HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Capital One Bank (formerly Chevy Chase Bank)
Posted by: bryanjay ()
Date: September 15, 2010 08:06PM

I liked Chevy Chase bank very much. They were a local bank that served my families needs just fine. I've made some observations, and so far do not like Capital One bank.

- Chevy Chase Bank allowed deposits to be made at the ATM up until 9 PM and they would post on that business day. Now, the cutoff time is 2 PM.

- With Chevy Chase Bank, payroll direct deposits always posted the night before settlement. (IE Payday is on Friday, the money is posted to your account as of Thursday night and covers any transactions that post to your account on Thursday) Now with Capital One, you do not get access to your funds until the morning of settlement.

- Transactions made with your debit card do not display the merchant when made with Capital One. (IE I went to Giant for groceries, and when balancing the checking transactions in the evening it shows a debit was made but does not show the name of the merchant.

Change is very frustrating. I suppose if you're one that has a lot of disposable income and money is no issue as you carry it from payday to payday, then these changes are a nonissue. However, for people like myself that live paycheck to paycheck, this will make for a pain in the butt!

Thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Capital One Bank (formerly Chevy Chase Bank)
Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 15, 2010 08:13PM

Try going into a major bank (any bank) and try to break a 100 or 50 and not have an account at that bank. Unless you have an account, they won't do it. I've been cockblocked by Wachovia and my co-worker was shot down by Riggs (how long have they been gone?)

Fuck banks. Just like lawyers - a necessary evil.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: September 15, 2010 08:26PM

I always have heard people complain about their banks screwing them and I never had a single problem with Chevy Chase Bank. I'm a little leery about how Capital One will be, but I'll reserve judgment for now.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: September 15, 2010 08:27PM

Banks that begin with a 'C' are so GAY.

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: September 15, 2010 10:07PM

bryanjay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

The online banking sucks. It has the same look as a credit card account (go figure), only listing transactions without a running balance. It also looks like I can no longer transfer from checking to pay the mortgage.

It does look like I can see all check copies online, which I can't do with my PNC account.

I think it's time for a new bank.

It won't be PNC. The grocery store branch employees are the rudest people I've encountered, always trying to force ATM deposits as they sit on their butt and listen to their ipod. If I wanted to use the ATM I'd have gone to ATM

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: whiterussian ()
Date: September 15, 2010 10:14PM

I went through this when Continental Federal was sold to Crestar, and then to SunTrust, where it is now. It was pretty seamless, although I don't like the phone calls with unsolicited advice on what to do with my accounts

Posted by: jessmd ()
Date: September 15, 2010 10:23PM

I agree. It's a problem that Capital One doesn't show the running total for each transaction. If they don't fix this soon I'm banking elsewhere

Date: September 15, 2010 10:25PM

The absolute worst merger in the history of banking was the hostile takeover of FIB by Wells Fargo. The system integration was a disaster, accounts were lost and customer service horrendous.

http://www.allbusiness.com/finance/573788-1.html

The failure ultimately led to the takeover of Wells Fargo by Norwest Bank, although they retained the WFB name while changing the culture.

I believe that is the only hostile takeover in banking.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: September 16, 2010 08:24AM

Posted by: craven moorehead ()
Date: September 17, 2010 11:46AM

I have been a CCB customer fo a longtime. CCB was only good for checking. I always got better rates on CDs and savings from ING direct. Cap1 screwed me on a visa card deal a couple of years ago, they raised my interest rate from 0% to 21% for being one day late on my payment. Of course only a fool pays credit card interest but I stopped using that card just on basic principle.
I think I may get used to the crappy online setup so Ill give them a chance. Only reason to even try to stay with cap1 is the huge ATM network.

Posted by: Don in VA ()
Date: September 18, 2010 02:15PM

I have had with Capital One so-called Bank. When they took over Ch Ch bank for good last weekend the ATMs and the branches were closed. They never mention you can't get your cash out over the weekend; only a few were open (finally found one and took out the max just to make sure they were not pulling bs later). Ever since it has been one problem after another. They are closing my closest branch (Lyon village in Arlington). The website sucks and they don't care about fixing it. They say they have new fees and they are available at the bank -- wow that is really helpful.. I am definitely moving to another bank -- any suggestions preferably for one local/regional that doesn't RIP YOU OFF.
Don in VA

Posted by: Craven Moorehead ()
Date: September 20, 2010 02:48PM

Don in VA Wrote:
> I have had with Capital One so-called Bank. When
> they took over Ch Ch bank for good last weekend
> the ATMs and the branches were closed. They never
> mention you can't get your cash out over the
> weekend; only a few were open (finally found one
> and took out the max just to make sure they were
> not pulling bs later). Ever since it has been one
> problem after another. They are closing my
> closest branch (Lyon village in Arlington). The
> website sucks and they don't care about fixing it.
> They say they have new fees and they are
> available at the bank -- wow that is really
> helpful.. I am definitely moving to another bank
> -- any suggestions preferably for one
> local/regional that doesn't RIP YOU OFF.
> Don in VA

You are right Don, my wife and I are having issues with the CAP1 bank. My paycheck was credited today (monday) instead of Friday, I have had my pay from the state of virginia direct deposited for 15+ years and this has never happened before. My wife has a seperate account at PNC and she likes it so I guess Ill go there and open an account and then get my DD changed, What a pain in the butt!

