HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Internet Radio Spared Upped Song Royalty rate
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 13, 2007 12:54PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Internet Radio Spared Upped Song Royalty rate
Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: July 13, 2007 01:59PM

Clear Channel Sells Filesharing Data
Wall Street Journal - Pirated Music Helps Radio Develop Playlists:

Earlier this year, Clear Channel Communications Inc.'s Premiere Radio Networks unit began marketing data on the most popular downloads from illegal file-sharing networks to help radio stations shape their playlists. The theory is that the songs attracting the most downloads online will also win the most listeners on the radio, helping stations sell more advertising. In turn, the service may even help the record labels, because radio airplay is still the biggest factor influencing record sales. [...]

Universal Music Group, the record company that distributes Shop Boyz, also looks at file-sharing data, largely for help figuring out which songs are working best or what to pitch to radio. But executives have mixed feelings about the information. "It's troubling that there is so much activity [that] it's useful" for research, says Larry Kenswil, executive vice president for business strategy.
So wait a minute. The music industry is acknowledging that there are some non-infringing uses for p2p networks? That's a switch. Will this lead to an all-out villain vs. villain battle between Clear Channel and the RIAA? Godzilla vs. Mothra!

Via techdirt.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 13, 2007 07:36PM

spared? no, only a delay in the impending doom for small/amature broadcasters. the stations i listen to are still going to die. some of the stations i listen to have <500 listeners and broadcast 24/7. do you really think they can afford any sort of payout? i can only hope that meteors take out all the people that make up the RIAA.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 13, 2007 08:44PM

I've ben listening to Radio Paradise for 2 yrs now. I hope they survive. I love that station.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: July 16, 2007 09:34PM

I will sacrifice a goat if Pandora is shut down.

On that note, where can I find a goat?

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Posted by: joe ()
Date: July 17, 2007 07:54PM

Nik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On that note, where can I find a goat?

Depends what breed you want...

http://duhgoatman.tripod.com/goatfarms.htm

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.