HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: John Q Marine ()
Date: February 08, 2008 02:39PM

I barely hear ANYTHING about the War in IRaq. Its like the US media has stopped talking about it entirely. I think maybe the Military is using some kind of tactic here.....force the US media to stop talking about IRAQ...then terrorists cant use it against us or learn new stuff....any ideas?

I just wondered because there is a war going on....and back in the summer you would hear damn day about new soldiers being killed and how bad it was....then one day bam....less and less stories...I suppose that is a good thing and means we are winning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:00PM

FYI there are several articles in the Washington Post every day about the war.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Seargent Hulka ()
Date: February 08, 2008 06:17PM

What war?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 09, 2008 11:05AM

It's because covering the war in Iraq was hurting the profit margins of the cable news outlets. It's much cheaper to do stories on Britney being nuts or on Natalie Halloway than it is to have bureaus in Iraq. Ironically 2007 was the worst year for U.S. casualties in the war, but you sure the hell wouldn't know that from listening to CNN or MSNBC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: February 09, 2008 03:41PM

Because the war has been going much better in recent months in terms of US and Iraqi causalities and it's election season...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: February 09, 2008 09:27PM

Because we are getting ready to bomb the shit out of Iran....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 11, 2008 08:54AM

Because if it isnt your child or spouse getting killed or wounded and the numbers arent too big as to make you uncomfortable...then the price of victory is not too large a price to pay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 11, 2008 01:15PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because if it isnt your child or spouse getting
> killed or wounded and the numbers arent too big as
> to make you uncomfortable...then the price of
> victory is not too large a price to pay.



only $250K per soldier. now that's a bargin!


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 11, 2008 10:44PM

Gravis..in case my sarcasm didn't come through clear enough...let me state my opinion clearly. I was uneasy about our invasion of Iraq since day one. My unease moved to objection shortly thereafter. I consider the Republican Party's support of the war and President Bush and Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld near treasoness. In 2004 Republican political leaders had a choice to be either loyal Americans or loyal Republicans...thet chose to be loyal Republicans. In the remaining years of my life...I will never vote Republican again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 12, 2008 03:20AM

i do find it funny that democrats blame the republicans for invading iraq when two thirds of the democrats voted to do the exact same thing.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:18AM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i do find it funny that democrats blame the
> republicans for invading iraq when two thirds of
> the democrats voted to do the exact same thing.


yes they did...and a number of them should be sent packing home also. Buttt...democrats were not the party that controlled both houses of congress...they were certainly not shy to criticise the president and secretary of defense when it bacame obvious things were headed wrong. Neither were the democrats behind the massive march to war...remember it was democratic CIA and State Department officials that were saying the WMD was bogus and were subsequently silenced. Republicans can not hide from their failures on 9/11 or since. Look at all the tell tail books that have been published since 2004 by Republicans...saying I knew Bush was an idiot...but they said nothing when it counted...again they put being good Republicans ahead of being good Americans. They are lucky there is no hell or they would be rotting there when they die.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:56AM

"Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?"

Actually Robert Gates just said a day or two ago that the draw down of the surge has been postponed indefinitely because of the recent spike in violence. The fact is McCain will continue this nonsense, which is bankrupting our country and destroying our military, while Barack Obama will end it.

At this point, I don't give a rat's ass if the Sunnis and Shi'ites kill each other in the streets of their own God forsaken shithole of a country. Get our people out of there and stop mortgaging my grandchildrens' future to China to finance this pointless war.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:43PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yes they did...and a number of them should be sent
> packing home also. Buttt...


but nothing! they would have done the same fucking thing if they were the party that controlled both houses of congress.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: lexicon ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:57PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > yes they did...and a number of them should be
> sent
> > packing home also. Buttt...
>
> but nothing! they would have done the same
> fucking thing if they were the party that
> controlled both houses of congress.


