HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What is a decent run as a workout ?
Posted by: Need to shed weight ()
Date: November 09, 2011 11:38AM

Gonna loose a couple three pounds, what is a good run to maintain weight control 1.5 miles, 2 miles?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is a decent run as a workout ?
Posted by: Conie ()
Date: November 09, 2011 11:39AM

3 miles

Posted by: shut it ()
Date: November 09, 2011 11:48AM

Conie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3 miles

stfu up Phonie...you can barely make it to your refrigerator.

Posted by: Jackie Gleason ()
Date: November 09, 2011 11:54AM

Posted by: truth speaker ()
Date: November 09, 2011 11:59AM

Even though you got some flab but if you are other than that a fit person then 4 miles is good.

If you consider yourself a couch muffin then 1 mile everyday.

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:01PM

If you have never run, well, 2 miles will feel long. If you want to lose weight, you need to exercise, or run, for at least 15 minutes to get your heart working hard enough to begin the burn. I think anyhting less than 4 miles is pointless.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:13PM

3500 calories per pound of weight, plus or minus.

Calories burned by ... moving: http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist3.htm

Here's the first lines of that table:

Exercise & Calories Burned per Hour
Running, 5 mph (12 minute mile) [Note that this works out to a 5 mile run]

Your weight and resulting calorie burn

130 lbs 472
155 lbs 563
180 lbs 654
205 lbs 745

You want to lose three pounds. All else being equal you need to burn 10000-ish calories. Dividing through by the above burns gives:

130 lbs 21+ hours of running
155 lbs 17+ hours
180 lbs 15+ hours
205 lbs 13+ hours

Please note that I would consider 5 miles of running to be a VERY hard distance for anyone who is not a runner.

Posted by: healthnut2 ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:14PM

Running is not the best exercise for weight loss. It puts stress on the bones and joints. Swimming is much better, or bike riding.

Posted by: lifting ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:17PM

healthnut2 Wrote:
> Running is not the best exercise for weight loss.
> It puts stress on the bones and joints. Swimming
> is much better, or bike riding.

Agreed. Free weights is hands down the best. Running works until you build your mussels up to consistently run a certain distance then that’s it. Weights will build muscle faster and burn more. Running is good for cardio, but not for mussel building. Mussel building will burn more during and after your work out.

Posted by: Olde Farte ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:28PM

lifting Wrote:
> ...Mussel building will burn more during and after your work out.

Before:

VILLOSA_IRIS-SHELL_small1.jpg

After:

8943828-large.jpg

Posted by: Conie ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:37PM

shut it Wrote:
> Conie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > 3 miles
>
>
> stfu up Phonie...you can barely make it to your
> refrigerator.

Excuse me, but i run 1/2 marathons...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________" "good christ is there no limit to their douchebaggery?" - Gonads & Strife

Posted by: DEP ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:47PM

I am in the delayed entry program for the US Army. I exercise daily and do cardio however I don't run as often and am starting up as well. Honestly it depends on what shape you are in. In high school I was overweight so I sucked at the mile. Now I can run a 7:27 and can pace an 8:30 for 3 miles (which to me isn't good at all), when I get to basic training it has to be lower in order to get a good score on the 2-2-2. Anyways with that being said go to GMU and run their track when it is open. It's free to use aside from parking. Time yourself doing a mile and take it from there. The best thing about running is if you do it often you will see fairly quick results. Also buy decent running shoes if you are running on concrete I can't stress that enough. I've seen quite a few people who developed knee problems quickly because of that. I agree with all of the posters here though, you won't see any real results unless you run a minimum of 2 miles. 1 mile daily really won't get your heart rate up enough to burn calories. Lastly, what some people don't realize is that exercise alone won't shed the weight you have to watch what you eat. It's pointless to do all that running and then suck down cheeseburgers or fast food.

Posted by: Ms ProVallone ()
Date: November 09, 2011 12:48PM

any activity that raises your heart rate for 20 minutes is good

Posted by: sumguy ()
Date: November 09, 2011 01:26PM

A good vigorous sexual encounter can burn alot of calories also. Just don't swallow!!

