HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Will Obama be a one-termer?
Posted by: Just wondering.... ()
Date: August 24, 2010 07:39AM

Do you think that Obama's pretty much toast in 2012 and will go down as a failed one-term president like Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will Obama be a one-termer?
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: August 24, 2010 07:40AM

Yes.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:04AM

He'll have to see a pretty serious economic rebound to recover, and I'm not sure if that's in the cards.

Obama's campaign was pretty brilliant in it's vagueness, it seemed to promise little but instead let the voters draw thier own interpretation on what "hope and change" was going to be. I think once he got into office, he has stopped listening to the slickee politico tacticians like Rahm and Axslrod. As the economy unfortunately stagnates and people become aware of the waste and partisanship of the stimuli, things will sour further.

The fear driven slice of the voting block that voted for Bush in 04 on terrorism and voted for Obama in 08 on the economy will be easily flipped. I doubt they'll be back to the polls for Obama. Obama can talk shit about Bush and the GOP until he's blue in the face, but the facts are he offered little when he was in Congress himself. Obama has no business background and it shows.

A good policy wonk with economic or business sense like Romney or Mitch Daniels should be able to comfortably take the reigns in 2012,

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Voter____ ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:06AM

Those are two separate questions. It's likely that he will win re-election in 2012 but if the economy hasn't recovered and unemployment is still high there is always the possibility he could lose. Encumbents have substantial advantages though and the right's smorgasbord of crazies currently topping the polls shouldn't give them much comfort. Even if he does lose, however, the judgement about whether his was a failed presidency will be one made later with the benefit of hindsight and perspective. I think history will quite clearly recognize that the actions he took to rescue the economy and the historic nature of health care reform and his other substantial initiatives will make his presidency one of the most consequential in recent times.

Just wondering.... Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think that Obama's pretty much toast in
> 2012 and will go down as a failed one-term
> president like Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush?

Date: August 24, 2010 08:18AM

Oh, and people will realize the costs that will be asociated with health care reform. Policy prices may start to rise before the election.

Health care and the stimulus are going to be viewed the same way as Iraq and the Patriot Act- large outlays of taxpayer money and erosions of rights. All pushed through hastily, poorly thought out and used fear as a motivator.\

ANd fuck you with your Tea Party analogys, they'll have little impact outside the really conservative states. You're playing the same game the right did when they tried to make International Answer, Code PInk and Cindy Sheehan the voice of the Dems.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:18AM

Voter____ Wrote:
>
> the right's smorgasbord of crazies

lol, who the hell is going to run for the GOP? Can you imagine if a retarded redneck like Palin gets nominated? Or the increasingly deranged Gingrich? Just the other night I heard Pat Buchanan accuse Gingrich of "going too far". Pat Buchanan! Accusing someone of being extreme!

The tea party's a fucking joke and if someone on the right can't muster the balls to shut them up, the next election will be even more of joke for the GOP then the last one.

Posted by: FBO ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:28AM

Fuck Obama... Hes a one hit wonder. As in I wonder why the fuck hes not in prison yet for Treason.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I say "fuck" a lot...

Date: August 24, 2010 08:34AM

Meeper, watch the dark horse. The Tea Party will do good in some local and state races, but that's about it. The timing is everything, in 2006 no one really knew dick about Obama and up to the primaries iddn't give him a snowballs chance.

If unemployment is still around 8% after the promise the stimulus would keep it from reaching that level, voters a re going to be of the feeling they basically wasted 4 years.

Hell, I could write the ads the GOP is going to run, it's a fucking roadmap. It will be a moderate, maybe northern repub that runs, Giuiliani, Chris Christie,Scott Brown,Mitch Daniels,Mitt Romney. The focus won't be the Tea Party social issues like guns and immigration. Pure economy- the place where Obama promiserd most and did the least.

Posted by: interesting, interesting ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:38AM

I have read WingNut's posts often.

Despite having only a GED, his comments are far more rife with common sense and full of intellectual heft than most others, including some who profess to lots of fancy degrees.

He is spot on here. You can bank on it.

