HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Iran nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri 'flees US captors'
Posted by: Firratte ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:17AM

In the new video, broadcast on Tuesday, a man claiming to be the missing scientist says: "I, Shahram Amiri, am a national of the Islamic Republic of Iran and a few minutes ago I succeeded in escaping US security agents in Virginia.

"Presently, I am producing this video in a safe place. I could be re-arrested at any time."

Two videos supposedly showing Shahram Amiri emerged on 8 June
The man says the video broadcast earlier this month - in which someone claiming to be Mr Amiri says he was kidnapped by Saudi and US agents, tortured, forced to say he had defected and was living in Tucson, Arizona - is "completely authentic and there are no fabrications in it.

"The second video which was published on YouTube by the US government, where I have said that I am free and want to continue my education here, is not true and is a complete fabrication.

"I am not free here and I am not permitted to contact my family. If something happens and I do not return home alive, the US government will be responsible."

Our CIA is Corrupt..... and 9/11 was an inside job.

Here we go again..... Iraq #2 Iran.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Iran nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri 'flees US captors'
Posted by: Firratte ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:19AM

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: June 30, 2010 03:37PM

Date: June 30, 2010 03:46PM

Here is the footage of the scientist who made the video on the June 29th 2010 I believe. Looks like he won't be watching Twilight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2010 03:55PM by Firrat.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: June 30, 2010 05:44PM

The CIA is the bomb. They can recruit anyone!

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: July 01, 2010 06:44PM

"We are showing the Iranian government that its actions have consequences," he says. "And if it persists, the pressure will continue to mount, and its isolation will continue to deepen."
In addition, Obama's prepared text says the sanctions are targeted at Iranian elements tied to the nuclear program, rather than the Iranian people.
"This legislation imposes sanctions on individuals who commit serious human rights abuses," he says. "And it exempts from our trade embargo technologies that allow the Iranian people to access information and communicate freely. In Iran and around the world, the United States of America will continue to stand with those who seek justice and progress and the human rights and dignity of all people."

Very well said

Date: July 04, 2010 11:46AM

_48024229_iran0806_amiri_466.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/10501753.stm

Conflicting video footage has deepened the mystery
Iran has handed over new documents proving one of its nuclear scientists was abducted by the US, Tehran says.

The evidence, the contents of which have not been disclosed, has reportedly been given to the Swiss embassy, which represents US interests in Iran.

Shahram Amiri, who disappeared during a pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia a year ago, is believed to be in the United States.

Three videos purportedly of him emerged recently - one saying he had been kidnapped, the other that he was free.

The BBC's Tehran correspondent, Jon Leyne, who is in Cairo, says Iran's statement is the latest twist in Mr Amiri's case.

It is all part of a war of words, and a war of nerves, in which the rival intelligence agencies attempt to prove they are one step ahead of each other, our correspondent says.

There has been no official comment from the Swiss embassy, nor from the US, on the latest developments.

Video battle
The US has strenuously denied abducting Mr Amiri, but ABC News reported in March that the scientist had defected and was helping the CIA compile intelligence on Iran's controversial nuclear weapons programme.

The state department has refused to say whether he is in the US.

In the first of the two videos that surfaced on 8 June, a man claiming to be Mr Amiri said he had been kidnapped by Saudi and US agents, tortured, forced to say he had defected and was living in Tucson, Arizona.

In the second video, circulated on the internet, "Mr Amiri" said he was in the US of his own free will.

In the final video, aired on Iranian TV at the end of June, the second video, the man denounced the web broadcast as a "complete fabrication" and said he had escaped.

Iranian media have said Mr Amiri worked as a researcher at a university in Tehran, but some reports say he worked for the country's atomic energy organisation and had in-depth knowledge of its nuclear programme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 11:49AM by Firrat.

Date: July 04, 2010 11:43PM

I just heard about this...am I the only one?

