HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
rally to restore sanity
Posted by: rubin kinkade ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:01AM

anyone going to DC today?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rally to restore sanity
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:25AM

I don't think they have ever experienced the DC Metro. By the time it is over, most of the attendees will no longer be sane (assuming they started out sane).

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: mcsmack ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:46AM

Rally to restore sanity? Just like the liberals . They just can't bring themselves to call it what it is. It should be "Rally to preserve liberalism". It should be a good party. I doubt there was any pot smoking at the Tea Party rally. There should be some wacky speakers too. I hope Lady Gaga shows up in her meat dress.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:52AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think they have ever experienced the DC
> Metro. By the time it is over, most of the
> attendees will no longer be sane (assuming they
> started out sane).

I wanted to go to Colbert's rally, but I'm not fighting that fucking crowd.

I just dropped a friend off at a Metro station in Arlington. She sent me this text:

"There isn't standing room on the platform. It's an hour wait."

And that's why I'm not going to the rally.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: Yupper ()
Date: October 30, 2010 12:11PM

Are they passing out food stamps?

Posted by: Sigh ()
Date: October 30, 2010 12:19PM

The realtime webcast of this is a joke - there is a HUGE rally going on and they're showing the STAGE. Whoever the director of the show is should be canned NOW and someone who knows rallies put in place.

Too bad - from the millisecond shots of the crowd they've got a massive showing. If they showed the crowed more they'd have an even bigger rally.

The joke's one them.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: October 30, 2010 02:32PM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 03:41AM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: October 30, 2010 03:45PM

Pretty impressive turnout. And they didn't need the reflecting pool to fake it, unlike Beck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: what really transpired ()
Date: October 30, 2010 03:50PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> I just dropped a she male friend off at a Metro station in
> Arlington. S/he sent me this text:
>
> "Check your room for my platforms. I cant' wait to come back to you in a few!"
>
> And that's why I'm not going to the rally.

Posted by: OMG, you're such a nerd ()
Date: October 30, 2010 03:53PM

what really transpired Wrote:
> MrMephisto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > I just dropped a she male friend off at a Metro
> station in
> > Arlington. S/he sent me this text:
> >
> > "Check your room for my platforms. I cant' wait
> to come back to you in a few!"
> >
> > And that's why I'm not going to the rally.

Tee Hee..good one Chuckie!

Posted by: the line ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:06PM

Attachments:
73189_10150330909745008_664480007_15490656_5911415_n.jpg

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:11PM

That was at WFC? What time? That's ridiculous.

Way to go, Metro. You are the shittiest run "business" in town.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:29PM

Eastsider Wrote:
>
> Way to go, Metro. You are the shittiest run
> "business" in town.

I suspect a similar situation as the Beck rally, bunches of people who never ride Metro bottlenecked at the farecard machines.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: the line ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:35PM

Eastsider Wrote:
> That was at WFC? What time?

Yes; noonish.

Posted by: Shithappens ()
Date: October 30, 2010 04:38PM

Come on guys. I'm quite sure that when they designed the Metro system they didn't plan for these kinds of crowds regularly.

Posted by: dika-dika ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:00PM

Orange and blue line single tracking for repairs today

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: October 30, 2010 05:07PM

just got home

first off i dont take metro. i own a car.

I left home about 12:30. drove into town on I66. only a mild slowdown where construction blocked one lane.

i had some lunch on the waterfront then parked on 7th street about 3 blocks from the mall area in front of the stage. I got there about 20 mins. before J.S. hit the stage. his little act seemed kinda lame but i couldn't see too much.

the crowd looked like all typical NoVA people. the kind that drive suv's wear name brand clothing and have that dry, witty sense of humor like their life is an episode of seinfeld or friends.

i decided to stop off at archibalds on the way home. I only stayed for 2 dancers. i fell in love with one. then I drove back back on I66 via spout run at highway speed the whole way.

Date: October 30, 2010 05:09PM

actully, i guess i took the toll road home

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:42PM

You cannot judge anything by a line at Metro. I went into DC about a few weeks ago on a Saturday and there was nothing big going on. The trains looked like something out of India, people would have been better off clinging to the sides than riding inside.

It was so freaking hot inside the car and it smelled like B O. Because they allowed people to be packed in when it stopped no one in the middle could get to the door to get off and people on the outside were pushing to get in.

I dont care how much a job paid there is no way I could ride that nightmare five days a week. Because of single tracking what should have been a 20 min one way ride took an hour and a half.
Attachments:
india-train.jpg

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:44PM

I watched it on TV and was disappointed. Half of it was music, and the comedy wasn't as funny as a typical Daily Show or Colbert episode.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:53PM

Josey Wales Wrote:
> You cannot judge anything by a line at Metro. I
> went into DC about a few weeks ago on a Saturday
> and there was nothing big going on. The trains
> looked like something out of India, people would
> have been better off clinging to the sides than
> riding inside.
>
> It was so freaking hot inside the car and it
> smelled like B O. Because they allowed people to
> be packed in when it stopped no one in the middle
> could get to the door to get off and people on the
> outside were pushing to get in.
>
> I dont care how much a job paid there is no way I
> could ride that nightmare five days a week.
> Because of single tracking what should have been a
> 20 min one way ride took an hour and a half.

