HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
2013-2014 Washington Capitals Season Thread
Posted by: Caps Jihadist ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:27PM

Well, Caps fans...another season is upon us. Our beloved Red Rockers open tonight against the Chicago Drainage Basin Indigenous Peoples. I think it's "great" that Ovechkin will finally get to see a Stanley Cup banner hoisted to the rafters...too bad it's in someone ELSE'S barn!

So here we are 40 years after the team's inception and we're asking ourselves once again if it's going to be a Stanley Cup or another lost opportunity? They don't have the horses right now but I am optimistic that things could change. There are some good pieces here AND some glaring holes.

So long Jeff Schultz, Mike Ribeiro and just a few days ago...Matthieu Perreault. Schultz was a traffic cone out there, Ribiero will be missed especially on the powerplay but at the price point he signed for, it was the right decision for WSH. I would've liked for Perreault to stay but, they brought in Grabovski (which is a decision I am NOT in favor of...this guy is Semin 2.0) and they are trying make room for Tom Wilson who had a good if unspectacular debut last season.

The team will fully benefit by having a full training camp under Coach Oates which NOT having in last year's lockout shortened year and having a new coach really contributed to the horribly slow start. We need career years from Ovechkin, Backstrom and MIKE FUCKING GREEN. Mike Green you are in an offensive system now...don't take unnecessary risks and leave the team out to dry defensively but, push the puck...skate hard and CARRY the puck into the offensive zone. If the opposition comes out to cover you at the point, look for the sharp angle pass to someone down low. If they lay off you and leave a shooting lane open? TAKE THE SHOT, FUCKER! And most importantly...put it under the crossbar and between the pipes at the same time. Don't hesitate...don't wait...see the shot and take it. And for FUCK'S SAKE...would someone PLEASE setup in front of the net, create screens and knock in rebounds?!?!

At the other end...Holtby, Neuvy...Neuvy, Holtby...someone, anyone please assert yourself as the starting goalie. Nobody has EVER won the Stanley Cup goaltending by committee. You're both great...step up. And d-men? Let's clear the crease you mopes!

Finally, the NHL has installed the hybrid icing rule to reduce the big collisions against the end boards as players race for the touch up. The league is trying to reduce injuries and lengthen careers. I recall Joe Reekie, Mark Tinordi and Pat Peake all suffering huge injuries as a result of getting there for touch ups. For those not in the know...when the puck is dumped into the zone from behind the redline and crosses the goal line without being touched, the referee raises his arm to indicate a delayed icing call. If a defending player reaches the NEAREST face-off dot first? The whistle is blown, icing is formally called and the face-off goes all the way back down to the other end and the offending team may not substitute players. If, however an offensive player gets to the NEAREST face-off dot first, the referee lowers his arm and icing is waived off.

I don't like this rule. I respect the reasons behind it but, this is 2013...players at the NHL level accept the risks of the "job" they have chosen. I have seen many, many goals scored over the decades on dump in plays that would have been whistled as icing under the hybrid icing rule but the offensive player actually closed on the puck between the nearest faceoff dot and made the touch up, swung it to the front of the net and either scored on a bad angle or someone else banged it in. The NHL plays on small rinks so, the hybrid icing rule further nullifies the advantage that fast skaters like Ovechkin have over lumbering defensemen like Zdeno Chara. It could be worse...most Euro leagues play auto-icing where the whistle is blown as soon as the puck crosses the goal line regardless of where the players are or who is closest.

In closing, I like the Caps to make the playoffs but, no Cup again this year. I'm predicting another 2nd round exit. Oh...and let's not forget we'll be seeing the Western Conference teams this season AND we're in a whole new division. No more Southeastern Division!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2013-2014 Washington Capitals Season Thread
Posted by: Don't care ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:32PM

I'm going with the Bruins.
Fuck any team in this area, They always lose! This area is filled with losers.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:38PM

Oh God not hockey season already..........more drunks loose on the streets of DC and NOVA.

Posted by: Well let me tell you... ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:43PM

Caps win the division but will be stunned by the Blue Jackets in the first round.

Posted by: MHV6p ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:49PM

LET'S GO CAPS!
Attachments:
capslock.jpg

Date: October 02, 2013 01:55AM

Should we be shocked that the Caps lost to the Stanley Cup defending Blackhawks in their own building on opening night? Here's the highlights in case you missed it: http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020002&navid=DL|NHL|home

The real shocker was Holtby uncharacteristically LOST this game tonight. He's not Ken Dryden (who stole games) or anything but EVERY SINGLE ONE of the goals he let in (5) were shots/redirects that SHOULD have been stopped. He had some great saves, no question but all of those goals against were preventable. Crawford at the other end? He WON that game with his play. But, when you're the Caps and you score 4 even on the road, even against the Stanley Cup defending Blackhawks...you need to close that game. And once again they don't score on a critical 5-on-3? Ribeiro is missed. Good to see Grabovski scoring and Green scoring, I guess...

Posted by: YGh7J ()
Date: October 02, 2013 08:18AM

Grabovski SHOOTS, HE SCOOOOOOOORES!

Posted by: $12 warm beer ()
Date: October 02, 2013 08:22AM

6-4 loss, harbinger of things to come

Posted by: Dale Hunter ()
Date: October 02, 2013 08:36AM

Agree with most of the OP, except for the playoff prediction. It'll be a 1st round exit.

Date: October 04, 2013 01:53AM

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020009&navid=nhl:topheads

Well, well, well...so, game 2 is in the books and they're 1-1. I dislike that they are playing without the lead but, it shows stones to come back and win a game like this tonight.

