HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New York City Cabbie Commits Suicide and blames Lyft and Uber for his Demise
Posted by: Uber, Lyft Making a Killin' ()
Date: March 22, 2018 03:46PM

Cabbie blamed Uber, Lyft for financial woes before hanging himself

A yellow-cab driver hanged himself because of financial ruin that he blamed on ride-hail apps such as Uber and Lyft — the fourth such suicide in the last four months, authorities said Wednesday.

Nicanor Ochisor, 65, was found in the garage of his Maspeth, Queens, home by his adult son on Friday, according to Richard Lipsky of the Taxi Medallion Owners and Drivers Association.

Ochisor is the first medallion owner to end his life over the flagging industry, he said.

Ochisor backed his home mortgage on his medallion, and planned to use the license to finance his retirement — but his dreams faded as the value of medallions plummeted from $1 million to around $180,000 over the last five years.

Ochisor made no secret he planned to end his life, according to friends.

“He said, ‘I’m old, I’m tired, and I’m not going to make it,’ ” fellow driver Nino Hervias, 59, recalled from a conversation with Ochisor last week.

“He talked to me about it [suicide] and said that’s the way he’s going to end,” friend and fellow medallion owner Dan Nitescu, 65, told The Post. “I told him to wait and it will get better.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New York City Cabbie Commits Suicide and blames Lyft and Uber for his Demise
Posted by: Linked here ()
Date: March 22, 2018 03:47PM

Re: New York City Cabbie Commits Suicide and blames Lyft and Uber for his Demise
Posted by: Blame the city ()
Date: March 22, 2018 05:25PM

Taxi commission fucked drivers with these overpriced medallions. A million dollars? Fucking ridiculous.

Posted by: Con Game of Medallions Is Over ()
Date: March 22, 2018 07:34PM

Is why they are dropping in price, the ones who made out like bandits were old time NY cabbies that got them in the 60's and sold them 5 years ago

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.