Yes 9/11 was an inside job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 11:51PM by Firrat.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: July 05, 2010 02:36AM

Firrat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just heard about this...am I the only one?

it was 22 years ago, i'm sure some people have heard about by now.

btw, the lack of apology is hardly surprising as we mistakenly bombed a canadian base and killed about 100 troops. they didnt get an apology either.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: July 05, 2010 03:18AM

Gravis Wrote:
> Firrat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I just heard about this...am I the only one?
>
> it was 22 years ago, i'm sure some people have
> heard about by now.
>
> btw, the lack of apology is hardly surprising as
> we mistakenly bombed a canadian base and killed
> about 100 troops. they didnt get an apology
> either.

Canadians don't really like us either. Politically we are friendly, but the people dislike us.

Our arrogant actions will have a negative reaction sooner or later if we keep this up.

I can't believe metals were awarded to the Navy captain and his crew for shooting down a civilian passenger plane.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: July 05, 2010 08:18AM

Civilian shoot-down incidents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents

Wow, the US has one shoot-down that I believe at the time was deemed an accident. Russia, or Soviet forces shot down quite a few airliners in their time - it seems the Koreans were most unfortunate - but it was usually a bit hard to hold them responsible for much, huh? And let's not even go into all the airliners taken down by terrorists on board.

Regarding the Vincennes incident, there are a lot of possible reasons for this, the least of which it was accidental. The commander of the ship followed protocols and had been recently attacked by Iranian boats. Just because the Iranian military didn't want to inform the civilian operators they might be flying into a hot zone doesn't automatically make this a US conspiracy to shoot down an Iranian airliner.

It didn't help Iran's case that they had already basically told the UN to bugger off in ignoring earlier resolutions in the Iran-Iraq war, and then turned around and whined to them when their airliner was shot down. I remember when that happened - no one in America was cheering that we had shot down a civilian airliner.

Iran Falls Short in Drive at U.N. To Condemn U.S. in Airbus Case
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/15/world/iran-falls-short-in-drive-at-un-to-condemn-us-in-airbus-case.html

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: July 05, 2010 08:25PM

In 1996, the United States and Iran reached "an agreement in full and final settlement of all disputes, differences, claims, counterclaims" relating to the incident at the International Court of Justice. As part of the settlement, the United States agreed to pay US$61.8 million in compensation to the families of the Iranian victims. However, the United States has never admitted responsibility, nor apologized to Iran.

it sucks and we shot the wrong plane but it's not like we gave 'em the bird and walked away. also, this was during a time of war. it's all bullshit but there is no going back and no words will ever fix the situation. it was 22 years ago, it's time to move on.

file.php?40,file=11118
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 08:25PM by Gravis.

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: July 05, 2010 10:39PM

Firrat Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> -----
> > Firrat Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I just heard about this...am I the only one?
> >
> > it was 22 years ago, i'm sure some people have
> > heard about by now.
> >
> > btw, the lack of apology is hardly surprising
> as
> > we mistakenly bombed a canadian base and killed
> > about 100 troops. they didnt get an apology
> > either.
>
>
> Canadians don't really like us either. Politically
> we are friendly, but the people dislike us.
>
> Our arrogant actions will have a negative reaction
> sooner or later if we keep this up.
>
> I can't believe metals were awarded to the Navy
> captain and his crew for shooting down a civilian
> passenger plane.

Actually, it's the other way around, most Americans mock Canadians because their nation was formed on the backs of Loyalists, and we still see them as England's bitches.

Really though, I've been to Canada a couple of times (Both B.C., and Montreal), and I've never run into any hatred. The French Canucks have always had some issues with the U.S. (The English Canucks don't really like them either), but even with them I didn't see any personal hatred (One French Canadian chick was actually flirting with me the last time I was up there). As for Victoria Island, B.C., the people were AMAZINGLY friendly, and you couldn't ask for a cooler grouping of individuals.

