HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Trump apologizes to Pope Francis
Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: February 19, 2016 04:21PM

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/19/politics/donald-trump-pope-francis/

Trump-liberty.jpg

Nobody wants to tangle with the Pope -- not even Donald Trump.

One of the more unlikely battles to jolt a presidential campaign emerged Thursday when Pope Francis said Trump is "not Christian" if he wants to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Trump, true to form, shot back that the pontiff's comments were "disgraceful."

But by Thursday evening, the GOP front-runner was doing something unusual: de-escalating a fight.

"I don't like fighting with the Pope," Trump said at a GOP town hall in South Carolina hosted by CNN. "I like his personality; I like what he represents."

Trump called the Pope a "wonderful guy" and blamed the day's drama on the press.

Donald Trump responds to the Pope's comments

Donald Trump responds to the Pope's comments 02:16
"I don't think this is a fight," Trump said. "I think he said something much softer than was originally reported by the media."

Trump added he would meet with the Pope "anytime he wants."

On Friday, a Vatican spokesman said that, although the reporter at the papal press conference asked Francis specifically about Trump, the Pope's answer should be interpreted more generally.

"It didn't intend to be in any way neither a personal attack nor an indication in how to vote," the Rev. Federico Lombardi told Vatican Radio.

Lombardi also noted that the Pope said he was not sure exactly what Trump had said about illegal immigration and "would give him the benefit of the doubt" until he did.

Pope suggests Trump 'is not Christian'

Trump has built his campaign around confrontations with everyone from Fox News' Megyn Kelly to GOP opponent Jeb Bush, so the change in tone was striking. What accounts for the shift?

The obvious answer is that he doesn't want to alienate Catholic voters, who make up about 20% of the American electorate and likely don't want to see politicians pontificating about their Pope. Catholics consider the Pope not only the vicar of Christ but also the successor to St. Peter, who legendarily holds the keys to the Pearly Gates.

But, like most popes throughout history, Francis is also a political leader.

He heads a sovereign state -- Vatican City -- and meets regularly with world powers. When Francis made his comments about Trump's stance on illegal immigration, he was returning from Mexico, where he met with government leaders, including President Enrique Peña Nieto.

And the Roman Catholic Church, most especially through its bishops, takes policy positions on a wide range of issues, from abortion to combatting the Zika virus.

In that sense, the Pope's remarks on Trump's proposal to deport undocumented immigrants and build a big wall between the United States and Mexico weren't terribly surprising.

Trump challengers react to Pope's comments

Trump's rivals at Thursday night's town hall largely stayed away from the brouhaha.

When asked about the controversy, Ohio Gov. John Kasich simply said he was "pro-Pope."

"This man has brought more sense of hope and more about the do's in life than the don'ts," Kasich said, referring to Francis. "This guy has been so humble."

Bush, who is a devout Catholic, didn't criticize the Pope's comments. But he said he personally wouldn't "question people's Christianity."

"I think that's a relationship they have with their Lord and savior and themselves. So I just don't think it's appropriate to question Donald Trump's faith," Bush said at the town hall. "He knows what his faith is."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trump apologizes to Pope Francis
Posted by: skaw ()
Date: February 19, 2016 04:31PM

If Trump does meet with the pope it will secure his nomination. Trump has a charm that the other candidates (except Sanders) do not have, no doubt he will leave the meeting as friends. Hillary has the charm of a bull snake.

Posted by: The Lord Has Spoken ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:16PM

Trump totally pussed out. But everyone expects that from a Vietnam draft dodger who disrespects Vietnam POW's like Senator John McCain.

No matter how many fake apologies Trump throws out there - he is NOT a Christian and neither are those who support Trump and his complete bullshit Wall of Shame idea.

Posted by: freaking Trump ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:32PM

He truly is the "Teflon" candidate. Seems almost like a higher benevolent power wants him in. Pre-destiny? Maybe.

Posted by: freaking Trump ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:32PM

He truly is the "Teflon" candidate. Seems almost like a higher benevolent power wants him in. Pre-destiny? Maybe.

Posted by: Gerry tryhard ()
Date: February 19, 2016 05:43PM

The Lord Has Spoken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trump totally pussed out. But everyone expects
> that from a Vietnam draft dodger who disrespects
> Vietnam POW's like Senator John McCain.
>
> No matter how many fake apologies Trump throws out
> there - he is NOT a Christian and neither are
> those who support Trump and his complete bullshit
> Wall of Shame idea.

Insane McCain is a faggot pussy who got captured and would lead this world into a global Armageddon if given the chance. He can go suck off BiBi Nutanyahoo for all I care - he wants to anyway so let him at it!

Christians are fucking pussies in general also. They believe a bunch of Jewish Bullshit from the Bible where god killed millions and Satan killed 12 people. Some great god. He is all powerful but chooses to let his creation rot when he could fix it easily. God isn't real though which is the kicker to Christards - they aren't mentally equipped to handle a reality without delusional fairy tales.

