HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
This 9-11 fetish is getting out of hand
Posted by: Bill Sykes ()
Date: December 28, 2008 03:02PM

Screw these a-holes trying to steal this guy's land! He had nothing to do with 9-11.

PHILADELPHIA – Relatives of those who died aboard United Airlines Flight 93 want the Bush Administration to seize the land needed for a memorial where the plane crashed in Shanksville, Pa., in the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The Families of Flight 93 sent a letter earlier this month asking President George W. Bush to empower the Secretary of the Interior to take the land in dispute from a homeowner who had been in negotiations with the National Parks Service, said Patrick White, vice president of the families' organization.

The group says ground must be broken early next year in time for a memorial to be build for the 10th anniversary of the crash in 2011.

Svonavec Inc. owns one of the last large chunks of land needed for the 2,200-acre memorial, including the area where the plane crashed Sept. 11, 2001. Svonavec's treasurer Mike Svonavec has said the park service has not done enough to negotiate a deal.

White said Svonavec has not been willing to negotiate, and called that unacceptable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This 9-11 fetish is getting out of hand
Date: December 28, 2008 03:52PM

The government is well within its right to take the guy's land and send him a check for the market value. The guy is obviously being a prick and trying to bilk taxpayers by over-charging for the land because he thinks he has the government by the balls. He would be wrong.

Posted by: Buill Sykes ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:03PM

If it's a case of imminent domain, yes the government is. Assuaging the morbid fantasies of these people hardly qualifies.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:47PM

Send in the DEA to "find" a single pot plant, and then seize the whole damn thing for free.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2008 04:48PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: simple solution ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:58PM

WaPo suggests that only 10% of the body parts were recovered - declare it a war grave - problem over.

Posted by: Eminence Front ()
Date: December 28, 2008 09:36PM

I will readily admit that I don't know dick about what has been going on with this land, but I felt compelled to post an LOL reply to the poster "Buill Sykes", who cited "imminent domain" as a basis to take over the land.

Mr. Sykes, the principle is "eminent domain" (as in the eminency, a/k/a the State or other ruling body, having the power to seize land), but "imminent domain" certainly is what the landowner is feeling if there is a deadline and if he has not retained counsel.

Date: December 28, 2008 10:08PM

In a case like this, the Federal government can pretty much do what it wants to do as long as it fairly compensates the landowner. I think if the landowner is holding out for some special deal, he is going to find out he is out of luck.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 29, 2008 12:49AM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a case like this, the Federal government can
> pretty much do what it wants to do as long as it
> fairly compensates the landowner. I think if the
> landowner is holding out for some special deal, he
> is going to find out he is out of luck.

I don't know that it has been established in any way that the landowner is attempting to hold the land for ransom or anything of the sort. I haven't seen anything indicating he is attempting to get any special deals.

If he is, then perhaps eminent domain might be in order. Seize the land and compensate fairly.

However, I have a feeling there's another side to this story, else the government would have done this already -- I suspect the value of the land may exceed the remaining funds allocated for the acquisition of the land for the memorial. I could be wrong, but it would seem the government wouldn't be dragging this out as much as the landowner is, unless it had a valid reason. If there was an unreasonable delay in negotiations, unreasonable demands, or any implicit unwillingness to negotiate, on the part of the land owner, the government would have begun the eminent domain process by now. Even if only as a tactic intended to force the landowner's hand in negotiating.

I suspect the Flight 93 families are just used to being coddled by government officials and having special status because of the emotional weight of "9/11". Or, more accurately, the people who are in charge of whatever "families of flight 93" organization has been created believe they have special powers and are owed special reverance, so they are impatient with the progress of negotiations and are hoping to use their special status to trump both the government and the land owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 12:51AM by Bob.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 29, 2008 11:16AM

it doesn't matter if there is any money. the gov't can 'seize now, pay later' with imminent domain. My uncle had some land taken in Florida and the gov't knew what they would pay at the time. He finally got paid, with some amount of interest, twelve years later - two years after he died. The land remains unused, to the best of my knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 11:16AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: December 29, 2008 11:24AM

Why build a memorial that size, anyway? What's it going to be, a fucking 9/11 amusement park?

Dear America, we're sorry that the worst terrorist attack on your soil in the history of your nation happened, even though this single incident pales in comparison to the hardships that some countries face daily. However, it's been a little over 7 years, and you're not remembering it anymore; you're celebrating it.

If I had been killed on 9/11, I would look down on these people and be embarrassed by the endless circle jerk they're calling "grief." Move the fuck on.

Posted by: Bill Sykes ()
Date: December 30, 2008 04:27PM

Thank you for expressing your opinion. The two of us are in total agreement. This sick 9-11 fetish is an endless circle jerk.

Posted by: Trump Bump ()
Date: March 30, 2016 04:23PM

Trump Bump

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.