Posted by: Jim Fixx ()
Date: November 09, 2011 02:38PM

Just bang out the fastest run you can for 30 minutes daily. You'll be unfatty in no time.

Posted by: That'll work ()
Date: November 09, 2011 02:50PM

If you run about 2 miles and actually break into a sweat, you're working hard enough, not sweat no work, All this mularkey about 4miles and 5 miles is admirable if you can do it, but if you can religiously do 2 miles a day you're doing fine. Combine it with weights or rope climbing (which I do) and that's sufficient, one good climb without use of legs amounts to about 6 pullups.

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: November 09, 2011 07:57PM

If you're starting from the couch (e.g., you don't exercise), start off with a mile or two. Don't feel bad if you walk part of it. Do this a few times a week. Over the course of three weeks, you should be able to run the full two miles. Once you can do that, add a third mile. Walk/run is fine, the key is to just be moving.

What many people wrote above about lifting is also true: it will build muscle and continue to burn calories after your workout. That being said, it won't do a thing for your cardio. (When I'm not training for races, I do a series of resistance training -- think TRX suspension straps* - w/ 2-min sprints on the TM between sets, but when I'm training for races, I stick to running.)

Anything over 20 minutes is good, but if you really want to see weight loss/maintenance, try to get up to 40 minutes. (This is the threshold where you're pretty much done with easily accessible carbs and are beginning to dip into burning your fat stores.)

Also, if you exercise first thing in the morning (or earlier in the day), your metabolism will be raised for the day and you'll continue to burn more calories.

Good luck and if you have any questions, post away. I've been running for over a decade and have raced (and placed) at distances between 5k and the marathon.

If you're not enjoying yourself or don't feel like running, head out for 10 minutes. If you still don't feel like running, turn around and head back home. Chances are you'll change your mind once you're out there (and you'll also have a 20 minute run under your belt). Very rarely do I come home from a run regretting my decision to head out the door.

Finally...set the gear shift for the high gear of your soul [and] run like an antelope out of control.

Happy trails!

Learn more about TRX suspension-type workouts at http://www.trxtraining.com/page/000-94127/PROD/TRXPACK?Category_Code=TRX.

Posted by: trxer ()
Date: November 09, 2011 09:22PM

Lotsa good tips. Watch what you eat, get the heart rate up for 30 minutes, cross train with weights for a metabolism boost and to avoid injury.

TRX rocks. Try different things - yoga, kettle bells, P90X, Crossfit. There are sooo many ways to be active.

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: November 10, 2011 05:27AM

None of you know anything about fitness.

You're still pushing out-of-date fitness myths.

You do NOT need to run 5+ miles or do 1+ hour of cardio a day to lose weight or stay fit.

If anything, that will just make you look like all the other long distance runners: Skeletal, stringy, tired and gross.

Long distance runners look like they're suffering from cancer...

The human body was NOT designed to run long distances.

If you want BETTER results, do HIIT training and reduce your daily calories.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read.php?40,661007,662701,quote=1

I have one of the best bod's you'll ever see.

I only do about 15 minutes of HIIT cardio a day.

I also lift weight 4 times a week and I NEVER spend more than 30 minutes in the gym.

I also do lots of indoor/outdoor rock climbing, Pankration martial arts, Fencing, etc, as mentioned in that post.

Some other things I want to address is this absolutely retarded mindset in America that advocates punishing yourself in the gym so you can eat like a pig.

Everything in moderation!

I also NEVER want to hear anyone say "I can't. I'm on a diet."

Eat ANYTHING you want.

Just don't eat a TON of it.

Go to a nutrionist and figure out your daily calorie limit.

Don't pass it.

Lose weight.

Simple.

Yesterday I ate a few leftover Halloween candy bars, a couple icecream bars (I have a sweet tooth), stinky/green French cheese and crackers, a couple donuts, some Subway, some seafood, 2 cups of coffee (with lots of cream), a few protein shakes, pizza and my girlfriend's salty vagina juices.

