HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Independent (not FFXU) review of Meade Skelton
Posted by: Kitty Litter ()
Date: October 02, 2012 11:32AM

Review of Songs Of Love - Meade Skelton

The piano work is good, the vocals are good pitch and tone, but this CD fails to impress me. No, that's not quite right. I found myself actually gritting my teeth while listening to this album and can't quite put my finger on why.

I think it may be that this singer sounds like he's trying to sing opera to jazz tunes. I think his music lacks soul and personality ... at least the singing. Even the piano work, while certainly good, sounds a bit mechanical and at times, almost forced.

Another thing that's bothering me about this cd is it's all covers, with the exception of two songs. I am of the personal opinion that covers should only be played live.

I think Mr. Skelton would be a good addition to any jazz group as a pianist and backup singer, but I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy any solo work he releases.

Bill Carrera, EvO:R Reviewer
http://www.evor.com/carrera_040106.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Independent (not FFXU) review of Meade Skelton
Posted by: Kixxer ()
Date: October 02, 2012 12:51PM

God, I want to punch Meade in the neck so bad!

Posted by: Wered ()
Date: October 02, 2012 01:13PM

I'd say that review is accurate. Meade's voice goes up and down at strange times, he's usually a little off key, his rhythm with songs is off between vocals and instruments.

I think we can all agree Meade is just some street singer that can do nothing else. It's time for Meade to start checking out which soup kitchen he will be living in at 40.

Posted by: BEH ()
Date: October 02, 2012 01:23PM

Considering Meades blatant amatuerism, thats a rather generous review.

Posted by: Wonka5 ()
Date: October 02, 2012 01:26PM

Have any of his CD's gotten good reviews?

Songs of Love has been his worst effort. Universally panned by critics.

Posted by: meadelovertrue ()
Date: October 03, 2012 02:48AM

Wered Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd say that review is accurate. Meade's voice
> goes up and down at strange times, he's usually a
> little off key, his rhythm with songs is off
> between vocals and instruments.
>
> I think we can all agree Meade is just some street
> singer that can do nothing else. It's time for
> Meade to start checking out which soup kitchen he
> will be living in at 40.

Ive never heard him off key. Im not sure you know what off key is, but he isn't off key. Never off rhythm , but I did notice his drummer has trouble on slower songs. Its not Meade, though.

Posted by: Overnight Shifter ()
Date: October 03, 2012 04:44AM

Does Meade visit this website on a daily basis to read all of the recent reviews he has been getting on here?

Posted by: SixWix ()
Date: October 03, 2012 08:21AM

Yes, who do you think posts all the complimentary and defensive responses? He is not a bright man.

Posted by: BeeFats ()
Date: October 03, 2012 05:28PM

Wonka5 Wrote:
> Have any of his CD's gotten good reviews?

In a word. No

Posted by: sweetteasatisfaction ()
Date: October 03, 2012 09:02PM

BeeFats Wrote:
> Wonka5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Have any of his CD's gotten good reviews?
>
> In a word. No

WRONG

http://laptopsessions.com/archives/2224

Posted by: BeeFats ()
Date: October 03, 2012 10:29PM

I am not going to risk ear damage from listening to an album with
OFF TEMPO DRUMMING

Posted by: StyleWeakly ()
Date: October 05, 2012 01:23PM

BeeFats Wrote:
> I am not going to risk ear damage from listening
> to an album with
> OFF TEMPO DRUMMING

Ive heard his album, the drummer is only off in certain parts. Despite what people say on here, Meade actually has a decent voice, and his piano playing is rather solid. Im not saying I think he's as great as he would like to believe, but he's nowhere near as bad as people are saying.

Posted by: Yes we can ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:34PM

Ignore his music but not his odd face and hairline.
Attachments:
IMG_20131225_164502.jpg

Posted by: newandimproved ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:39PM

He has a young face. I was surprised he was in his 30s. He looks more like college age.

Also, that is an old review.

Here is a new one:

http://www.evor.com/reviews_meade_skelton.html

Meade Music
by Meade Skelton
Reviewed by: Charles Harrelson
Edited by: Charles Harrelson

A few years ago I recieved an EP from a Meade Skelton for review. The CD was a bunch of cover tunes with a jazz swing to them. I was anything but impressed with this offering and gave Meade a poor review. Fast forward to November 2012 and another CD arrives from Meade Skelton.