Date: September 20, 2010 02:52PM

FWIW I had two direct deposits with ChCh and both came on the expected days and not delayed a day. A coworker with Suntrust always has his delayed a day longer than mine and our employer uses Suntrust, always makes me laugh.

But if you aren't getting the service you expect or deserve by all means walk... it is the only way for-profit ventures can be compelled to change.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: September 20, 2010 03:06PM

justsayin Wrote:

> But if you aren't getting the service you expect
> or deserve by all means walk... it is the only way
> for-profit ventures can be compelled to change.

And it's a good feeling. I remember when I took my money and left First Union. It felt good to say "close it right now, give me my money and I'm out of here." Oh, they'll try to kiss your ass, but it's too little too late.

Posted by: N ()
Date: September 20, 2010 08:06PM

Here is my experience thus far with the Capital One switch...

Capital One officially took over Chevy Chase Bank this past weekend (9-11-10). I logged on to the new online system just to check things out. I'm glad I did! I found that the due date on my revolving line of credit had been changed to TODAY (9-14-10)! The due date has always been the 26th of every month. I received NO notification that my due date was changing. This would make the second payment due within a span of 20 days. I called customer service and they had me on hold for 30 minutes before transferring me to the wrong department where I waited on hold for another 25 minutes. No one could explain why my due date had been changed and NO ONE understood my question. I simply wanted to know why my due date was changed and I wanted it changed back! I can't believe the ridiculousness of this situation. I was notified that my call would be monitored and recorded for training purposes. I would be interested to see how that call was used for training. I'm writing this complaint as I sit on hold again. I've been messing with this situation since 5:15 pm. It is now 6:31 PM. Did I mention the annoying song they have as hold music!

Attempt 2

After my second call (yes I was placed on hold again) I was told that since the switch occurred, Capital One couldn't access the history from Chevy Chase bank until the 16th. I was told I could make the payment (which I am not able to do yet) or not make the payment and be charge a late fee. I also explained that I didn't want this going on my credit. The customer service agent told me that the revolving line of credit didn't impact "my real credit" the worst that would happen is that they would charge me a late fee. I explained that if I didn't manually pay the line of credit bill each month--the bank would automatically deduct it from my account which would occur at midnight tonight. This would leave me a negative balance in my checking account. The customer service agent told me that if they found out it was their fault, I could get my money back on Thursday, September 16! I am now speaking with a supervisor. She is trying to get the loan department on the line--she said--hopefully they aren't closed! I'm so frustrated right now! What a horrible 2 hour excursion--I have also missed one of my college classes while dealing with this mess...
After the drama last night of being on hold and switched around for 2 hours, I was assured that everything would be handled when I called back in the morning. This morning during my planning period, I called and there were NO notes made on the account from last night's disaster. Sure enough the bank sucked out the money for the payment and left my account overdrawn. The next due date for my account is...OCTOBER 14!!!! I am currently on the phone and they are supposedly taking care of it! They will reverse the debit but it will take up to 48 hours to get the money back. In the mean time--no money for me!
Advice for former chevy chase customers--keep close tabs on your account!

Attempt 3

Finally, Today, September 20, I am sent a letter stating that my payment is overdue. When I called to get the due date switched back (yes again) I was told that in order to do that, my account would have to be current. I argued that it is current since this is not an issue I created. I was told in order to go forward, I had to make the payment. I refused and hung up.
I can't believe I'm the only one in this boat?????

Posted by: SAMSTEIN ()
Date: September 21, 2010 12:03AM

capital one is a huge mess.. they proudly say "same banking" no, it's not, i'm being screwed to the hilt!

i had preferred 50 with chevy chase.. now i have VIP checking.. which now they charge if you don't have an average balance of the gods plus.... there's secret little extra charges that don't show up in the nick of time thus before you know it you're overdrawn! those extra couple dollars they steal from you make a huge difference, then they want another $40 out of you?

SCREW CAP-IT-ALL one!

i'm going to my usual branch tomorrow and bitch a storm! i want to know what the hell is going on and what's going to cost me and arm and a leg which prior didn't cost me jack or shit!

and the reps are morons plus email contact is non-existant... yeh, same banking.. different name.. my ASS!

it's SHIT BANKING.... chevy chase is gone, they raped it up the rectum and left it bleeding in bed.

:(

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: September 21, 2010 04:35AM

Pics?

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 21, 2010 08:46AM

Wachovia was never really a good bank, but 6 months after Wells Fargo took it over, it is unuseable and I had to leave after 12 years. I was going to go to Chevy Chase, but when I heard Capitol One took over, that ended that. Meanwhile, I am still contemplating which bank to use now.

