HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Well, that's the end of AC/DC
Posted by: Rest in Pieces ()
Date: April 17, 2016 10:51AM

Axel Rose of Guns N Roses to replace sickly Brian Johnson.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/17/entertainment/axl-rose-joins-acdc-for-world-tour/index.html

Axel Rose couldn't carry Brian Johnson's socks.

Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose will be joining AC/DC for its "Rock or Bust" world tour -- including rescheduled U.S. dates.

Rose is replacing AC/DC singer Brian Johnson, according to a statement posted Saturday on the band's website. Johnson had been advised by doctors in March "to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss."
"We understand, respect and support Brian's decision to...save his hearing," said the statement. The band also thanked him for his contributions and dedication to their music throughout the years.
Johnson joined AC/DC in 1980, after the death of original singer Bon Scott. Their first album together, "Back in Black" became AC/DC's biggest selling record and is considered a hard rock classic.
Rose, who has fronted Guns N' Roses since 1985, will tour this summer with the reunited band that includes former members Slash and Duff McKagan.
AC/DC's tour with Axl Rose is set to begin May 7 in Lisbon Portugal. Following a European run with the band through June 12, Rose will then go back to the Guns N' Roses "Not in This Lifetime" summer stadium tour.
The band says to expect an announcement soon on rescheduling the 10 U.S. dates for AC/DC that will include Rose at the microphone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Well, that's the end of AC/DC
Posted by: nJN7j ()
Date: April 17, 2016 06:37PM

Jezus.......that's the best they could find to replace the most important guy in the band?

Yes, this could be the end.

Posted by: Big mistake ()
Date: April 17, 2016 07:09PM

Damn, I just lost a ton of respect for AC/DC. Whaxl is a poser.

Posted by: 9VWN7 ()
Date: April 17, 2016 08:20PM

Axl Rose, in his prime was a far bigger name than Brian Johnson ever was. AC/DC has had lasting power but in their primes GnR was far bigger than AC/DC ever was.

Axl Rose may have been a bigger baby but GnR put on the best shows in the 80's/early 90's.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: April 17, 2016 08:58PM

Guy is a professional singer. He must ply his trade. He probably had a choice between soprano in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or AD/DC. All you haters, if you were him which would you choose?

Nip

Posted by: Mr. Brownstone ()
Date: April 17, 2016 08:59PM

Could be interesting to give it a try. They're all too old for this anyhow.

Date: April 17, 2016 09:03PM

Yes it is. We have moved on, though.

The people's new form of tunes come from the burgeoning hip-hop community, with a massive multitude of artists and chart-topping songs now. It's the new era.

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: April 17, 2016 09:08PM

Mr. Brownstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could be interesting to give it a try. They're all
> too old for this anyhow.

True but for guys like Axel this is his retirement. He's already spent the GnR money ten times over. Good luck Axel Rock On.

Nip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2016 09:09PM by NippleChuck.

Posted by: XnpcY ()
Date: April 17, 2016 09:22PM

Guns N' Roses are doing a reunion tour. They will make bank. All their fans that were between 10-30 back in the 80's (myself included, born in 1979) are now older and have spending power to go pay for ridiculously overpriced tickets.

Posted by: K6xCW ()
Date: April 17, 2016 09:43PM

As best as I can remember ( I spent my youth with Led Zeppelin and The Who) Guns-n-Roses had like one hit song....."Sweet Child of Mine". Everything else was crap. This will be the beginning of the end for AC/DC.

Posted by: Rock dad ()
Date: April 17, 2016 10:31PM

Posted by: Got the chops ()
Date: April 17, 2016 10:39PM

Make sure you watch him crush "Paradise city"

Posted by: Bam bam ()
Date: April 17, 2016 10:52PM

What did you kid do today?

http://youtu.be/Kiq9HDUkNxg

Posted by: tgif ()
Date: April 18, 2016 06:23AM

Will axl show up at any shows?

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: April 18, 2016 07:27AM

You're right. They only had Sweet Child...

And...

Welcome to the jungle
Paradise city
Mr brownstone
Patience
Don't cry
Estranged
November rain
You could be mine
Knocking on heavens door (cover)
Live and Let Die (Cover)
Used to Love Her

...and that's only their big stuff. Guns n Roses were THE big, stadium filling band of their era. They certainly weren't Led Zeppelin, but in the short time they were together they amassed a pretty nice catalog.

