HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax City :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours
Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: July 08, 2014 09:59AM

What is Watershed and Why Accontink Creek, a major creek located in Fairfax from Fairfax City/Provident District area and flows to the Richmond Highway Corridor neighborhood of Ft Belvoir and then on to the Potomac River.

Anyone who lives or owns property along the path of the Accontink Creek as I do, ought to become knowledgable and if possible help the Fairfax Creek Restoration Boosters in the Fairfax Watershed restoration plan.

Ok, ok, Accontink is not the only creek in Fairfax.

it's just that it's one of the major creeks among the 30 Creeks that drains into the the Potomac River.

Conservation Currents - NVSWCD Newsletter (From Northern Virginia Soil & Water Conservation District

located at Northern Virginia Soil and Water Conservation District
HERRITY BUILDING - SUITE 905
12055 Government Center Pkwy, Fairfax, VA 22035
Phone: 703-324-1460

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/nvswcd/newsletter.htm
Attachments:
accotinkcreek.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours
Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: July 10, 2014 09:23AM

Crreek Restoration Challange & Conservation of American Civil War Cultural Assets at the Accontink Creek Restoration near Fairfax City/Provident District area where the Creek gets its start and flows to Richmond Hwy Corridor near Ft Belvoir into the Potomac river.

I have looked at the Library of Congress Military Maps for 1862 time frame. The maps indicate the Fairfax Circle Area was under the control of Robert E. Lee's forces in the 1862-1863 time frame.

Now what we have is the neighborhood shopping mall with the Lotti Food Warehouse and the Korean community lead Asian shopping mall on one side of the street, and the Home Depot and the new Office Building on the other side of the street adjance to the Accontink Creek.

On the far side of the street is the fenced Army Navy Golf Course.

Healthy Community Design Follow Up ?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347973508681491818/
Attachments:
DSC01145.JPG
CREEK RESTORATION NEIGHB ACCONTIK 0204.jpg

Re: Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours
Posted by: gia ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:04PM

Nobody gives a shit. You don't live here.

Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: July 10, 2014 05:14PM

Re: Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours Posted by: gia ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:04PM

Nobody gives a shit. You don't live here.

Yea, I do live here, and we need more people to understand the issues of watershed, and the importance of creek restoration.

If you don't care, then the water quality will get worse than better.

Also, sediments and nutrients from storm water drainage, must be controlled better with support from the neighborhood shopping mall property owners, and tenants who are mostly Asians, particularly Koreans, who are very talented people in business and as a community.

If we can get the "Creek Restoration" going, and convert the "unhealthy" to healthy enviornment , for example, with greenspace along the creek, and mini parks, the property will add value, and more people will visit the businesses that are located in this shopping mall, and across the street at the Home Depot.

Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours Posted by: waldenthreenet ()
Date: July 08, 2014 09:59AM

What is Watershed and Why Accontink Creek, a major creek located in Fairfax from Fairfax City/Provident District area and flows to the Richmond Highway Corridor neighborhood of Ft Belvoir and then on to the Potomac River.

Healthy Community Design__CZM Boosters Circle Virginia
Potomac River Restoration Topic for Healthier and Safer Neighborhoods such as the Fairfax Circle Accontink Creek Restoration Initiative :

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347973508681556831/

Posted by: gia ()
Date: July 12, 2014 08:35AM

Nobody gives a shit.

Date: July 14, 2014 08:59PM

Re: Accontink Creek Restoration Boosters_Fairfax Watershed In My Neighborhood & Yours Posted by: gia ()
Date: July 12, 2014 08:35AM

Nobody gives a shit.

Answer: They woud if they were given the educaiton necessary to care about their own neighbhorhood.

(01) Particulary Homeowners Association near the Creek.

Why? Because with a restored creek, their property value would go up.

SO, if one is a property owner, money in their pocket book, makes people alert if not for any other reason !

(02) Neihborhood Shopping Center Owners

Wny, if the Creek flowing by the neighborhood shopping mall is restored with a community park that is enjoyable, more people would visit that shopping mall, and the small businesses in that shopping mall would benefit.

And Wow ! The Property value of the neighborhood shopping mall would also go up !

So, unless the propery owners are irrational, and doesn't care about money in their pockets, with appropriate community outreach, and educaiton, "Creek Restoration" makes a lot of sense, by adding green space on an urban enviornment like we have at Fairfax Cirle, Proviendent District and at Fairfax City.
Attachments:
CGH BIRDS imagesCA9PLDEW.jpg

Date: July 16, 2014 04:13AM

Fairax County Watershed Implementation Plan & ACCONTINK WATERSHED

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/watersheds/publications/br/01_cub_wmp_full_ada.pdf

Follow Up Contacts:
Community Advisory Committee

Technical Advisory Committee

Joe Berg, Project Team Leader
Biohabitats Inc

The plan includes 3 major project types

Nonestructural Actions
Policy Recommendations
Structural Actions
Benefits of Plan Actions Page Executive Summary page ES20-22

Section 7 Project Prioritization & Implementation Plan Page 7-1
A 1-5 Years
B 6-10 Years
C 11-15 Years
D 16-20 Years
E 21-15 Years

Carin Bisland, Associate Director for Partnerships and Accountability, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
bisland.carin@epa.gov
Phone: (410) 267-5732 /

Fairax County Watershed Implementation Plan

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/watersheds/publications/br/01_cub_wmp_full_ada.pdf
Attachments:
accotinkwatershed.gif

Date: July 16, 2014 04:26AM

On July 4, 2014 Evening Fireworks

Home Depot Parking Lot was full with several hundred families with kids of all ages came to watch the fireworks from Fairfax High School nearby location at Fairfax City/Provident District border

How did all these families know about the Fireworks at this Fairfax neighbhorhood location ?

Conversation : By the way, on the Fairfax Circle Accontique Restoration topic, I noticed that on 4th of July, the Fairfax Circle Home Depot and the Neighhood Shopping Mall across the street were both closed off for the Fireworks Show at the Fairfax High School location nearby.

Several hundred families with kids of all ages, had gathered at the Home Depot Parking Lot to what the July 4 Parking Lot, by the time it was getting dark that evening.

Question: How did all these families get come to know about the Fireworks in this neighborhood, and cared about July 4, 2014 ?

Did Fairfax County agencies have something to do with this neighborhood family outreach that is worth noting of an event at this Fairfax Circle neighborhood ?
Attachments:
USA ICON 4th_of_july.gif

Date: July 20, 2014 08:29AM

Key to this topic is the "Fairfax Creek Restoration Plan" that is now in place and is high priority of things that needs done at Fairfax County, in next 1-5 years, 10 years, and 15 years as affordable.

There are 30 creeks in Fairfax County. This creek, Accontink Creek, among the top 3 critical and longest creeks.
Attachments:
Public Good 0210.jpg

Date: August 27, 2014 07:29PM

Urban Farm & Community Garden Project for Fairfax Hub Zone Near Ft Belvoir Newington VA

Pinterest Board
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/347973508681761487/

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.