn**

OK, Douchie, time to walk the Shit Tzu

Bye bye

funny how everyone's debating over the usage of a property they dont even own LoLz
Date: April 05, 2013 12:17PM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
>
> No no, open lot? Its pop-up construction with
> shipping containers, not some RFK style Shamrock
> Fest thing. Again, you can say people will be
> drunk throwing up and pissing every with anything
> that sells alcohol. Lerner isnt Springfield Mall,
> there will be some overall security in the area.
> Debating by extreme is a weak form of argument.
> Thats the kind of pillow as a weapon horse-s
> politicians use. There is a grey area that doesnt
> have to turn a simple concept into New Jack city

um, I've not once mentioned anyone throwing up or urinating. All I'm saying is that Tyson's aint the sorta place for something like what you are proposing. Nobody wants a party/festival there that's not family-focused.................and even IF it was family focused it would prolly be a tough sale.

Re: Bring the Tailgate to Tysons Leave the Stadium in DC
Posted by: kam fong ()
Date: April 05, 2013 12:19PM

love to see what your family looks like

someone's thinking WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much about Gordon Blvd
Date: April 05, 2013 12:25PM

kam fong Wrote:
> love to see what your family looks like

why someone would want to know what the family of an interwebz stranger looks like is beyond me.

for example, I could care less who you are, whatcha look like, or why yr mom likes black men the way she does LoLz

pic unrelated
Attachments:
prostitute.jpg

Posted by: 4vcb3 ()
Date: April 05, 2013 01:36PM

kam fong Wrote:
> love to see what your family looks like

Here's a pic of one of Gortard's daughters. LoLzzzzzzz

o_0
Attachments:
gordon daughter retard.jpg

Bring on the Tailgate!!
Date: April 05, 2013 01:42PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
Nobody wants a party/festival there
> that's not family-focused.................and even
> IF it was family focused it would prolly be a
> tough sale.

Speak for yourself. I have no interest whatsoever in a family oriented fun zone in Tyson's Corner.

Bring on the baseball, beer, BBQ, and babes!

Levae the kids at home.

Posted by: Sports Bars ()
Date: April 05, 2013 01:48PM

If I want to "tailgate" for a NATs game in Northern Virginia I just go to a sports bar.

Plenty of good sports bars in NOVA with widescreen projection TV's and dressed up NATs fans.

Re: Bring on the Tailgate!!
Posted by: Beer Me ()
Date: April 05, 2013 01:49PM

LetsGoNats Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> Nobody wants a party/festival there
> > that's not family-focused.................and
> even
> > IF it was family focused it would prolly be a
> > tough sale.
>
>
> Speak for yourself. I have no interest whatsoever
> in a family oriented fun zone in Tyson's Corner.
>
>
> Bring on the baseball, beer, BBQ, and babes!
>
> Levae the kids at home.

Right on man! Not that I hate screaming kids running around, but I'd rather be at sporting events with the guys!

Date: April 05, 2013 01:53PM

@Nats/Beer - I getcha - but I'm betting y'all would have a better time at the Stadium than at the mall when yr tailgating is all

Date: April 05, 2013 02:09PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> @Nats/Beer - I getcha - but I'm betting y'all
> would have a better time at the Stadium than at
> the mall when yr tailgating is all

Beer at the fairgrounds at Nats Stadium is half the price as inside of the stadium. Its expensive and time consuming to actually go to the game. Sometimes thats fun to do, I try to catch plenty of games if the times are right, but itd be nice to be able to get the same vibe as the outside of the stadium part which I always have more fun at, even though you dont see the game live.

Nothing would replace the live sporting event, but that doesnt mean fans have to go to the game to get the same vibe everytime

Posted by: Sakrete ()
Date: April 05, 2013 02:10PM

Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> -----
> > .
>
>
> Ha, any reason you would be against it? Otherwise
> the pit is just an asphalt hole sitting next to a
> prime metro location.

Lets just pave and build over every fucking centimeter of Fairfax County. It's just a historical shithole and concrete cures all. You are wasting time posting when you could be building. Get to work.

Date: April 05, 2013 02:25PM

Sakrete Wrote:
> Tysons Engineer Wrote:
> -----
> > Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > .
> >
> >
> > Ha, any reason you would be against it?
> Otherwise
> > the pit is just an asphalt hole sitting next to
> a
> > prime metro location.
>
> Lets just pave and build over every fucking
> centimeter of Fairfax County. It's just a
> historical shithole and concrete cures all. You
> are wasting time posting when you could be
> building. Get to work.

K. Well I know one thing for sure, this parcel has no historic relevance and if left in the current state will look like a trash dump within the next 5 years. Now go take your meds and relax.

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.