You're actually right, the Metro crowd doesn't mean jack. I went into D.C. for a major event once, and all of Downtown was shutdown, with people packing every tree branch, walkway, etc., yet there weren't any lines at the Metro stations (The train was packed, but they ran smoothly).

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: themuse ()
Date: October 30, 2010 05:55PM

sanity is soooooooo overrated.

yeefuckinghaw

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 30, 2010 10:25PM

Eastsider Wrote:
>
> That was at WFC? What time? That's ridiculous.

Yup, that's WFC. But it was the line for metro tickets, not the line for the train. I got to the station around 10 and it was out the door. I have my SmartCard, but because friends from out of town didn't have tix, I had to stand in that line for over an hour.

The event was great. I lived here a long time and have never seen anything like this one. Metro was a FUCKING DISASTER. I use metro alot and have seen it at it's worse. But, today was 10 orders of magnitude worse than anything you can imagine. Despite getting to WFC at 10AM, I didn't arrive to the rally until after 1PM. Yup, it was fucking nuts.

Anyway, here are some pics.... the lines at metro, the crowd, and some of the good signs I saw.

Attachments:
IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg
IMG_0067.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0079.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0094.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 30, 2010 10:52PM

I must say the pickets and signs are a lot more intelligent and witty than what the Tea Party protesters bring.

Date: October 30, 2010 11:10PM

Shithappens Wrote:
>
> Metro system they didn't plan for
> these kinds of crowds regularly.

Metro really fucked up today by not running on a rush hour schedule. Every train that showed up at WFC was completely filled, and no one could get on. After about an hour, we decided to get on a west-bounder to Vienna. But a few hundred others also got the same bright idea.

So we get on a Vienna-bound train, and went one stop to Dunn Loring. Apparently the folks at Dunn Loring had the same "reverse ride to Vienna" idea. That's when the train couldn't get the doors closed. After 10 minutes of people blocking the doors, Metro offloaded everyone. Yup, everyone had to get off while the empty train drove away.

After waiting 15 minutes and barely squeezing onto the next westbound train, we arrived at Vienna. Not a single person got out. Everyone trying to get on at Vienna was confronted with completely-filled trains of people coming from Arlington and WFC. The Vienna platform was completely packed, no one could get on the trains, and the line for tickets appeared to be out into the parking lot.

Because the platforms were so crowded on the way back in, trains had to stop before each station and make verbal announcements to warn people not to stand so close to the edge. And 2 or 3 times, the doors wouldn't close, so we were again warned that the train was going to offload everyone [shudder]. Luckily, that didn't happen.

The way home was just as bad, and we actually got offloaded again at Rosslyn, but with a luck, squeezed back onto the 3rd train afterwards.

Metro fucked up. There is no reason they should be on a non-rush schedule when this volume of people are in town. It was truly abominable.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: October 30, 2010 11:10PM

I think my favorite banner was "One Nation under Aqua Buddha".

Posted by: Lilly White ()
Date: October 31, 2010 01:02AM

Looks like the white people had some fun. Good for them!

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: October 31, 2010 01:15AM

Josey Wales Wrote:
> You cannot judge anything by a line at Metro. I
> went into DC about a few weeks ago on a Saturday
> and there was nothing big going on. The trains
> looked like something out of India, people would
> have been better off clinging to the sides than
> riding inside.
>
> It was so freaking hot inside the car and it
> smelled like B O. Because they allowed people to
> be packed in when it stopped no one in the middle
> could get to the door to get off and people on the
> outside were pushing to get in.
>
> I dont care how much a job paid there is no way I
> could ride that nightmare five days a week.
> Because of single tracking what should have been a
> 20 min one way ride took an hour and a half.

I remember that weekend, it was like a month ago or so. I rode into town from King St. and it was slow, but not terrible. On the way home it was so packed you couldn't breath and people in the middle had to shout to make way so they could get out.

When the train stopped at Arlington Cemetery, a Japanese or Korean guy, with his wife and a baby stroller in his wake, literally plowed into the crowded car like a running back with his forearms up, trying to make a hole big enough for his wife and stroller to fit. It was the most asshole thing I've ever seen anyone do on the Metro, and it was clear he was desperate to get on a train. He knocked me and several others aside. The only reason he didn't get punched in the face is because there wasn't enough room to wind up.

There was a 60-ish black lady next to me, and she yelled in the guy's face, telling him, "There is no room, you need to get off this minute!"

The guy was actually ashamed and he left. The crowd in the rail car erupted and cheared the lady!

Metro are idiots. I don't ever want to do that shit again.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: October 31, 2010 09:37AM

I'm surprised that Metro didn't kill anyone yesterday.

As for the scheduling - is anyone surprised? Metro is one of the most poorly run transportation systems in the country. Disorganized, lacking in any sort of foresight, and borderline incompetent.