Not to mention, what have they done since? Stop the surge, no. Stop funding, no. If they can't stand up to the President, how can they stand up to Al Qeda? They can't.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: stinkypoon ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:32PM

Because we're all really sick of Iraq, good news or bad news. Until the news becomes about how Iraq will pay back the hundreds of millions of $$$ spent on "freeing" it, I don't really give a damn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: RAT'Z AZZ ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:26PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq
> anymore?"
>
> Actually Robert Gates just said a day or two ago
> that the draw down of the surge has been postponed
> indefinitely because of the recent spike in
> violence. The fact is McCain will continue this
> nonsense, which is bankrupting our country and
> destroying our military, while Barack Obama will
> end it.
>
> At this point, I don't give a rat's ass if the
> Sunnis and Shi'ites kill each other in the streets
> of their own God forsaken shithole of a country.
> Get our people out of there and stop mortgaging my
> grandchildrens' future to China to finance this
> pointless war.


FIRST: If you are going to use my name in vain, at least spell it correctly, thank-you.

SECOND: We don't hear about the WAR because our troops are kicking shit outta those camel jockeys and that has the liberal 4th Estate's panties in a knot.

Those men and women over there aren't doing it for BUSH, they are doing it for their buddies standing beside them and for US. I agree we were hoodwinked lied to and posteriorly penetrated to get our troops over there, so either let the military commanders FIGHT and WIN or GET THE FUCK OUT,

When you pussyfoot around, being sensitive to the what everybody in the world thinks about you as the most powerful nation in the world, you lose that one little bit of edge you have, the fear you inspire in the shitbags that started this war in the first place. KICK THEIR AZZEZ, PIZZ ON THEIR GRAVES and DON"T GIVE A RAT"Z AZZ ABOUT WHAT THE REST OF THE WORLD THINKS.

THE MESSAGE MUST BE CLEAR AND SIMPLE: IF YOU KILL OUR CITIZENS AND BOMB OUR COUNTRY YOU WILL DIE.

Thank-you for opportunity of expressing my humble opinion and now it's time for me to go vote.
Attachments:
military-5.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Meade ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:44PM

We should be right ashamed about the Iraq war because its a war of Aggression by northerners much like that other war of aggression fought so long ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:31PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > yes they did...and a number of them should be
> sent
> > packing home also. Buttt...
>
> but nothing! they would have done the same
> fucking thing if they were the party that
> controlled both houses of congress.


That is pure conjecture on your part. Bush/Cheney pushed and sold this war for reasons we still havent been told. There is no evidence or any indication that any Democratic president (Gore in 2000) would have made Iraq the focal point of our response to 9/11 which was planned and executed by Saudi Arabians that were trained in Afghanistan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 13, 2008 07:36PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is pure conjecture on your part.


oh please, people are so predictable, especially in large groups.


> Bush/Cheney
> pushed and sold this war for reasons we still
> havent been told.


That is pure conjecture on your part! the difference is that i'm right about this.


> There is no evidence or any
> indication that any Democratic president (Gore in
> 2000) would have made Iraq the focal point of our
> response to 9/11 which was planned and executed by
> Saudi Arabians that were trained in Afghanistan.


iraq wasnt intended focus. if you recall, we went into afghanistan first and it seemed like a clean sweep. iraq was invaded due to intel that turned out to be false. now, would the democrats gotten the same information, oh yes, yes they would have. politics has damn little to do with our choice to invade, we were pissed and wanted vengeance, hell, we still are and still do. we're kicking ass over in iraq and afghanistan. you still hear about iraq everytime it's more than pot shots and road side bombs. also, every couple months, we take out the new leader of al-queda or other prominent member. it's slow, but we are pulling them apart.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:17PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That is pure conjecture on your part.
>
> oh please, people are so predictable, especially
> in large groups.
>
>
> > Bush/Cheney
> > pushed and sold this war for reasons we still
> > havent been told.
>
> That is pure conjecture on your part! the
> difference is that i'm right about this.
>
>
> > There is no evidence or any
> > indication that any Democratic president (Gore
> in
> > 2000) would have made Iraq the focal point of
> our
> > response to 9/11 which was planned and executed
> by
> > Saudi Arabians that were trained in
> Afghanistan.
>
> iraq wasnt intended focus. if you recall, we went
> into afghanistan first and it seemed like a clean
> sweep. iraq was invaded due to intel that turned
> out to be false. now, would the democrats gotten
> the same information, oh yes, yes they would have.
> politics has damn little to do with our choice to
> invade, we were pissed and wanted vengeance, hell,
> we still are and still do. we're kicking ass over
> in iraq and afghanistan. you still hear about
> iraq everytime it's more than pot shots and road
> side bombs. also, every couple months, we take
> out the new leader of al-queda or other prominent
> member. it's slow, but we are pulling them apart.


