HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Quiting Smoking....
Posted by: bloody blisters ()
Date: August 17, 2009 11:58PM

any advice? i have a so called addictive personality so i dont want the gum or patches (i dont need another thing to get hooked on, crack is enough for me). i heard moving to a different place helps fight the urge, new place new habits, but i dont want top move either. any other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quiting Smoking....
Posted by: 4 BB ()
Date: August 17, 2009 11:59PM

Stop being such a bizarre troll should be your first priority.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:01AM

Every time you crave a fag, do 20 push-ups...

Date: August 18, 2009 12:04AM

4 BB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stop being such a bizarre troll should be your
> first priority.

alright i'll admit i have a problem that is the first step. but this is no trolling question. i do have a smoking habit i want to kick. on a side note is being a bizarre troll different than a regular one? am i in a new league of sllort?

Posted by: Thurston Moore ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:26AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> 4 BB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Stop being such a bizarre troll should be your
> > first priority.
>
>
> alright i'll admit i have a problem that is the
> first step. but this is no trolling question. i do
> have a smoking habit i want to kick. on a side
> note is being a bizarre troll different than a
> regular one? am i in a new league of sllort?

A regular troll posts anonymously. Bizarre trolls post valid questions using a registered name that they use regularly. Apparently.

Try Zyban, it is wellbutrin, relabled for smoking cessation. It's an "anti anxiety" drug. You take it for 6 months, but after about a week, or maybe as soon as a few days you won't have the desire for a cigarette.

Just be honest with the doctor about how much you drink, I think there are side affects for people who drink excessively. Tell him how much you drink and he'll be able to decide if it's safe for you.

I was a chain smoker, and took Zyban in 2005. I quit for over 3 years. I did a stupid thing and during a stressful period in my life I intentionally had a smoke, out of anger, not desire or need, and now I'm a chain smoker again.

I'm probably going to use Zyban again shortly, and this time I'm not going to be an idiot and try to spite a soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend by smoking a cigarette. She is probably happy and care free, I'm the moron smoking cigarettes again.

Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:32AM

I've been hesitant to ask ... but, Yahweh, any success with this?

Date: August 18, 2009 12:33AM

oh weird. there are no addictive properties to this Zyban? you dont start to NEED Zyban to not smoke? if i have to choose between being hooked on cigarettes or Rx drugs i would choose cigarettes.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: August 18, 2009 01:00AM

I tried wellbutrin for a while and I lost my ability to get a hard-on... beware of pharmaceuticals...

I strongly urge that you find the discipline within yourself to solve your problem...

Date: August 18, 2009 01:02AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> oh weird. there are no addictive properties to
> this Zyban? you dont start to NEED Zyban to not
> smoke? if i have to choose between being hooked on
> cigarettes or Rx drugs i would choose cigarettes.

My doctor gave me a 6 month prescription then told me to come back and get a second 6 month prescription in 6 months, and to then come back another 6 months later to determine if I needed a third.

I was too lazy to get the second 6 month prescription. I kept the very last pill from the first prescription as some sort of "insurance" against starting smoking again.

For whatever reason, wellbutrin isn't addictive. It seems to work on higher level receptors in your brain, or whatever, and you don't get a buzz or any significant reward that would make you desire it.

I had to create a calendar alarm on my phone to remind me to take it each day.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:09AM

Harry Tuttle Wrote:
> I tried wellbutrin for a while and I lost my
> ability to get a hard-on... beware of
> pharmaceuticals...
>
> I strongly urge that you find the discipline
> within yourself to solve your problem...

I dislike pharmaceuticals, too. But if you had a problem getting an erection, it might have been coincidental.

I don't like all the restless leg and copd drug commercials, and if I can do something without taking a pill or can find a homeopathic alternative, I'll choose that route.

But Zyban worked for me, and I know a half dozen other people who have also quit smoking using Zyban.

Okay, here's a solution: investigate what it is that Zyban acts on in the brain, and then find a natural or herbal or homeopathic alternative. I believe there must be something that can do it. I was just too lazy to do the research. Zyban was available, my medical insurance covered it (minus the $5 deductible) and I had 3 friends who had used it and told me (and I could observe) that it worked.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:09AM

so if you forget to take it you will go right back to having cravings?