I really don't like crowds, so I didn't go. If I had, I would have driven into the city. I know a lot of little hidey-holes to park at.

Date: October 31, 2010 09:46AM

Warhawk Wrote:
>
> I'm surprised that Metro didn't kill anyone yesterday.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=2099899

An escalator malfunctioned at L'Enfant yesterday, sending 4 people to the hospital.

Posted by: fuckmetro ()
Date: October 31, 2010 09:46AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> So we get on a Vienna-bound train, and went one
> stop to Dunn Loring. Apparently the folks at Dunn
> Loring had the same "reverse ride to Vienna" idea.
> That's when the train couldn't get the doors
> closed. After 10 minutes of people blocking the
> doors, Metro offloaded everyone. Yup, everyone
> had to get off while the empty train drove away.

It's stuff like this that really pisses me off. The same thing (almost) happened to me when I was en route to Nat's stadium. The driver attempted to close the doors a few times then made the announcement to get off. I'd say about 70% got off while the rest didn't get off. The chime started up and some rushed back in knowing they were duped.

Seriously? That's how Metro operates.. that's in their standard operating policy?

I was coming back from Union Station a few weeks ago and A LOT of people (more so than normal) were complaining about the weekend evening schedule. I don't know if it was just bad luck, but I had to wait at each station (Union then Metro Center) for like 20 minutes. You'd think MAYBE a couple more trains on each line on Saturday night right when most people are going out.

Posted by: fuckmetro ()
Date: October 31, 2010 09:51AM

(pt 2)

This is also why, on the weekends, I make the necessary trips to the Metro station to keep my balance on my SmartCard up.

I got ragged on a couple of times for it..("why you going just to put money on your card.. can't you do it the day of a trip?"). It's for stuff like this. Those lines look so bad, no way people were only standing in line for tickets for an hour. Most people STILL don't know how to use the paper card machines. Not to mention some of the machines still have the problem where if the bill didn't come directly from the bank, 100% crisp and new, it'll spit back out.

Same thing happens during inauguration time and ALWAYS happens when the cherry blossoms start up.

Date: October 31, 2010 01:02PM

I thought Stewart did well with Obama on his show. He actually made Obama look smaller than he is somehow. Stewart's only like 5'8" and Obama looked shorter than he is. Stewart's a small man. It's also good seeing lots of folks not taking themselves so serious. Especially around election time.

Date: October 31, 2010 03:31PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Warhawk Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > I'm surprised that Metro didn't kill anyone
> yesterday.
>
> http://www.wtop.com/?nid=596&sid=2099899
>
> An escalator malfunctioned at L'Enfant yesterday,
> sending 4 people to the hospital.

Metro wants to lure us into a false sense of security.

Date: October 31, 2010 05:22PM

Purveying this crowd I wonder are these the smart ones? There were a few young babes there but a lot of angry unattractive biznatches with issues and downright creepy dudes I wouldn't allow to be my friends. Are these suppose to be the smart among us?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2010 05:45PM by mcsmack.

Posted by: Josey Wales ()
Date: October 31, 2010 05:47PM

After next Tuesday I am looking forward to an end, at least temporarily, to all the negative attacks on both sides. But to be honest I dont think it will happen. It used to be after an election we had some breathing room for a year or two before another round started up.

Now elections are like Christmas and the ads start earlier each year.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: October 31, 2010 10:26PM

Burning Man, a group of people who belong to the same pod, brought their giant dragon to the rally for sanity. The dragon is their magnet and she attracts energy. haha!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/10/30/VI2010103001483.html

Date: October 31, 2010 10:41PM

Alias Wrote:
> Burning Man, a group of people who belong to the
> same pod, brought their giant dragon to the rally
> for sanity. The dragon is their magnet and she
> attracts energy. haha!!

I saw that dragon thing driving down Penn Ave. around 5 on Saturday. It was weird, nobody knew what the hell it was. The out-of-towners I was with were convinced it was some "chinese" holiday thing. But I doubted that, it was all white people riding it. I didn't argue though, they were having a good time seeing DC for the first time, so maybe it was "real chinese stuff!" ;)

Whatever point these Burning Man fans were trying to make was lost. They should just stick with the Nevada desert scene; it's not really understood in downtown DC.

Date: November 01, 2010 10:02AM

The what ever it was gathering in DC was nothing but a party for people who are government workers,teachers,Bull Shit 401C non-profits like some of the environmental activist groups, Freaks, drop outs, under achievers and general run of the mill losers.Several unions sponsored free bus trips from across the country so there was the usual "rent a mob" feel to it also. It was interesting to watch. Not much different than a good gay pride parade with a bunch of homeless people hanging around. The preponderance of pot bellied, long stringy haired,wire rim glasses wearing short and unattractive white women, missing a tooth here and there was also notable. It creeps me out the way all these women look the same. I use to think they were space aliens trying to hide in our society.