It sucks having to change banks, especially business accounts, and the banks know that. I think more people would leave the big banks if it weren't such a pain in the ass.

Posted by: Dane Bramage(1) ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:20PM

Numbers Wrote:
>
> It sucks having to change banks, especially
> business accounts, and the banks know that. I
> think more people would leave the big banks if it
> weren't such a pain in the ass.

Absolutely. When I was with Wells we tracked that (I imagine they still do), statistically the more accounts the less chance of switching. The stated goal was seven accounts per household over time - checking, savings, IRA, home equity, credit card, kids savings, investment, and so on.

I had one of the platinum 'relationships' with Ch Ch, but moved the market rate to ING a while back and will now move the checking. Just requested the toughest auto-draft switch, and as soon as it's effective the rest is easy.

Posted by: Teh King ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:28PM

I've been in banking for ten years on the technology side, specifically internet banking and realtime data presentation. From what your describing, C1B either did a major systems conversion or migrated all CC accounts to a new system of record. And did a shitty job doing so.

> - Chevy Chase Bank allowed deposits to be made at
> the ATM up until 9 PM and they would post on that
> business day. Now, the cutoff time is 2 PM.

This is pretty much normal. You were getting something special with a 9pm cutoff. Cutoff times are in place to allow deposit operations to process the deposits, which includes scanning them for transmission to the FED and preparing a batch for posting against the ledger. A later than 2pm cutoff will often be barely enough time to ensure that all nightly posting operations can be completed by the following business day.

> - With Chevy Chase Bank, payroll direct deposits
> always posted the night before settlement. (IE
> Payday is on Friday, the money is posted to your
> account as of Thursday night and covers any
> transactions that post to your account on
> Thursday) Now with Capital One, you do not get
> access to your funds until the morning of
> settlement.

This is fucked up. The FED ACH file should come in early enough in the day to in-clear the direct deposit transfers. All payroll ACH transfers should be flagged as payroll so that they are posted with no hold time, unlike a standard ACH transfer. Call up Cap One and BITCH!

> - Transactions made with your debit card do not
> display the merchant when made with Capital One.
> (IE I went to Giant for groceries, and when
> balancing the checking transactions in the evening
> it shows a debit was made but does not show the
> name of the merchant.

This is bullshit and laziness on behalf of whomever did the banking system set-up. Debit card transactions are batch posted via a file provided by Visa DPS. The debit inclearing file always has merchant name, location and merchant category code. (BTW, you'd be amazed at home much your bank knows about where and how your money is spent based on MCCs.)

> Change is very frustrating. I suppose if you're
> one that has a lot of disposable income and money
> is no issue as you carry it from payday to payday,
> then these changes are a nonissue. However, for
> people like myself that live paycheck to paycheck,
> this will make for a pain in the butt!
>
> Thoughts? Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: craven moorehead ()
Date: September 21, 2010 08:26PM

SAMSTEIN Wrote:
> capital one is a huge mess.. they proudly say
> "same banking" no, it's not, i'm being screwed
> to the hilt!
>
> i had preferred 50 with chevy chase.. now i have
> VIP checking.. which now they charge if you don't
> have an average balance of the gods plus....
> there's secret little extra charges that don't
> show up in the nick of time thus before you know
> it you're overdrawn! those extra couple dollars
> they steal from you make a huge difference, then
> they want another $40 out of you?
>
> SCREW CAP-IT-ALL one!
>
> i'm going to my usual branch tomorrow and bitch a
> storm! i want to know what the hell is going on
> and what's going to cost me and arm and a leg
> which prior didn't cost me jack or shit!
>
> and the reps are morons plus email contact is
> non-existant... yeh, same banking.. different
> name.. my ASS!
>
> it's SHIT BANKING.... chevy chase is gone, they
> raped it up the rectum and left it bleeding in
> bed.
>
> :(

Its just big business moving in and taking over.
You can complain all you want
you will never get anyone at Capital one to care.

Posted by: camiwa ()
Date: September 22, 2010 02:12AM

Amen -

I actually emailed them about the running balance, apparently, they're "working on including it." RIGHT, after they've scammed all the fees they can.

I've been a good girl for the past two years, haven't bounced checks in a while. But I definitely used the CCB running balance feature, and I've learned to transfer before trouble comes, if necessary.

I know C1 has the available balance, but quite frankly... I don't trust them.

I had two of their shady high-interest cards back in the day. I closed them both because they were scamming me for late fees (How can it be late? It is an AUTOMATIC PAYMENT set for a DAY BEFORE IT'S DUE!!!!!)

Based on my past experiences with them, I really feel that this is a way to scam fees out of people. Inevitably, a mistake will be made, and we have NO EVIDENCE.

They have until December to get the running balance up, or I'm out with the new year...

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: September 22, 2010 08:51AM

Ya know, I was actually thinking about switching to C1 because their online jumbo savings account was yielding one of the top rates in the country.