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: August 18, 2009 01:18AM

][

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 11:44PM by Alias.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:25AM

it not as easy as just stopping, no one likes cold turkey in there soup, i dont like buying drugs to take the space of other drugs just not right in my books. good ol bulle ti inel goon will do the trick

Date: August 18, 2009 01:26AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> so if you forget to take it you will go right back
> to having cravings?

I missed a pill a few times in 6 months. The instructions are to just wait until the next time you're supposed to take a pill, and not to "double dose".

Once I stopped craving cigarettes, I just stopped craving cigarettes. And I was a seriously heavy chain smoker. I smoked 2 packs a day, 3 or 4 if I went out drinking.

Do the research, ask your doctor. It's not a horrible way to quit smoking. Google is your friend.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:27AM

Alias Wrote:
> Thurston,
>
> Just stop smoking.
>
> I've never liked that part of you. I can't get
> near you without smelling that shit.
>
> Just put the fucking cigarette down, Thurston.

But you obviously like me enough to keep smelling that shit.

I can't just put the cigarette down. I'm addicted.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:37AM

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 11:44PM by Alias.

Date: August 18, 2009 01:45AM

Alias Wrote:
> No.. I don't like you that much.
>
> Go on some SSRI or wellbutrin, or, whatever drug
> is out there.
>
> Just stop killing yourself.

I can't argue with that.

In the meantime, I make sure I eat right and take the appropriate supplements to offset the damage smoking is doing to me. (A, C, D, E, all the B's, milk thistle, CoQ10, and a bunch of other antioxidants and herbal supplments).

Date: August 18, 2009 01:56AM

]=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 11:42PM by Alias.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 18, 2009 01:57AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> i dont like buying drugs to take the space of other drugs

actually, that's not how it works. wellbutrin doesnt take the place of nicotine, it keeps your serotonin levels within the norm, no boosting it above normal levels like nicotine and other addictions do. drugs like nicotine cause a rollercoaster effect in your serotonin levels. goes up when you smoke and drops when you arent. when you start getting low, you brain goes, "oh, i know how to fix this" and makes you crave a cigarette. so instead of going up and down, you stay on nice strait track. after a while, your brain readjusts back to it's normal state when you are on the strait track naturally.

isnt science great?

file.php?40,file=6438
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: David Forde. ()
Date: August 18, 2009 03:52AM

i thought wellbutrin was an anti-depressant that had the effect of making people not want to smoke anymore. it definitely wasnt made as an anti-smoking pill.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: August 18, 2009 06:16AM

White knuckle it. When the cravings come focus on something else and they'll pass in a couple of minutes.

Two weeks of hell and you'll be free.

(from my experience)

good luck.

Posted by: James Frey ()
Date: August 18, 2009 08:40AM

I've been smober since 7/5/09. Even joined a gym yesterday. You DO eat more. I've never done something like eat an entire plate of pasta. But I do now. Then look around to see what else there is to eat...then desert.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/209455/210289.html#msg-210289

Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:02PM

oaktonmom Wrote:
> I've been hesitant to ask ... but, Yahweh, any
> success with this?

I bought a pack this morning. Ive been smoking on and off for weeks. Sorry to let everyone down:(
Maybe tomorrow...

Date: August 18, 2009 12:18PM

Hey ... been there, done that. Believe me, when I was finally able to completely quit there were many tears involved in the process, but pregnancy gave me no other option. Keep trying and good luck.

Date: August 18, 2009 12:26PM

oakton mom is back! Where you been? Have you seen Melissa?

Date: August 18, 2009 04:00PM

i didnt realize that a "Quiting smoking" thread was like the "how to beat possession of marijuana charge" there are so many of them. thanks for the advice. maybe i'll drop cigarettes and just start up pot again € it's healthier.

Date: August 18, 2009 05:58PM

:) I've been lurking. I don't have the energy for the political debates so I just read and smile. No Melissa sightings ... I hope we hear from her soon.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:21PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> i didnt realize that a "Quiting smoking" thread
> was like the "how to beat possession of marijuana
> charge" there are so many of them. thanks for the
> advice. maybe i'll drop cigarettes and just start
> up pot again € it's healthier.

Yeah, and smoking pot also relieves hypertension and lowers your blood pressure. Smoking cigarettes can sometimes cause those things.