Date: November 01, 2010 10:10AM

I was content watching a bit of it on TV. I've been to inaugurations and other big events on the Mall. You can never see shit. I guess you can always say, "I was there." But, really, who gives a fuck about that stuff?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Dr. McFisty ()
Date: November 01, 2010 10:12AM

this picture was not from the rally. it was from my free clinic. so busy that I think my wrists are sprained.
Attachments:
73189_10150330909745008_664480007_15490656_5911415_n.jpg

Posted by: perfectly insane ()
Date: November 01, 2010 10:21AM

Whoever went to this thing needs to get a life. Seriously, look at the pics TheMeeper posted. Would you want to hang out with those tards all day long? And then, how stupid must you have felt commuting hours to get to this tardshow? Just look at the FAT fuck in the second to last pic! He is wearing a plaid tent.

Date: November 01, 2010 10:22AM

perfectly insane Wrote:
Just
> look at the FAT fuck in the second to last pic!
> He is wearing a plaid tent.

Okay. That was funny.

Date: November 01, 2010 10:35AM

perfectly insane Wrote:
> And then, how stupid must you have felt
> commuting hours to get to this tardshow?

I support the idea and spirit of the rally, and the average intelligence of the participants was probably greater than other large rallies that have been held there in the past.

However, I refuse to attend something that doesn't last as long as the travel time it takes to get there. I was not about to spend five hours nut to butt on the Metro so I could stand in the cold and not be able to hear the people I'm going to see.

Yeah, there were a lot of after parties and such, but the only thing worse than that Metro trip would have been that Metro trip with a bunch of drunk people.

Posted by: not too smart. ()
Date: November 01, 2010 10:40AM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> I support the idea and spirit of the rally, and
> the average intelligence of the participants was
> probably greater than other large rallies that
> have been held there in the past.

Sorry, NO intelligent person would subject themselves to hanging out with fatties and spending all day on the Metro.

Date: November 01, 2010 10:49AM

For people who wanted to go, but didn't: you made the right choice. Metro was woefully unprepared for the number of people who showed up. Only reason I toughed it out was because I had friends who came from out of town for it. I don't even watch Colbert or Stewart but thought the uniqueness of the event would be interesting. It was actually a fun time once you got there, and it was a perfect fall day, sunny and cool.

Posted by: B. Hopper ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:07AM

Dr. McFisty Wrote:
> this picture was not from the rally. it was from
> my free clinic. so busy that I think my wrists are
> sprained.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. Best one by far.:)

Posted by: BB*X ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:27AM

I was already planning to make trip down to the wharf on Saturday so we decided to check the crowd out since we were going to be there anyway. I took 395 over the 14th St bridge at 1215 and there was no traffic, took the first right and parked right by the Treasury Dept, there were 20 open spots where I parked. Took me about 10 minutes to walk to the mall, there were many more people than expected. I listened to the traffic report on WTOP and laughed at all the people who used Metro. I was told by at least five people that I would never make it if I drove down there due to all the street closures and that even if I got there it would be a nightmare finding parking.

Date: November 01, 2010 11:38AM

BB*X Wrote:
> I was already planning to make trip down to the
> wharf on Saturday so we decided to check the crowd
> out since we were going to be there anyway. I
> took 395 over the 14th St bridge at 1215 and there
> was no traffic, took the first right and parked
> right by the Treasury Dept, there were 20 open
> spots where I parked. Took me about 10 minutes to
> walk to the mall, there were many more people than
> expected. I listened to the traffic report on
> WTOP and laughed at all the people who used Metro.
> I was told by at least five people that I would
> never make it if I drove down there due to all the
> street closures and that even if I got there it
> would be a nightmare finding parking.

Metro is always a mess during these events. I remember the scare tactics DC used regarding parking around Nationals Park. I never have had a problem driving in or out of there or finding parking (even free parking on occasion). The one time I took Metro, it was a fucking nightmare.

Date: November 01, 2010 11:45AM

BB*X Wrote:
> I was already planning to make trip down to the
> wharf on Saturday so we decided to check the crowd
> out since we were going to be there anyway. I
> took 395 over the 14th St bridge at 1215 and there
> was no traffic, took the first right and parked
> right by the Treasury Dept, there were 20 open
> spots where I parked. Took me about 10 minutes to
> walk to the mall, there were many more people than
> expected. I listened to the traffic report on
> WTOP and laughed at all the people who used Metro.
> I was told by at least five people that I would
> never make it if I drove down there due to all the
> street closures and that even if I got there it
> would be a nightmare finding parking.

Someone asked me if they should drive, and I advised against it. Generally speaking, driving to something like this in DC is madness. Lucky breaks like yours don't happen anywhere near often enough to think it might be a good idea.

Posted by: been there ()
Date: November 01, 2010 11:56AM

i've done inaugurations, funerals, fireworks, tree lightings, gay parades, anti-war marches, baseball, hockey, concerts, halloween, cherry blossoms and whatever that thing was saturday and i never took metro.

