HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Florida Lt. Gov. Apologizes for Remarks
Posted by: Ito ()
Date: July 27, 2012 01:45AM

Its time to play Germany or Florida again:

Florida Lt. Gov. apologizes for remark that black women who look like her aren’t lesbians
By Associated Press, Published: July 26

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll apologized Thursday for offending lesbians when she said black women who engage in those relationships don’t look like her.

Carroll, who was implying that black lesbians aren’t attractive, made the remarks more than a week ago when she was asked about court documents in which a fired staffer claims that she walked in on Carroll and a female travel aide in a compromising position. Carroll denies that claim.

“It is wrong and inexcusable to make a comment that hurts people, and that was not my intention,” Carroll wrote in a letter to Equality Florida, a group that seeks equal rights for gays and lesbians. “As a Christian, my faith guides me to love and respect all people. The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said.”

More:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/florida-lt-gov-apologizes-for-remark-that-black-women-who-look-like-her-arent-lesbians/2012/07/26/gJQAMHaZCX_story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Florida Lt. Gov. Apologizes for Remarks
Posted by: Close-Reading Reader ()
Date: July 27, 2012 02:30AM

Did anybody else notice that the sentence "The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said.", while grammatically correct, makes absolutely no sense?

It's like she said, "I need to make sure that I use the phrase 'false charges' somewhere in this letter. I'll just drop it in here."

I thought I might be wrong, so I searched for the full text of the letter and found it at http://thetallahasseeo.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/lt-_governor_carroll_apology.pdf

The full text of the sentence is, "The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said that may have been hurtful to members of your organization and to other Floridians," which still makes no damn sense.

I think what she meant to say was something along the lines of "While the charges against me are false, this still does not excuse what I have said that may have been hurtful to members of your organization and to other Floridians."

Any way you slice it, though, the inclusion of her accusation that the charges are false greatly dilutes the sincerity of her apology.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.