HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Say goodbye to another iconic US company
Posted by: Digital man ()
Date: August 01, 2014 09:57AM

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/31/news/companies/radioshack-future/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Radio Shack is so broke they cant afford to close stores!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Say goodbye to another iconic US company
Posted by: xK6XT ()
Date: August 01, 2014 10:04AM

FORT WORTH, TX—Despite having been on the job for nine months, RadioShack CEO Julian Day said Monday that he still has "no idea" how the home electronics store manages to stay open.

CEO Julian Day

"There must be some sort of business model that enables this company to make money, but I'll be damned if I know what it is," Day said. "You wouldn't think that people still buy enough strobe lights and extension cords to support an entire nationwide chain, but I guess they must, or I wouldn't have this desk to sit behind all day.The retail outlet boasts more than 6,000 locations in the United States, and is known best for its wall-sized displays of obscure-looking analog electronics components and its notoriously desperate, high-pressure sales staff. Nevertheless, it ranks as a Fortune 500 company, with gross revenues of over $4.5 billion and fiscal quarter earnings averaging tens of millions of dollars.

"Have you even been inside of a RadioShack recently?" Day asked. "Just walking into the place makes you feel vaguely depressed and alienated. Maybe our customers are at the mall anyway and don't feel like driving to Best Buy? I suppose that's possible, but still, it's just...weird."

A RadioShack store that somehow manages to bring in enough paying customers to turn a profit.

After taking over as CEO, Day ordered a comprehensive, top-down review of RadioShack's administrative operations, inventory and purchasing, suppliers, demographics, and marketing strategies. He has also diligently pored over weekly budget reports, met with investors, taken numerous conference calls with regional managers about "circulars or flyers or something," and even spent hours playing with the company's "baffling" 200-In-One electronics kit. Yet so far none of these things have helped Day understand the moribund company's apparent allure.

"Even the name 'RadioShack'—can you imagine two less appealing words placed next to one another?" Day said. "What is that, some kind of World War II terminology? Are ham radio operators still around, even? Aren't we in the digital age?"

"Well, our customers are out there somewhere, and thank God they are," Day added.

One of Day's theories about RadioShack's continued solvency involves wedding DJs, emergency cord replacement, and off-brand wireless telephones. Another theory entails countless RadioShack gift cards that sit unredeemed in their recipients' wallets. Day has even conjectured that the store is "still coasting on" an enormous fortune made from remote-control toy cars in the mid-1970s.

Day admitted, however, that none of these theories seems particularly plausible.

"I once went into a RadioShack location incognito in order to gauge customer service," Day said. "It was about as inviting as a visit to the DMV. For the life of me, I couldn't see anything I wanted to buy. Finally, I figured I'd pick up some Enercell AA batteries, though truthfully they're not appreciably cheaper than the name brands."

"I know one thing," Day continued. "If Sony and JVC start including gold-tipped cable cords with their products, we're screwed."

In the cover letter to his December 2006 report to investors, "Radio Shack: Still Here In The 21st Century," Day wrote that he had no reason to believe that the coming year would not be every bit as good as years past, provided that people kept on doing things much the same way they always had.

Despite this cheerful boosterism, Day admitted that nothing has changed during his tenure and he doesn't exactly know what he can do to improve the chain.

"I'd like to capitalize on the store's strong points, but I honestly don't know what they are," Day said. "Every location is full of bizarre adapters, random chargers, and old boom boxes, and some sales guy is constantly hovering over you. It's like walking into your grandpa's basement. You always expect to see something cool, but it never delivers."

Added Day: "I may never know the answer. No matter how many times I punch the sales figures into this crappy Tandy desk calculator, it just doesn't add up."

Posted by: evwed ()
Date: August 01, 2014 12:21PM

^ LOL. Funny because it's dead true.

I've not understood how they've been able to stay open for as long as they have. They should have been gone 15 years ago. It's a mystery. Which I guess is about to come to an end.

Shame that they just phoned it in for so long. They could have filled a nice little niche for hobbyists and gadget geeks if they'd upped their game. Home automation, robotics, drones now... Kind of like a modern version of the old Heathkit stores probably would do well enough. Nobody left like that out there now.

Posted by: Henro ()
Date: August 01, 2014 12:32PM

Their first plan should be to fire this bozo and hire a CEO.
Whats he gonna do next insult the few customers they have left.

Posted by: Radio Goo Goo ()
Date: August 01, 2014 12:32PM

Iconic?

Sure, it was a good place to go if you needed an odd sized battery or an extra long piece of cable, but it was no icon. I'm surprised they can stay open in some of their locations.

