HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Most people shouldn't go to college because their IQ is too low
Posted by: Steemit ()
Date: February 13, 2018 04:58PM

This post is not meant for politically correct egalitarians who believe that everyone can be an Aristotle, a Goethe or a Michael Jackson through hard work.

Source: https://steemit.com/education/@chhaylin/are-too-many-people-going-to-college-a-look-at-iq-distributions-tells-us-why-this-is-the-case

"We have to ask ourselves what percentage of the population have the mental capacity required to understand college material. This percentage, I think, is significantly lower than the percentage of people that are pursuing a college degree.

The average IQ of the population is 100. It is very difficult to obtain a college degree with an IQ of 100. If you are mentally average, you can understand some simple algebra in maths, but you will have difficulties with differential calculus. This is no life-devastating deficit. You are still intelligent enough to perform well for hundreds of jobs, but you will likely be unable to succeed in gaining a college degree. It is possible for the student to attend Macro Economics 1 classes with an IQ of 100-110, to read the textbooks and to do the tests. However, the student will probably only take in a hodgepodge of ideas.

There is no magic IQ number with which a person can go through a reasonably good college education, but an IQ of around 110 is quite problematic for most college degrees. College majors differ in difficulty level. I looked into the IQ distribution of different majors and have found that the majors that have the highest average IQ scores are:

Physics & Astronomy (133)
Mathematical Sciences (130)
Philosophy (129)
Materials Engineering (129)
Economics (128)
Chemical Engineering (128)
Other Engineering (128)
Mechanical Engineering (126)

This would put the average college student in the above majors (almost) acceptable for Mensa – the high IQ organization that only accepts people within the highest 2 percentiles (IQ of around 132).

The majors with the lowest average IQ scores are:

Administration (107)
Home Economics (106)
Special (106)
Student Counseling (105)
Early Childhood (104)
Social Work (103)

If we assume that a college degree requires an average IQ of 110-115, then it would be reasonable, looking at the IQ distribution of the population, to assume that around 15% of the population should pursue a college degree.

If you stretch it somewhat, maybe 25%. However, at the moment 45% of everyone above the age of 30 has a college degree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Most people shouldn't go to college because their IQ is too low
Posted by: LearningTestnotIntelligence ()
Date: February 13, 2018 05:21PM

IQ is pretty meaningless. People put so much emphasis on it. I know a guy who is a member of Mensa, yet a complete failure in life. He is almost 50 and lives with his parents and can barely hold any job. So what goes does it do? I believe IQ and intelligence are two different things.

Posted by: I’m buzzed ()
Date: February 13, 2018 05:23PM

LearningTestnotIntelligence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IQ is pretty meaningless. People put so much
> emphasis on it. I know a guy who is a member of
> Mensa, yet a complete failure in life. He is
> almost 50 and lives with his parents and can
> barely hold any job. So what goes does it do? I
> believe IQ and intelligence are two different
> things.

Ur right we should just go with cock size like niggers and liberals

Posted by: GlicerinEBAG ()
Date: November 25, 2020 04:42AM

I believe that everyone should be given a chance, regardless of their IQ because we each have the right to choose and you don't even know how those people with low IQ will be able to cope and will do very well. Of course, it will be difficult for those people the first time until they adapt, but after that, it will be much easier. For example, there may be difficulties in doing essays, researches, and papers. In that case, they can resort to essayhave review and it will save them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2020 08:20AM by GlicerinEBAG.

Posted by: Wordsfromyoda ()
Date: November 25, 2020 12:24PM

Of the people I knew who flunked out of college, most had an IQ above average. They were able to skate by through high school on natural intelligence. When they got to college and had to actually work, they couldn't handle it.

The average IQ of Americans is somewhere between 98 and 100 depending on who you get your stats from. If Social Work has an average IQ of 103 that would mean that the average Social Work major is still more naturally intelligent than the Average American.

Posted by: Genius to madness ()
Date: November 25, 2020 12:58PM

Wordsfromyoda Wrote:
> Of the people I knew who flunked out of college,
> most had an IQ above average. They were able to
> skate by through high school on natural
> intelligence. When they got to college and had to
> actually work, they couldn't handle it.
>
> The average IQ of Americans is somewhere between
> 98 and 100 depending on who you get your stats
> from. If Social Work has an average IQ of 103
> that would mean that the average Social Work major
> is still more naturally intelligent than the
> Average American.

I have a full scale WAIS IV score of 145. I did not go straight to college because I am bat shit crazy and I have addiction issues. There is no sense in denying it. Awarenesses of the fucked up nature of reality is depressing. Ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Cardinal rules ()
Date: November 25, 2020 01:26PM

Intelligence doesn’t have anything to do with one’s ability or inability to complete a degree. The only things you need to complete a degree is focus, commitment and the time necessary to study. Less than 30% of the population is even finishing their degree which is a really small subset of the population. On the contrary, I think more people (whom are interested” should going to college. An educated population is always a good thing.

Posted by: Cardinal rules ()
Date: November 25, 2020 01:29PM

I’ll also add that the point of going to university is to get an education in something you are interested in and are competent at. You aren’t there to “prepare” you for the working world. The onus on job training is squarely on employers and they have been allowed to shirk on that responsibility lately. They then have the nerve to bitch and moan about not being able to find people with the skills needed to do the job.

Posted by: kalvinbrown ()
Date: December 01, 2020 07:02AM

GlicerinEBAG Wrote:
> I believe that everyone should be given a chance,
> regardless of their IQ because we each have the
> right to choose and you don't even know how those
> people with low IQ will be able to cope and will
> do very well. Of course, it will be difficult for
> those people the first time until they adapt, but
> after that, it will be much easier. For example,
> there may be difficulties in doing essays,
> researches, and papers. In that case, they can
> resort to
essayhave review and it
> will save them.

Could you tell me some more information about it? Let’s talk in PM.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2020 07:02AM by kalvinbrown.

Posted by: 3ptyp ()
Date: December 04, 2020 12:31PM

It's called "No child left behind" and "common COre" --guaranteeing A grades to everybody regardless of learning capacity or desire to go to college. Why not spend 6 years on the parental dole and federal dole going to college, esp if you could go free as a star athlete? Guaranteed future, no expense or mental ability required.

Posted by: MENSAtard ()
Date: December 04, 2020 12:37PM

IQ really isn’t a great barometer for measuring intellect and isn’t an indicator of past or future success. I know more than one certified member of MENSA who hasn’t done much with their lives outside holding jobs in middle management. Meanwhile, I went to school with a guy who related to the bufalino crime family who was dumb as a rock, yet ran several successful businesses and wrote 3 books. Anyone can do anything if they really want it .

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.