HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
whats more important..
Posted by: debating ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:10PM

job #1 been at for years, big company, loyal boss, crappy raises, very little room for advancement. so pretty much loyal boss is the only + i listed
job #2 better pay, so close to home i could walk (job #1 25 min drive w/o traffic), smaller newer company, better hours (at least one sat am spent at job #1, job 2 is not open on weekend and closes early on friday)
wwyd?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: whats more important..
Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:13PM

How sure are you that job number two won't fail sometime soon... Always a concern with new companies... Would suck to have to go crawling back to job number one when job two goes under...

Signatures are for fags

Posted by: debating ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:43PM

its not too new, newer to metro area but been getting bigger every year, theyre taking clients from my current company as we speak

Posted by: hard call ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:50PM

if your sure that job number 2 wont fail and you will be able to excel at it job number 2 has more pluses. Its a hard call though since at one you have security which is big in a time like this.

What are the benefits of each job

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:54PM

Got to think about benefits too. Small companies almost never have the health or disability coverage or retirement contributions that larger companies do. Of course there are a few exceptions.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: November 28, 2011 05:59PM

Just from the way you worded it, it sounds like you already believe the second job is better. Career progression and risk often go hand in hand.

Posted by: b1oody b1isters ()
Date: November 28, 2011 06:00PM

you should choose the job that will suck less

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: November 28, 2011 07:03PM

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I'm in a similar spot...been at this job awhile. Small company, crappy raises, average benefits, boring work, sometimes some shitty hours. For all of those reasons, I'd like to leave.

But on the positive, our boss is loyal (no layoffs during recession) and I've built up a level of cred to the point that nobody questions what I do or where I go. It's allowed me a lot of opportunity to slack off here and there. And who knows if I could ever get that in another place. Plus you never know which company is ready to go belly up nowadays - they don't tell you that in the interview process.

Everything is calculated risk.

Posted by: open eyez ()
Date: November 28, 2011 07:07PM

debating Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> job #1 been at for years, big company, loyal boss,
> crappy raises, very little room for advancement.
> so pretty much loyal boss is the only + i listed
> job #2 better pay, so close to home i could walk
> (job #1 25 min drive w/o traffic), smaller newer
> company, better hours (at least one sat am spent
> at job #1, job 2 is not open on weekend and closes
> early on friday)
> wwyd?

Jump at job #2. Any job requiring work on a Saturday is insane. I would really do your homework and assess all the risks with job #2. How stable is the company? Do they rely on one product, or one big customer? How profitable are they? Ask them what they think the biggest risk to their business is - if they can't answer quickly, that would be unsettling.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.