Posted by: OBUMMER! ()
Date: August 01, 2014 12:34PM

Fuckin obummer did it again. Bastard and his regulations ended a great american company. I remember the last time I bought a walkeetalkee from radioshack, it was great, way better than you find now and days. That was about 14 years ago. It was great. Fuckin Obummer.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: August 01, 2014 12:35PM

Radio Shack turned into a shit ghetto cell phone emporium. I have a thread about it here somewhere a few years ago.

There were some bright spots and I've had some good experiences with some knowledgable people, but for the most it deteriorated.

There was a smart long hair at the one in Tysons and a smart black lady at the one in Seven Corners.

Baileys and Annandale were a bunch of borderline no-speaks focused on cellular sales. They SUCKED.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:03PM

The moment they decided to become Cellphone Shack and remote control toyshack was the moment they began dying.

They used to have a unique gig selling shit no one else had (other than a few sparse electronic stores). Then some marketing genious decided to bag all that and focus on remote controlled toys and then cell phones.

Who the fuck goes to Radio Shack to buy a cell phone?

Then they got rid of all their inexpensive cables and started sell overpriced shit.

If this CEO Julien Day is clueless to why they failed, he should be sacked immediately. What a dumbass.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:04PM

I can still remember when they sold Tandy desktop computers and car stereo replacements.

Posted by: WUjPT ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:23PM

RADIO SHACK has had problems for 20 yrs. at least

and before then franchise owners complained it the franshise made it tough to stay in business (note restraunts, gas stations have same complaints about franshising)

* usa gov, and ny,ny and ca, backstabbed engineers by offshoring electronics

* loss of interest in repairing and or developing electronic items, and lack of providing those interested in doing so with information and supplies. due to complexity but also lack of standards (no repair level modularity) and no chinese translations :)

* pushed aside engineering products to use retail space to sell cheap chinese phones and things avail elsewhere

it's a small store one cannot sell cheap phones to pay employees and keep doors open - there's got to be more following and loyalty to a small store in (usually good and more expensive locations)

Posted by: v6ved ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:26PM

(it'd surprise me if they were're selling hobby stuff at all just phones and low end home junk - but haven't been there recently)

i think i've heard they are closing once a year or once every few years for 30 years

---------------------
i'm not believing it until i see it

Posted by: strange but true ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:27PM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Who the fuck goes to Radio Shack to buy a cell
> phone?
>

Actually, as surprising as it may seem, lots did. That was (one of the few) big money makers for them in recent years. Especially to people who couldn't get phones under contract otherwise or because of credit problems or no credit. Same reason that Western Union makes a bunch of money serving a lot of that same group of people when there's no real reason to use them otherwise.

Posted by: huM7j ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:27PM

they could always change format and begin selling obama insurance policies

Posted by: X9Mn9 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:30PM

paying rent, employees, X overhead

you gotta have a product that sells at least 2x the cost of providing (not untypical) and a clientelee that will be back regularly for what you have on hand

ie, NAPA auto parts is a good example of selling electro-mech parts to a regular crowd, from a small store, without going under

Posted by: e7uxy ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:31PM

v6ved Wrote:
> (it'd surprise me if they were're selling hobby
> stuff at all just phones and low end home junk -
> but haven't been there recently)
>
> i think i've heard they are closing once a year or
> once every few years for 30 years
>
> ---------------------
> i'm not believing it until i see it

They haven't much for a long time. Just one small section of the store with not much left in it. Still was good when you needed some little connector or resistor or something. But $2 sales aren't keeping a store open.

Posted by: was a good idea ()
Date: August 01, 2014 01:37PM

the one at Fair Oaks was even selling food at one point. there was an entire isle with potato chips, beef jerky, candy & soda, pies etc. it was lie a little convenient store set up with cell phones and electronics in the other isles. I'm surprised more don't do it to increase sales

Posted by: butterwe ()
Date: August 01, 2014 02:13PM

Fast Food icons like McDonalds and Burger King will never die! If Burger Chef was around today it would last and last.

Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: August 01, 2014 02:21PM

butterwe Wrote:
> Fast Food icons like McDonalds and Burger King
> will never die! If Burger Chef was around today
> it would last and last.

Yes because there are more and more poor people now thanks to Obama.

Posted by: Not that cheap ()
Date: August 01, 2014 02:59PM

Decrapitated Wrote:
> butterwe Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fast Food icons like McDonalds and Burger King
> > will never die! If Burger Chef was around
> today
> > it would last and last.
>
> Yes because there are more and more poor people
> now thanks to Obama.

Really not that cheap, years ago there was a commercial about getting change for your dollar at mcDonalds with a meal, not anymore. If they raise the minimum wage for these joints we'll be paying 10 bucks for a happy Meal(or Meade will)

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:14PM

butterwe Wrote:
> Fast Food icons like McDonalds and Burger King
> will never die!