Gravis...with all due respects I humbly disagree with your that innocent mistakes were made and that blind vengeance led us to war. In fact is the role of leadership to quell the flames of vengeance not feed it. Instead the Republican party leadership chose to enflame those those passions for reasons that are yet not fully understood. But if you are correct, it does not excuse incompetence at the highest levels. I will leave you with a summary of the Carnegie Endowment Report of Jan 2004....they reported

Administration offi cials systematically misrepresented the threat from
Iraq’s WMD and ballistic missile programs, beyond the intelligence
failures by:
Treating nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons as a single “WMD threat.”
The confl ation of three distinct threats, very different in the danger they pose,
distorted the cost/benefi t analysis of the war. (p. 52)
Insisting without evidence—yet treating as a given truth—that Saddam
Hussein would give whatever WMD he possessed to terrorists. (p. 52)
Routinely dropping caveats, probabilities, and expressions of uncertainty present
in intelligence assessments from public statements. (p. 53)
Misrepresenting inspectors’ findings in ways that turned threats from minor to
dire. (p. 53)


Interested in reading it all?

http://www.carnegieendowment.org/publications/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1435&prog=zgp&proj=znpp

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:58PM

every country in the UN thought that sadam has chemical weapons since long before 2000. do you not remember there repeated refusals to allow UN inspectors anywhere? what about the trucks that were moving lots of unknown stuff right before we invaded that we were sure were chemical weapons? seriously dude, you have to think about it on a human level instead of some uber master plan. im sure plenty of people "misrepresented information" to try to avoid bureaucracy. im not saying it was right of them to do and i dont agree with them for doing it, but i understand why, they are human, they were angry. the government is made of people and when information is passed from person to person, it's like that kids game telephone. it starts off as, "i like checkers," and ends up as "purple monkey cats are here!" mistakes were made, hardly a masterminded plan to rule the world.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:02PM

Gravis...if we have the right to invade every country that has WMD...there wont be 100 years of war as Sen McCain proposes...but 10000 years of war. All these "facts" were over sold and repeated over and over again to the point we all started to beleive them. Do you know that there are a ton of people who still think the 9/11 perpetrators were from Iraq! Im sorry I come across as some sort of conspiracy nut...but I do beleive that the US propaganda machine of the last 8 years is unsurpassed by any other in history.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:28PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> every country in the UN thought that sadam has
> chemical weapons since long before 2000. do you
> not remember there repeated refusals to allow UN
> inspectors anywhere? what about the trucks that
> were moving lots of unknown stuff right before we
> invaded that we were sure were chemical weapons?
> seriously dude, you have to think about it on a
> human level instead of some uber master plan. im
> sure plenty of people "misrepresented information"
> to try to avoid bureaucracy. im not saying it was
> right of them to do and i dont agree with them for
> doing it, but i understand why, they are human,
> they were angry. the government is made of people
> and when information is passed from person to
> person, it's like that kids game telephone. it
> starts off as, "i like checkers," and ends up as
> "purple monkey cats are here!" mistakes were
> made, hardly a masterminded plan to rule the
> world.

Scott Ritter, the chief UN Weapons Inspector from 1991 to 1998, said prior to the war in Iraq that 90 to 95% of the WMD Iraq had been verified as destroyed and that the remaining 5 to 10% was insignificant to pose a threat to anyone.

Scott Ritter knew more about the issue than anyone else - including Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz - and the Bush Administration chose to ignore him and others who had firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Whether there was some broad conspiracy afoot will never be known. But history will judge the Bush Administration as one of the most incompetent in history.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 14, 2008 07:28AM

The Bush Administration wasnt incompetent...they went in with an agenda and they have suceeded. They have stacked the Supreme Court to the point Roe vs Wade may be overturned...they have reduced taxes for the rich...they have increased domestic and defence spending to the point where this years spending budget includes no increases and in some cases decreases in domestic spending. This is not circumstance nor random events. They are completely in line with the Republican Party agenda!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 14, 2008 12:55PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis...if we have the right to invade every
> country that has WMD...there wont be 100 years of
> war as Sen McCain proposes...but 10000 years of
> war.


woo! let's do it! ^_^


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: February 14, 2008 03:02PM

Gravis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Gravis...if we have the right to invade every
> > country that has WMD...there wont be 100 years
> of
> > war as Sen McCain proposes...but 10000 years of
> > war.
>
> woo! let's do it! ^_^


Like most ball-less chickenhawks, Gravis is more than happy to cheer our troops on to their deaths as he sits in the comfort of his Burke townhome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:55PM

Gravis..is a little hot headed...but he is also one of the few who can carry on a half way intelligent conversation when he isnt using foul language. He just went a little over board, like I have a few times on here. I hope he is young and capable of learning.

