HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
GAS WAR: Method for lower gas prices
Posted by: Cary ()
Date: April 19, 2006 07:46PM

Chain letter I received that I thought was pretty interesting. Probably won't work because as soon as they drop their prices 10 cents everyone will flock back, but interesting nonetheless.

Subject: GAS WAR

I don't usually forward this type of stuff, but this might just work. If we hit them in their pocketbook like they are doing to us.

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work.

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a Gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war..

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two Biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people. Just Don't buy gas from Mobil/Exxon. BP is fine, Sunoco is fine just STOP buying from Mobil/Exxon. To entice you to purchase their product they will start to reduce the prices.

If each of us sends this to at least ten people or more (the person who began it sent it to 30) (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300x10 =3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessedit..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If You don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to Ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, Please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GAS WAR: Method for lower gas prices
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: April 19, 2006 08:21PM

It may be more useful to use services like this http://www.virginiagasprices.com/index.aspx?s=Y&fuel=A&area=Centreville&tme_limit=48 to just always buy from the cheapest station. In Centreville a couple of the Mobil's are switching over to Sunoco and the BP over by Westfields is converting over to Chevron. I don't even know what oil companies own what brands anymore.

Date: April 19, 2006 08:45PM

It's a nifty idea but sadly it won't work. The gas that goes to other gas stations that aren't Exxon or Mobil, can actually come from Exxon or Mobil. Actually a lot of the times the gas companies will sell their product to a competing company, etc. Check out snopes for the details

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 20, 2006 10:45AM

As someone who outright fed up with the insane price of gasoline, I want
to do something about it. However, as just one guy from Fairfax VA, I
cannot do this on my own. We need to have a pseudo-strike on gasoline
and coincidentally oil. However, the only way to make this work is to
start using public transit for all longer distance trips, like going to
work. Trips like going to the store and back are OK so it's not a total
inconvenience and we can keep this up indefinitely without tiring. Try
to use as little gas as possible. Conserve what you have and refill your
cars as little as possible. This will get the greedy oil countries' and
oil companies' attention.

Let's make this and INTERNATIONAL effort. Countries like Iran who are
exploiting the world will feel the pressure. Perhaps we can even stop
Iran from starting enriching uranium if all counties refuse to buy from
them and we demand their full co-operation.

If we can get this published everyday in as many news places as possible
this will work. We can force the oil countries to lower prices, we just
have to work together. Let's set the new price for oil at $17 a barrel
and $0.75 per gallon of gasoline(87 octane).

I refuse to be exploited anymore.

Sorry for all the caps and bold text. Now this has been edited 12 times and yes it is a record. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2006 01:25PM by Gravis.

Posted by: mad max, JD ()
Date: April 20, 2006 11:38AM

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2006 11:27AM by Gravis.

Damn, is that a record?

I ask this everywhere and nobody seems to give any kind of answer. I'm curious, if it costs on average $5/barrel to pump the oil from the ground and it's trading around $72 now, who gets that $67 markup? I'm sure it's split somehow among the Arabs and the oil companies, but somebody's getting the lion's share and really raping the consumer.

Date: April 20, 2006 12:41PM

i had no idea it cost so little to pump the oil. we are totally getting raped.

gah... slashdot already rejected my story... other people submit the post i made (minus the last line) and i think they might get the idea. ill be sending this to other sites... perhaps try to get it on the news or in the newspapers. i dont understand why anyone would not want to help this cause. perhaps they were from an oil country. :)

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2006 01:06PM by Gravis.

Posted by: RbF_dark420 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 06:02PM

I like how 20 yrs ago when exxon and mobil was starting out nobody gave a shit about them and now everyone is screaming bloody murder because they are trying to make their money. even with the US prices so high we are still paying 1/4th less than the rest of the world. it is up to $8 a liter in france and most parts of europe. and down to 0.14 cents a liter in venzuela

If you really want to make a difference please read up on the subject and educate yourself rather than beleive the lies you see on TV and the newspaper. the best place to look is the federal websites showing the oil income and usage.

80% OF THE UNITED STATES CRUDE OIL COMES FROM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

Only the paraniod will Survive...

Date: April 23, 2006 05:10PM

the internet has more lies than FOX 5 news... talk about bad. BBC is fairly strait forward with almost no bias.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: April 23, 2006 05:34PM

Oddly enough, PBS is pretty liberal so I have to believe that if the US gov took control of TV like the BBC has control, our news coverage would bias towards liberalism due to PBS likely becoming the offical national network.

Posted by: Dork ()
Date: June 13, 2006 06:24AM

Not this crap again....

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: June 28, 2006 08:00PM

Although the idea is good to lower prices...I don't like it. I have a boatload of stock in Exxon-Mobil, and if Exxon goes, I can't live here anymore.

Posted by: Schmuck ()
Date: June 29, 2006 08:11AM

Anyone watched Fight Club? We start a fight club and then use the members to make soap. Then we blow up all the gas stations instead of credit card companies. That will show those greedy oil executives. Just a thought.

Posted by: here we go yalll ()
Date: December 18, 2013 09:41PM

BLAST FROM THE PAST!

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 09:54PM

Good idea but I dont think the company that had back to back quarters of being the most profitable company in the world under Bush is a good target. They will do an analysis and whether the storm for an extended period of time. They also have the resources to sell their reallocate the sale of their refined products as well as unilaterally decreasing the amount of refined gasoline stateside to keep gas prices high.

There's a reason our refiniries operate at over 90 percent capacity.

Posted by: Canada, eh ()
Date: December 19, 2013 11:02AM

RbF_dark420 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like how 20 yrs ago when exxon and mobil was
> starting out nobody gave a shit about them and now
> everyone is screaming bloody murder because they
> are trying to make their money. even with the US
> prices so high we are still paying 1/4th less than
> the rest of the world. it is up to $8 a liter in
> france and most parts of europe. and down to 0.14
> cents a liter in venzuela
>
> If you really want to make a difference please
> read up on the subject and educate yourself rather
> than beleive the lies you see on TV and the
> newspaper. the best place to look is the federal
> websites showing the oil income and usage.
>
>
> 80% OF THE UNITED STATES CRUDE OIL COMES FROM
> CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

ExxonMobil is over 125 year old (starting as separate companies), they did not start out 20 years ago.

Canada provides only 15% of our oil. Most of it comes from the US.
http://www.npr.org/2012/04/11/150444802/where-does-america-get-oil-you-may-be-surprised

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.