HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
American Express One
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 19, 2006 04:20PM

Some people much be really loaded. I just saw a commercial for American Express One card, which puts 1% of your purchases into a savings account earning 4.25%.

The first year's annual fee is waived, but once you are in year #2 and have to pay $35 a year you would have to charge over eighty thousand dollars on the card in one year, just to break even with the annual fee. If someone is charging close to $7,000 a month on a credit card and paying off the balance each month, it seems they could find better ways to invest their money than get this card.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Express One
Posted by: kit.car ()
Date: July 29, 2006 08:49PM

isn't 1% of $3500= $35 so as long as you charged more then $3500 in a year you would be making money?

Posted by: pgens failed failed math in grade sch ()
Date: July 29, 2006 10:12PM

looks like pgens isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. BTW, How is spending 3500 + interest to get the 35 annual fee back making money? U can't... credit cards are the oldest scam in the books and how banks like citibank/bank one et al. became huge. my advice is cancel ur credit cards

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:05PM

>my advice is cancel ur credit cards

They're not the "oldest scam in the books", they are a useful financial tool. Try renting a car without a credit card sometime, and you'll see how fast you're suddenly standing in the back of a Greyhound line. Or try to book a flight online without one, just send them email telling them you'll send them a money order, see how that works. Better advice is to never carry a balance on your card and never pay them a cent in interest.

Date: July 30, 2006 11:57PM

Yeah, reading back I must have been drinking early that day.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: July 31, 2006 12:52AM

Date: July 19, 2006 04:20PM

Date: July 31, 2006 07:02AM

Yup. I am glad someone called it out though. I guess I was thinking that was amount of principal it would take to generate $35 worth of interest in a year. For some reason I totally disregarded the 1% getting kicked in.

As it is though I rarely put more than $300 on a card in a month.

Posted by: charge master ()
Date: November 18, 2018 11:59AM

Trump taught me how to handle credit cars. Charge them up big on flights, hotels and fine restaurants. Make only the minimum payment for a few years then just declare bankruptcy. Repeat every 7 years. Enjoy life on someone else's dime!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.