With regard to the Iranian jet shootdown in the Perisan Gulf, that was an intentional act by Iran. They aimed straight towards a cordoned war zone full of our Navy vessels, and they refused to answer any of the hailing attempts which were directed at them. A ship CO's first responsibility is toward the safety of his/her crew, not political sensitivities. I'm surprised that no one ever questions the official Iranian story regarding that incident. I wouldn't be surprised if the pilots weren't some dumbass wanna'be martyrs. Regardless, don't fuck with our military, and you won't be shot down. Those little harassing Iranian Navy boats are lucky that they haven't encountered the COs who I know as well, or they would already be basking on the bottom of the Gulf. Stupid Iranian government, they play too many damn games.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Date: July 06, 2010 02:06AM

Have you heard the new Canadian smoking advertisement on the radio? I'm not taking it seriously, but in truth it is how they think.

Some things are there, but won't show. We live in a civilized society and anger towards another nation won't come up until the government does something to upset people. We as Americans are judged by our governments actions......In a way the world expects us to control our government, but unfortunately we have no control other than voting. People as well as Canadians usually dislike the loud obnoxious idiots who's clueless and cares about no one but themselves. We definitely seem arrogant to many.

"don't fuck with our military, and you won't be shot down"

You do realize this is a passenger plane... correct? I really don't want to get into the details about this. It happened and I believe our military wouldn't make the same mistake.

9/11 is a bigger deal and draws out a different sign/meaning which is why I can't let go.

All of these event's have a relation.

Date: July 14, 2010 04:05PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10626593

Iran nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri 'heading home'

Shahram Amiri says he was psychologically tortured by the US (footage courtesy of ATN1.DK)
An Iranian nuclear scientist who claims he was abducted by CIA agents last year and taken to the US is on his way back to Tehran, Iran says.

Foreign Ministry officials, who claim they have evidence Shahram Amiri was kidnapped, told state media he had now left the US.

The US state department has insisted he was in the US of his own free will.

In June, Mr Amiri appeared in three videos giving conflicting stories about how he had arrived in the US.
He said in the first that he had been kidnapped by CIA and Saudi agents while on a pilgrimage.

Who wins propaganda war?
Timeline: Shahram Amiri mystery
Profile: Shahram Amiri
In the second message he said he had gone to the US to improve his education and was living freely in Arizona.

In the third, he claimed to have escaped from US custody.

On Monday evening Mr Amiri arrived at the Iranian Interests Section of the Pakistani embassy in Washington, which handles Iranian affairs in the US capital, and asked to be repatriated.

'Useful information'
Since then, he has renewed his allegations that he was kidnapped, giving more details in an interview from the Iranian diplomatic mission with a Danish TV company.

He said he was abducted while on a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

"A white van stopped in front of me... They told me in Farsi that they were part of another group of pilgrims and said 'We are going towards a mosque and we will be happy to take you as well'," he told Atlantic TV.

"When I opened the door to get in and sit down, the person at the back put a gun to my side and said 'Please be quiet, don't make any noise'."

He said he was drugged and woke up in a military plane which took him to "American territory".

"Mr Amiri has been in the United States of his own free will and he is free to go”

Hillary Clinton
Secretary of State

He added that he was put under intense psychological pressure to accept millions of dollars and tell US media that he had defected from Iran with sensitive documents and was claiming asylum in the US - a deal he said he refused to accept.

But in the US, unnamed officials and security sources are claiming that Mr Amiri defected and was put into a programme similar to a witness-protection.

Later, he apparently became concerned for family members he had left behind, had a breakdown and decided to return to Iran, US reports claim.

A US official told the BBC: "He provided useful information to the United States. The Iranians now have him. In terms of win-loss, it's not even a close call."

'Free to go'
Iranian media quoted foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast as saying Mr Amiri would travel back to Iran though a "third country".

"With the efforts of the Islamic Republic of Iran and effective co-operation of Pakistan's embassy in Washington, a few minutes ago Shahram Amiri left American soil and is heading back to Iran," Mr Mehmanparast said.

