HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Gutter helmet system - good or bad
Posted by: Gutterman ()
Date: January 23, 2012 02:36PM

Anyone in Fairfax have the Gutter Helmet system? Do you like it? House is the service? Thinking of buying.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gutter helmet system - good or bad
Posted by: Chris Core ()
Date: January 23, 2012 03:30PM

Do you hate cleaning your gutters?

Hi its Chris Core and I used to dread dealing with my gutters until I got Gutter Helmet(TM) over ten years ago, and since then, I haven't even had to think about my gutters. Gutter Helmet guarantees in writing that you will never have to clean your gutters again EVER!

Look, if your gutters are overflowing, or you have a wet basement, you need to call Triple 8 5 HELMET right now! It's very affordable, and if you tell them I sent you, they'll take 20% off!

Triple 8 5 HELMET for Gutter Helmet

Posted by: got rid of it ()
Date: January 23, 2012 04:14PM

Ours iced up and made a mess. Birds and squirrels used them as a covered porch--even though they were "guaranteed" to keep squirrels out.. Much better since we got rid of them.

Posted by: VAgardener ()
Date: January 23, 2012 04:23PM

We have had Gutter Helmet on our home for 5+ years, love it, and will vouch for it. I did have an issue with an overflow on the rear of my home last year but a svc tech came out and identified it was a dented panel, we replaced it and everything has been good since.

Posted by: Haters Suck ()
Date: January 23, 2012 06:27PM

Seems today is Chris Core hater day on Fairfax Underground. Did something happen?

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: January 23, 2012 06:31PM

Fucking LOL at the Chris Core post.

Date: January 23, 2012 07:20PM

Thanks, Warhawk!

As always, I do commercials only for companies I use myself or have carefully vetted. If you EVER have an issue with any sponsor of mine, let me know and I will call the owner personally on your behalf. I take my endorsements seriously... keeping in mind it's your money. My sponsors pass the "Core Values" test.

And hey, be sure to mention this ad and they'll give you a $55 instant rebate - and that's in addition to the 20% off. And all you have to is mention this ad.

What are you waiting for? Call 888-5-HELMET now! That's 888-5-HELMET. Call now!

Posted by: rickafterburner ()
Date: January 23, 2012 09:31PM

I haven't used them personally, but I've heard that water shoots over them in heavy rain.

When I replaced my gutters, I went with the larger size gutters and downspouts. When I need to clean them, I use a Gutter Sense and a 23' extension pole from Home Depot. It probably takes me 15 minutes to do all three gutters.

Different people report different results with the various gutter covers. Just figuring out an easy way to clean them seems to work 100% of the time (whether it's a gadget, a leaf blower and a willingness to walk on your roof, or hiring someone for $50-70).

I think my Gutter Sense was $20, but I'd buy it from Amazon for $25 in case you don't like it and want to return it. Also, they have a couple of reviews. Yes, it isn't zero work, but I can be done fast enough that I don't care.

http://www.amazon.com/Gutter-Sense-Cleaning-tool/dp/B005IY6IE0

Posted by: Joe B. ()
Date: January 23, 2012 09:56PM

I was intrigued with these things and regret not buying them when they had them in the store. Looked like durable material -- came in 8 ft sections.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11642197&search=gutter&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gutter&Ntt=gutter&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Posted by: Fred ()
Date: January 24, 2012 12:21AM

Excellent article with videos and a recommendation on gutter guards:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/Gutter_Guard_Test_Results.shtml

Posted by: Gutter Helmet Systems ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:18AM

VA Consumers & Customers,

I would be very careful about what you read on this page since this thread has been picked up by Google Alerts and the forum doesn't require a lot of information to post.

In addition, the poster posing as Chris Core is 100% inaccurate in saying ' $55 instant rebate - and that's in addition to the 20% off". We have never run a discount campaign like this before in the 25+ years our dealership has been in business.

Our standard discount is 15% Off and can be printed on our website at www.harryhelmet.com.

Date: January 24, 2012 08:33AM

Did he just say Hairy Helmet?

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Date: January 24, 2012 08:47AM

>> In addition, the poster posing as Chris Core is 100% inaccurate in saying ' $55 instant rebate - and that's in addition to the 20% off". We have never run a discount campaign like this before in the 25+ years our dealership has been in business.

I beg to differ my good sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOtLAgd73XA

I may just have to rethink my personal endorsement.

Because honesty is a Core Value.

Posted by: No helmet for me ()
Date: January 24, 2012 08:57AM

Gutter Helmet Systems Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VA Consumers & Customers,
>
> I would be very careful about what you read on
> this page since this thread has been picked up by
> Google Alerts and the forum doesn't require a lot
> of information to post.
>
> In addition, the poster posing as Chris Core is
> 100% inaccurate in saying ' $55 instant rebate -
> and that's in addition to the 20% off". We have
> never run a discount campaign like this before in
> the 25+ years our dealership has been in business.
>
>
> Our standard discount is 15% Off and can be
> printed on our website at www.harryhelmet.com.

You don't know your own marketing promotions????

What a tool. Was it really that hard to verify before you made a fool of yourself? very impressive.

Posted by: nada ()
Date: January 24, 2012 10:14AM

Gutter Helmet Systems Wrote:
> VA Consumers & Customers,
>
> I would be very careful about what you read on
> this page since this thread has been picked up by
> Google Alerts and the forum doesn't require a lot
> of information to post.

Yeah.....I suppose "nothing" WOULD fit the definition of "doesn't require a lot of information to post"

Posted by: Gutterman ()
Date: January 24, 2012 03:37PM

I had a gutter sense and a telescopic pole, but the plastic tongs broke. I also have a 3 story townhouse, so it was tough to use. Ended up hanging out the third floor windows and trying to use the thing blind! No recommended!

Thanks for the good advice everyone

Posted by: rickafterburner ()
Date: January 24, 2012 07:32PM

Joe B. Wrote:
> I was intrigued with these things and regret not
> buying them when they had them in the store.
> Looked like durable material -- came in 8 ft
> sections.
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=1
> 1642197&search=gutter&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_N
> av-_-Top_search〈=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=
> S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Te
> xt_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=gutter&
> Ntt=gutter&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&top
> nav=&s=1

A neighbor gave me some Rain Filters a couple of years ago. He had just over a 1/2 box left from putting them in his house. I put them in the upstream 1/2 of one of my gutters. They might have worked better if I only had large leaves, but I have a number of the helicopter type seeds and over time, they built a layer over the filter; I finally threw them away after just over a year. Maybe they also would have worked better if I had smaller gutters so there was less of a lip keeping the leaves from blowing away.

Anyone have better experiences with them? The neighbor swore by them, but he also only owned the house for a year after installing them before he sold, so I don't know if they are clogging (haven't talked to the new neighbor about them).

I've also seen some gutter guards that look like a really long round brush, but I think part of the plan is to remove and shake them out every year. Not sure that's better than just having a gutter and cleaning it on its own.

Posted by: missy ()
Date: March 13, 2013 11:07PM

We got Gutter glove (from Maryland dealer), after trying 3 other types of gutter covers, and love it. DUe to odd trees with various leaves, seeds, flowers, and pollen things that look like hops, we couldn't find anything to keep our gutters clear until we got covers - see www.gutterglove of maryland.com for details.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.