K6xCW Wrote:
> As best as I can remember ( I spent my youth with
> Led Zeppelin and The Who) Guns-n-Roses had like
> one hit song....."Sweet Child of Mine". Everything
> else was crap. This will be the beginning of the
> end for AC/DC.

Posted by: NoTea ()
Date: April 18, 2016 08:29AM

Axl is only joining AC/DC for 5 weeks to finish off their current tour because Brian is at risk of losing his hearing if hecontinues. Axl will leave AC/DC in June to start the GnR Tour. At this point, he is not going to be a permanent member of AC/DC.

Posted by: Appetite ()
Date: April 18, 2016 09:13AM

Que? Wrote:
> Guns n Roses were THE big, stadium filling band of their era.

They were literally the biggest band on the planet for about 5 years. Their hits were huge, they had major (daily) airplay on MTV, and probably not a week went by during 88-93 without them being mentioned in the news. Sorta like the way Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber have gotten attention this decade. AC/DC always had a huge fan base but they were never at the same level of stardom that G'n'R was.

Posted by: King.Lerxst ()
Date: April 18, 2016 10:36AM

K6xCW Wrote:
> As best as I can remember ( I spent my youth with
> Led Zeppelin and The Who) Guns-n-Roses had like
> one hit song....."Sweet Child of Mine". Everything
> else was crap. This will be the beginning of the
> end for AC/DC.

Dude, I don't usually do this for bands that entered the world after 1970 (slobber all over them) but close your eyes and think back to July 21, 1987. That's the day that "Appetite For Destruction" went off like a fucking bombshell, not only in the band's backyard of LA but, all...over...global suburbia. This band with that album took hard rock from the outhouses to the ivory towers. People who had never listened to a hard rock album or bought a hard rock album...bought and listened to this album. Much like Frampton's Come Alive album 11 years earlier, if you lived in the suburbs in 1987, they handed out copies of "Appetite For Destruction" when you moved into the neighborhood.

Every track on that album was and is bonafide. It still sounds fresh today. I listened to that album so many times, it's one of the few CDs I've ever had to replace due to wear. From 1987-1990, there was nobody more on the tip of the spear of hard rock than Guns and Roses, except maybe Van Halen.

Now then...what's hard to not ignore, what tends to dominate the Guns and Roses story, is the fact that those guys were just not built for rock and roll as a corporate enterprise. In a 24 hour day, they spent 23 hours living it up, 30 minutes sleeping and 30 minutes on their music...on a good day. Overall, they flared up to great heights quickly, couldn't manage the success and excess...and flamed out. I still say that Slash is one of the most underappreciated guitarists in rock history. That dude can flat out play.

I saw them twice. Once on the Appetite Tour and once on the Use Your Illusion Tour...and both times the band took the stage a full three hours after the scheduled start of the show. And I'm allowing 30 minutes for the opening act and 30 minutes for stage turn. The tickets said 8 o'clock...and then went on well after 11pm.

I've seen The Who 6 times, I've seen RUSH 8 times...I've been to over a hundred rock shows in my life and nobody has ever taken the stage that late. And again, we're talking about a band who when I saw them had released 2 albums. They were not a legendary act at that time...some would say they never have been; that's cool.

Hey, I'm all about the opening act stretching things out a bit...darkening the house for 10-12 minutes while the audience's anticipation builds waiting for the headlining act but...three hours? That ain't rock and roll. That's not respectful of your audience, who pay good money to buy tickets, albums and gear. Again...you don't have to kiss my ass, but don't keep me waiting 3 hours.

Now then...Axl "taking over" for Brian Johnson? That band was lucky to catch lightning in a bottle twice finding Brian Johnson who sounded so much like the dear, departed Bon Scott. I mean, has AC/DC and their management heard Axl recently? The man can't sing anymore. He can't sing anymore because he insisted on blasting out his vocal chords night after night 30 years ago and wasn't willing to do the necessary post-concert and daily therapy to take proper care of his moneymaker...his voice. I bought "Chinese Democracy" the day it came out, listened to it once and returned it for partial credit as a used CD.

I respect that bands like AC/DC and others of the era still have fans who still want to pay that good money to see their heroes, even if they are long removed from their heyday. If fans want to see you and will fill the arena...fine...have at thee! But, even in his prime Axl couldn't hold a candle to Brian Johnson.

The truly sad part of Johnson's hearing loss is...is that it's not from the music. He's a gearhead who enjoys his racecars, most of which don't have mufflers...tough to keep your hearing with your head in an engine bay.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.