HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What happened to PG county
Posted by: NIMBY ()
Date: November 15, 2010 09:05PM

In reading about the lastest PG county scandal, I read that the demographics there changed dramatically around 30 years ago. Anyone with deeper roots here know why that took place? Could the same happen in FFX county?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happened to PG county
Posted by: farm girl ()
Date: November 15, 2010 09:48PM

Greed never stops..
Attachments:
greed.jpg

Border Security is CHEAPER Than Wars
Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 15, 2010 09:54PM

file.php?40,file=192503,filename=obama-d

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 10:49PM by WingNut.

Posted by: raheem935 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 04:33AM

NIMBY Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In reading about the lastest PG county scandal, I
> read that the demographics there changed
> dramatically around 30 years ago. Anyone with
> deeper roots here know why that took place? Could
> the same happen in FFX county?

demographics can you be more clear

Posted by: ExGreenbelt ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:26AM

Before DC residents started moving to PG the County government was every
bit as corrupt as it is now. Nothings changed but the demographics.
Statewide is a mess too. Spiro Agnew, Marvin Mandel, etc....

Posted by: ExGreenbelt ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:27AM

ExGreenbelt Wrote:
> Before DC residents started moving to PG the
> County government was every
> bit as corrupt as it is now. Nothings changed but
> the demographics.
> Statewide is a mess too. Spiro Agnew, Marvin
> Mandel, etc....

Can't forget former PG County Exec Winfield Kelly.

Posted by: Former Resident ()
Date: November 16, 2010 08:11AM

30 years is about when things started changing, but only if you look at false-science "race". PG County has always been the "poorer" of the area counties. When I lived there (about 50 years ago to about 20 years ago, different locations), there were lots of startup families moving into relatively newly-developed housing. My own parents rented in New Carrolton then bought in College Park, I bought my first (town)house in the southern Bowie area in the mid-80s. Back then nothing was developed - lots of new development going on all over the place (when I first started driving, for example, the Beltway had fairly recently been completed and Dulles Airport was WAY out in the sticks). Anyway, in Bowie the neighborhood was as mixed as you could get it - lots of young professionals of all "races". When I moved out in the early 90s (to where I am now in north Centreville) the character of the neighborhood already was changing from young owners to young renters. I rented my own townhouse out at the time (there might have been a "housing market" effect at that time, BTW - nothing is static w.r.t. "demographics"! When I bought that townhouse I was lucky to get an 11.25% mortgage, for example). Anywho, lots of families were moving from DC and Baltimore areas to the county since it was/is convenient to lots of places; those families brought in the false-science "race" card. We moved out of the area, however, NOT due to PG County demographics but Fairfax County demographics - the tech jobs Tsunami was in Fairfax County.

Now PG County is well-developed and, like all such well-developed areas, has gone largely from ownership to rental. THAT effects things much more than "race".

Eventually, IMHO, PG County property will begin to take on new value as people realize just how convenient it is to just about everywhere (lots of roads going everywhere). When that happens the conversion of the small lot rentals to larger lot ownership will take place, much as some isolated locations in uber-convenient Annandale and Falls Church are reverting to big house ownership.

Posted by: Jack B. Johnson ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:41AM

"Prince Georges County, a livable community." [barely]

excellent [and funny] discussion about PG County here : http://www.city-data.com/forum/washington-dc-suburbs-maryland/725730-stay-away-pg-county-11.html

Date: November 16, 2010 09:44AM

PG County = SUCKS [for ALL races] aka 'TRASHVILLE'.

Posted by: corey ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:54PM

NIMBY Wrote:
> In reading about the lastest PG county scandal, I
> read that the demographics there changed
> dramatically around 30 years ago. Anyone with
> deeper roots here know why that took place? Could
> the same happen in FFX county?

It already has, havent you been by the Centreville library at about 7:30 every morning!

Posted by: ???? ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:41PM

So it seems we either believe the forced busing/white flight or the high level of renters compared to owners did the county in. What's surprsing is how quickly the change took place - hardly 20 years. You wouldn't think most folks were so mobile to sell and leave en masse.

Posted by: Cherese White ()
Date: November 06, 2012 06:09PM

Equal Opportunity TRASH Wrote:
> PG County = SUCKS [for ALL races] aka
> 'TRASHVILLE'.

You can't say it is just because of race but more because many black people who were middle and upper middle class moved into P.G. County, P.G. County was fine, I know because I grew up there. What happened is a lot of poor just got out of the ghetto but didn't want to leave the ghetto behind black people were forced out of D.C or chose to move there but didn't leave their ghetto mentality behind. Many of the new politicians reflect this. It's more about the class of people who moved in than race of people. Also P.G. residents are very passive and don't stay on top of politicians. Politicians are very corrupt and don't do a lot for many of the residents.

Posted by: Amhistori ()
Date: November 06, 2012 06:54PM

About the time the Lyons sisters were abudcted, a mass white flight to the far outer rural counties Charles, Anne Arundel, and Howard started.

Posted by: Mayor for LIFE ()
Date: November 07, 2012 01:23AM

You can thank marion berry for a lot that growth in P.G. county

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.