Another foreign ministry spokesman later said the scientist would make a stopover in Qatar. There are no direct flights from the US to Iran.

In June, Iran claimed it had handed evidence to the US that the scientist had been abducted.

The US had repeatedly said it had no information about Mr Amiri.

However, on Tuesday, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton acknowledged publicly for the first time that the scientist was in the US - but she flatly denied allegations of abduction.

"Mr Amiri has been in the United States of his own free will and he is free to go," she said.

Iranian media reports say Mr Amiri worked as a researcher at a university in Tehran, but some reports say he worked for the country's atomic energy organisation and had in-depth knowledge of its controversial nuclear programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10626593

Date: July 14, 2010 05:07PM

Shahram Amiri says he was psychologically tortured by the US

they forced him to listen to country music? ;D

Date: July 14, 2010 05:12PM

Subject him to Meade - that should do the trick.

Vanished Iranian scientist turns up in Washington
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100713/ts_nm/us_iran_nuclear_scientist

"UNCLEAR WHY AMIRI CAME TO U.S.

Just what happened to Amiri and how he came to be in the United States remained unclear.

The State Department said the United States did not kidnap Amiri, but it has not addressed whether another country might have abducted him and turned him over.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters: "Mr. Amiri has been in the United States of his own free will and he is free to go." She contrasted his situation with that of three U.S. hikers in Iranian custody.

While U.S. officials denied they were looking to swap Amiri for the three Americans arrested near the Iraqi border about a year ago, raising their case in connection with the nuclear scientist suggested they might be interested in an exchange.

In Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said: "We do not think it is the right thing to discuss swapping Shahram Amiri for three Americans who illegally entered Iranian territory."

Amiri surfaced days after last week's Cold War-style spy swap in which 10 people charged in the United States with being Russian agents were exchanged for four held in Russia on charges of spying for the West.

It was not clear what kind of a reception he might get in Iran.

Asked why Amiri was going back, a U.S. official suggested that Iranian authorities might have threatened his family.

"He may well be feeling some pressure from back home. The Iranians aren't beyond using family to influence people. That could be one explanation for his contradictory messages," the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.

He also sought to cast doubt on Amiri's account, saying the fact that he was free to make videos and to leave undercut his claim of coercion.

"He himself gives the lie to the idea he was tortured or imprisoned. He can tell any story he wants -- but that won't make it true," the official said.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Amiri had been scheduled to leave on Monday but was unable to make the necessary arrangements.

Crowley said he had no information to suggest Amiri had been mistreated while in the United States. He did not address the possibility of Amiri's mistreatment elsewhere. "

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Date: July 14, 2010 07:10PM

Registered Voter Wrote:
> Subject him to Meade - that should do the trick.
>
> Vanished Iranian scientist turns up in Washington
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100713/ts_nm/us_iran_
> nuclear_scientist
>
> "UNCLEAR WHY AMIRI CAME TO U.S.
>
> Just what happened to Amiri and how he came to be
> in the United States remained unclear.
>
> The State Department said the United States did
> not kidnap Amiri, but it has not addressed whether
> another country might have abducted him and turned
> him over.
>
> Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters:
> "Mr. Amiri has been in the United States of his
> own free will and he is free to go." She
> contrasted his situation with that of three U.S.
> hikers in Iranian custody.
>
> While U.S. officials denied they were looking to
> swap Amiri for the three Americans arrested near
> the Iraqi border about a year ago, raising their
> case in connection with the nuclear scientist
> suggested they might be interested in an
> exchange.
>
> In Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman
> Ramin Mehmanparast said: "We do not think it is
> the right thing to discuss swapping Shahram Amiri
> for three Americans who illegally entered Iranian
> territory."
>
> Amiri surfaced days after last week's Cold
> War-style spy swap in which 10 people charged in
> the United States with being Russian agents were
> exchanged for four held in Russia on charges of
> spying for the West.
>
> It was not clear what kind of a reception he might
> get in Iran.
>
> Asked why Amiri was going back, a U.S. official
> suggested that Iranian authorities might have
> threatened his family.
>
> "He may well be feeling some pressure from back
> home. The Iranians aren't beyond using family to
> influence people. That could be one explanation
> for his contradictory messages," the official, who
> spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.
>
> He also sought to cast doubt on Amiri's account,
> saying the fact that he was free to make videos
> and to leave undercut his claim of coercion.
>
> "He himself gives the lie to the idea he was
> tortured or imprisoned. He can tell any story he
> wants -- but that won't make it true," the
> official said.
>
> State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Amiri
> had been scheduled to leave on Monday but was
> unable to make the necessary arrangements.
>
> Crowley said he had no information to suggest
> Amiri had been mistreated while in the United
> States. He did not address the possibility of
> Amiri's mistreatment elsewhere. "