I had to wonder why someone who was given a bad review for prior work would double down and send another CD for me to listen to. Was this redemtion for the first offering? Maybe Meade simply forgot he recieved a poor review. Maybe the world has two Meade Skeltons, they both play piano and look like twins brothers. No mater what the reason, this CD will get its honest review.

The album begins with a song which almost caused me to eject the CD and not write a review at all. The song Sweet Tea reminded me of something you would hear on a children's show. Meade couldn't have begun with a worse offering.

The Good News: the CD did get better. The rest of the CD settles into this country meets Valdville genre. He calls it "Meade Music" and I have to agree. It's like nothing I've heard before. Combining the old west piano player (with a piano that is in tune) and a small backing band to provide bass, drums, pedal steel and some fiddle work.

The music does not fit any real genre so it is very difficult to pant a picture of what Meade Music sounds like. If I had to put my finger on it I would say Country/pop but that doesn't really tell the whole story. The music is happy songs that may be heard in a coffee shop or a church social. Track 4 Fat No More is the hit song of the disc. I heard it a few times and found I could not get it out of my head for days. This simple but effective message and catchy melody was worth the price of the whole CD.

If I could change a few things I would do the following:
I would suggest that Meade finds a guitar player who can add additional color to his music. Billy Joel and Elton John are great piano players and amazing singers but the unsung heros are the guitar players as they add additional texturer to some wonderful songs. I would also change the drummer. Larry Shattuck is a rock drummer and he really struggles in this genre. His drum work offered little imagination and could have just as easlily been reproduced on a drum machine. Meade also needs to spend some time with the blues. He has a terrible case of behind the beat rhythm meaning he plays. This is evident on a number of songs and disrupted my enjoyment of the overall production. I might suggest recording to a click track and listening closely to the beat and how the piano interplays with the beat. Meade feels as if his rhythm is the way he wants to play the music so I may not like it but Meade is very satisfied with his rhytmic style.

Finally, I would also suggest a good vocal coach for Meade. Although he has a great voice he needs to realize his limitations. This way he can work to increase his range or accepting his limitations and sign to his strengths.

In the Studio:

Recorded at Minimum Wage Studio, in Richmond, Virginia. The recording quality was well above average with all the instruments allowed proper breathing room. Meade's voice was articulate and cut through the mix very well. I thought the piano was a bit dry. This may have been due to mic placement but not enough to be an issue.

Samples from the CD.

Sweet Tea / Worried Heart/a> / Old Bus 48 / Fat No More/a> / The Last Time / Old South / Me and My Horse / Before You Go / Insomnia Over You / Running on Empty /

Conclusion:

I respect Meade for sending this CD after I gave him a poor review a few years ago. He obviously is happy with this offering and he should be. It's a huge improvement over the last effort. He still needs to work on a few issues but perfection is never realized, but we can always try.

7 stars out of 10.......

Posted by: that's all I read FAIL ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:43PM

The album begins with a song which almost caused me to eject the CD and not write a review at all. The song Sweet Tea reminded me of something you would hear on a children's show. Meade couldn't have begun with a worse offering. I agree.

Posted by: He looks more like college age. ()
Date: December 25, 2013 05:56PM

He looks more like a college ape
Attachments:
IMG_20131225_175340.jpg

Posted by: Best review ever? ()
Date: December 25, 2013 07:19PM

Is that Meade's best review ever?

Getting told to go to vocal coach?

Has Meade gone to a vocal coach?

Date: December 26, 2013 03:49AM

Meades vocal coach
Attachments:
deliv-kid.jpg

Posted by: deliverence from evil ()
Date: December 26, 2013 12:27PM

BEH Wrote:
> Meades vocal coach
Like other inbreds Meade's entire life can is based on the film 'deliverance'.

Here he is with his date after his High School prom.
Attachments:
deliverance-squeal-like-a-pig-o.gif

Date: December 26, 2013 12:29PM

Meade would gladly 'squeal like a pig' for a Happy Meal.

Posted by: finally a hit single ()
Date: December 26, 2013 02:04PM

BEH Wrote:
> Meade would gladly 'squeal like a pig' for a Happy
> Meal.

If he recorded it he might actually sell a few albums.

Don't underestimate the weirdo and pervert market.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.