Date: August 24, 2010 08:49AM

To be fair, I wasn never a dumb kid, just reckless and rebellious. And I did get my GED froma very, very good school.

Thanks for the kind owrds anyway. Love ya too, Mom!

interesting, interesting Wrote:
> I have read WingNut's posts often.
>
> Despite having only a GED, his comments are far
> more rife with common sense and full of
> intellectual heft than most others, including some
> who profess to lots of fancy degrees.
>
> He is spot on here. You can bank on it.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: August 24, 2010 08:56AM

Obama was considered a possibility since his keynote at the 2004 DNC. So he wasn't entirely unknown, it was just that Hillary was the prohibitive favorite.

And yes, if unemployment is above 8% by fall 2012, we're going to hear how the stimulus promised us 8%.

On the other hand, the Tea Party will need to get reined in.

They'll probably limit the gains the GOP make this fall -- for example, anyone saner than Sharron Angle could be unseating Harry Reid this fall, and Rand Paul is making it tough in Kentucky. Who knows what crazy is going on in random House races.

The Tea Partiers won't let Scott Brown come anywhere near the nomination. Isn't he pro-choice to begin with (this will destroy Giuliani, who's also a bit wobbly on guns), and committed the cardinal sin of working with the Democrats? No, Scott's worried about his own re-election, but may well be able to pull it off if the Dems nominate another terrible candidate.

If Christie's budget cuts work in NJ, he may become some sort of grassroots favorite. I can also see him attracting Fairfax County-type voters, which have formed a valuable part of the Democrats' new winning coalition outside the South and even make GA and TX non-blowouts (my understanding is that Obama won among non-Southern whites.)

A Southern, smarter version of Palin will get the social conservatives on board; I'm thinking Huckabee or Jindal. Jindal's worst blemish is complaining about volcano studies in his SotU response in 2009.

But ... this is the time for folks to get a war chest together. You've got the usual suspects (along with their high negatives): Huckabee (too much creationism), Palin (too much stupid), Gingrich (too much petulance), Romney (too much flip-flopping.) Of these, I can put up with Huckabee and Romney, and maybe Gingrich, but would never vote for Palin.

I don't see Pawlenty or any of the other folks who are briefly mentioned (Thune, Daniels, etc.) really exciting folks the way Christie might, although we won't know if Christie's ideas work until fall of next year -- perhaps too late to get a war chest together.

My own thinking is that we're going to take turns until we end up being India's poodle (much like the UK was for us) in the Sino-Indian Cold War.

Or maybe it'll be a trilateral world, with US, China, and India.

Posted by: Janie ()
Date: August 24, 2010 09:23AM

The Republican party looks like a bunch clowns these days with no purpose. Not a chance of accomplishing anything. The Tea party doesn't have enough funding.

It's pretty safe to say that Hillary, who cut a deal with Obama, will be our first woman President in 2012. Yeah!

Palin doesn't have a chance running against her. Hillary's big flaw was no foreign experience but now that she has run the State Department she has it.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: August 24, 2010 09:24AM

In Fairfax?
Off topic you numb fuck.

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: August 24, 2010 10:03AM

WingNut Wrote:
> Health care and the stimulus are going to be
> viewed the same way as Iraq and the Patriot Act-
> large outlays of taxpayer money and erosions of
> rights. All pushed through hastily, poorly thought
> out and used fear as a motivator.\

Yeah those are what cost Bush 2004. Good thing we were so forward-thinking then.

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: August 24, 2010 10:18AM

I also think he'll be a one term president. He and the democratically controlled congress had a lot of potential to do more than what was actually produced. They tried to work with the republicans repeatedly and caved to many of their demands making strong proposals much weaker.

What have we gotten as a result a tepid healthcare reform bill (certainly some aspects like existing conditions and such are good that they're eliminating) a massive cost increase with little to show for it. TARP/ARRA - step in the right direction but again anemic - it should have been stronger and more pro-American. Th wars are still raging on, Guantanamo is still ticking, PATRIOT Act is still alive and well....really what we got as a result was Republican-lite. Of course the republicans will howl in protest at this designation but in reality they must be pleased it could have been much worse had the democrats/Obama had a stronger backbone and shoved their shit down the republicans throats.

