HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sony NW-HD5
Posted by: Me, again ()
Date: June 20, 2005 04:18PM

I was wondering if anyone owned a Sony NW-HD5. If you do, how long does the battery life last on ur unit with just plain Mp3's? I know it is supposed to go for 40 hours, but they are always wrong. Does it do any additional things (store files, etc...) Are there any worthwhile accesories?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sony NW-HD5
Posted by: kklare ()
Date: June 20, 2005 04:20PM

is this product made in fairfax?

Posted by: Me, again ()
Date: June 20, 2005 04:22PM

No its not, but i was just trying to decide between hard drive players (hopefully not an ipod.). I just wanted some clairification. Oh, and if you have one of these units, would you recommend it?

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: June 20, 2005 04:31PM

These kinds of questions are fine but don't belong in the Fairfax General forum. I've moved your thread to the off-topic section. If someone has one of these they can answer it here.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: June 21, 2005 08:39AM

Me, again Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (hopefully not an
> ipod.).

Why, are they too cool for you?

Geek.

Date: June 21, 2005 10:51AM

The iPod itself is actually a great design and is functionally superior to a lot of HD based mp3 players. That said, iTunes can SUCK MY BALLS! I HATE iTunes. My wife bought an iPod and I've been the one to manage adding mp3's etc. The player itself depends on using some form of library/database management tool on your computer in order to properly add/remove music from your iPod, which I truely hate. I've got an iRiver H320 which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love how the player works, I love the fact that all I have to do is drag and drop music to the player and thats it. I can choose whether or not to use a database or to just browse the directory structure. I love the remote (I use the LCD remote from the previous version of the player). That being said, I hate it's idea of "random/shuffle" because it's no where near random. I also hate that if you're listening to a playlist and pause the music long enough for the unit to shut off, when you turn it back on again, it stops playing from the playlist...basically forgetting that you were listening to the playlist prior to shutting down. The H3xx series is basically replaced with the H10. A smaller player available in 5, 6, and 20GB flavors. It looks fairly nice, has some extra features but only works on XP. I've heard a few good things about the Creative Zen Touch/Micro. But haven't really cared enough to find out if there's anything bad about them. Good luck!

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: June 21, 2005 03:13PM

I've been very happy with my Ipod since getting it about 8 months ago. I have friends with all manners of mp3 players but the ones that seem to have the most problems are the ones who own the Creative units (particularly hardware problems). I haven't seen the newest models of the iRiver, but my friend who has an older one has been very unhappy with his and after using my Ipod, he is going to make the switch soon.

I used winamp for 8 years or so before switching to itunes as my computer mp3 playing software. It has a lot of functionality that I haven't seen in the other softwares. I think Apple would be wise to take Trogdor's suggestion of allowing users to add files directly from their existing folder structure into the ipod because this would simplify things for people who don't want to take a few seconds to add the files to their library. But since I already use itunes for my home mp3 playing, I'm pretty happy with the way it interfaces with the ipod and have had 0 problems with itunes!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 23, 2005 12:07PM

I have a Dell DJ and an IPod Mini. I echo the comments about ITunes... it way sucks. I much prefer using Windows Media Player to rip and transfer with my Dell DJ.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: June 23, 2005 02:22PM

dell dj.... I've had tons of problems with mine since I got it a month ago, have you had any issues pgens?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: June 23, 2005 09:01PM

Nope... I have a 1st generation 15gig from when Dell was unloading them for like $130. All fine so far... I don't jog with it or anything though. It gets tossed into my bag and I use it in the car on the way to work. Not much abuse but about an hour of use per day. What's the problem with yours?

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: June 23, 2005 09:50PM

it's a known issue, I have one of the mini dell dj's, 5gb, the problem is that the internal drive's connector seems to come loose... I came to this conclusion when the thing wouldn't go past DELL when booting and none of the special helper modes would come up via a reset. I opened it up, pressed on the cable, and the thing was back. I have had to do it a few more times. Seems to work ok once you get to there.

Posted by: ******** ()
Date: December 27, 2010 12:41PM

My batteries still work

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.