HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Portable GPS system
Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: November 22, 2005 12:46PM

Any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Portable GPS system
Date: November 28, 2005 03:55PM

Thanks for all the valuable advice. I've made my decision.

I can always count on some great insight on this board.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: November 28, 2005 04:27PM

how's this:

Get one that you can shove up your ass, homo.

It seems to be the canned response to anything these days.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: November 28, 2005 07:18PM

This case was the same for me as it was for some guy who posted jerky stuff all day and then wanted help transfering audio tapes to his PC. I could give PP advice on my experience with portable GPS devices, but he frequently posts idiotic things on the board. Not that we all don't from time to time, but he's one to frequently ask a question or post an opinion, not like the serious replies he got that people took time to offer, and reply back with dumb stuff like "I didn't ask that question." Sometimes posters annoy people that could help them down the line. This is one of those times. PP, go ahead and reply back with "fine, I won't help you when you have a product question." No problem... I wouldn't look for item reviews for consumer electronics on this board any more than I would stand up in a bar, ask the people there for advice on which ruggedized notebook computer to get, and make a decision based on the answer.

He didn't even post helpful things like "I need it for hiking" or "I'm thinking about a dash-mount system for the car" or "I need road mapping, not just directional indicators." It's almost as bad as the "my friend got hurt how do I contact him" thread. He might has well have posted "I need a PDA."

And MMJr, you almost got it right... I instructed that guy to shove his casettes into a paper bag and THEN shove it us his ass.

Date: November 28, 2005 07:22PM

And wouldn't a non-portable gps be useless?

Date: November 28, 2005 07:41PM

Fair question, but depends on what you mean by "portable". To me, a handheld unit is portable while one with a semi-permanant fixture in one's car, or perhaps one that will not run off batteries, is not. Now a "non-MOVEable" GPS unit would be useless :)

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 28, 2005 08:09PM

I've actually been thinking about this since he posted the question

I've only ever owned a gps phone and I do not recommend them

My friends have used Garmin (sp?) brand and have either loved them or hated them. It seems Garmin is okay if you have it hooked to a PC or laptop. The ones who had the built-in display kind were dissatisfied unless they got one that was way expensive ($600+)

But with PP's temper, I didn't want to make these suggestions and then have him flame out since I do not personally own one.

Don't worry, PP, I'd still have a beer with you LOL

Date: November 28, 2005 08:45PM

Well my real answer is that it indeed depends on what you need it for. I have a Garmin 12 and it works for me. It's pretty basic in that it doesn't have road maps built in or a color screen but it's fine for hiking, skiing, and boating. It usually acquires within a minute except in Denmark it wouldn't find any satellites for some reason. It is easy to use with one hand, which is convenient when you have to know exactly where you are when you're rubbing one out. It can connect to a PC, but I never needed it for that and never bought the cable.

Posted by: Death is a Tax ()
Date: November 28, 2005 09:11PM

You'd never believe how often I am in bed jerking off, and I wonder, "where the hell am I right now?"

And to think a one-handed GPS was all I needed

Date: November 28, 2005 10:46PM

mad max, JD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well my real answer is that it indeed depends on
> what you need it for. I have a Garmin 12 and it
> works for me. It's pretty basic in that it
> doesn't have road maps built in or a color screen
> but it's fine for hiking, skiing, and boating.

I have this unit as well and echo its reliability. I got a data cable, mostly to backup my waypoints though it has been a couple of years since I did that.

I used this http://www.tapr.org/~kh2z/Waypoint/ with it... it may be wise to download it in case the page disapears as it is a bit old. But it will put up a graphic of saved waypoints... it is fun to see them around the country/world/whatever.

And with a data cable you can update the firmware via files here http://www.garmin.com/products/gps12/download.html.

Date: November 29, 2005 10:42AM

Everyone does a little venting on this board even if it is just to fan the flames of controversy. If my words scare anyone then good for me - I must have quite a literary presence to have that effect.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, I selected Lowrance iWay 350C for a variety of reasons.

Thanks.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 29, 2005 06:55PM

don't flatter yourself

and we weren't

Posted by: gps expert ()
Date: October 09, 2011 05:31AM

PaperPusher Wrote:
> Everyone does a little venting on this board even
> if it is just to fan the flames of controversy.
> If my words scare anyone then good for me - I must
> have quite a literary presence to have that
> effect.
>
> Anyway, if anyone is interested, I selected
> Lowrance iWay 350C for a variety of reasons.
>
> Thanks.

they haven't made the iWay 350C in at least five years

Posted by: postpoppunk ()
Date: October 09, 2011 05:40AM

gps expert Wrote:

> they haven't made the iWay 350C in at least five years

That thread was posted / relevant in 2005...

2011 - 2005 = 6

But I do admire your lifelong passion for everything GPS, it is an honorable title fitting one of wisdom and available via emails from your favorite GPS site.

A Minor Threat

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.