Date: August 24, 2010 10:29AM

The devil is in the details and there are a lot of devils that will come out from health care and stimulus spending. If unemployment doesn't drop greatly and the opposition can point to great waste by Obama spending, how do think people will vote?

People think Obama has a mandate, all he ever had was a majority. I know a lot of people who are just casual followers of politics who voted Obama as a sort of Hail Mary pass. It's starting to sink in with folks that they may have themselves to blame for the housing bubble and that there's really no quick fix. Obama fucked up making claims that he could contain unemployment at 8%. Summer of recovery? If we're lucky there won't be a double dip.

Date: August 24, 2010 10:44AM

Obama did have a mandate. He solidly won the election. He watered down his initiatives to try to satisfy his critics and to get them on board which they never had any intention of doing anyways and by doing so he has alienated his base.

But yes, there's no denying he's pretty unpopular right now. I just don't think it's a home run for the Republicans. It really depends on who they nominate.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 24, 2010 10:55AM

WingNut Wrote:

>
> A good policy wonk with economic or business sense
> like Romney or Mitch Daniels should be able to
> comfortably take the reigns in 2012,

Romney will never come close to a nomination as his Mormonism sits uneasy with a lot of Americans.

Granted, he won't have the fire breathing white trash come after him like Obama and his supposed Muslim influences, but being Mormon is not mainstream enough by any means.

Posted by: Voter____ ()
Date: August 24, 2010 11:29AM

If they don't nominate Romney they are fucked for sure. There are no other grownups in the party that are well-positioned enough to win.

eesh Wrote:
> Romney will never come close to a nomination as
> his Mormonism sits uneasy with a lot of
> Americans.
>
> Granted, he won't have the fire breathing white
> trash come after him like Obama and his supposed
> Muslim influences, but being Mormon is not
> mainstream enough by any means.

Date: August 24, 2010 12:38PM

A lot of poor hillbillies who'd have never voted for a black man held their noses and voted Obama. I think the evangelicals will take a Mormon over Obama all day.

It may not be Romney, but someone of his style and moderation. The Dems will get desperate. They've attempted to rally hispanic vote with an exaggeration of the AZ immigration law and they may push for a homeowner mortgage forgiveness program (that they know will never gel) to get voters back on board. I didn't vote for Obama, but I tried to like him the first few months. His inexperience and lack of clarity makes him look like a joke after he was treated with such adulation and reverence by the media and public.

Date: August 24, 2010 12:41PM

Johnny Walker Wrote:
> WingNut Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Health care and the stimulus are going to be
> > viewed the same way as Iraq and the Patriot
> Act-
> > large outlays of taxpayer money and erosions of
> > rights. All pushed through hastily, poorly
> thought
> > out and used fear as a motivator.\
>
>
>
> Yeah those are what cost Bush 2004. Good thing we
> were so forward-thinking then.

Bush was saved by a good economy because we were nearing the peak in the housing bubble then.

Posted by: Troll@AOL ()
Date: August 24, 2010 12:48PM

It is SET IN STONE;

OBAMA = 1 termer

==================================================================================
"Why don't you LOSERS just pack your flower print DOUCHE BAGS
and get your stoopid @$$#$ THE FUCK OFF MY INTERNETZ!"

- 'philscamms' (the YT Watchdog) ; internet & YouTube® extraordinaire.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: August 24, 2010 12:57PM

A lot can happen in 2 years. But, I'll advance one point. Obama won't win but a few Republican votes in 2012; and whomever the Republicans nominate will be sure to win but a handful of Democratic votes.

What has mattered since about 1992 has been the middle - the independents. They voted for Clinton, split the vote for Bush and Gore in 2000, favored Bush in 2004, and favored Obama in 2008.

If you look at Obama's support amongst independents today, his support and favorability ratings are in the mid 30 percent rage. That is NOT a recipe for victory.

Posted by: yupper ()
Date: August 24, 2010 01:19PM

Johnny Walker Wrote:
> I just don't think it's a home run for
> the Republicans. It really depends on who they
> nominate.

