HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
library used booksales
Posted by: InvisibleBox ()
Date: November 06, 2009 07:20PM

The Pohick branch had their used booksale today (going on through Sunday) and it was crowded as hell to the point that there was a long line outside before it even started.
I noticed that a good number of people there had these small devices about the size of a cell phone, and that they were being used to scan barcodes on the back of books.

So essentially a lot of the people there were only there to scan books to resell for their own profit later. Not even wanting things for themselves.

Can I just say that I don't particularly mind if people buy as many books or whatever as they want for personal profit later...it just bothers me when you have to carry around a gadget that TELLS you if it's a good book to sell on Amazon or not. Do your damn homework and figure out what other people will pay you more for without the use of scanners.Ugh.

I'm just looking for some good books for my own enjoyment but these folks block every damn aisle with their boxes full of anything that can later make them a profit on ebay or amazon.

Do I have a right to be pissed at these book hoarders or should I think about going into the business myself?

Has anyone else seen obvious resellers at other booksales?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 07:21PM by InvisibleBox.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: library used booksales
Posted by: Britdrnva~ ()
Date: November 06, 2009 11:34PM

They are at every booksale, this trend has been going on for several years now. Namely with the advent of Ebay. I agree with you, but the libraries are just trying to get rid of the books and turn a little helpful cash anyway they can.

I would love to see a rule banning those things. Let anyone in but ban those devices. It wouldn't stop them doing what they do, but it would certainly slow them down and prevent them from gobbling up all the good books before we have a moment to spit.

Posted by: Snapple ()
Date: November 07, 2009 01:09AM

This is the first I've heard of those devices. Why doesn't the library system buy one?

Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: November 07, 2009 01:41AM

are you upset about this device or the fact that there are resellers in this world?

Posted by: free marketeer ()
Date: November 07, 2009 07:20AM

I don't understand the OP's concern. Why give a rat's ass?

Sounds like envy gone nuts.

Don't buy books on e-bay or try to get a better price. If someone buys a "re-sold" book on e-bay, why give a shit?

Btw, there's a kick-ass used book store in old-town Manassas - Prospero's.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 07, 2009 07:52AM

free marketeer Wrote:

> Btw, there's a kick-ass used book store in
> old-town Manassas - Prospero's.

Or McKay's Used Books on Business 234 (just past the Manassas Mall). They also have CD's, DVD's, etc. They used to have one in Centreville, but that closed a couple of years ago.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: November 07, 2009 08:17AM

the real gem in this issue is how outdated paper books have become. A device reads a machine code identifying the books with the best resale profit in seconds. Think of the number of paper pages you would require to have all of that information and the machine does all the work of processing the information!

Gonna be awesome till the first round of EMP nukes - then it will be back to paper.

Posted by: free marketeer ()
Date: November 07, 2009 08:48AM

Warhawk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> free marketeer Wrote:
>
> > Btw, there's a kick-ass used book store in
> > old-town Manassas - Prospero's.
>
>
> Or McKay's Used Books on Business 234 (just past
> the Manassas Mall). They also have CD's, DVD's,
> etc. They used to have one in Centreville, but
> that closed a couple of years ago.

Well, yeah ... but that closed a couple of years ago. It was sloppy and sloppily run too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.