HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax City :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center at Fairfax City Edge (Mixed Use Upgrade ?)
Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: March 09, 2014 12:26PM

Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center (Neighborhood Type at Fairfax City GMU neighborhood)

Anchor Stores are Safetway and ..................

Courthouse Plaza adjancent to the incredible Fairfax County Regional Library Branch (only a McDonald's is a short distance between this neighborhood shopping mall that is now poised for some creative thinking of revitalization)

The owner of these neighborhood shopping center is same as the one at Fairfax Cornder, ie, Combined Propoerties., a company that has had some serious failures in the past, for example, Dart Drug, and Crown Books that once were icons of Fairfax are now gone.

I understand that Combined Properities are now more interested in "mixed use" developments for such neighborhood shopping malls as Couthouse Plaza and Fairfax Corner Shopping Mall they also own.

This mall is so near GMU and could cater beter to GMU community of students, seniors and others by adding more green space adjacent locations and perhaps some living facilities for students and GMU community , while upgrading the quality of shopping mall with innovative new upcoming stores perhaps ?

Any ideas as to what mix-use will add value and quality to this neighborhood shopping mall ?

I love the Tokyon Grill, Safeway is ok, could be a bit more upscale perhaps like their store at Pan Am Shopping Mall.

Buffallo Wing University is a place for students . It's convenient and affordable for students, I think ?

HOw about for Seniors , what else can be added that will benefit Seniors and others in the GMU community who might find attractive in a mixed-use upgrade of this Fairfax City Shopping Mall ?
Attachments:
FAIRFAX CITY Property_210_left.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center at Fairfax City Edge (Mixed Use Upgrade ?)
Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:15PM

There is a old property that has been vacant for more than 2 years located between this shopping mall and the McDonald just before the Fairfax Regional Library building.

It's owned by Combined Properties with a "lease"s sign on it and no takers.

Can this property be made into a aprtment+ mini medical service or diagnostic center perhaps for seniors with a few suitable small retail space perhaps ?

Any creative real estate people who cares and see a way to do something that makes economic sense ?

Cafe Twn
Attachments:
HEALHTY 66865-200x256-Senior_music.jpg

Date: March 26, 2014 09:07AM

Anyone knows this "Mixed Use" Redevelopment Topic near the Fairfax City Regional Library ?

Old Town Fairfax Redevelopment
Old Town Fairfax undergoes a major redevelopment.

In a partnership with a development team composed of Trammell Crow Company, Walnut Street Development, and the J. Donegan Company, the city has redeveloped multiple parcels of land located in downtown Fairfax. This mixed-use project, now owned and operated by Kimco Realty Corporation, is known as Old Town Plaza. The project consists of class A office space, restaurants, retail shops, and a planned residential component.

http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/community-development-planning/major-projects-plans/old-town-fairfax-redevelopment

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: April 02, 2014 05:09PM

Avi, you think anyone here really gives a shit?

Date: April 09, 2014 01:21PM

Café Twin Show & Friends

USA Science and Engineer Festival April 26-27 2014 at the DC Convention Hall coming up sync with the Spring Cherry Blossom !

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Caf%C3%A9-Twin-Show-Friends-5018276?trk=my_groups-b-grp-v

Posted by: SeniorGeezer ()
Date: April 10, 2014 10:28AM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
>
> HOw about for Seniors , what else can be added
> that will benefit Seniors and others in the GMU
> community who might find attractive in a mixed-use
> upgrade of this Fairfax City Shopping Mall ?

How about you let us seniors take care of ourselves and mind your own fucking business? Take your arrogant attitude and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Posted by: SeniorGeezer ()
Date: April 10, 2014 11:26AM

Waldenthreenet, you are posting on virtually all the forums of the
Fairfax underground and you seem to have the perception that you're
some sort of an important person but if you're going to stick your
nose in Loudoun's business I suggest you learn to spell it first.

"What's Special About Louden County__How About The Poor ?"

Date: April 10, 2014 01:40PM

I am interested in community vitality in Northern Virginia with common heritage.

why is spelling important ?

John Steinbeck who won the Nobel Prize never learned to spell as he admitted often himself.

We are a community of ethnics , English is a Germantic language and spelling are often has weirdness of a the Anglo-Saxons whom the Great Emperor Conquorer forced out of their native Germantic land to Britain in the 10th Century as I remember.

So, this is why America speaks "Germantic English" today, thanks to those Anglo Saxons who conquered Britain in the following centuries.

