HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best CCW 9mm: Ruger, Walther, Glock?
Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 05:08PM

Three semiautomatic handguns impress me and I wonder which is best for a concealed carry weapon:

Ruger SR9

Walther PPS

or the

Glock 26

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best CCW 9mm: Ruger, Walther, Glock?
Posted by: HavetheI ()
Date: April 24, 2008 06:19PM

Maybe the linked site below can be helpful. Especially if your ready to buy.

Apparently, the Internet seller of a gun used by Cho, in the Virginia Tech (VT) killings is speaking at VT tonight. He says guns are will be sold “at cost”.

“Owner of Web-based Firearms Company that Sold to Virginia Tech and NIU Shooters to Forgo Profits to Help Prevent Future Loss of Life
TGSCOM will sell guns at cost for next two weeks to help give law-abiding citizens the “tools to prevent tragedy.” Read More...

http://www.thegunsource.com/store/

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: April 24, 2008 06:26PM

I'm sure Gravis has some answers for you. Better keep his response to send to the media when "it" goes down.

Posted by: HavetheI ()
Date: April 24, 2008 09:18PM

Gravis' gunz.....
Attachments:
chek-out-mah-guns-pyow-pyow.jpg

Posted by: The Congressman ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:32PM

Look at the Springfield XD or the Sig P239 as well.

Posted by: ccw guy ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:41PM

Also look at CZ products. I would avoid Taurus... the double-action only subcompacts have a tough trigger pull and I have experienced frequent stovepiping with them.

I would seriously consider a ruger 38 special. Revolvers aren't as "sexy" as semi's for carrying newbees but they can be small (i.e. more convenient for concelaed carry) and very reliable for self defense.

Posted by: VCDL Gun Nut ()
Date: April 24, 2008 10:54PM

Try a .44 Magnum. It'll blow people's heads CLEEEEAN off. Since I'm a sissy, I use it for "protection" whenever I need to shoot someone. Other times I just "open carry" it just like in the Old West. It makes me feel like a really big man when I "open carry" my rod at the local restaurant, park or 7 Eleven store and the looks I get are priceless!

Posted by: Havethei ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:36PM

VCDL Gun Nut wrote:

Try a .44 Magnum. It'll blow people's heads CLEEEEAN off. Since I'm a sissy, I use it for "protection" whenever I need to shoot someone. Other times I just "open carry" it just like in the Old West. It makes me feel like a really big man when I "open carry" my rod at the local restaurant, park or 7 Eleven store and the looks I get are priceless!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That’s really funny.

I, (and this is just a personal preference) don’t really want the mess that a .44 would create. I mean, blood splatter all over everyone within 10 feet or so. And the round would possibly go straight through the head and hit a few more possibly innocent bystanders who had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Unless, it was maybe a MS-13 gang attacking you and then….well…it might all work out just fine. You’d really get a lot of bang for your dollar!

And, besides, again, this is just me, but, I don’t want someone’s head falling off! That’s really over the top!

Plus, I’m not much on the open carry….prefer discretion, so that’s where the CCP comes in handy.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: April 27, 2008 12:11PM

I would go with the Glock, and because this seems like your first gun I would go with the Glock 19. The Glock 26 is a sub-compact pistol as opposed to the 19 which is a compact version of the Glock 17. The 26 is a little harder to handle for the beginner, especially since the theory of true .308 sub-compact pistols is a one-handed shot. The 19 is bigger, but it is not noticeable with a good CC inner-pant holster. Springfield and Taurus guns are garbage. I can't really say anything good about Springfield, the components of the gun are not engineered well and cheaply made. Aside from reading a variety of poor reviews on the XD I handled and shot a few hundred rounds through one when I was looking for another 9mm and was not pleased: the gun just feels cheap and the safety assembly is flimsy. Too many brands are trying to incorporate a composite lower on guns and have not perfected adding solid trigger, hammer and safety assemblies yet. This is why I would go with a Glock: while the gun may be plain looking, there is nothing more durable and reliable. I would not trust anything else in a fight, and I would also suggest you go with a .40. If that seems of interest to you go with the Glock 23, otherwise as mentioned the Glock 19 is nice. Sigs has a different type of trigger pull that are not intended for beginners, and I seem to think H&K does as well (I have 2). And Rugers... we'll they are cheap like Taurus... I have never had a desire to own a Ruger since I have never been impressed shooting them (they are also always being recalled). Go with a Glock for your CC.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: April 27, 2008 01:07PM

Rock the Glock!!!! Taurus sucks, BTW! Also, check out some of the Israeli shit!!!

Posted by: mike ()
Date: April 28, 2008 04:00PM

the hell with Springfields, Glocks and Sigs; get yourself a HK 45 or a HK P30.