And the far right can definitely screw it up for 2012.

It's seems like a lot of conservatives would rather see Obama instead of a Giuliani, or other moderates.

stoopid

Posted by: WPHKw ()
Date: August 24, 2010 01:32PM

As long as we're predicting the Electoral climate in 2012, can we also predict the weather then too? Will I need to wear a coat to the polls when I vote in 2012?

Posted by: Cluas ()
Date: August 24, 2010 02:00PM

Obama will win. Republicans screwed up the economy too bad under Bush. Nobody wants to go back to Bush days.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 24, 2010 02:34PM

Allah willing, he will be a one term president.

If the history books are written accurately, and not edited by Vince(1), he will be remembered as the most arrogant, the most divisive, the most inept and most dangerous president this country has ever seen. A president who appeases brutal dictators and aligns himself with the enemies of his country, he believes in his own superiority and ability to bring peace and "social justice" to the globe. Brought to power by the left wing media and the seduction of race politics, he is the product of the socialist's imagination, a magical trick, a fraud.

If he were a white conservative, he would never have made it beyond his racist, bigoted church, home to his spiritual leader and godfather to his children, who believes Jews are the scourge of the earth and America is a terrorist regime. He would never have seen beyond the walls of his sleazy, corrupt community organizations. Never would he have been lifted from the mud where he and his Chicago cronies cut dirty deals and salivate over the glories of Venezuela and the triumph of Hugo Chavez over freedom...

as they cry, “God damn, America.â€

Date: August 24, 2010 02:43PM

Now how do you really feel?

Posted by: Oopa ()
Date: August 24, 2010 05:00PM

Attachments:
hillary.jpg

Posted by: Nooooooo ()
Date: August 25, 2010 11:59AM

Doesn't matter, world's ending in 2012 anyway

Posted by: yupper ()
Date: August 25, 2010 12:21PM

Alias Wrote:
> Allah willing, he will be a one term president.
>
> If the history books are written accurately, and
> not edited by Vince(1), he will be remembered as
> the most arrogant, the most divisive, the most
> inept and most dangerous president this country
> has ever seen. A president who appeases brutal
> dictators and aligns himself with the enemies of
> his country, he believes in his own superiority
> and ability to bring peace and "social justice" to
> the globe. Brought to power by the left wing media
> and the seduction of race politics, he is the
> product of the socialist's imagination, a magical
> trick, a fraud.
>
> If he were a white conservative, he would never
> have made it beyond his racist, bigoted church,
> home to his spiritual leader and godfather to his
> children, who believes Jews are the scourge of the
> earth and America is a terrorist regime. He would
> never have seen beyond the walls of his sleazy,
> corrupt community organizations. Never would he
> have been lifted from the mud where he and his
> Chicago cronies cut dirty deals and salivate over
> the glories of Venezuela and the triumph of Hugo
> Chavez over freedom...
>
> as they cry, “God damn, America.â€

I think I'm in love...

Date: August 25, 2010 01:29PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to announce our
new FU 2010 Epic-Post of the Year Award winner!

Congratulations on your epic post Alias!
Your prize is vibrating in the mail.

==================================================================================

Posted by: Effie ()
Date: August 25, 2010 03:03PM

There are more Democrates than Republicans. It use to be the many Democrates didn't vote, but with Republicans being such assholes over Obama, Democrates will show up in force in 2012. Hands down Obama or Hillary wins.

You also have to look at the fact that there is no good Republican candidate to run. Republicans can't use the we the DC outsider con any more. Palin fucked that con up.

Date: August 25, 2010 03:29PM

You mean you think the Republicans can't essentially
pull a stick out of their ass at the last minute, or
find some unqulified inexperienced Senator to fill the
slot?

How about some black guy?

If they pick some black guy, then will the
Republicans be considered serious contenders?

Posted by: Yesofcourse ()
Date: August 25, 2010 03:45PM

Yes. People are not fooled by him and his cronies.