Date: November 01, 2010 11:59AM

been there Wrote:
> i've done inaugurations, funerals, fireworks, tree
> lightings, gay parades, anti-war marches,
> baseball, hockey, concerts, halloween, cherry
> blossoms and whatever that thing was saturday and
> i never took metro.

The problem is, Metro already operates above capacity during rush hour. The system simply can't handle big events like this. It wasn't designed to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2010 11:59AM by WashingTone-Locian.

Date: November 01, 2010 12:15PM

I take metro every day during rush hour, go to games on busy weekends, and have used it for big events like inaugurations, cherry blossom festival, 4th of July, etc. Saturday was BY FAR the worst I've ever seen it. Normally it works fine for getting around, but yeah, it gets to be a pain in the ass when big events are going on, long lines, etc. But Saturday it was just completely and utterly dysfunctional. When trains are packed with riders from Clarendon who are heading all the way out to Vienna, just so they can turn around and come back in, that's a seriously broken down system. WMATA should have been running trains every 6 minutes instead of every 18 minutes.

Posted by: outed ()
Date: November 01, 2010 12:30PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I take metro every day during rush hour, go to
> games on busy weekends, and have used it for big
> events like inaugurations, cherry blossom
> festival, 4th of July, etc.

By "etc." you mean gay parades.

Date: November 01, 2010 12:46PM

It kind of reminded me of "The island of Misfit Toys" Especially like the respect shown the war memorial at 1:15 in on the right.

Date: November 01, 2010 12:56PM

mcsmack Wrote:
> " Especially like the respect shown the war
> memorial at 1:15 in on the right.
>

FYI, not every wall in DC is a "war memorial".

Posted by: Stan ()
Date: November 01, 2010 12:57PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> mcsmack Wrote:
> -----
> > " Especially like the respect shown the war
> > memorial at 1:15 in on the right.
> >
>
>
> FYI, not every wall in DC is a "war memorial".

But everyone at that rally is a tard. Pictures don't lie.

Date: November 01, 2010 01:02PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I take metro every day during rush hour, go to
> games on busy weekends, and have used it for big
> events like inaugurations, cherry blossom
> festival, 4th of July, etc. Saturday was BY FAR
> the worst I've ever seen it. Normally it works
> fine for getting around, but yeah, it gets to be a
> pain in the ass when big events are going on, long
> lines, etc. But Saturday it was just completely
> and utterly dysfunctional. When trains are packed
> with riders from Clarendon who are heading all
> the way out to Vienna, just so they can turn
> around and come back in, that's a seriously broken
> down system. WMATA should have been running
> trains every 6 minutes instead of every 18
> minutes.

Metro broke a ridership record on Saturday with about 825,000 riders. The previous record was the Desert Storm rally in 1991, with about 786,000 riders.

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/10/31/metro-breaks-19-year-old-saturday-record-for-ridership/comment-page-1/

The website Reddit drummed up a lot of support for this, as well.

Date: November 01, 2010 01:05PM

This one illustrates not only the "long stringy hair, minimalist make-up and wearing wire rim glasses chicks", but a few seconds in the gal in red shows her unshorn pits to the delight of the crowd. Then you have the dorks out scoping for the best looking "dirty hippie chicks" to hit on. Long stringy haired white trash strewn throughout this whole flick.

Date: November 01, 2010 01:08PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> mcsmack Wrote:
> -----
> > " Especially like the respect shown the war
> > memorial at 1:15 in on the right.
> >
>
>
> FYI, not every wall in DC is a "war memorial".

I know that. However I couldn't quite identify where this was at. I thought maybe a Jews/Holocaust Mem. of some sort but I don't remember ever seeing it while there. Maybe Japenese.

Posted by: yupper ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:10PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> Metro broke a ridership record on Saturday with
> about 825,000 riders. The previous record was the
> Desert Storm rally in 1991, with about 786,000
> riders.

As long as it doesn't lead to votes tomorrow, I couldn't care less.

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: November 01, 2010 01:20PM

dumbass liberals

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: November 01, 2010 02:10PM

I saw Stewart on TV from the rally and he had a pretty good rap for someone I usually don't like.

There were a few quirky and imaginative signs I really liked from the rally,I liked the Blues Bros one- "I Hate Illinois Nazis!".

But it looks like a lot of the pathetic old bongheads missed Stewarts message, looked like a lot of the same old extremist shit.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: November 01, 2010 02:21PM

Do today's average conservatives even realize this wasn't a political rally? It was a satirical rally hosted by Comedy Central. Entertainment. Instead of politicians coming out on stage, they had Ozzy. Instead of a christian prayer by Glenn Beck, they had Father Guido Sarducci come out and say goofy stuff.

It wasnt a real political rally. Sorta like on SNL, when they have the president on, but it's not like the real president.

Get it?

Posted by: sit down for your rights ()
Date: November 01, 2010 02:25PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Do today's average conservatives even realize this
> wasn't a political rally? It was a satirical
> rally hosted by Comedy Central. Entertainment.
> Instead of politicians coming out on stage, they
> had Ozzy. Instead of a christian prayer by Glenn
> Beck, they had Father Guido Sarducci come out and
> say goofy stuff.
>
> It wasnt a real political rally. Sorta like on
> SNL, when they have the president on, but it's not
> like the real president.
>
> Get it?

