HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bitcoin
Posted by: Charlie Schrem ()
Date: September 04, 2017 10:56AM

Anybody ever buy Bitcoin or use Bitcoin? The price of Bitcoin has skyrocketed over the summer. Wondering if anyone here has experience with it. PS Netflix has a decent documentary Banking on Bitcoin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bitcoin
Posted by: CryptoCurrency ()
Date: September 04, 2017 12:37PM

Yes. I have amassed some bitcoin over the last few years just for the heck of it. There are a couple of vendors that I deal with tht accept it as a form of payment.

The story of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies in general is fascinating. The underlying technology is going to go into wide use in the next few years.

I don't know when or if I will cash out the bitcoin holdings I have but it has been interesting to see its "Value" increase.

There are some ATMs in the area where you can purchase Bitcoin. Use the app CoinATMRadar to locate them and see if they are online or not and what exchange rates they use.

The Website Zerohedge.com often has news about cryptofinance, etc.

There are other documentaries on Netflix (or at least there used to be)that are interesting and informative.

Bitcoin is not anonymous, contrary to what most people think.

Interesting stuff. Rule nummber one ... back up your biitcoin wallet when you do actually get some BTC in it. When it is gone, it is gone forever.

Posted by: lrdddd ()
Date: September 04, 2017 12:54PM

can you buy less than a whole bitcoin?

Date: September 04, 2017 01:05PM

Yes, you can buy fractions of a Bitcoin. It goes down to like 6 or 8 decimal places.

You can buy it online at exchanges (such as coinbase.com) You set up an account there, you will have to provide ID. You can provide banking information as you would for an electronic funds transfer (EFT). When you get approved, etc, you can buy some for whatever dollar amount you want (up to 3,000 dollars I think ... there is a daily limit) and it the purchase will go through at the exchange rte at the time of the transaction. It does impose a multi-day waiting period until the BTC is available in your wallet. When you set up an account there (or at other BTC exchannges) you get a "wallet". This wallet s online and on their servers. Once the BTC is bought and available in that wallet, you can send it to your own wallet which exists on your phone or PC. You 'send" the money from the coinbase wallet to the one on your phone.

It is all on the up & up. Coinbase is reputable.

HVM

Posted by: FeesFeesFeesFeesFeesFeesFeesFees ()
Date: September 04, 2017 03:01PM

And the exchanges are full of fees and spread manipulations. Not even counting all of the scams and ripoffs out there.

Interesting generally but there's little point in doing it unless you're doing something sketchy or speculating.

Coinbase Pricing & Fees Disclosures

Jun 30, 2017
Virtual Currency Transfer Fees

In general, Coinbase does not charge a fee to use our Hosted Digital Currency Wallet service. Transfers of virtual currency to an address off the Coinbase platform may incur network transaction fees, such as bitcoin miner’s fees, which Coinbase may pass through to you. Any such transfer fees will be disclosed to you at the time of the transaction.

Conversion Fees & Rate

Your exchange rate for buying or selling digital currency through our Conversion Service is calculated as the market rate of the digital currency on Coinbase’s GDAX platform, plus a spread of up to 50 basis points. In rare circumstances, the market rate from GDAX may not be available due to outages or scheduled maintenance. In order to provide you with uninterrupted services at such time, we may derive market pricing data from unaffiliated digital currency exchanges. Rates quoted in these circumstances are subject to spread exceeding 50 basis points. The final rate will be quoted to you before you complete your transaction.

We charge fees (“Conversion Fees”) to use the Conversion Service, which vary based on your location, payment method, and other circumstances. In some cases we may charge an additional fee on transfers to and from your bank account. We will always notify you of Conversion Fees and any other service fees that apply to your transaction, both at the time of the transaction and in each receipt we issue to you. Unless otherwise disclosed to you at the time of your transaction, the conversion fee you pay is calculated as the greater of:

(a) Minimum fee — a flat fee that applies to conversion transactions under $200, and which is disclosed before you execute the transaction.