Posted by: Bubba ()
Date: April 28, 2008 09:01PM

Go with one of the Glocks, but get it in a more powerful caliber than 9mm. Perhaps .40 caliber would be best. Also, I would agree with purchasing a mid-size model, as opposed to the subcompact -- the really small guns are more difficult to shoot accurately. Also, I know a lot of guys who own subcompacts, and most of them use the extended magazine, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a subcompact, in my opinion.

I recommend the Glock because it only has one trigger-pull to learn, and it's a high-quality gun for the price. You can spend a little more money to get a Sig or H&K, but they'll have a lot of resistance on the first trigger-pull. This causes a lot of people, especially beginners, to throw their first round off the target. Another good thing about the Glocks is that their popularity with law enforcement officers means that there is a good variety of holsters and accessories that are compatible with them.

The comment about VCDL and open carry nutjobs is hilarious. I really like guns, but groups like VCDL give gun owners a bad name. It's really embarrassing to read their discussions on message boards like "OpenCarry" because they do seem to "get off" on attracting attention with their guns.

Posted by: 12C4C1 ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:12PM

I wish to thank the professionals that provided some very good information. I will likely go with the Glock 19C (the model with the compensator), with 10 rd. magazine, in either 9mm of .40 caliber.

I wonder if the "best" price is online or if at the gun show you would find good prices? The online sale [www.thegunsource.com] sounds good; however, only a few more days and I feel uneasy about the owner's rationale for the sale (Virginia Tech). In my comparisons to other online vendors, I think the Gunsource difference is not that much.

I was very surprised to find that the 9mm and .40 cal. ammo runs about $1 a round! Where does one find the best cost? What brands are recommended?

The .40 cal. rd. sounds like one that received some thought in its design and acceptance. Is there a difference between the recoil and sound of the .40 cal. to the 9mm?

And one final question: does the compensator make a significant difference in the recoil or noise?

Your opinions and experience with the Glock are much appreciated.

Posted by: mike ()
Date: May 01, 2008 05:10PM

12C4C1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I will likely go with
> the Glock 19C (the model with the compensator),
> with 10 rd. magazine, in either 9mm of .40
> caliber.

the Glock 19 is a 9mm - no choice there. the .40 are the G22 and G23. Also, if you buy the weapon in VA you will get full capacity magazines, not 10 rounders. your comment about a compensator is confusing to me; i dont know what you are talking about.

> I wonder if the "best" price is online or if at
> the gun show you would find good prices? The
> online sale sounds good; however, only a few more
> days and I feel uneasy about the owner's rationale
> for the sale (Virginia Tech). In my comparisons
> to other online vendors, I think the Gunsource
> difference is not that much.

There isnt a huge difference in the 'dealer's cost' sale that is being advertised. Go to VA Arms in Manassas and have Bernie and his crew help you out. they are by far the best shop in NoVa.

> I was very surprised to find that the 9mm and .40
> cal. ammo runs about $1 a round! Where does one
> find the best cost? What brands are recommended?

Buy ammo at Wal*Mart, you will find that there are no cheaper places to buy. Winchester makes a good target load and it comes in bulk 100 round packs.

> The .40 cal. rd. sounds like one that received
> some thought in its design and acceptance. Is
> there a difference between the recoil and sound of
> the .40 cal. to the 9mm?
Yes to both recoil and sound. The recoil of a .40 is MUCH snappier than that of a 9mm. if you are unsure if you want to go doqn the .40 road, go to Blue Ridge Arsenal and rent both a Glock 19 and a Glock 23 to see which you want. One thing to mention is that the .40 Glocks do not have fully supported chambers.

> And one final question: does the compensator make
> a significant difference in the recoil or noise?
Again, I have no clue what you are talking about when you reference a 'compensator', but i can assure you that it will hav no, XERO impact upon the sound siganture of the weapon. if you wnat a suppressor or silensorr you ahve to go through the proper paperwork and channels.

>
> Your opinions and experience with the Glock are
> much appreciated.

Date: May 02, 2008 02:04AM

As you can see in the pictures the compensated models have slits cut at the front of the slide on the pistol. This design allows pressure to be relieved laterally as the bullet exits and reduce recoil. Compensated models sound different, their shot is muffled but not reduced. You will notice hearing the sonic crack using a compensated hand-gun more often. It's a gamble - shooting a C at night is a poor idea because flashback is extremely high. I would get a regular 19 or 23.

Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:11PM

Thanks Mike and Bob for the technical information and suggestions. The real value of the FU is in this type of exchange.

When is the next gun show?

Posted by: Jimmy Joe Meeker ()
Date: May 05, 2008 04:24PM

Just go with the granddaddy of 'em all, the Desert Eagle .50 cal!