They would rather give all their money away to the church, or niggers, or whoever the Pope says is "in need" than think for themselves. Maybe 5% of Christians are worth their flesh and blood but the rest are sheepish morons.

You're a fucking clown by the way and Trump will be the next President whether you like it or not.

Posted by: we're in deep shit ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:05PM

freaking Trump Wrote:
> He truly is the "Teflon" candidate. Seems almost
> like a higher benevolent power wants him in.
> Pre-destiny? Maybe.

Are you saying that he's the Antichrist?

Posted by: Gunlover ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:08PM

I would apologize to Gerry before I apologize to a catholic. So I would never apologize to Gerry.

Posted by: djje ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:43PM

Gunlover Wrote:
> I would apologize to Gerry before I apologize to a
> catholic. So I would never apologize to Gerry.

Say What?

Posted by: Lighten up Francis ()
Date: February 19, 2016 07:56PM

The Donald shows he is the bigger man. And the Pope learned a valuable lesson. Everybody wins!

Posted by: Needs Votes ()
Date: February 20, 2016 02:14AM

In other words, "I really need the votes from Catholics."

Posted by: holy bejewsus! ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:01AM

waiting for catholics to apologize that embarrassment of a pope. guess it could be a while...

Posted by: Trump hypocrisy ()
Date: February 20, 2016 02:39PM

Trump - "The Pope is nice guy. Nice guy but he has a swiveled up prune face and is old. The mental capacity of a bird. But great guy.

Posted by: Truth is not Hypocrisy ()
Date: February 20, 2016 02:45PM

He didn't even mention that stupid hat! Trump has Class, Pope is a ass.

Posted by: JDvDN ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:26PM

Pope Francis backs down after calling Donald Trump 'not Christian'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454720/Popes-comments-Trump-not-personal-attack-papal-spokesman.html

Trump 1 - Pope 0 : Francis backs down over 'not Christian' claim as Vatican says it was not a 'personal attack' or attempt to influence presidential vote

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi says calling Trump 'not Christian' for wanting to build a wall was not 'a personal attack'
Papal official suggested Pope was reacting to 'what he was told' about billionaire's position
Trump had issued furious denunciation of Pope Francis for his comments, made on way back from Papal visit to Mexico
Today Trump accepted the partial olive branch, saying the Papal statement was 'beautiful'
After Vatican's speedy retreat and told campaign stop in South Carolina that Mexican government was to blame for telling Pope

Posted by: TFmMw ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:35PM

the Vatican has recently (during obama years), exclaimed publicly that spanish? had broken into some vatican bank account

the Vatican isn't responding to lower "stolen" class americas concern they lived poor and under life death poverty threat

meanwhile polititians where counterfeiting and hiring mexicans, allowing illegals into gov at 3x the pay (and infact life style) whites were given for the same - 3x the number of children i'd bet.

these (mexicans) then, like blacks in detroit or any city they take over by hostile takeover: are totally biggotted and corrupt, and also in debt running facist governments

point is the money. when is (mexian, sA, any) gov going to pay for their counterfeiting and use of usa gov jobs to steal from usa? they even use gov positions to funnel money and materials out of usa to their home country: ie, Texas buying electrical power from mexico where? laredo: run completely by the mexican government.

point is where is the money

and the pope being stiffed himself should remind himself that might be the gold digging (the kind that is to illegal extents and at cost to others), that is the problem

when it's your life in seclusion and you've waiting in line, withstood more than a fair share of "cutting in line" then you talk

i can talk and i have proofs i'm not tolerating them for a second longer

obama: get the hell out

ANSWER: that's fine just find out who has new money they didn't earn, ie a big house, and inflate the holy hell out of them. dont even need to say hi.

Posted by: The Donald Abides ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:36PM

"Today Trump accepted the partial olive branch, saying the Papal statement was 'beautiful'"

Trump is already making the Catholic Church Great Again and he hasn't even been elected yet.

Posted by: FUHpw ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:39PM

i'm not apologizing

i don't get threatened to do things "the good way", do it wait my turn out of good nature, then have illegals flaunting gov cash and having children i was not "allowed" to have, finding out others were shoed into lucrative work who didn't wait, were hired due to corruption, and so on. are not from the usa and are funneling money out or only racially to make USA facist.

pay back, or drop dead

Posted by: Pope Spotter ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:42PM

FUHpw Wrote:
>

> i'm not apologizing
>
> i don't get threatened to do things "the good
> way", do it wait my turn out of good nature, then
> have illegals flaunting gov cash and having
> children i was not "allowed" to have, finding out
> others were shoed into lucrative work who didn't
> wait, were hired due to corruption, and so on.
> are not from the usa and are funneling money out
> or only racially to make USA facist.
>
> pay back, or drop dead
>

If you are, as I suspect, the actual Pontiff of Rome then I strongly suggest you retract this statement and stick with the apology. You don't want to test The Donald's temper, trust me!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.