You've convinced me otherwise.

Tnx FFXU!

Date: September 22, 2010 09:19PM

camiwa Wrote:
> Amen -
>
> I actually emailed them about the running balance,
> apparently, they're "working on including it."
> RIGHT, after they've scammed all the fees they
> can.
>

Most core banking system don't actually have a running balance in the system. This is generated as part of the monthly statement run and is archived. Generating a running balance for online banking is a bit of a big deal to make it come out right. The math is easy but the order in which items are debited from the ledger balance must occur in the same order that they they will appear on the statement otherwise the customer will have a shit fit if they compare the online transaction running balance and what is on the monthly statement.

Available balance is the correct balance to be using to decide if you have enough money in your account as it accounts for all outstanding debit charges that have been made against the account. It also includes any holds on any checks or ach deposits that have not cleared. Where most people get screwed relying on available balance is by not taking into account any potential direct debits such as bill payments. Some banks have a check register feature to record and reconcile transactions but most people do not use them any more than they keep their paper check register up to date.

Who here still uses a paper check register or balances their checkbook?

Date: September 22, 2010 09:21PM

craven moorehead Wrote:
> Its just big business moving in and taking over.
> You can complain all you want
> you will never get anyone at Capital one to care.

Call Heather Carroll Cox, SVP of Customer Operations.

Posted by: Grey Ghost ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:01AM

Not happy, I have been a CCB customer for over 35 years, this takeover/conversion has turned into a goatfuck.

The Capital One phone reps suck. At least the manager at the local branch is old CCB. If it wasn't for his personal attention, I would have moved my money.

Since this conversion took place, I have wasted three hours trying to fix the clusterfuck Capital One has made of CCB.

Date: September 23, 2010 08:15AM

Teh King Wrote:
> Available balance is the correct balance to be
> using to decide if you have enough money in your
> account as it accounts for all outstanding debit
> charges that have been made against the account.
>
> Who here still uses a paper check register or
> balances their checkbook?

I do, which is why the whole issue of seeing a running balance online is new to me... I never paid attention to it because my checkbook will always have the "real" balance which takes into account all the transactions that may not have cleared the bank. I rarely write checks but everything gets written in the register. I have always assumed the running balance can be inaccurate. I look forward to the day when I can ditch the check register, but relying on the online running balance for a checking account where you have things going in and out all the time is risky in my view. But most people probably don't keep up with it, overdraw occasionally, pay fees, and then complain about the fees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 08:16AM by justsayin.

Date: September 23, 2010 08:15PM

Teh King Wrote:
>
> Who here still uses a paper check register or
> balances their checkbook?

I do, although only with this, my main household account. It helps me track business expenses and have a second record beyond my electronic files and bank statements.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:26PM

Numbers Wrote:
> Wachovia was never really a good bank, but 6
> months after Wells Fargo took it over, it is
> unuseable and I had to leave after 12 years. I was
> going to go to Chevy Chase, but when I heard
> Capitol One took over, that ended that. Meanwhile,
> I am still contemplating which bank to use now.
>
> It sucks having to change banks, especially
> business accounts, and the banks know that. I
> think more people would leave the big banks if it
> weren't such a pain in the ass.

That's interesting I haven't had any problems so far with my wachovia free checking and as far as I know they haven't yet changed the VA branches to WF though they will.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: September 23, 2010 08:44PM

`

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 11:12AM by WingNut.

Date: September 24, 2010 08:03AM

I don't think so, but ING Orange will run that sometimes. I have NOT done it with Orange because, at least in the past, overdraft protection wasn't optional and they ran a hard credit check on you. $25 or $50 wasn't worth having that impact FICO scoring so I haven't done it. With the new banking rules it may be possible ING was forced to make that an optional service.

A Wachovia branch opened a little while ago near where I work, and gave $50 for opening an account and another $25 when you used their check card like five times in one month. No overdraft protection FICO-sucking requirement either, that was a good deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 08:03AM by justsayin.

Posted by: maryland customer ()
Date: September 30, 2010 10:05PM

Here's my beef with Capital One now that they've taken over Chevy Chase. I had a checking account with Chevy Chase. Very low interest bearing account. It had a $1000 minimum balance or else a fee would kick in. I only keep about $2000 to $3000 in that account to pay bills--I keep my excess cash in other accounts.

So when the conversion takes place, my checking account gets converted to something called "Incredible Interest Checking." If you look on Capital One's website, they do not list any kind of checking account by that name. They have three types, all of which only have a $1500 minimum balance before a fee kicks in.

So my balance in September goes down to $2350 or something, and they ding me with a $15 maintenance fee!

Date: October 01, 2010 10:23AM

I am getting screwed on a maintenance fee too. It has been reversed because I was told it was an error, but they have not given me any promised communications explaining why it happened and whether or not it will again happen next month.