I think most do, but I saw plenty of attendees who really didn't get it. They treated it as their own anti-Teabagger rally. It was actually somewhat funny and stupidly ironic to see people there who clearly had a political agenda.

Posted by: Wahhh ()
Date: November 01, 2010 02:25PM

Yeah, I would not call that a political rally. It was an event related to a couple of tv shows. Anyone that thinks otherwise - the joke is on you. Kind of like saying the Monkees were a real band.

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Do today's average conservatives even realize this
> wasn't a political rally? It was a satirical
> rally hosted by Comedy Central. Entertainment.
> Instead of politicians coming out on stage, they
> had Ozzy. Instead of a christian prayer by Glenn
> Beck, they had Father Guido Sarducci come out and
> say goofy stuff.
>
> It wasnt a real political rally. Sorta like on
> SNL, when they have the president on, but it's not
> like the real president.
>
> Get it?

Date: November 01, 2010 02:36PM

sit down for your rights Wrote:
>
> They treated it as their own anti-Teabagger rally.

Well, when a bunch of stupid rednecks come here to shout and hold up signs of Obama dressed like Hitler, it's only fair that others mock them. The teabaggers are a joke and people are teasing them.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Date: November 01, 2010 02:41PM

Yeah Meeper.

Looked like a bunch of college drama fruits, Takoma Park earthy crunchies and some really soft 20/30-somethings who feel the government owes them everything.

The strength of America, you fucking bet.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: November 01, 2010 02:42PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> sit down for your rights Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > They treated it as their own anti-Teabagger
> rally.
>
> Well, when a bunch of stupid rednecks come here to
> shout and hold up signs of Obama dressed like
> Hitler, it's only fair that others mock them. The
> teabaggers are a joke and people are teasing
> them.
>
> Boo-fucking-hoo.

Boo fucking hoo indeed. I shed no tears for the tea party, however, I shed no tears for the tards that are overly concerned with them and then pretend their opposition is non-political. Oh, and where was your mockery of those carrying Bush as Hitler signs? Idiot. I laugh and mock you both, because when it comes right down to it, you are just as moronic as they are. I saw plenty of numbskulls like you there yesterday who were too stupid to figure out the whole purpose of the event was to mock people like you.

Date: November 01, 2010 02:52PM

Erm, I wasn't there mocking anyone. Like I said up top, some friends from out of town are Colbert fans, so i felt inclined to accompany them and I thought it would be interesting.

So laugh all you want. You're just bitter conservatives who can't handle the fact that the conservative movement, while loud, is really something alot of people see as a complete joke.

Date: November 01, 2010 02:53PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Erm, I wasn't there mocking anyone. Like I said
> up top, some friends from out of town are Colbert
> fans, so i felt inclined to accompany them and I
> thought it would be interesting.
>
> So laugh all you want. You're just bitter
> conservatives who can't handle the fact that the
> conservative movement, while loud, is really
> something alot of people see as a complete joke.

I am nowhere near a conservative and, like I said, I see people like you and the conservatives as jokes.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:03PM

>
> > I am nowhere near a conservative and,

lol, oh okay. An anonymous person gets irate over disparaging remarks about the tea party, and I'm supposed to believe he's Arianna Huffington.

What's next, you're a Skins fan who gets really pissed off when people boo the Cowboys?

Date: November 01, 2010 03:07PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > > I am nowhere near a conservative and,
>
>
> lol, oh okay. An anonymous person gets irate over
> disparaging remarks about the tea party, and I'm
> supposed to believe he's Arianna Huffington.
>
> What's next, you're a Skins fan who gets really
> pissed off when people boo the Cowboys?

I am hardly upset. I simply pointed out how funny the stupid people who thought it was an antiteabagger rally, when it was just an event put on by two TV personalities. If you are looking for upset, you might want to look a bit closer to home. As for football, I am a Niners fan - laugh all you want. I can take it.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:15PM

>
> - laugh all you want. I can take it.

Your posts are more and more of the endless litany of bullshit and phony outrage coming out of today's conservatives.

Posted by: bucks co. ()
Date: November 01, 2010 03:15PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Well, when a bunch of stupid rednecks come here to
> shout and hold up signs of Obama dressed like
> Hitler, it's only fair that others mock them. The
> teabaggers are a joke and people are teasing
> them.

Spotted Saturday at the rally:

101030-sanity-hmed-10a.grid-7x2.jpg

Looks like these people are ripe for a good ole FFXU mocking!

Date: November 01, 2010 03:19PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > - laugh all you want. I can take it.
>
> Your posts are more and more of the endless litany
> of bullshit and phony outrage coming out of
> today's conservatives.

The only phony outrage I see is your outrage over the "dangerous" and "extremist" teabaggers. Ewwww, they are SOOOOOOO scary. Watch out. They have signs. Ohs noes.