Posted by: Levi ()
Date: August 25, 2010 03:51PM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> You mean you think the Republicans can't
> essentially
> pull a stick out of their ass at the last minute,
> or
> find some unqulified inexperienced Senator to fill
> the
> slot?
>
> How about some black guy?
>
> If they pick some black guy, then will the
> Republicans be considered serious contenders?
>
>
> .

Unfortunately Republicans have already used up their token black, Michael Steele.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 25, 2010 04:50PM

Levi Wrote:
>
> Unfortunately Republicans have already used up
> their token black, Michael Steele.

I read an article awhile back that presented a plausible scenario in which Clarence Thomas was the GOP nominee.

Date: August 26, 2010 12:15AM

yupper Wrote:
> Alias Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Allah willing, he will be a one term president.
> >
> > If the history books are written accurately,
> and
> > not edited by Vince(1), he will be remembered
> as
> > the most arrogant, the most divisive, the most
> > inept and most dangerous president this country
> > has ever seen. A president who appeases brutal
> > dictators and aligns himself with the enemies
> of
> > his country, he believes in his own superiority
> > and ability to bring peace and "social justice"
> to
> > the globe. Brought to power by the left wing
> media
> > and the seduction of race politics, he is the
> > product of the socialist's imagination, a
> magical
> > trick, a fraud.
> >
> > If he were a white conservative, he would never
> > have made it beyond his racist, bigoted church,
> > home to his spiritual leader and godfather to
> his
> > children, who believes Jews are the scourge of
> the
> > earth and America is a terrorist regime. He
> would
> > never have seen beyond the walls of his sleazy,
> > corrupt community organizations. Never would he
> > have been lifted from the mud where he and his
> > Chicago cronies cut dirty deals and salivate
> over
> > the glories of Venezuela and the triumph of Hugo
>
> > Chavez over freedom...
> >
> > as they cry, “God damn, America.â€
>
>
> I think I'm in love...

Be careful.. hanging out with the likes of me could put you on a watch list....I'm a known enemy of the state.

We'll have to meet in some underground location.

Date: August 26, 2010 12:29AM

Troll@AOL Wrote:
> Ladies and Gentlemen, I am pleased to announce our
>
> new FU 2010 Epic-Post of the Year Award winner!
>
> Congratulations on your epic post Alias!
> Your prize is vibrating in the mail.
>

Thank you, Troll.

If you wouldn't mind, could you send me the non-vibrating prize? My mailman might get the wrong idea.

Posted by: adfafdadfa ()
Date: December 01, 2014 10:35PM

lol contards

Posted by: gop-tardz ()
Date: December 01, 2014 10:40PM

Ralph Pootawn Wrote:
> Yes.

I bet you $100 you're wrong!

Posted by: public servant ()
Date: December 02, 2014 03:03AM

It is funny to look back at old threads like this and see just how wrong these right wing nut-jobs were and will continue to be.

Posted by: Fat~Bottom~Girl ()
Date: December 02, 2014 10:54AM

public servant Wrote:
> It is funny to look back at old threads like this
> and see just how wrong these right wing nut-jobs
> were and will continue to be.

+1

Ain't it the truth!

lol

Posted by: 0202 ()
Date: December 02, 2014 11:06AM

lol

Date: December 02, 2014 11:06AM

AH the memories....

Bitchass Obama has about a 40% approval rating and had to lie thru his teeth about healthcare to get elected..

Oh, thank Gawd we didn't elect the white Mormon guy, things would've been so fucking terrible.

Posted by: True The Vote ! ()
Date: December 02, 2014 11:10AM

It is funny to look back at old threads like this and see just how right these right wing nut-jobs were and continue to be.

Posted by: Nutty_Buddy ()
Date: December 02, 2014 11:11AM

WingNut Wrote:
> Oh, thank Gawd we didn't elect the white Mormon
> guy, things would've been so fucking terrible.

It pains me to say it, Nutty, but I agree with you.

President Mittens would have been awful.

Posted by: sane ()
Date: December 02, 2014 04:08PM

True The Vote ! Wrote:
> It is funny to look back at old threads like this
> and see just how right these right wing nut-jobs
> were and continue to be.

Tell that to the new Republican Congress. Obama was a BIG loser in the last election.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.