Some corrupt leaders in our government would never lie to us; Right RV?

Thats why Bradley Manning is getting in trouble....because corrupt leaders are trying to cover up their lies with unjust laws.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/07/14/whistleblowers/

What Bradley Manning did was courageous. He works for the American people; Not the corrupt leaders who is fucking our country up.

Posted by: Fruppie ()
Date: July 14, 2010 07:21PM

Firrat Wrote:
> Registered Voter Wrote:
> -----
> > Subject him to Meade - that should do the
> trick.
> >
> > Vanished Iranian scientist turns up in
> Washington
> >
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100713/ts_nm/us_iran_
>
> > nuclear_scientist
> >
> > "UNCLEAR WHY AMIRI CAME TO U.S.
> >
> > Just what happened to Amiri and how he came to
> be
> > in the United States remained unclear.
> >
> > The State Department said the United States did
> > not kidnap Amiri, but it has not addressed
> whether
> > another country might have abducted him and
> turned
> > him over.
> >
> > Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told
> reporters:
> > "Mr. Amiri has been in the United States of his
> > own free will and he is free to go." She
> > contrasted his situation with that of three
> U.S.
> > hikers in Iranian custody.
> >
> > While U.S. officials denied they were looking
> to
> > swap Amiri for the three Americans arrested
> near
> > the Iraqi border about a year ago, raising
> their
> > case in connection with the nuclear scientist
> > suggested they might be interested in an
> > exchange.
> >
> > In Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman
> > Ramin Mehmanparast said: "We do not think it is
> > the right thing to discuss swapping Shahram
> Amiri
> > for three Americans who illegally entered
> Iranian
> > territory."
> >
> > Amiri surfaced days after last week's Cold
> > War-style spy swap in which 10 people charged
> in
> > the United States with being Russian agents
> were
> > exchanged for four held in Russia on charges of
> > spying for the West.
> >
> > It was not clear what kind of a reception he
> might
> > get in Iran.
> >
> > Asked why Amiri was going back, a U.S. official
> > suggested that Iranian authorities might have
> > threatened his family.
> >
> > "He may well be feeling some pressure from back
> > home. The Iranians aren't beyond using family
> to
> > influence people. That could be one explanation
> > for his contradictory messages," the official,
> who
> > spoke on condition of anonymity, told Reuters.
> >
> > He also sought to cast doubt on Amiri's
> account,
> > saying the fact that he was free to make videos
> > and to leave undercut his claim of coercion.
> >
> > "He himself gives the lie to the idea he was
> > tortured or imprisoned. He can tell any story
> he
> > wants -- but that won't make it true," the
> > official said.
> >
> > State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said
> Amiri
> > had been scheduled to leave on Monday but was
> > unable to make the necessary arrangements.
> >
> > Crowley said he had no information to suggest
> > Amiri had been mistreated while in the United
> > States. He did not address the possibility of
> > Amiri's mistreatment elsewhere. "
>
> Some corrupt leaders in our government would never
> lie to us; Right RV?
>
> Thats why Bradley Manning is getting in
> trouble....because corrupt leaders are trying to
> cover up their lies with unjust laws.
>
> http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/
> 2010/07/14/whistleblowers/
>
> What Bradley Manning did was courageous. He works
> for the American people; Not the corrupt leaders
> who is fucking our country up.