Posted by: CHriSM ()
Date: November 01, 2010 03:20PM

Unlike most of you all, I actually had a good experience with the Metro on Saturday...... Got to EFC at like 10:30, snuck into the terminal (they made enough money that day, for some generally lousy service), packed myself onto the first train, and partied it up all the way to L'Enfant. Made the best out of a bad situation, met some cool people... pretty epic day.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:26PM

>
> The only phony outrage I see is your outrage over
> the "dangerous" and "extremist" teabaggers.

You jump to the defense of teabaggers, take offense to the Bush/Hitler signs, and then pawn yourself off as "not a conservative".

I doesn't get much phonier than that.

If you're not a conservative, why don't you post who you are going to vote for tomorrow, and why others should vote for them? Let us hear your endorsements.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:28PM

bucks co. Wrote:
> Spotted Saturday at the rally:
>
> Looks like these people are ripe for a good ole
> FFXU mocking!

Yeah, the Nazi thing is pretty hypocritical. I'm sure someone would say "lol its a parady," but comparing anything they're against to Nazis instantly invalidates their point. I don't care if it was a "joke," it's not funny on any level, and you're nothing but the thing you hate with a different sign.

I'm sure the bulk of people took it as the joke it was (based on some of the pics Meeper posted), but I'm also sure there were a lot of people who took it as an opportunity to push their real actual political agenda.

Date: November 01, 2010 03:40PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> Yeah, the Nazi thing is pretty hypocritical.

I don't think it's hypocritical.

If they showed up at a Sarah Palin speech carrying pictures of her in Nazi gear, then yeah, it's over the line and hypocritical. If they stood in front of Christine O'Donnell's headquarters accusing her of being a Nazi, yes, that's hypocritical.

But, they are at a freakin Steven Colbert rally. The guy has built a career based on satire. It's entirely the appropriate time and place to make a goofy, sarcastic remarks about people. It's sort of hilarious that conservatives are all bent out of shape. Would they get this outraged if The Onion ran a ridiculously negative story mocking Glenn Beck? Of course not, it's the approriate venue for that kind of humor.

Date: November 01, 2010 04:03PM

You know how I feel about all those people you mentioned, but all I'm saying is a Nazi comparison is lame across the boards. If they absolutely had to make a funny sign involving a Nazi punchline, they could have used like, Paris Hilton or Tiger Woods or something, I don't know. They used nothing but political-type people for their sign, so they were clearly trying to convey a political message, as opposed to the guy with the hilarious "What's up ladies, what's up sluts" sign.

I felt the same way when people compared Bush to Hitler. It's the lowest blow you can make in any dialogue. Subject = Nazi, Nazi = Bad, and Supporting Subject = Supporting Nazis.

Posted by: bob m ()
Date: November 01, 2010 04:07PM

CHriSM Wrote:
> I actually had a good
> experience with the Metro
partied it up all the way to
> L'Enfant.

can you smoke weed on the metro??

Date: November 01, 2010 04:49PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
>
> They used nothing but political-type people for their sign, so they were clearly trying to convey a political message,

I viewed it as their opportunity to make fun of the actual people who go to real political rallies with Nazi symbolism, not as a political message to convince people that Sarah Palin (or whoever) was actually a real Nazi.

The only real political message I saw during the event was a group of people with big signs handing out pamphlets claiming that Japan is an international source of child abductions. It was no joke, they were a real group pushing their agenda. I thought it was kind of a buzzkill that they were there to be serious.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 01, 2010 05:37PM

i really liked the

I
CAN
SPELL

sign that someone had.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Dirty Litter Box ()
Date: November 01, 2010 05:49PM

Nobody gives a shit if it was a buzzkill to you 'The Meeper' .

Go fuck yourself with a broken broomstick you FILTHY FAGGOT !

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: November 01, 2010 07:15PM

LOL, I love that Civil War sign. Great mockery of the "troofers" btw.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: flames ()
Date: November 01, 2010 07:16PM

this thread is on FIRE!

the real question is who had more people show up?

fox? or comedy central?

Date: November 01, 2010 07:31PM

Dirty Litter Box Wrote:
> Nobody gives a shit if it was a buzzkill to you
> 'The Meeper' .
>
> Go fuck yourself with a broken broomstick you
> FILTHY FAGGOT !

You're one of those rare parents whose children would likely benefit from child abduction. In fact, it would probably be doing the next three generations a favor.

Date: November 01, 2010 07:38PM

It was a liberal love-fest.

Jon Stewart can pretend all he wants that the point of his big rally Saturday was just for chuckles, or just to encourage a more reasonable, substantive and civil tone in American politics. The reality is that his own audience on the Mall had an additional agenda, and it was decidedly partisan and decidedly liberal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/30/AR2010103004195.html

Plus all the hype about which rally was bigger, Beck's or the lefty loopalooza.

No matter. The Republicans get the House and pick up seats in the Senate.

Gridlock and Obama can't get shit done until he is booted out in 2012.

Change the Dope.

