HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
What happens when LASIK eye surgery goes wrong?
Posted by: Three Blind Mice ()
Date: December 29, 2013 06:49AM

I was seriously thinking about getting the Lasik eye surgery done, but what worries me is that I am only hearing about the "Good news". I have to assume that where there is success there is also failure. I've read some articles online already, but I figured I'd ask here as some of you may have had the surgery (or maybe relatives). My ex had the surgery back in the 90's and now today she has had to go back to wearing contacts.

Is the procedure safe? Did you have any complications?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What happens when LASIK eye surgery goes wrong?
Posted by: Easy Peasy ()
Date: December 29, 2013 06:52AM

I had it done way back when it was a $10,000 procedure and have had 20/20 vision ever since.

Posted by: Dr Oz ()
Date: December 29, 2013 06:55AM

I have only heard of a few complaints. The day my wife went for the surgery, there was a lady that came out afterwards complaining that her eyes felt like they were being clawed out by a rat.

Posted by: Not a fan of LASIK ()
Date: December 29, 2013 07:06AM

I choose not to do it, because I can live with wearing contact lenses. Here's a site I found this morning that might help to answer your questions...

When LASIK Goes Wrong
http://www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/when-lasik-goes-wrong.htm

Posted by: failed ()
Date: December 29, 2013 08:05AM

Lasik is great until your eye changes rx. Had it once, had to have a touchup due to a really bad rx (this was expected). Mine rx was stable for years, thought it was time to do it. regressed within two years, had a rare third pass on one eye, decided not to do a third on the other. I wear a contact lens in one eye.

Don't know why my rx changed after all those years, but it is a risk you take. The changes were NOT due to a surgical issue, I want you to understand. and the warranty does not cover this type of situation. Still glad I did it as I can now see my alarm clock and run around without my contact lens all I want, just prefer it to drive and work, etc.

Great procedure, but has risks.

Posted by: Eye of Doom ()
Date: December 29, 2013 08:10AM

Excellent question and concerns. Here's some worthwhile reading...

LASIK Complications, Risks - Top 10 Reasons Not to Have LASIK
http://www.lasikcomplications.com/

Risks that LASIK surgeons don't disclose to prospective patients. LASIK disasters, LASIK complaints, LASIK dissatisfaction, refractive surgery in the military.

Also from the site...

Dr. Oz is joined by undercover reporter Elisabeth Leamy to explore the world’s most popular elective surgery – Lasik. Is the procedure really safe? Learn all about the hidden complications.

Watch the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WH_hoNO0A&feature=player_embedded

Read accompanying article on Dr. Oz site. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/hard-look-lasik-surgery

Considering LASIK? Advice for patients from Dr. Oz. http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/considering-lasik-advice-patients

Posted by: Some more info ()
Date: December 29, 2013 08:54PM

After considering testimony about unfavorable LASIK outcomes, an FDA panel in early 2008 declined to consider a moratorium on the procedure as some speakers had urged.

Instead, FDA officials recommended clarifications in information presented on the organization's website and in patient disclosure forms that would make the risks of LASIK surgery clearer. The FDA also launched an ongoing LASIK Quality of Life project to collect detailed information about safety and patient satisfaction.

Although the vast majority of LASIK surgeries go well, some experiences with poor outcomes — presented at an April 2008 FDA hearing — provide cautionary tales.

By all accounts, Dominic Morgan should never have had LASIK. At birth, he had retinopathy of prematurity. This condition limited his vision to about 20/50 (not good enough to drive in most states), even with eyeglasses and before he ever underwent LASIK.

The surgeon who performed his LASIK procedure in 1998, in the early days of laser eye surgery, used an unapproved laser. Pressure from the eye suction ring used in the procedure effectively destroyed his fragile retinas, leaving him legally blind.

Morgan maintained that the surgeon illegally advertised the procedure and didn't give him the appropriate information before surgery. In retaliation, he founded his own website to share his experience with others.

Gerard Dorrian testified that his son, Colin, had LASIK surgery in 2001, when he was a law student at the University of Michigan. At the time, Colin couldn't wear his contact lenses — in fact, his eyes may have been too dry for him to have LASIK successfully.

In any case, Colin did have LASIK and ended up with poor quality vision and painfully dry eyes. Unable to cope, Colin took his own life, telling his family in a note that it was the only dignified choice.

Psychiatrist Jennifer Morse, MD, emphasized at the hearing that depression and suicide are complex and influenced by multiple factors, rather than caused by a single event.

Still, patients who have had a poor outcome from LASIK can easily fall into depression, said Terri Lynn F. Bankas, MD, who counsels a LASIK support group in Tampa, Fla. She explained that many of the people she has worked with suffer from sleep difficulties, loss of autonomy and self-anger.

She said they have experienced financial problems and estrangement from family and friends as their obsession with their vision intensified.