Otherwise we all may be speaking some other language , perhaps the ancient language to Celtics ?

Date: April 13, 2014 10:32AM

Across from the Fairfax City Regional Library is the strip mall called

Main Street Marketplace, Old Town Fairfa

Thre renovatons of this strip mall is looking better and better !

I just went by there last Sunday while waiting for the Library to open at 1:00 PM on Sunday, and took some pictures I like t share.

Now they have a Walgreen & Ace Hardware, and the new food court nearest to the library has a bussling variety of food places including a newly opened Starbuck that looked rather popular place .

I think Fairfax City renovation people, working with the business community doing a fine job on the "renovation" on this strip mall.

What do you guys who live near this neighborhood as I do think ?
Attachments:
DSC01200.JPG

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: April 13, 2014 10:40AM

cafetwinv Wrote:
> Across from the Fairfax City Regional Library is
> the strip mall called
>
> Main Street Marketplace, Old Town Fairfa
>
> Thre renovatons of this strip mall is looking
> better and better !
>
> I just went by there last Sunday while waiting for
> the Library to open at 1:00 PM on Sunday, and took
> some pictures I like t share.
>
> Now they have a Walgreen & Ace Hardware, and the
> new food court nearest to the library has a
> bussling variety of food places including a newly
> opened Starbuck that looked rather popular place .
>
>
> I think Fairfax City renovation people, working
> with the business community doing a fine job on
> the "renovation" on this strip mall.
>
> What do you guys who live near this neighborhood
> as I do think ?

That's stupid.

Date: April 28, 2014 05:25PM

Here is another photo I took at Main Street Marketplace across from the Fairfax City Regional Library on Sunday, when the library opens at 1:00 PM.

What's missing ofcourse is a mini park with some "greenspace" for "elderly friendly" community as Fairfax County is working, with help from the Park Service people and the incredibly impressive Fairfax Park Foundation with incredible ability to raise money to support work of the Park Service with private donations.

What do you guys and ladies think as to how "greenspace" can be added in this neighborhood ?
Attachments:
DSC01203.JPG

Posted by: ldknfksdfjn ()
Date: May 21, 2014 03:18PM

I heard the owners of the buildings weren't so great. Apparently they wouldn't renew Shorty's lease and also I think they've been hold off on leasing the green white and red detached building.

The Safeway hasn't been redone because
1. safeway was recently sold
2. the city is planning to eventually have the area remodeled
but they really are trying to get the place the best they can

Buffalo Wing is a hot spot for the GMU students but the employees there are way cooler....the GMU kids neeeda stay on campus

I really like the employees in the shopping center as a hole and was just thinking the other day how nice some greenery would be. maybe change the McDonnell's parking lot area into some grass...I would say even tear down the McDonnells its ugly, cheap YUCK get rid of it

Date: May 27, 2014 07:50PM

How about something like this between the Library and the 2 across Main Street Shopping Malls ?

This doesn't require too much space but doe require the shopping mall owners to value "green space" as a way to strengthen proprty value and good neighborhood relationships ?
Attachments:
GREEN COMMUNITY URBAN.bmp

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: June 01, 2014 08:07PM

How about something like this between the Library and the 2 across Main Street Shopping Malls ?

This doesn't require too much space but doe require the shopping mall owners to value "green space" as a way to strengthen proprty value and good neighborhood relationships ?
Attachments:
Attachments:
sacred.jpg

Date: June 08, 2014 06:56AM

Re: Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center at Fairfax City Edge (Mixed Use Upgrade ?) Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:15PM

There is a old property that has been vacant for more than 2 years located between this shopping mall and the McDonald just before the Fairfax Regional Library building.

It's owned by Combined Properties with a "lease"s sign on it and no takers.

Can this property be made into a aprtment+ mini medical service or diagnostic center perhaps for seniors with a few suitable small retail space perhaps ?

Answer: Yes, this property is owned by Combined Properties and has been vacant for more than 2 years!

This property can be converted into a "Greenhouse Project", with a few stalls for small biz who can sell "plants, greening things", a "family place" with a mini-theater (May be a planeterim) & may be few more "community oriented activity place for seniors and families.

This type of a project would be a "good fit", Combined Properties would have to turn over the property to a PPP (Private Public Partnership), but they would benefit tremendously by remaining the owner of the adjacent shopping mall where the Safeway is located. They would also get tax benefits for donating this building to the Fairfax City "Greenhouse Project".