Posted by: Meeper = Queer ()
Date: November 01, 2010 08:16PM

that sounds wonderful 'The Meeper', because YOU sound like one of
those NON-rare QUEERS that would bennefit from a Gerbil up your ass.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: November 01, 2010 08:56PM

Jon Steward and Colbert are both known to be huge lberals and they both oppose the Tea Party. This rally was in direct response to Glenn Beck's rally. Trying to pretend "it's just about comedy" is most disingenuous.

Not to say you can't go and have a good time, if that's your thing. But let's be real about this.

As a wacko libertarian, I really can't identify with the TP or conservatives, but I certainly don't identify with liberals, either. I try to avoid politics at social functions. I also avoid using terms like "tea bagger" and "libtard", although sometimes I use them when I just want to get a rise out of somebody.

Date: November 01, 2010 08:56PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
>
> It was a liberal love-fest.

LOL, I didn't get that impression at all. It was more like a comic "Woodstock for internet-savvy wise asses" moment.

Posted by: High flyin' ()
Date: November 01, 2010 09:01PM

> ...the real question is who had more people show up?
>
> fox? or comedy central?

I've read at least one report - can't find it, sorry - that the Insanity rally was about twice as large as the Fox rally; I think I remember the words being along the line of "Fox's estimate of their rally was considerably inflated according to some balloon-flying estimators and the Insanity rally's pre-rally estimate (60,000) was considerably deflated compared to reality, again according to the same balloon flyers".

Posted by: Ask And Receive ()
Date: November 01, 2010 09:06PM

How about that - the numbers are out:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?p=1339037

and a comment from elsewhere:

"...The Rally to Restore Sanity has come to a close, and crowd estimates
are beginning to trickle in. It is clear that a huge number of people attended the
event (see photos from the rally here), but the calculations vary among sources.
According to CBS News, 215,000 people showed up for the rally on Saturday. By
comparison, CBS estimated that 87,000 -- just 40% of the Sanity Rally estimation --
attended Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally in August..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/DeeFromTheD/rally-to-restore-sanity-attendance_n_776547_65708109.html

So there ya have it. The Crazies were beat by The Insane.

Life is good.

Date: November 01, 2010 09:40PM

Here's a pic taken from atop the Washington Monument.

http://i.imgur.com/ux28n.jpg

But I don't think it's fair to compare it to Beck's rally. The DC area has alot of liberal voters who could easily attend last weekend's rally. I don't know anyone around here who watches (and believes) Beck on a daily basis. Those kind of people are a small minority here. Beck/FoxNews appeals to mostly townies and heartland-conservatives. It's harder for those kind of people to get into a city like DC. Beck's own website was scaring them away with warnings about metro, foreigners, and immigrants driving cabs, etc. Shit, just read the comments on this forum regarding Metro crime, and you can understand why teabaggers from east-bumfuck wouldn't come here. Stewart's rally was overly crowded because it attracted people who already live here.

Date: November 01, 2010 09:45PM

Actually here we have it :

www.GetALifeYouLibtardLoser.com

Date: November 02, 2010 06:53AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
>
> But I don't think it's fair to compare it to
> Beck's rally.

Agreed. The liberals are in the majority in this area, and while they'll flock to an anti-Tea Party gathering, they generally don't give a sit about the wars or the troops, and are loathe to show up at a benefit that aids the Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

It's all about free healthcare, their next handout, and big government giving them the benefits they 'deserve'.

Date: November 02, 2010 07:53AM

Wow, I just saw that Cat Stevens was there. I mean Yussef ISlam.

Wasn't he the same guy that got behind Ayatollah Khomeinis death order on Salmon Rushdie over "The Satanic Verses" years ago??

Rhetorical question, of course he was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_comments_about_Salman_Rushdie

Date: November 02, 2010 09:20AM

WingNut Wrote:
> Wow, I just saw that Cat Stevens was there. I mean
> Yussef ISlam.
>
> Wasn't he the same guy that got behind Ayatollah
> Khomeinis death order on Salmon Rushdie over "The
> Satanic Verses" years ago??
>
> Rhetorical question, of course he was.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_commen
> ts_about_Salman_Rushdie

What he said wasn't an endorsement of the fatwa. He was asked if the fatwa was legitimate under Islamic law and he said, "Yes." He didn't endorse the killing of Rushdie.

Date: November 02, 2010 09:38AM

OMG OZZY WAS THERE TOO!! OZZY WORSHIPS THE DEVIL AND BIT THE HEAD OFF A BAT!! HE'S A FOREIGNER FROM EUROPE TOO!! WHY CAN'T THEY JUST HAVE TOBY KEITH AND CHARLIE DANIELS ON STAGE??

WingNut Wrote:
> Wow, I just saw that Cat Stevens was there. I mean
> Yussef ISlam.
>
> Wasn't he the same guy that got behind Ayatollah
> Khomeinis death order on Salmon Rushdie over "The
> Satanic Verses" years ago??
>
> Rhetorical question, of course he was.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens%27_commen
> ts_about_Salman_Rushdie

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.