Date: May 05, 2008 11:46PM

http://www.gunshows-usa.com/virginia.htm

The gun shows in Chantilly are great, have not been to the one Dale City although I may make a trip down there in June.

where to buy bullets... springfield, va
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: May 07, 2011 12:01PM

Where can I but good quality bullets at a good price?? I live in Springfield, va and I went to a few places but they would be our or not have the rounds needed...

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: May 07, 2011 12:29PM

> ...hey'll have a lot of resistance on the first trigger-pull. This causes a lot
> of people, especially beginners, to throw their first round off the target...

I'm not a gun guy but, seriously, for the USE of a concealed carry weapon how far away is the "target" such that one has to worry about being "thrown off target"?

That's a serious question - I always envisioned the use of a concealed carry weapon to almost be at arm's length away from the target (in fact, I can't imagine going to a range and practice shooting a pistol at anything further away than, say, 10 feet if the object of the practice is to hit a badguy rather than a bullseye). As such, how much does trigger pull force come into the equation?

Re: where to buy bullets... springfield, va
Posted by: 6X ()
Date: May 07, 2011 01:18PM

kurt Wrote:
> Where can I but good quality bullets at a good
> price?? I live in Springfield, va and I went to a
> few places but they would be our or not have the
> rounds needed...

Gilberts off Backlick Rd. in Newington

Re: where to buy bullets... springfield, va
Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: May 07, 2011 01:36PM

6X Wrote:
> kurt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where can I but good quality bullets at a good
> > price?? I live in Springfield, va and I went to
> a
> > few places but they would be our or not have
> the
> > rounds needed...
>
>
> Gilberts off Backlick Rd. in Newington

Not called Gilberts anymore; sold out to new owners like 2 years ago. Still there, though.

Posted by: Tigerstyle ()
Date: May 07, 2011 06:52PM

Olde Farte Wrote:
> As such, how
> much does trigger pull force come into the
> equation?

You would be surprised. A beginner can EASILY completely wiff a shot even at the 10 feet you describe. Most of their problem comes with anticipating recoil, and a lot of that has to do with trigger pull...

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 07, 2011 07:57PM

Olde Farte Wrote:
> I'm not a gun guy but, seriously, for the USE of a
> concealed carry weapon how far away is the
> "target" such that one has to worry about being
> "thrown off target"?
>
> That's a serious question - I always envisioned
> the use of a concealed carry weapon to almost be
> at arm's length away from the target (in fact, I
> can't imagine going to a range and practice
> shooting a pistol at anything further away than,
> say, 10 feet if the object of the practice is to
> hit a badguy rather than a bullseye). As such, how
> much does trigger pull force come into the
> equation?

Your question is very relevant. Trigger pull and flinching in anticipation of a boom are serious concerns, which is why one should practice AT LEAST quarterly (should be at least monthly) at a range with whatever gun they have chosen to carry. That way trigger pull issues and the sound of a bang will not be as surprising when one is already in a hugely stressful situation.

In an area like ours where it is possible something within the range of your handgun is behind a target, it is pretty important to practice so issues like the length or effort required for trigger pull are well-known and practiced.

Guns are tools. No one would dispute knowing the capabilities of a car in hazardous weather conditions, for example.

As for "how far away will the target be" usually they will be close otherwise your justification for using a firearm vs retreating may be in question. But one should practice at 25 feet or less for handgun. That said it isn't hard at all to miss someone at ten feet if you flinch or pull hard on a trigger that had a longer pull than you expected because you never fired the gun before. That can drag the barrel over several inches, making your shot miss be several feet.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: May 07, 2011 08:20PM

W.r.t. knowing one's weapon if one is going to concealed carry, I can't imagine not knowing it intimately inside and out WELL before actually carrying it around.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: May 08, 2011 09:20AM

You need to dress for the season.

I carry the Colt 1911/45 cal (defender/new agent) for the winter because folks wear heavy clothing, carry the XDM compact 3.8 40 cal for spring and fall because folks wear medium to heavy clothing, carry Ruger SR9C and ruger LCP 380 for the summer because folks wear thin clothes. Looking to get the Ruger SR40C Compact when available for fall and winter carry alternative to the Colts. They are all lasered up with Viridian and crimson trace. All I care about is handling safety, knock down, and penetration.

No glocks for me. My gun dealer returns a lot of glocks for feed failures and slide malfunctions, especially the 27s. Lack of real good safeties concern me about them and don't like getting near folks handling them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: May 08, 2011 10:17AM

dika-dika Wrote:
> No glocks for me. My gun dealer returns a lot of
> glocks for feed failures and slide malfunctions,
> especially the 27s. Lack of real good safeties
> concern me about them and don't like getting near
> folks handling them.

+1. There are a lot of Glock owners out there who take it personally if you disparage their pistols, but I've never liked them or felt comfortable with them. And they have their own special malfunction nickname, the "Glock Kaboom".

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.