Some people with disabling outcomes from LASIK, like Dominic Morgan, were treated years ago with early lasers that are no longer on the market today. Modern lasers and other devices used in the LASIK procedure have generally produced very good outcomes. Nevertheless, there continues to be a small minority of cases in which, whether through bad surgery or just bad luck, the outcome is undesirable.

People with a poor LASIK outcome can fall into depression; many have sleep difficulties and self-anger. [According to Terri Lynn F. Bankas, MD]

Joseph Schnell knows that all too well. He had LASIK in both eyes in 2007, partly because his union vision insurance covered a portion of the cost. Unfortunately, he was left with LASIK complications such as glare, halos, starbursts and generally poor vision at night.

Schnell endured periods of depression, anxiety and physical ailments including nausea, which he believes were directly related to his visual problems. Although circumstances are better now, he told FDA officials that he regrets his decision to have LASIK.

Matt Kotsovolos had wavefront-guided LASIK in 2006 at an eye center where he was then the senior financial executive. Although he has 20/20 vision, he explained that he suffers from debilitating and unremitting eye pain from dry eyes.

Dry eye after LASIK is a common symptom that typically resolves in a matter of weeks or months and can usually be alleviated with artificial tears or other treatments. But for a minority of patients, like Kotsovolos, dry eye may be severe and longer lasting.

"Complications classified as 'symptoms' get buried in the medical literature," Kotsovolos told the panel of experts.

The Bigger Picture for When LASIK Goes Wrong

Although these patients had devastating outcomes, taken in context they represent a very small group — the worst possible outcomes in a largely favorable universe of LASIK results.

Of 224,000 laser vision surgeries done in the U.S. military, one person has gone on medical disability retirement as a result. [according to David Tanzer, MD, director, U.S. Navy Refractive Surgery Program]

A recent worldwide review of LASIK by the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) showed that more than 95 percent of patients who had the procedure were satisfied. The worldwide review examined the results of peer-reviewed studies in major scientific journals that comprise more than 32,000 patients treated in the past decade.

David J. Tanzer, MD, director of the U.S. Navy Refractive Surgery Program, reported to the FDA panel that, of 224,000 laser vision surgeries performed to date in the U.S. military, only one person has gone on medical disability retirement because of the procedure.

"If I did not believe in the safety of this procedure, I would certainly not be recommending it or performing it on naval aviators, let alone civilians," he said, noting that LASIK is overwhelmingly safe.

In a survey of Navy pilots, 95 percent said the procedure had made them more effective in their job; none said it hindered their effectiveness.

LASIK Safety Tips

These patients' stories are compelling reminders that with LASIK, like any other surgical procedure, the risks and benefits must be weighed. What can you do to stay on the right side of the statistics and avoid becoming one of the horror stories?
Read more about LASIK, including questions to ask your surgeon, at www.allaboutvision.com/visionsurgery/.
Get a second opinion before surgery.
Don't feel pressured to sign paperwork in a rush. Take it home, read it carefully and ask the surgeon or staff about any concerns or questions.
There are always risks in any surgical procedure. Carefully consider your own level of risk tolerance.

Ongoing LASIK Research

FDA data showed that, although approximately 12 million people had LASIK in a 10-year period following initial approval in 1995, only 140 complaints were filed with the agency.

About 12 million people had LASIK during a 10-year period, but only 140 complaints were filed with the FDA.

The FDA is partnering with the National Eye Institute and and U.S. Department of Defense on a large, multi-site prospective study on patient satisfaction and quality of life after LASIK.

Called the LASIK Quality of Life project, the study as of early 2011 included these phases:
Design of a Web-based questionnaire to assess patient satisfaction, created in part from interviews with those who have undergone LASIK.
Launch of a clinical study among U.S. military personnel who were to answer the questionnaire and provide self-reported outcomes after undergoing LASIK.
Expansion of the clinical study to include self-reported outcomes from people who have undergone LASIK at different U.S. surgical centers.

All phases of the LASIK Quality of Life project are expected to be completed in 2012. AllAboutVision com will provide updates as research continues.

Posted by: Pretty Safe ()
Date: December 29, 2013 11:56PM

Only about 26% of the procedures end in total blindness for the patient. Not bad odds. If you do go blind, consider the silver lining - you'll never have to see Hillary's ugly mug again.

Posted by: Not worth it ()
Date: December 30, 2013 05:18AM

The likelihood is extremely low, but the fact you can end up in worse shape after Lasik is very real. Whether it is this "chronic dry eye" or blindness, it represents a risk I am not willing to take. Contacts and glasses work fine and I don't unnecessarily risk not seeing anything tomorrow by popping my contacts in.

Posted by: C More ()
Date: December 31, 2013 10:05AM

Do one eye at a time. If something goes wrong at least you still have the one good eye. I've had the procedure and I'm glad I did, works great.

Posted by: Corneal Transplant gone wrong ()
Date: December 31, 2013 11:22AM

This might change your mind...