Anyone interested in such a community vitality project as this is really nothing new. "Success Models" exists elsewhere in USA . All we need is some motivation and a group of citizens who cares about their own neighborhood.
Attachments:
GREEN ROOF  rooftop-greenhouse-2.jpg

Date: June 08, 2014 10:58AM

cafetwinv Wrote:
> I am interested in community vitality in Northern
> Virginia with common heritage.
>
> why is spelling important ?
>
> John Steinbeck who won the Nobel Prize never
> learned to spell as he admitted often himself.
>
> We are a community of ethnics , English is a
> Germantic language and spelling are often has
> weirdness of a the Anglo-Saxons whom the Great
> Emperor Conquorer forced out of their native
> Germantic land to Britain in the 10th Century as I
> remember.
>
> So, this is why America speaks "Germantic English"
> today, thanks to those Anglo Saxons who conquered
> Britain in the following centuries.
>
> Otherwise we all may be speaking some other
> language , perhaps the ancient language to Celtics
> ?

Bullshit. You ain't no Ernest Hemingway and ya cain't speak English worth a hoot neither. You think yer one'a them Yankee do gooders but yer just a'foolin yerself.

Date: June 09, 2014 08:03AM

Greenhouse Project PPP at Fairfax City With COmmunity Theater

Educaitonal "Twin" Greenhouse Movie Theater does not need to be fancy but simply an extended home theater idea, in fact with 2 large flat screens with an affordable Home Theater would do that are readily available these days, with internet connect capabilities, automated so that movies can run without a lot of need for human intervention as done these days in the Washington DC Smithsonian Museums (Try the terrific theaer at the Native American Museum at the 2nd floor sometimes, good for audience of about 50 persons).

Here are two images of theaers I found on the web just doing a quick search. The seats on these are bit too expensive looking. For us poor folks, just confortable seats for kids & families would do, I think .

Any better ideas ?
Attachments:
ICPInnov-Entrepreneurs  GRules0 0309.jpg
GREENHOUSE PROJECT Homecinema%20star%20ceiling%20p11.jpg
GREENHOUSE PROJECT  6gladiator_home_theater.png

Posted by: CBR ()
Date: June 09, 2014 09:56AM

waldenthreenet Wrote:
> Greenhouse Project PPP at Fairfax City With
> COmmunity Theater
>
>
> Re: Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center at Fairfax
> City Edge (Mixed Use Upgrade ?)
>
> Educaitonal "Twin" Greenhouse Movie Theater does
> not need to be fancy but simply an extended home
> theater idea, in fact with 2 large flat screens
> with an affordable Home Theater would do that are
> readily available these days, with internet
> connect capabilities, automated so that movies can
> run without a lot of need for human intervention
> as done these days in the Washington DC
> Smithsonian Museums (Try the terrific theaer at
> the Native American Museum at the 2nd floor
> sometimes, good for audience of about 50
> persons).
>
>
> Here are two images of theaers I found on the web
> just doing a quick search. The seats on these are
> bit too expensive looking. For us poor folks,
> just confortable seats for kids & families would
> do, I think .
>
>
> Any better ideas ?

Tell somebody who gives a shit.

Date: June 09, 2014 03:27PM

One More Element to the Fairfax City Greenhouse Project PPP POssible:

Affordable Modular Housing For Disabled Vets,qualifying low income Seniors (like me) & Students at GMU/NVCC/Stayer/other nearby could qualify for the 48 Units.

2 rows of 6 unit per row, stacked 4 high (no elevators needed !), may be ok by the codes now in existence in Fairfax County likely.

Affordable Modular Housing for Disabled Vets, Seniors & Students__May Be 6 rows, Stacked Modular Units with 400 Sq Ft, co called "Micro Module" as done in NYC, is possbile . No parking is needed as people who live in these units typically will not own automobiles, as they can use the Shuttle buses for travel need or use the metro from the Shuttle buses that now run every 20 minutes on rush hours.

So in this case, these mini-prefab modules can be staked likely 4 high, 6 to a row, or 24 units on at L or H configuirabtion, to give us the estimated 48 units of these micro modular apartments .

Question: For those neighbors who know this neighborhood and this Greenhouse Project location next to Courthouse Plaza Shopping Mall, what do you think of this possiblity of adding some really urgentlly needed housing for the disabled vets, some poor seniors like me, and for students ?