As I suggested earlier as action when you are being wronged by this conversion, I am in the process of moving all of my old CC accounts and other accounts I previously had with CapOne to another bank. I just don't want to spend the time to be on the phone with them fighting over fees every month I don't owe, so I'm firing them. I'll miss my branch as I have gotten to know a couple of the employees there over the years, but I'm not accepting fees.

----------------------------------------

"She looks pretty good for 12, admit it." - WingNut, 04/24/2012

"I'm racist too. So what?" - Ellipsis 9/16/2011

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: October 01, 2010 10:26AM

Capital One credit cards suck big time. Every other credit card I have owned you make a payment and the available credit changes either instantly, or one business day later. With Capital One, there is a six or seven day wait while they process the payment.

Posted by: Fearsome Cubed Warior ()
Date: October 02, 2010 12:10AM

So, Capital One bought Chevy Chase. Yesterday I used my chevy chase debit card when I payed in seven eleven. Am I supposed to receive a capital one debit card instead of that one?

Date: October 02, 2010 06:44PM

Eventually yes, a MasterCard equivalent.

Posted by: Fearsome Cubed Warior ()
Date: October 02, 2010 07:20PM

ye, but when will I get it?

Date: October 02, 2010 10:59PM

Read all the materials they sent ahead of the transition. The schedule of when it is supposed to arrive was given as an estimation in there. I don't personally care as I'm dumping them and moving elsewhere, but I thought it was three weeks or a month after the transition.

"If you only knew who I was, and what I was working to do you would...have the decency to tell me I hated my nation and the way of life. I may not agree with...the government...I hate the "government"......" - Firrat 9/1/10

"there seems to be a queer...why? To try and further demean a defeated... dumb Tea party... I think we need more... far left folks on a regular basis - Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson...Al Sharpton" - Registered Voter, 8/19/2011

"If your computer is running slow, or you have any other problems, email me at with the problem and i am willing to fix it, for a price of course" - Taylor, spamming FFU on 04/12/2006. "N****rs as slaves again? I think so..." - Taylor, 09/20/2009

Posted by: MADASH%LL ()
Date: October 16, 2010 09:25PM

ALL I can say about the Capitol One Bank Take over is "RUN LIKE MAD" away from this bank. You will lose money dealing with this crooked bank.
They change account numbers, they take your money by holding your deposits longer than normal.

This is faulty practices, that they claim to be working on, but I really doubt it.

I was just in one of their branches and all the number of angry customers coming through the doors during my visit was no big surprise. Especially giving all the surprises they unleashed on us, their customers.

Well I won't be one for much longer.

Posted by: Capital one teller ()
Date: October 16, 2010 10:39PM

MADASH%LL Wrote:
> ALL I can say about the Capitol One Bank Take over
> is "RUN LIKE MAD" away from this bank. You will
> lose money dealing with this crooked bank.
> They change account numbers, they take your money
> by holding your deposits longer than normal.
>
> This is faulty practices, that they claim to be
> working on, but I really doubt it.
>
> I was just in one of their branches and all the
> number of angry customers coming through the doors
> during my visit was no big surprise. Especially
> giving all the surprises they unleashed on us,
> their customers.
>
> Well I won't be one for much longer.

Why dont you quit crying and just close your accounts. Cap1 predicted that we would lose about 31% of the CC customers in the first quarter after the takeover. We are sick of bitches such as yourself crying about the changes. Please go away we DO NOT CARE.

Date: October 21, 2010 11:27AM

Wow, reading this thread is like a run-down of everything that I've experienced in this transition.

Chevy Chase was (and I stress WAS) an excellent local bank who clearly put their cusomters first.

Capitol One, well, let's be polite and just say they don't. If we're going to be honest, they are clearly not in the business of caring about their customers, and it shows.

I have accounts in excess of $100,000 with CC and now C1. I'm moving to a credit union, because they're about the only ones left who actually give a rip about their customers and let the customers share in the benefit of their operation with excellent banking plans, good rates, good credit and loan products....

CapOne has been an absolute disaster from the get-go. Their 21-page booklet that arrived in August or September was the biggest load of ambiguous, tell-the-customer-nothing BS I've ever seen in my life. I started reading it looking for two bits of info--are they going to maintain the CC platinum benefits for ATM usage and minimum balances, and are they going to change any of the fee schedules? NOTHING in that 21-page booklet addressed it. I read it cover-to-cover and it was ABSOLUTELY USELESS!!! There was NOTHING definitively itemized in that entire booklet.

INSULTING.

I'm not even going to get into the worthlessness of the new customer service. It was so bad I don't know where to start.

Capitol One--I was willing to give you a shot. I'm done with any large bank. Small town banks and credit unions are the only place I'll bank anymore.

CapOne fucked up a great bank in ChevyChase, and I'm bummed about it.

The last poster who claims to be a teller and saying customers are "bitches" if you are for real--why am I not surprised? And stating you don't care? You obviously were not a Chevy Chase teller. They wouldn't have acted like that. You're probably not even really a teller.