Burger King? No one goes there anymore. Dairy Queen and their horrible burgers should go next after BK.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: CH3NO2 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:19PM

I still miss Gino's

Posted by: urwdw ()
Date: August 01, 2014 03:33PM

Some fast food places die: Howdy's Beef Burger, Lums, hot dogs cooked in beer, ( Roy Rodgers, Arthur Treacher and Howard Johnsons are no more I think)

Posted by: Ytrsxffgh ()
Date: August 01, 2014 06:27PM

Roy Rogers is still in PWC, with one store a recent arrival. I think there are at least two open in Fairfax. Arthur Treachers has it's last store in Fairfax Circle and it refuses to close, ever!

Posted by: Art Treacher ()
Date: August 01, 2014 06:40PM

Ytrsxffgh Wrote:
> Roy Rogers is still in PWC, with one store a
> recent arrival. I think there are at least two
> open in Fairfax. Arthur Treachers has it's last
> store in Fairfax Circle and it refuses to close,
> ever!

Shit, they are still serving the same "chips" that were made in 1992.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 07:00PM

You'll be missing them when you need some thermal compound or a soldering iron in a bind. I know I will.

Posted by: JmUN7 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 07:02PM

grainger's is another model - selling contractor stuff from a small store locally but that gets orders and continual traffic from workers that need to replace / upgrade common stuff

good question

it's a small store format many models have worked but those are usually in cheaper rent areas

not as many are applicable with good strip mall / shopping mall locations, shoes/hats/glove/sack/wallet/umbrella kinda retail aside (those are often already existing in area). restraunts: phhh always close round here.

otherwise have to invent something people people need that they'll consume or upgrade and come back for. like kits to make their own shoes or supply some service to themselves they'd usually have to buy.

^^^ (dont' use that idea. just a placeholder)

Posted by: LJjY4 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 07:04PM

in my next brick and mortar chain ...

i'm going to sell "job completion certification packages" so that lazy gov workers can purchase them and file them and not have to bother with actually doing anything, since their completion report is filed. vauge and haughty as need be as to how much work was never done, guaranteed to satisfy prying citizen eyes or at least maek them feel helpless !

who has time to write their own work completion reports ? gov workers have other thigns to do !

Posted by: 4nt9k ()
Date: August 01, 2014 07:05PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ rich ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by: VDmV6 ()
Date: August 01, 2014 08:17PM

> You'll be missing them when you need some thermal compound or a soldering iron in a bind. I know I will.

Buy thermal compound at office depot or best buy or just about anywhere. Soldering iron at home depot.

The shack, while claiming to have an inventory, never had the fucking part I wanted. Just an empty draw slot.

Posted by: tomahawk ()
Date: August 01, 2014 10:10PM

Posted by: HKGvG ()
Date: August 01, 2014 10:23PM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> You'll be missing them when you need some thermal
> compound or a soldering iron in a bind. I know I
> will.

Missing who? If you are referring to radio shack they have not sold that stuff for years you uninformed retarded lib.

Posted by: Microcenter ()
Date: August 01, 2014 10:24PM

VDmV6 Wrote:
> > You'll be missing them when you need some
> thermal compound or a soldering iron in a bind. I
> know I will.
>
> Buy thermal compound at office depot or best buy
> or just about anywhere. Soldering iron at home
> depot.
>
> The shack, while claiming to have an inventory,
> never had the fucking part I wanted. Just an
> empty draw slot.

Microcenter has all of that kind of stuff in one place.

Posted by: nVGX9 ()
Date: August 02, 2014 07:56PM

OBUMMER! Wrote:
> Fuckin obummer did it again. Bastard and his
> regulations ended a great american company. I
> remember the last time I bought a walkeetalkee
> from radioshack, it was great, way better than you
> find now and days. That was about 14 years ago. It
> was great. Fuckin Obummer.

You are an idiot. Obama had nothing to do with it. Radio is closing because nobody shops there anymore. PERIOD.

Posted by: Hyenb ()
Date: February 22, 2015 04:50AM

OBUMMER! Wrote:
> Fuckin obummer did it again. Bastard and his
> regulations ended a great american company. I
> remember the last time I bought a walkeetalkee
> from radioshack, it was great, way better than you
> find now and days. That was about 14 years ago. It
> was great. Fuckin Obummer.

The last time you shopped at RS was 14 years ago? That's why they're folding.

Posted by: Why4Y? ()
Date: February 22, 2015 06:51AM

tomahawk Wrote:
> http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-fig
> ure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/
>
> LOL

no one else caught that?

Posted by: DCVy4 ()
Date: February 22, 2015 09:45AM

would be forgetting there are new franshises with similar format JUST OPENING hoping RS will permanently close

proababy the "new stores" are run by a "california firm" actaully owned by foreigners (ie, totally funded by illegitimate on paper signing and fornicated printed money)

other similar things are opening or trying to - hobby shops expanding their format beyond sale of iconic toys

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.