Wanna know how much weight I'll gain even though I eat like that EVERY day?

NONE.

That's because I can easily eat 2000+ calories a day due to being 6'4, muscular and active.

Follow the tips I gave you and you can do the same!

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: November 10, 2011 06:09AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 05:08PM by Alias.

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: November 10, 2011 06:48AM

Oh do tell.....it was just gettin good!

Posted by: theShadowToo ()
Date: November 10, 2011 01:42PM

Yucky24 might know a thing or two about working out and he's spot on when it comes to eating in moderation, but the pics he posted are of elite athletes at the top of their game. If you want to see what regular, every day runners look like (and what you'll probably look like, depending on your body type), go to the W&OD on a weekend. You'll see all body types out there. Or check out the starting line at the National Marathon next Spring. Sure, there will be some wisps of runners near the front, but there will also be Clydesdales (folks over 200 lbs) and everything in-between.

That being said, you'd better not lift weights, as you might end up like these guys:

(Hey, to each his own, but I think it's pretty freakish.)
Attachments:
jay_cutler_mr_universe.jpg
freakizoid.jpg
freakshow.jpg

Posted by: Lotta that "beach muscle" means shit. ()
Date: November 10, 2011 01:51PM

I remember a fighter called Butterbean" years ago. He was involved in a 6 rounder with this guy who was built like "Mr Universe". Butterbean was, by all appearances, a tub. The commencement bell rang and the Butterbean planted a hook on the guy and the guy went down "cold". I've seen shit like that so many times. That muscle shit is carnival stuff, a solid lean hard build is best.

Posted by: jbalo ()
Date: November 10, 2011 01:54PM

losing weight is all about calories in, calories out. if you take in more than you use, you gain. if you take in less than you use, you lose. if you take in exactly what you use, you maintain.

you should lose 1-2 pounds a week to do this in a healthy and sustainable way. to do that, for most, you just need to have a deaily net reduction in calories of about 500. typically people can do this rather easily through reducing their food intake by 250 calories and then exercising or doing some other activity that uses 250 calories. there are several websites and apps that will help you through this, as there are many personal factors that influence how you use energy and lose weight (age, sex, current weight, metabolic rate)

men, because of the natural amount of lean muscle mass, can lose weight much faster and more easily than women. envious.

Posted by: Need to shed weight. ()
Date: November 10, 2011 04:32PM

I want to thank everyone who responded. I have read all your posts and it has enlightened and educated me. Again thanks.

Posted by: Sophia777 ()
Date: August 29, 2018 03:54AM

Great thread! Thanks for sharing your experience, guys! I've recently started working on gaining muscles. As I'm pretty new to this, I'm looking for some useful information on the topic. I was lucky to find a good source that persuaded me that running can help me to speed up the process, so I do workouts, eat properly and run three times per week. I hope for the good and fast result.

Posted by: piece and a half of cake ()
Date: August 29, 2018 07:45AM

Need to shed weight Wrote:
> Gonna loose a couple three pounds, what is a good
> run to maintain weight control 1.5 miles, 2 miles?

start with 20 min a day 6 days a week. Walk run it doesnt matter. As long as you are at ~70-85% max hear rate (~220 - age = MHR). Increase the time by 3 min per week until you reach 45-60 min a day (ok to break it up into 2-3 sessions). If you are short of time you can halve the time if you double the effort. So you could do short sprints for 10 min (30sec sprint 30 sec rest x 10).

longer duration will help with weight loss but no amount of exercise will cause weight loss unless you have a daily calorie deficit. Diet is the only way to lose weight. Even an athlete only burns a piece to a piece and a half of cake per hour.

Posted by: Not a Nice Place ()
Date: August 29, 2018 07:49AM

Connie,

There are 13 year old flamers all over this site. Just fucking with people because their parents sent them to their room for teasing their sister. And all they want to do is monkey with people without restraint.