That's stupid.

Date: July 14, 2010 07:34PM

Date: July 15, 2010 10:39AM

Firrat Wrote:
> Some corrupt leaders in our government would never
> lie to us; Right RV?
>
> Thats why Bradley Manning is getting in
> trouble....because corrupt leaders are trying to
> cover up their lies with unjust laws.
>
> http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/
> 2010/07/14/whistleblowers/
>
> What Bradley Manning did was courageous. He works
> for the American people; Not the corrupt leaders
> who is fucking our country up.

I know our government lies to us from time to time on many different issues, in particular when it comes to anything political. But sorry, what he did was not "courageous" - by any term what he did was cowardly, and destructive to the interests of the US. If you don't understand why, then there really is no talking to you on that issue. Personally, I dislike when our operatives or folks working overseas are targeted - and releasing information such as what he did makes them even more so than before. Also there seems to be some point here that folks feel a need to out our entire government because of one or two bad incidents that happen - in a WAR zone. Or in this case, an area of heightened hostilities. Friendly fire incidents are always unfortunate - but our folks in the military work very hard to NOT have these incidents, while folks in other military groups and militias do not. They are happy to setup civilians to be casualties as they can then point to them as a "cause celebre" to gin up support for their cause, however misguided or inimical to the interests of the people they are winding up.

This guy Bradley made what was an unfortunate situation into an inflammatory issue, that will be used by others to ensure the conflict lasts even longer. Leaking diplomatic cables such as he did is not the work of someone who is courageous. He is fucking idiot, and he broke the law while doing it. His "cause celebre" will be celebrated behind prison walls without a doubt, because he was anything BUT a whistle blower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2010 10:44AM by Registered Voter.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: July 15, 2010 10:54AM

Registered Voter Wrote:

> This guy Bradley made what was an unfortunate
> situation into an inflammatory issue, that will be
> used by others to ensure the conflict lasts even
> longer. Leaking diplomatic cables such as he did
> is not the work of someone who is courageous. He
> is fucking idiot, and he broke the law while doing
> it. His "cause celebre" will be celebrated behind
> prison walls without a doubt, because he was
> anything BUT a whistle blower.

+1000

He was already being kicked out of the Army before this leak; this was his way of sticking it to the military.

Date: July 15, 2010 12:19PM

Oops... Looks like your boy was able to make some money off his misery huh?

U.S. paid Iranian nuclear scientist $5 million for aid to CIA, officials say
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/15/AR2010071501395_pf.html

...The transfer of millions of dollars into Amiri-controlled accounts also seems to bolster the U.S. government's assertions that Amiri was neither abducted nor brought to the United States against his will. Given the amount of money he was provided, a second U.S. official said, "I'm sure he could have been very happy here for a long time."

The payments are part of a clandestine CIA program referred to as the "brain drain." Its aim is to use incentives to induce scientists and other officials with information on Iran's nuclear program to defect. ...

Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: July 15, 2010 02:41PM

RV - I saw that $5 million pay off too...it may be true, it may not be. I usually go with Occam's Razor theories...I believe he was likely treated much like defectors from the Soviet times... he very likely left and went over to the CIA on his own volition, using Mecca as a cover for his escape...debriefed for several months, then given a house + stipend with the promise to get his family over. But because of the situation with his family in Iran, he concocted the story to save face and maybe save them. I doubt his claims of being held against his will...if CIA holds someone against their will (i.e. a prisoner...see Guantanamo) that person doesn't just walk away. It will be interesting to see how he is treated a few months from now in Iran.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.