By the way Gravis...do you know where most of the countries get the tecnology to build their non-nuclear weapons of mass destruction? The good old USA! In fact until Sadam decided to think a little independently of us...the USA was the main source of his weaponry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 14, 2008 05:41PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravis..is a little hot headed...but he is also
> one of the few who can carry on a half way
> intelligent conversation when he isnt using foul
> language.


BULLSHIT!... oh wait...


> He just went a little over board, like
> I have a few times on here.


do you mean with the "let's do it" comment? sarcasm is where it's at!


> I hope he is young and capable of learning.

i am young, but i think for myself. i dont go with the "everything is fine... now back in line!" people or the "OMG THERE WAS A SECOND SHOOTER!" people. both sides conform to specific ideas, zombies and radicals. i assess situation the best i can with the information i have, which is what i have done here.

so there are things you must consider about this situation. while we learn from history, sometimes we make the same damn mistakes over and over. this is an element of humanity that emerges when emotions become involved. while i dont dismiss the possibility of conspiracy, it seems extremely unlikely as events have not been as we predicted, otherwise we wouldnt be in the situation we are in. if in fact this was a conspiracy, the endgame has completely fallen apart and there wont be the payout expected.


> By the way Gravis...do you know where most of the
> countries get the tecnology to build their
> non-nuclear weapons of mass destruction? The good
> old USA!


i do know this and im hoping we (as a nation) learn from these mistakes.


> In fact until Sadam decided to think a
> little independently of us...the USA was the main
> source of his weaponry.


im fully aware of this, as well as how this happened with osama bin laden.


"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Delmar4fun ()
Date: January 22, 2010 11:07AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Scott Ritter knew more about the issue than anyone
> else - including Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz - and the
> Bush Administration chose to ignore him and others
> who had firsthand knowledge of the situation.

This Scott Ritter? Yeah, he's credible. Way to back a fucking sicko there.

CNN) -- Pennsylvania authorities say they arrested a former United Nations weapons inspector after he allegedly exchanged sexually explicit online messages with a police officer who was pretending to be a 15-year-old girl.

Scott Ritter, the former top U.N. weapons inspector in Iraq, was arrested in November, months after police said he sent sexual messages to a police officer posing as a 15-year-old girl named Emily, the Barrett Township, Pennsylvania, Police Department said in a news release Thursday.

According to an affidavit of probable cause, "delmar4fun" contacted Barrett Township Detective Ryan Venneman -- who was posing as "Emily," from Poconos, Pennsylvania -- in an online chat room on February 7, 2009, saying he was a 44-year-old man from Albany, New York.

Ritter, 48, lives in Delmar, New York, according to police. Delmar is in Albany County.

"Delmar4fun," whom police identified as Ritter, sent "Emily" a link to his Web camera and then masturbated on camera and said he was fantasizing about having sex with her, the affidavit said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Date: January 22, 2010 11:10AM

Scott Ritter may be a sick fuck. But that doesn't change the fact that he was right about WMD in Iraq. So suck it, ass.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Wahhh ()
Date: January 22, 2010 11:12AM

There is a war...in Iraq??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why do we rarely hear about the War in Iraq anymore?
Posted by: Delmar4fun ()
Date: January 22, 2010 11:13AM

WashingTone-Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So suck it, ass.

Speaking of sick fucks...... I'll leave that kind of activity to you and your new boyfriend Scat Brown(R).

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **  **    **  **    **  ********   ********  
 **     **   **  **    **  **   **     **  **     ** 
 **     **    ****      ****    **     **  **     ** 
 **     **     **        **     **     **  ********  
  **   **      **        **     **     **  **        
   ** **       **        **     **     **  **        
    ***        **        **     ********   **        
This forum powered by Phorum.