Date: August 18, 2009 09:25PM

im more of a fan of the ritualistic bleeding to lower blood pressure. it also helps you lose a pound or 2.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: August 18, 2009 11:59PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> any advice? i have a so called addictive
> personality so i dont want the gum or patches (i
> dont need another thing to get hooked on, crack is
> enough for me). i heard moving to a different
> place helps fight the urge, new place new habits,
> but i dont want top move either. any other
> suggestions?

Try visiting an oncology ward in a hospital.

If that's not possible, think about this. You know that sound you hear when the coffee pot is almost done brewing, and it's trying to suck up the last little bit of water in the reservoir? That sort of gurgling sound? That's the sound that people with lung cancer make when they're in their final weeks as they struggle to get air. I've heard it personally and it haunts me. These people are on pure oxygen and are getting oxygen saturation rates in the 70's (should be >90% on regular air for healthy people.) They are literally suffocating on pure oxygen.

Also, one dark secret that needs to be revealed to all is that people with lung cancer usually get all sorts of other horrific symptoms, like blindness, horrible phantom pain, and paralysis (I know of one patient who became a paraplegic in the last 2 weeks of their life). This is because the tumors frequently end up compressing the spinal column which leads to all sorts of havoc.

There are good and bad ways to die. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Lung cancer is probably one of the worst. 90% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking. Never starting, or quitting if you smoke, is the best way to stop.

With that in mind. I'd use acupuncture, voodoo, the patch, I'd use the gum, I'd use both. I'd do just about anything short of smoking another cigarette.

I'm not trying to be Mr.Dark. But if one person reads this and even thinks about quitting...I'd be happy.

http://www.becomeanex.org/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 12:03AM by trogdor!.

Date: August 19, 2009 12:06AM

i understand the scare tactic. but i dont smoke the multiple packs a day to get the severe problems. i know smoking anything isnt healthy. but i do not have a hack, gurgle, or tumor that i know of

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: August 19, 2009 12:10AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> i understand the scare tactic. but i dont smoke
> the multiple packs a day to get the severe
> problems. i know smoking anything isnt healthy.
> but i do not have a hack, gurgle, or tumor that i
> know of

Glad to hear it....

But that's beside the point, you've taken the first step in wanting to quit. Check out the site I provided. It's a pretty good one.

Posted by: Melissa ()
Date: August 19, 2009 01:08AM

Aw, shucks! I feel so loved!

On topic, I, too, broke down and bought a pack yesterday after dealing with that bitch-whore I wasted four years of my life with. Funny how we end up punishing ourselves when we are angry with others.... I just smoked the last one from the pack on the way back from the Nats game, and I'm not buying another pack tomorrow.

Mind over matter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being vague is almost as fun as that other thing.

Date: August 19, 2009 01:15AM

well i've quit buying them. but if i see someone with one i have to fight myself not to ask for one. and driving, ooh for get it, i have to smoke. i dont drive the same if i am not smoking.

Date: August 19, 2009 01:41AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> well i've quit buying them. but if i see someone
> with one i have to fight myself not to ask for
> one. and driving, ooh for get it, i have to smoke.
> i dont drive the same if i am not smoking.

people that go "cold turkey" are far more likely to relapse than someone who used medication to quit.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: August 19, 2009 01:48AM

true but what about easing off of it. lets say i smoke 10 a day the next day i'll smoke 7 the next day ill smoke 4 and so on. as long as you are slowly decreasing the increments you will eventually reach you goal right? it not just straight up CT but an easement plan

Date: August 19, 2009 02:06AM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> true but what about easing off of it. lets say i
> smoke 10 a day the next day i'll smoke 7 the next
> day ill smoke 4 and so on. as long as you are
> slowly decreasing the increments you will
> eventually reach you goal right? it not just
> straight up CT but an easement plan

That won't work.

There may be a few people who can do that, but there's also a few people who can smoke a pack of cigarettes or two the two or three times they go out drinking each year, and who don't smoke any other time.

If you smoke regularly, you are addicted to nicotine. You can't just "wean yourself off it". I know the patch makes that claim, but the patch is also not the most effective method.

Trust me, I've tried a bunch of methods. The only ones that work are the ones that get you to a point where you wake up one day and just don't smoke. Whether it's the acupressure on the ear lobe method, or the hypnosis, or Zyban. Once you have the first cigarette of the day, you are going to have another. You can try your best to only have 10 one day, then 5 the next, or whatever, but once you have a smoke, you have triggered all the processes and thoughts and desires that will make it hard to limit how many you smoke.