(b) Percentage fee — varies by region and payment type, as follows:

Australia

Credit / Debit Card Buys
3.99%
Canada

Credit / Debit Card Buys
3.99%
Europe

Standard Buy / Sell Credit / Debit Card Buys Bank transfers (SEPA) - in / out*
1.49% 3.99% Free / €0.15
Singapore

Buy / Sell Credit / Debit Card Buys
1.49% 3.99%
UK

Standard Buy / Sell Credit / Debit Card Buys Bank wires - in / out * Bank transfers (SEPA) - in / out *
1.49% 3.99% N / A Free / €0.15
USA

Base rate of 4% for all transactions**

Payment Method for Purchase Effective Rate of Conversion Fee (after waiver)
U.S. Bank Account 1.49%, with a $0.15 minimum
Coinbase USD Wallet 1.49%
Credit/Debit Card 3.99%
Payout Method for Sale Effective Rate of Conversion Fee (after waiver)
U.S. Bank Account 1.49%, with a $0.15 minimum
Coinbase USD Wallet 1.49%
PayPal 3.99%

Posted by: Stanley UU ()
Date: February 25, 2020 06:42AM

Good afternoon! If you want to trade Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency I can share good exchange website for you. Here is a link - https://bitniex.com/ It works really fast and provides low fees. You can make any operations right now!

Posted by: Gigip ()
Date: June 04, 2021 05:20AM

No, I have never tried it, but I'm really interested in cryptocurrency now. I feel quite nervous as I don't want to make a mistake and lose everything there... I have already read a lot of different articles about binance and many other crucial things, but I still have some questions. Guys, what do you think about Skrill? I have heard that it's a very good and trustworthy wallet, but I want to hear your real opinion.

Posted by: Mt. Gox ()
Date: June 04, 2021 07:11AM

Don't come crying to me when Bitcoin crashes and you lose all your shit.

Posted by: Monara ()
Date: August 12, 2021 08:56PM

As someone who made lots of money on Bitcoin, I can tell you that it's never late to invest in it. Once you made some money, though, trading some btc to ltc is a good way to diversify your holdings. Remember to only use trusted exchanges that won't scam you for your coins, as it's not worth it to chase the best exchange rates while sacrificing safety.

Posted by: Bad JuJu ()
Date: August 12, 2021 09:05PM

Don't forget this fact, when your wallet is hacked, you can't get it back- Bitcoin.

Posted by: Machemaio ()
Date: August 27, 2021 07:47AM

Bitcoin is not one of the best investments at the moment. Its technology is the worst of all cryptocurrencies. Pseudo decentralization and full control of the network with antmain and bitmain. Moreover, the market is too speculative. Especially for a complete understanding of investing in cryptocurrency, I read BD. Everything is described in great detail there.

Posted by: Buck Fiden ()
Date: August 27, 2021 10:21AM

Bitcoin has two big problems:
(1)Who do you call to get your money back if you believe you have been defrauded on a transaction?
(2)Bitcoin fluctuates and no FDIC protection on the downside.
Use credit cards and PayPal instead.

Posted by: Swanpath ()
Date: November 08, 2021 11:05AM

Good day everyone! I buy and change cryptocurrency through online exchangers. It is always important for me to know this is the reserves of exchangers and the conditions that exchangers offer. I Buy crypto on Switchere. The exchangers are automatically sorted by the rate, with the best rates on the top. To select an exchanger, you can immediately check its reserves and reviews. To exchange money, click on the exchanger you choose and go to its website. It's simple and convenient.

Posted by: DIE SPAMMER!!!!! ()
Date: November 25, 2022 11:45PM

Swanpath Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good day everyone! I buy and change cryptocurrency
> through online exchangers. It is always important
> for me to know this is the reserves of exchangers
> and the conditions that exchangers offer. I Buy
> crypto on
> Switchere. The
> exchangers are automatically sorted by the rate,
> with the best rates on the top. To select an
> exchanger, you can immediately check its reserves
> and reviews. To exchange money, click on the
> exchanger you choose and go to its website. It's
> simple and convenient.

Keep your shitty malware-infested links off this site

Eat shit and die spammer

file.php?40,file=495505,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamyfile.php?40,file=485077,filename=BBC10.g
file.php?40,file=494999,filename=_steamy

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.