HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Understanding the Retail Marketplace
Posted by: Johnny Consumer ()
Date: June 22, 2012 09:51AM

I play golf and I'm a gear whore. But, I also enjoy finding a good bargain, too. I've noticed that anytime my favorite golf stores run store-wide sales there's always the same 4 equipment manufacturers who are excluded from the sales.

If you work for a golf equipment manufacturer and in charge of such decisions what is your thought process or what does the flowchart look like for deciding whether as a brand you're going to wholesale exclude your gear from any storewide sales?

How does it hurt or help a brand to exclude or participate in such sales? I guess I just don't understand why if your Titleist, for example, you would exclude yourself...

And in a related question, how come there are brands who no matter where I purchase from it's ALWAYS the same price? Why is that the same Titleist driver at Joe's Golf Shop in Oregon is the same price as Golfsmith in Fairfax, VA and the same price at the Augusta National Pro Shop in Georgia? I'm sure contractually, if you agree to sell their goods, you must sell at agreed upon prices but, isn't this price fixing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Understanding the Retail Marketplace
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: June 22, 2012 09:59AM

Some manufacturers control pricing and don't allow sales unless you've had the product in stock for a certain length of time. I used to work in a bike shop a long time ago, and companies like Bianchi and Trek would do this. We had to have a particular product in stock for a year, or until an updated model was released to lower the prices.

Re: Understanding the Retail Marketplace
Posted by: Johnny Consumer ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:48PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some manufacturers control pricing and don't allow
> sales unless you've had the product in stock for a
> certain length of time. I used to work in a bike
> shop a long time ago, and companies like Bianchi
> and Trek would do this. We had to have a
> particular product in stock for a year, or until
> an updated model was released to lower the prices.

Well, it's good to know that price-fixing is not limited to golf equipment...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.