HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
To windows 8 users complaining Windows 10 won't run older software ...
Posted by: the "it's a no no" report ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:14PM

I've seen many complaints of this: my old software doesn't work, microsoft win10 is forcing me to buy new software and even new hardware!

I got two softwares (games) I didn't need to run on Windows 10 to run that were from the 1990's. Two not.

All your Windows 95 era and later software and games SHOULD work: it's not Microsoft's doing.

WHY:

Microsoft TOLD ALL DEVELOPERS VERY CLEARLY to select "32-bit compile" not "16-bit DOS compatible" compile, and that the 32-bit programs could still work in the dos window (or that they should provide/compile both). Many companies either ignored the message or Revolted for no reason and chose 16-bit. I read most of the developer's kit at the time, I remember clearly. The programs which did as suggested in 1995: still work in windows 10.

Your fav software developer screwed you: not Microsoft. Microsoft caused most blue screens but they didn't cause today's most complained about upgrade issue.

(also: your hardware should get new drivers however seedy companies refuse to release code and also refuse to re-release drivers: usually cheap chinese computer parts major companies stuck in. had you got quality parts ie like Intel stuff: it'd still work)

Sure windows had 32-bit version but we all know that means it won't work with NEW software and hardware (so that also isn't a solution) and (as far as i know) won't solve anyone's 16-bit "older software" issues.

Once again: not Microsoft's fault. Blue screens were (rare now). This recent complaint by windows 8 users holding them back: wrong. Microsoft didn't do it, Microsoft actually did a good job preventing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To windows 8 users complaining Windows 10 won't run older software ...
Posted by: correction ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:15PM

Sure windows had 32-bit version ...

Sure Windows 10 has a 32-bit version ...

Posted by: MAGA ()
Date: December 22, 2017 11:30PM

Posted by: GlicerinEBAG ()
Date: February 05, 2020 03:29AM

It's not cool that Microsoft is imposing a new operating system. I was on Windows 8 for a long time and over time I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10. I immediately started having problems with the programs. Many of them stopped working or gave errors. Some I couldn't even find on the PC and I had to use the best uninstallers to search for these files and clean them up. Only after removal and clean installation of the program earned correctly. I was very angry about all this

Posted by: k ()
Date: February 05, 2020 01:24PM

there are 2 kinds of apps which Micrsosoft developers "know" won't work in future:

#1 printing. any developer could tell you microsoft always told developers "not to invest time in writing printing apps because they couldn't be supported in the future"

#2 desktop specific hacks - meaning software that used code specific to the desktop (these features are not in the "normal libraries" and the developer is warned they won't work in the next windows release, thus should ONLY be used as a (small) temporary desktop enhancement app)

so - the authors of those apps likely used "bad hacks they were told not to use"

-----------------------
now for apple - authors are expected to re-release each hardware model each major OS release. and apple stopped supporting one of the libs many apps had used (not without warning) (microsoft hasn't done that to my knowlege)

the good news on apple is your stuff stays working even after it's no longer supported (no forced upgrade per say) - but not upgraded (this means iPhone 5 still works, there are no "mandatory update hooks"). but "bad app companies" release only once, so apple users have to steer clear of paying good money on an app that won't be re-released when the new OS upgrade comes

you can debate if apple's approach (better for users, way worse for developers) is "better"

Posted by: Liquidat1on ()
Date: February 08, 2020 04:43AM

GlicerinEBAG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's not cool that Microsoft is imposing a new operating system. I was on Windows 8 for a long time and over time I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10. I immediately started having problems with the programs. Many of them stopped working or gave errors. Some I couldn't even find on the PC and I had to use the best uninstallers to search for these files and clean them up. Only after removal and clean installation of the program earned correctly. I was very angry about all this.

Is there a real need for an uninstaller? Isn't enough to delete an app from the control panel?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.