HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Cult of Penn State
Date: July 14, 2012 08:12PM

I heard an interesting defense for the NCAA death penalty against Penn State today. A gal called into a sports program and said that the abuse and cover up at Penn State goes beyond the four or five individuals involved. She noted that Penn State has a cult-like culture that will only be put to rest by something on the scale of the death penalty. I never really thought about that, but given how students responded after it became apparent to the rest of the world that Joe Pa was involved, there might be something to this argument...

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/14/12743438-artist-removes-joe-paternos-halo-from-penn-state-mural?lite

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Cult of Penn State
Date: July 14, 2012 08:17PM

Oh, and Phil Knight might be a genius when it comes to marketing sneakers, but between child labor and his ass-like defense of Joe Paterno, his actions on child rights are fucking laughable....

JP_center.jpgnike_child_labor_big.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: July 14, 2012 08:44PM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard an interesting defense for the NCAA death
> penalty against Penn State today. A gal called
> into a sports program and said that the abuse and
> cover up at Penn State goes beyond the four or
> five individuals involved. She noted that Penn
> State has a cult-like culture that will only be
> put to rest by something on the scale of the death
> penalty.

As a PSU alum I kind of agree. Even I stuck up for the guy until it was obvious he was in the wrong.

But there's also an intense hatred for PSU out there that makes alums and students defensive. A lot of people think this is a good chance to punish PSU for being good at football and being popular. This could happen at any big school; institutional ass-covering goes on everywhere. Just thank your stars it hasn't happened at your school. I guarantee lots of administrations are sweating it out right now.

That said, to move ahead on this they need to put the JoePa statues away somewhere for a while; at least move that stuff into a sports museum and leave it at that.

And the football program, if not shut down for a while, needs to be de-emphasized at least. When I went to school there it was always football and JoePa in your face 24/7. Put more of a focus on academics. It'll be tough since football = money, and money is going to get tight when the lawsuits start to roll in.

Posted by: Vince Lombardi-Sandusky ()
Date: July 14, 2012 09:35PM

Winning isn't everything...it's the anal thing.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.