Posted by: Kristy ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:06PM

I can't stand CapOne! I scheduled a $5000 payment to a credit card a week before the due date and recieved a call a day after the due date from credit card company saying they didn't recieve it. CapOne showed is as processed and paid on my online bill payment, so i did an inquiry. CapOne's response back was "the check was returned from our payment service company for an incorrect or incomplete account number. We contacted the payee to get the correct information but were unsuccessful. We destroyed the check. Hope this wasn't an incovenience. Please check and update your payee information". CapONe NEVER called or contaced me about the problem, never re-deposited the $5000 into my account. They also did not give me a solution like "please contact us with the correct information and we will reissue the check". We are going to a new bank today to open an account. Never had these problems with Chevy Chase.

Date: October 28, 2010 01:23PM

I closed a couple of my accounts with them yesterday, now just letting the checking account sit to run out any outstanding transactions and they'll be fully fired next month.

Posted by: Buh Bye ()
Date: October 28, 2010 01:57PM

> I closed a couple of my accounts with them ...

Yup, we're in the process of doing the same thing - I've "notified" all the places that do auto-deductions from our checking account to switch over to a credit union account instead, now simply waiting for all those paid bills to show up there before saying buh-bye to Chevy Chase after more than 20 years with them.

Posted by: Capital one teller ()
Date: October 28, 2010 08:38PM

Buh Bye Wrote:
> > I closed a couple of my accounts with them ...
>
> Yup, we're in the process of doing the same thing
> - I've "notified" all the places that do
> auto-deductions from our checking account to
> switch over to a credit union account instead, now
> simply waiting for all those paid bills to show up
> there before saying buh-bye to Chevy Chase after
> more than 20 years with them.

It is so funny that you little people think that it matters to anyone that you are pulling your cash out of cap1. This takeover was designed to weed out the non profitable clients. So far everything is going as planned.

Date: October 28, 2010 08:56PM

Capital one teller Wrote:
> This takeover was designed to
> weed out the non profitable clients.

The takeover was designed for the Saul family to take the money and run.

But you're right, Cap One isn't making any money off of me since I don't pay fees and my checking balance isn't terribly high. Why leave money there when I can have it in investments and higher rate accounts elsewhere?

The bank and new computer system (and you) still suck.

Posted by: Javy ()
Date: November 15, 2010 02:06AM

Capital One is a bitch ass fucked up bank. When they took over Chevy Chase, they messed all my online banking information and when I call them up they said I no longer exist as a customer... If I can't sue them for the thousands I have I will go in that bank with a Ak 47 and kill every mothafucker... I hate Capital One.

Posted by: davedavedave ()
Date: November 15, 2010 05:23AM

Javy Wrote:
> Capital One is a bitch ass fucked up bank. When
> they took over Chevy Chase, they messed all my
> online banking information and when I call them up
> they said I no longer exist as a customer... If
> I can't sue them for the thousands I have I will
> go in that bank with a Ak 47 and kill every
> mothafucker... I hate Capital One.

Come on Javy, thats not gonna solve anything. Its not a good idea to make threats like that on the internet. I hope you can resolve you banking problems peacefully. Let us know how you make out okay?

Date: November 15, 2010 06:06AM

Javy Wrote:
> If
> I can't sue them for the thousands

Oh, I suppose you CAN sue them for thousands...probably won't win a dime and it will cost you a bunch in fees, but of course you can sue.

Posted by: chill dude ()
Date: November 16, 2010 08:36PM

Javy Wrote:
> Capital One is a bitch ass fucked up bank. When
> they took over Chevy Chase, they messed all my
> online banking information and when I call them up
> they said I no longer exist as a customer... If
> I can't sue them for the thousands I have I will
> go in that bank with a Ak 47 and kill every
> mothafucker... I hate Capital One.

Dude . Please DONT hurt anyone. Just change banks and be cool.

Posted by: hoocoodanode ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:33PM

WingNut Wrote:
> Is Capital One giving any promotions or incentives
> to open an account?
>
> I'll put $500 in an account all day if they give
> you a $50 to $100 bonus.
> With the credit market as it is, those days may be
> gone though.

I received an offer in the mail last week. It's for $200 after your first direct deposit when opening a Rewards Checking account. It says minimum to open account is $50, no monthly fee or minimum balance requirement for the first year--after that, the fee is $8.95 for balances below $1,500.

You get the $200 6-8 weeks after the first direct deposit.

The URL is http://www.capitalonebank.com/rewards and the promo code is RC2.

I'm still haven't decided if I'll take them up on the offer.