Corneal Transplant
http://lasik-visio-institute.blogspot.com/p/corneal-transplant.html

As we have reported in other sections of this website, LASIK flaps and RK incisions never heal and remain open for the rest of a patient's life. This situation exposes LASIK and RK patients to a life-long increased risk for corneal infection. LASIK and RK patients who develop untreatable infection may be required to undergo corneal transplant, sometimes even many years after the surgery.
Attachments:
JM_15mo_post_rejected_corneal_transplant.jpg

Posted by: Near now Far Sighted ()
Date: December 31, 2013 07:57PM

When I went in for Lasik they told me I would someday need to get glasses for reading. What they didn't say is that it would be the day I had Lasik.

I went from being completely comfortable with being somewhat near sighted to constantly taking glasses on and off to accommodate my now far sighted vision. My kids did better than me adjusting to their eye surgery - but they didn't have to adapt to anything but good vision. I find it very frustrating - years after I had it done.

When I had my regrets it seemed like I could only then find tons of sites with horror stories and I then realized it could actually be much much worse.

Posted by: See for yourself ()
Date: January 01, 2014 06:18PM

Three Blind Mice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was seriously thinking about getting the Lasik
> eye surgery done, but what worries me is that I am
> only hearing about the "Good news". I have to
> assume that where there is success there is also
> failure. I've read some articles online already,
> but I figured I'd ask here as some of you may have
> had the surgery (or maybe relatives). My ex had
> the surgery back in the 90's and now today she has
> had to go back to wearing contacts.
>
> Is the procedure safe? Did you have any
> complications?

Get the lowest price possible - Shop for the out the door cash price.

There is a place on RT 234 in Manassas that is doing them for $395.00 per eye.

They also do waxing and have tanning beds.

Posted by: Burger Monster ()
Date: January 01, 2014 11:11PM

See for yourself Wrote:
> Three Blind Mice Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was seriously thinking about getting the
> Lasik
> > eye surgery done, but what worries me is that I
> am
> > only hearing about the "Good news". I have to
> > assume that where there is success there is
> also
> > failure. I've read some articles online
> already,
> > but I figured I'd ask here as some of you may
> have
> > had the surgery (or maybe relatives). My ex had
> > the surgery back in the 90's and now today she
> has
> > had to go back to wearing contacts.
> >
> > Is the procedure safe? Did you have any
> > complications?
>
> Get the lowest price possible - Shop for the out
> the door cash price.
>
> There is a place on RT 234 in Manassas that is
> doing them for $395.00 per eye.
>
> They also do waxing and have tanning beds.

Good news. In February, they're also going to start offering heart bypasses for $499 and kidney transplants for $599 each.

Posted by: Three Blind Mice ()
Date: January 02, 2014 02:04PM

Near now Far Sighted Wrote:
> When I went in for Lasik they told me I would
> someday need to get glasses for reading. What
> they didn't say is that it would be the day I had
> Lasik.
>
> I went from being completely comfortable with
> being somewhat near sighted to constantly taking
> glasses on and off to accommodate my now far
> sighted vision. My kids did better than me
> adjusting to their eye surgery - but they didn't
> have to adapt to anything but good vision. I find
> it very frustrating - years after I had it done.
>
> When I had my regrets it seemed like I could only
> then find tons of sites with horror stories and I
> then realized it could actually be much much
> worse.

Thanks everyone, after reading all these threads I've decided that contact lenses and glasses are just fine for me.

Posted by: Four Eyes ()
Date: January 03, 2014 11:36AM

Three Blind Mice Wrote:
> Near now Far Sighted Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When I went in for Lasik they told me I would
> > someday need to get glasses for reading. What
> > they didn't say is that it would be the day I
> had
> > Lasik.
> >
> > I went from being completely comfortable with
> > being somewhat near sighted to constantly
> taking
> > glasses on and off to accommodate my now far
> > sighted vision. My kids did better than me
> > adjusting to their eye surgery - but they
> didn't
> > have to adapt to anything but good vision. I
> find
> > it very frustrating - years after I had it
> done.
> >
> > When I had my regrets it seemed like I could
> only
> > then find tons of sites with horror stories and
> I
> > then realized it could actually be much much
> > worse.
>
> Thanks everyone, after reading all these threads
> I've decided that contact lenses and glasses are
> just fine for me.

Me too.

Posted by: You only have two. ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:11PM

I would never fuck with my eyes. You only have one set and modern science hasn't been able to replicate replacements.

Posted by: tonners ()
Date: January 03, 2014 01:49PM

years ago there used to be tons of videos from disgruntled customers.

THe videos would have people who were like you had to wear glasses more often for certain things.

Others like in the link above find their cornea flap never healed because they never really do.

A few committed suicide.

Some became blind after the procedure.

Posted by: Stephen Azman ()
Date: January 06, 2014 01:25PM

Unfortunately, LASIK is not always successful. Side effects and complications of LASIK can include dry eyes, glare, halos, star-bursts, light sensitivity, double vision, and blurry vision. But there is help for those with LASIK complications and side effects. For more information go to http://www.lasikfailures.com

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.