Here is a picture of NYC using these micro modulars stacked higher than we need to do as NYC space is very much higher premium.
Attachments:
MODULAR MICRO APTS  55 mt-finances-manhattan_s-first-micro-unit-development.jpg

Posted by: Constable ()
Date: June 09, 2014 03:37PM

E-Verify all residents. No foreigners allowed.

Posted by: HNIWG ()
Date: June 09, 2014 04:30PM

Walden, you seem to have a lot of big ideas for Fairfax City even though you don't live here. Are developers paying you to post this trash?

Date: June 09, 2014 08:21PM

I hope this is not trash.

It would be wonderful if a developer can pay to discuss this topic. But I doubt that any developer would engage in commuinty discussion as is this.

I do live near Fairfax City, just at the border.The New Fairax City Regional Library is my "Monestery".

It's ok to be suspicoius of everyone's motives as to why they do what as they do.

This opportunity I perceived as I walk by this property nearly twice each week on my way the Fairfax City Library.

You will also notice, I have a greenhouse project proposal for Annandale earlier that is still in discussion as part of the community vitality in Annandale.

But the opportunity in Annandale is different than this one, and there are at least 4 or 5 possibile locations between that zone where NVCC.EDU Annandale Campus is locate and that strip going up to where the Annandale Public Library Branch is located. That area I became familiar due to an errand I had to do three times a week that lead to me to become familiar while I spent some time at the Annandale Branch of the Fairfax Library.

By the way, that library branch is also one of the top library branches in the Fairfax County Library System.

Here is what we discussed for Annandale before, and still I hope to find a "champion"Organization who think this idea is worth developing for Annandale with comunity suport if possible.

On Utube: Club Twin Web & Rock Public Service Announcment
Community Greenhouse Demo Add-On For Annandale Revitalization

UTUBE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql9mv3baud4
Attachments:
COMMUNITY GREENHOUSE ASEP 0306.jpg

Posted by: Hlot ()
Date: June 10, 2014 09:05AM

Go play on the Beltway Walden. Nobody gives a shit what you think.

Date: June 13, 2014 12:22PM

Yea, there is one type of developer who might find this type of development worthy of consideration, ie, the non-profit developer, such as

Habitat For Humanity Northern Virginia
http://habitatnova.org/

But personally I am not sure how to go about connecting with this organization unless there was some sort of a citizens group who thinks this is worthwhile doing.

Without a "citizens group" this type of a project cannot be done, in my assessment.

Posted by: Downtown ()
Date: June 22, 2014 09:28PM

Keep Safeway where it is. Downtown needs a grocery store. Not everyone likes going to the super center stores.

Too bad about Shorty's, he was a very nice man and his food was good.

Date: June 24, 2014 12:08PM

If we had a "greenhouse project" , the Safeway at Courthouse Plaza Shopping Center can be upgraded to the quality standard set by the Pan Am Shopping Center Safeway , yea !

I live right in between these two Safeway locations. I would choose the Pan Am Shopping Center any day.

That's another reason to get this "Greenhouse Project" going as part of the upgrade that the owner of this Shopping Center , Combined Properties could logically do.

Sure, they want to make more money as a business objective, but quality and value is what they have to offer in this neighborhood !

Posted by: ditg ()
Date: June 29, 2014 04:10PM

More bullshit.

Date: July 04, 2014 09:02AM

Let us make a special effort to stop communicating with each other, so we can have some conversation.

Mark Twain

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: July 04, 2014 10:04AM

cafetwinv Wrote:
> Let us make a special effort to stop communicating
> with each other, so we can have some
> conversation.
>
> Mark Twain

That's stupid.

Date: July 09, 2014 07:52AM

A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet.

Truman Capote
Attachments:
CGP Fairfaxva  01  HEALING GARDENS  PSA 0110.jpg

Date: July 21, 2014 04:23PM

Another Amazing "Green Revitalization" Project from Fairfax City started
construction over the week-end.

Old Town Square Project Fairfax City
(Across from The Fairfax Regional Libary, and across the Courthouse Plaza
Shopping Mall (neighborhood mall) we have been discussing.

http://www.fairfaxva.gov/government/community-development-planning/major-projects-plans/old-town-square

What do you think, people ?

QUESTION: How about a Outdoor Country Music Concert with my favorite local folk singers and yours ? (Would this park project be open for some outdoor music concerts from time to time, or indoor with some tents may be ?
Attachments:
FAIRFAX CITY  TownSquare1.jpg

Date: August 27, 2014 07:31PM

What is community spirit & How can such be strengthened at Fairfax City neighborhood ?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.