Posted by: Conie ()
Date: November 16, 2010 09:36PM

hoocoodanode Wrote:
> WingNut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is Capital One giving any promotions or
> incentives
> > to open an account?
> >
> > I'll put $500 in an account all day if they
> give
> > you a $50 to $100 bonus.
> > With the credit market as it is, those days may
> be
> > gone though.
>
> I received an offer in the mail last week. It's
> for $200 after your first direct deposit when
> opening a Rewards Checking account. It says
> minimum to open account is $50, no monthly fee or
> minimum balance requirement for the first
> year--after that, the fee is $8.95 for balances
> below $1,500.
>
> You get the $200 6-8 weeks after the first direct
> deposit.
>
> The URL is http://www.capitalonebank.com/rewards
> and the promo code is RC2.
>
> I'm still haven't decided if I'll take them up on
> the offer.

You should talk to Mr. Misery about this

Date: November 16, 2010 10:51PM

Better than what they saddled me as a CC customer... $15/mo for checking balance under $5k. I have closed most of my accounts with them, only one more to go.

Posted by: the customer ()
Date: November 17, 2010 09:15AM

The Chevy Chase bank website internet banking system was organized and easier to use much MUCH better than the Capital One website. I hate logging on Capital One website to do banking. Why can't they use Chevy Chase's model/template that Chevy Chase obviously did a better job with?.

Date: November 17, 2010 09:27AM

Because the Capital One Web site is based on the model of all their other products (credit cards, CDs, online savings accounts, etc) before they brought Chevy Chase on.

Date: November 17, 2010 09:50AM

justsayin Wrote:
> Because the Capital One Web site is based on the
> model of all their other products (credit cards,
> CDs, online savings accounts, etc) before they
> brought Chevy Chase on.

Ah! So that's what makes me an angry bitter person?.
Your either a woman or a banker. Or both. LOL
(overly-sensitive and manipulative).. and if a banker, OVER-PAID

Date: November 17, 2010 09:57AM

The answer is what it is. And not only have you shown yourself to be angry and bitter in other threads, you now show yourself to be a complete imbecile. Did you really not know of or not hear of Capital One before they bought Chevy Chase Bank? You didn't know that was an existing bank?

Date: November 17, 2010 10:06AM

justsayin Wrote:
> The answer is what it is. And not only have you
> shown yourself to be angry and bitter in other
> threads, you now show yourself to be a complete
> imbecile. Did you really not know of or not hear
> of Capital One before they bought Chevy Chase
> Bank? You didn't know that was an existing bank?

I was just suggesting that if their website (online banking) was designed like Chevy Chase's WAS, it would be a positive thing for their customers. Now, does Capital One give a shit?. that remains to be seen.

At least they haven't gotten as bad as Wachovia did when 'First Union' took over; talk about banker-bullshit.

Date: November 17, 2010 11:59AM

Chevy Chases' site was generally more functional, but the design (look and feel) itself was pretty dated. Capital One's site has a more fresh design but isn't as functional. But guess which one is important in attracting new customers? If you complain about functionality, you are already a customer.

I have been with Chevy Chase since the time they were handing out packages with floppies in them to install their banking dialup client software. Sad to leave them but I'm not letting them tie up five grand for next-to-zero interest in a checking account to avoid a $15 monthly fee.

My family has even come to know some of the staff at my local branch over the years. I can't bring myself to close the accounts at my branch so I have been going to other ones through the process. Just shows how Cap One has pissed away loyal customers.

I loved how at one, after closing two accounts, the bank manager asked me if I wanted to refinance my mortgage through them. Asking for new business while I'm in the process of firing them, just shows how clueless some are.

Date: November 17, 2010 02:02PM

"Chevy Chases' site was generally more functional, but the design (look and feel) itself was pretty dated. Capital One's site has a more fresh design but isn't as functional. But guess which one is important in attracting new customers? If you complain about functionality, you are already a customer." - justsayin

You can't possibly really be that stupid?. Can you?
Well if you are, I'm sure nobody will mind losing you for a customer. You're better off being somebody else's headache. Specifically the competition's; let me know if you need a reference. :)

Posted by: Don in VA ()
Date: December 28, 2010 11:43PM

Just signed on for the 4th time out of most recent 8 times in the past week "Account Details and History" -- that's what most people sign on for guys! -- are unavailable. Cap one is PATHETIC -- STAY AWAY -- we have just opened up accts at Wachovia and will bail on Cap One next week. Ah, now I have "account details" but the "AVAILABLE BALANCE" is.... wait for it "Unavailable"! Every time I interact with this bank I hate them even more, and that is sayin' something at this point.

Posted by: Buh Bye ()
Date: December 29, 2010 08:15AM

> ...Cap one is PATHETIC -- STAY AWAY...

Today is my last autopay bill payment (Washington Gas - a company stuck in the 18th century for sure - the bureaucracy behind that company must be amazing based off my attempt to make a simple change in what banking institution is hit for my bill). We'll see if it gets properly transferred over to my (new) credit union.

If so, my Chevy Chase accounts get closed tomorrow after more than 20 years.

Date: December 29, 2010 10:19AM

Try to get something in writing that they are closed. I have gone to the bank twice now to close accounts after sitting through a rep telling they were closed. Online two of them are still showing as alive, no notes on their open/close status. On the second trip when I closed out the last of my accounts they said one I had closed before was still showing open.