Then you got the low-lifes, racist, sexist who want to slur everyone. Because they are too cowardly to do it in public. Face-to-face.

In short this is an internet cess pool. Be careful, take no one seriously they are not even real posters just trolls from hell.

shut it Wrote:
> Conie Wrote:
> -----
> > 3 miles
>
>
> stfu up Phonie...you can barely make it to your
> refrigerator.

Excuse me, but i run 1/2 marathons...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________" "good christ is there no limit to their douchebaggery?" - Gonads & Strife

Posted by: dwdwdwdw ()
Date: August 29, 2018 08:36AM

Burning more calories than you consume is the key it doesnt matter how. Combining theses sports would be an excellent plan to remain active, limit injury and boredom. Of the 3 running requires only shorts shirt and shoes - its easy to get out the door. Swimming is a drive or run to the pool. Biking requires a lot of equipment. Helmet, shoes, bike, chk air pressure plan a safe route, water bottle.

I do all three and can tell you as you age running will fade away as its tough on the joints. You can bike and swim your whole life, running not so much. Walking is good too. You burn same calories running 3 miles as you do walking the same distance it just takes more time walking.

Posted by: lie in state ()
Date: August 29, 2018 09:02AM

If you are a Trumpsupporter simply eat Big Macs and be sedentary. According to our Dear Leader exercise shortens your life. MAGA

Posted by: Vave ()
Date: August 11, 2020 06:19PM

You should run as miles as you think enough to be. lose weight, you need to eat less protein and daily reduce daily calories. However, I dream about your problem) I have been trying to get more muscles for a lot of years, I have such good metabolism, I just couldn't get any weight. I have tried alot of different methods of trainings, but nothing works. One time, my friend told me that he started to take SARM's. I decided to find more info on this thread and were shocked how many positive reviews on them. On stoneathleticmedicine.com I have choosen what exactly I need and ordered it. I have never seen such a good shape of my body)

Posted by: Jim fixx ()
Date: August 11, 2020 06:29PM

Don’t need to run.
Just walk an hour each day.
Much better in your joints.

Posted by: TrueEarl ()
Date: August 13, 2020 06:45PM

Vave Wrote:
> You should run as miles as you think enough to be. lose weight, you need to eat less protein and daily reduce daily calories. However, I dream about your problem) I have been trying to get more muscles for a lot of years, I have such good metabolism, I just couldn't get any weight. I have tried alot of different methods of trainings, but nothing works. One time, my friend told me that he started to take SARM's. I decided to find more info on this thread and were shocked how many positive reviews on them. On stoneathleticmedicine.com I have choosen what exactly I need and ordered it. I have never seen such a good shape of my body)
>
>

thanks for sharing your story with us

Posted by: joe you know who ()
Date: August 13, 2020 06:52PM

Not more than quarter mile, anything more and you stand the chance of getting lost. Just do push ups.

Posted by: up and down the stairs 500X ()
Date: August 13, 2020 07:39PM

I live in a townhouse and used to do this because I had neighbors I hated. After three months they sold the place and a nice family moved in. The I quit working out because I don't want the new neighbors to move away and I had already lost 22 pounds (the goal was twenty).

Posted by: Die Spammer!!!!! ()
Date: September 20, 2023 04:19PM

TrueEarl Wrote:
> Vave Wrote:
> -----
> > You should run as miles as you think enough to
> be. lose weight, you need to eat less protein and
> daily reduce daily calories. However, I dream
> about your problem) I have been trying to get more
> muscles for a lot of years, I have such good
> metabolism, I just couldn't get any weight. I have
> tried alot of different methods of trainings, but
> nothing works. One time, my friend told me that he
> started to take SARM's. I decided to find more
> info on this thread and were shocked how many
> positive reviews on them. On href="https://stoneathleticmedicine.com/best-sarms
> /">stoneathleticmedicine.com
I have choosen
> what exactly I need and ordered it. I have never
> seen such a good shape of my body)
> >
> >
>
> thanks for sharing your story with us

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Eat shit and die spammer

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.