HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Power Mat
Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: October 22, 2009 02:28AM

yo whats the deal with these power mats? the wireless charging station (for those that arent in the know). whats the point? i didnt think it was that hard to plug the charger into my phone. it took me a little while to figure out that you have to align the arrows. and to charge multiple things at once, whats wrong with a power strip? let me know what you think of these and if you have one why? and tell me how bad ass it is. yo

this message has been brought to you by when life gots you by the balls, you say, you can have my balls. 7eMo/|/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Mat
Date: October 22, 2009 02:28AM

and another thing i liked was the green glow

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: October 22, 2009 02:34AM

I saw an ad in the last Wired magazine, and I'm probably going to get one eventually.

I've heard about induction charging for the last 10 years, and I can agree that there is some utility in it.

You need to replace the battery cover on your phone, ipod, portable device, etc, but once you do, you just place your device on the pad and it will start charging.

It's much better than having to have several cords that you need to match up to each device. Or finding an outlet for each device.

When I first read about induction charging, years ago, the promise was of having a flat surface like a countertop or desk where you could just drop any hand held device on the surface and have it recharge. I don't think the powermat is quite there yet, but it's a step forward.

BTW, both of your examples look more like "cord management systems". They appear to have plugs that each device needs to match up to.

Powermat looks like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 02:37AM by Thurston Moore.
Attachments:
powermat-display.jpg

Date: October 22, 2009 02:45AM

some things just dont need to be easier

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: October 22, 2009 02:50AM

Powermat charger frees you from pesky wires
http://dvice.com/archives/2009/10/powermat-charge.php

We want wireless everything. But most examples of wireless electricity using induction are just experimental. One vaporous promise just came true: Powermat, a thin platform on which you place three of your favorite gadgets and they charge up as if by magic. Get out your $100 for the charger, and $40 for each one of the cases you place on a device, which makes the miracle happen.

If you can’t model the past, where you know the answer pretty well, how can you model the future? - William Happer Cyrus Fogg Brackett Professor of Physics Princeton University

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:07AM

Registered Voter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Powermat charger frees you from pesky wires
> http://dvice.com/archives/2009/10/powermat-charge.
> php
>
>
> We want wireless everything. But most examples of
> wireless electricity using induction are just
> experimental. One vaporous promise just came true:
> Powermat, a thin platform on which you place three
> of your favorite gadgets and they charge up as if
> by magic. Get out your $100 for the charger, and
> $40 for each one of the cases you place on a
> device, which makes the miracle happen.
> ...
>

That's why I'm not running out tomorrow to get the powermat.

Eventually, it will be built in to whatever device you buy, and the powermat will be like a toaster, something you already have.

The $100 for the powermat is reasonable, but the $40 per device part makes it just a little bit cost prohibitive for unversal adoption. Not to mention the 3 device limit.

Once it is an entire surface like a kitchen counter or a desk top, and every (or most) devices are preconfigured for it, then I'm all in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The function of conservatives is not to meet every liberal program or scheme with a denunciation or a destructive counterscheme, but rather to weigh its advantages and defects, supporting the first and challenging the second. A declaration of ideological warfare against liberalism is by its nature profoundly unconservative. It meets perceived radicalism with a counterradicalism of its own.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: October 22, 2009 07:40AM

Power Mat - When you're too lazy to use a cord.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 22, 2009 08:53AM

I like it, but since I have to buy a new battery pack for each device, the cost is just way too expensive for something I can already do...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.