I quit for over 3 years, and all it took was ONE SINGLE cigarette in a moment of distress. The next morning, I had all the same cravings and the panic that I needed to go and buy a pack right away before I could function, and so forth.

I really don't know why people are hesitant to try zyban. I'm against the "pill popping" mentality, the "one pill can cure it all" mentality, and all, but if you've gone through a whole slew of "smoking cessation" schemes only to continue smoking, and there is this pill that doesn't force you to stop smoking, or do anything other than make you feel just a teeny bit happier than you did before you took it, and it allows you to choose to not smoke, why not try it?

If I remember correctly, the instructions in the kit said to take zyban for up to a week, and keep smoking as you usually do, but then once you feel comfortable, pick a day to just not smoke. Then once you haven't smoked for a day, reassess your situation.

I found that after 3 days of taking it, I just didn't think about smoking, I didn't get anxious and need a cigarette, I didn't get jittery, I didn't obsess about taking a "smoke break", and after eating I had no desire to smoke.

I know the drug companies create new drugs and then spend millions advertising to people to convince them that they need this pill because their leg shakes, or their eyes are dry, or the allergy medication they already take isn't effective (but nevermind that this one might lead to heart failure or sleep driving or halitosis). Zyban just makes you stop smoking.

Fuck it. Try it. If you get addicted to Zyban, you'll become the happiest and most productive junkie with no side effects.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 02:10AM by Thurston Moore.

Date: August 19, 2009 02:11AM

\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 12:19AM by Alias.

Date: August 19, 2009 02:14AM

im just taking in all my options

Date: August 19, 2009 02:57AM

+1 to what Thurston Moore said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2009 03:00AM by Gravis.

Date: August 19, 2009 03:06AM

Gravis Wrote:
>
> i still think medication is a better idea, not to
> mention easier.

I am the biggest cynic about medication. And I am advocating, just this one time, for this one purpose, the use of medication.

I understand the reluctance to resort to a prescription if there is an alternative that doesn't require a prescription.

Oh, wait. I just figured it out.

No, the doctor isn't going to make you take a piss test before giving you the prescription for Zyban. I went to my family practice doctor, he asked me why I wanted to quit smoking, and then gave me this speech about how researchers can now spot future smokers in a classroom of first graders, since smoking is more prevalent among those who are nervous, or whatever. I didn't really get all of that. Then he explained the processes and purposes of using an anti-anxiety pill to stop smoking. (I guess that first graders thing was a prelude to his explanation).

I never had to piss in a cup, or take a blood test. I kept my clothes on the entire time, there were no lubed up rubber glove covered fingers stuck in any of my orifices. He talked to me for about 10 minutes, and then handed me the scrip.

Date: August 19, 2009 03:09AM

what the point of going to a doctor if you dont get all the bells whistles

Date: August 19, 2009 03:09AM

Thurston Moore Wrote:
> I understand the reluctance to resort to a
> prescription if there is an alternative that
> doesn't require a prescription.

i dont.

Date: August 19, 2009 03:23AM

Gravis Wrote:
> Thurston Moore Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I understand the reluctance to resort to a
> > prescription if there is an alternative that
> > doesn't require a prescription.
>
> i dont.

If you have the "common cold" and know that you can just take a lot of vitamin C and zinc and echinacea, and wait it out, why would you go to the doctor?

If you can take a simple supplement to lessen the effects of an allergy, and that works for you, why bother with all the side effects that some prescription drug might give you?

I'm of the belief that you always try to solve a problem with the least intrusive or least harsh method first. If you have a stain on your rug, you don't rush into things and pour bleach on it. At first, you try to blot it up, then you try water and a little soap, then you try hydrogen peroxide and water, then you resort to bleach.

Less is more. That's unAmerican to say so, especially during a recession, but less is more practical than more.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 05, 2009 01:44PM

bloody blisters Wrote:
> any advice? i have a so called addictive
> personality so i dont want the gum or patches (i
> dont need another thing to get hooked on, crack is
> enough for me). i heard moving to a different
> place helps fight the urge, new place new habits,
> but i dont want top move either. any other
> suggestions?

I could have sworn you claimed to be 15. Why is a 15 year old addicted to smoking? What type of degenerate family environment do you live in?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.