You'd think by now they'd have plenty of practice closing accounts.

Posted by: capitol one teller ()
Date: December 29, 2010 06:38PM

justsayin Wrote:
> Try to get something in writing that they are
> closed. I have gone to the bank twice now to
> close accounts after sitting through a rep telling
> they were closed. Online two of them are still
> showing as alive, no notes on their open/close
> status. On the second trip when I closed out the
> last of my accounts they said one I had closed
> before was still showing open.
>
> You'd think by now they'd have plenty of practice
> closing accounts.

We are still closing accounts but not nearly as many as a few months ago. What gets me is that people think that we give a damn that they are going to another bank. Capital 1 wants truly rich people or poor people who run up cc balances and have lots of overdraft fees. The clients they dont want are the responsible middle class who only make 100 grand a year or so and pay their bills on time and dont carry a cc balance. People like that cost banks money most of the time.

Date: December 29, 2010 06:51PM

One reason I didn't have for leaving CC/Cap1 were the tellers and staff, who were very nice and in my experience always super professional. I know by their examples that you are a troll and not really an employee of theirs, lest anyone fall for it.

Posted by: Crock Caller ()
Date: December 29, 2010 08:46PM

> ...People like that cost banks money most of the time...

What a crock.

At 0.1% interest per year on most accounts they make money on any account that has more than a couple hundred dollars in it.

Date: December 29, 2010 09:10PM

justsayin Wrote:
>
> You'd think by now they'd have plenty of practice
> closing accounts.

I think their computer systems are flawed. When I closed mine and asked what the deal was about transactions hitting afterward re-opening an account (read here). We had an account close function at the bank I worked at. When asked, they said that Cap One doesn't have it, it just auto-closes after five days at a zero balance. Not ideal. I called after the five days passed and confirmed that all my accounts were indeed closed.

Also agree that the staff at the Cap One branches were not the reason I left, they were pretty good and even knew my name.

Posted by: Outta Here ()
Date: December 29, 2010 09:17PM

> ...it just auto-closes after five days at a zero balance. Not ideal...

The folks at my ex-Chevy Chase bank actually warned me about that - if you close out an account that is responsible for a minimum balance and the "check for fee due" hits during that 5-day period, you get hit with a fee!

Cool, huh?

Posted by: CapitalOne SUCKS ()
Date: May 05, 2011 10:52AM

The above post is true.. I closed out my Capital One account in January after they randomly added people to my account and admitted that it was their error. THey also sent my atm card to tx and closed out my atm card without notification... another error on their part! They even sent me statements with random people's names on them!

So January I closed the account, in the branch bank and by phone with the VP who assured me it was closed. I just got a statement from them saying I had a balance and have over $400 in fees! I can't tell you that there is a more corrupt bank out there than Capital One.. at least I hope there isn't because Capital One is one of the worst banks I've ever seen. I had absolutely NO problems ever with Chevy Chase bank.

has anyone else files complaints with the Federal Government FTC, FDIC or even the FBI or BBB? These people need to be investigated and taken care of.

Posted by: Uncle Sam ()
Date: May 05, 2011 05:34PM

Try PNC bank, it seems to be the most "Customer friendly" at this time.

Posted by: capital one teller ()
Date: May 08, 2011 03:26PM

CapitalOne SUCKS Wrote:
> The above post is true.. I closed out my Capital
> One account in January after they randomly added
> people to my account and admitted that it was
> their error. THey also sent my atm card to tx and
> closed out my atm card without notification...
> another error on their part! They even sent me
> statements with random people's names on them!
>
> So January I closed the account, in the branch
> bank and by phone with the VP who assured me it
> was closed. I just got a statement from them
> saying I had a balance and have over $400 in fees!
> I can't tell you that there is a more corrupt
> bank out there than Capital One.. at least I hope
> there isn't because Capital One is one of the
> worst banks I've ever seen. I had absolutely NO
> problems ever with Chevy Chase bank.
>
> has anyone else files complaints with the Federal
> Government FTC, FDIC or even the FBI or BBB?
> These people need to be investigated and taken
> care of.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe YOUR bad attitude led to all this?????

Date: May 08, 2011 04:10PM

Agreed, you should have been nicer to the bank that wrecked your accounts, endangered your credit, admitted to applying fees unfairly, and gave you their word your account was closed. How DARE you be angry at them !!!!!!!1!1!1!!!!!

Date: May 08, 2011 04:11PM

removing double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2011 04:12PM by justsayin.

Posted by: hotelmotelholidayinn ()
Date: October 29, 2017 05:14PM

Warhawk Wrote:
> Try going into a major bank (any bank) and try to
> break a 100 or 50 and not have an account at that
> bank. Unless you have an account, they won't do
> it. I've been cockblocked by Wachovia and my
> co-worker was shot down by Riggs (how long have
> they been gone?)
>
> Fuck banks. Just like lawyers - a necessary evil.

Chevy Chase was good.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.