I like what I'm seeing so far from Grabovski and Ovechkin, especially on the PP. Holtby is still off his game and Neuvirth did a nice job in relief tonight. And they need to stay with him until he loses. Oates was quoted as saying that he just thinks Holtby had a hiccup with his game tonight and he is not concerned.

The defense is not clearing the crease. I know one of those goals by CAL was on the PP but, you have to keep the slot open so the goalie can see the shot. If you're patrolling that area properly and a goal is scored on a big slapper from the point, that's on the goalie.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: October 04, 2013 02:50PM

I'm still waiting for Oats to come out dressed like a drag queen.

Holtby does not seem to have the mettle for being and NHL starting goalkeeper.

Its drives me crazy that they don't move the puck more while on 5-3 power platys.

Did not think Ovie was going to score in the SO, typically he does that weaving and curling then shoot from the wing.

New icing rules suck, the NHL does not exist for the sake of the players, it exists to entertain the fans. Who knew touch up icing was such a big problem.

Date: October 07, 2013 05:32PM

Former Capital, Craig Berube and all around ugly dude is the head coach of the Flyers. He is probably most remembered for the racial slur he made while playing for our hometown team.

Anyways, who knew this enforcer knew anything about hockey.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=685771&navid=DL|NHL|home

Date: October 07, 2013 08:53PM

Wow...Berube. That's a name I haven't heard in 15 years. I remember despising that guy when he played for PHI in the late 80's. He had some decent years in WSH (as enforcers go...) but it was always weird having him on the squad here after so many tough-fought games against his former team. He's been coaching for 7 years now in the professional ranks so, I guess that means he's ready.

Peter Laviolette is a great coach and will likely land a job within the year. He won the Cup in 2006 with CAR so, he'll get offers in the NHL as long as he wants to coach.

Date: October 16, 2013 11:43PM

NYR shuts out Caps 2-0

Here's your lowlights: http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020094&navid=nhl:topheads

Caps drop to 2-5, 6 points behind division leading PIT.

Oh, I'm sure Ovie and Grabovski are just laughing it up over free vodka at The Russia House tonight. No doubt telling themselves, "Meh...it's early. All we need to do is play well enough to get the 8th spot. We're fine. More vodka!"

When does it end? When does it fucking end you fucking fucks?!?! I honestly don't care if they lose. That's fine. But, play hard and make the opposition earn the victory. Give the paying fans something worth watching even if you must lose.

And holy fuck...YET another 5-on-3 PP tonight where the Caps don't score? A PP should be a goal. Every time. Every fucking time. If you don't score on the PP, you send the message to the league that you can take penalties against the Caps and not pay for it on the scoreboard. And a 5-on-3? Are you fucking kidding me?!?!? A 5-on-3 should be 2 goals every time because you'll always get some 5-on-4 following the 5-on-3 goal. 36.4% is a nice PP percentage...it leads the league. But, it didn't mean shit tonight.

Oh...and they run a statistic that Ovechkin has more shots on goal in his first 600 games than anyone in the history of the league since they've kept shot totals? WHO FUCKING CARES?!?!? Ovechkin has zero rings, the Caps have zero Cups...The Montreal Canadiens have played 94 seasons in the NHL and they have 24 Cups. That's it. That's the list.

When does it fucking end?!?!?

Date: November 02, 2013 02:53AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AYtMQ4V-s4

Well, Caps fans it was a rollback the calendar night up in ol' Philly tonight! No Ovechkin? No PROBLEM! And in retrospect, it's probably a good thing he wasn't in the lineup tonight regardless of the score.

So, the Caps win...on the road...in PHI by a score of 7-0 with a Joel Ward hattrick. This was the worst loss by PHI to WSH since WSH entered the league in 1974 and PHI's worst shutout loss since 1994.

Look, I enjoy a good scrap as much as the next fan but, I think this was excessive. I get that these two teams are renewing an old rivalry in a re-formed division. I get that PHI was losing 7-0 but, this is a regular season game barely one month into the season. If someone takes a run at one of your guys...that's one thing but for a team (PHI in this case) to just decide, "Oh...we're down by 7 in a regular season game so, let's goon it up." Um, no...that's thuggery and NOT what the game is about.

I don't know what Holtby thought he was doing. He clearly did not want to fight Emery and did the best he could. If he wasn't fully committed to fighting him, Holtby should've turtled. But more than that...where were the fucking linesmen? You don't let a guy take that bad of a beating in a routine, regular season game. Get in there and shutdown the fight...that's your job.

Caps pick up 2 points and move into 3rd place in the Metropolitan Division, 8 points behind division leading PIT.

Posted by: MLNMx ()
Date: November 02, 2013 10:12PM

nice win tonight. Its a nice change of pace to see the Caps actually SCORE some goals in the shoot out rather than whiff and miss. I like that. the penalties almost did them in but at least they are getting along and scoring some with Alex O.

Posted by: Jx9pc ()
Date: November 02, 2013 10:48PM

Well... the panthers aren't that good really but the caps did play a rather difficult game last night.

it was nice to see a 3 out of 3 on the shootout though. the talent needs to play better on 5 on 5 and we will have a cup.

Posted by: Caps.Jihadist ()
Date: November 02, 2013 11:32PM

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020206&navid=nhl:topheads

Well, another physical battle tonight. Not quite the full-on brawl we saw in PHI last night but once again...no Ovechkin? No problem.

I'm not sure what's going on with the league's perception of WSH right now that they think the Caps can be intimidated. Yes, we have lots of non-North Americans on the squad but, it's pretty clear everyone on the team is willing to stand in there, take some abuse and find a way to win the game. You might out-muscle WSH, but they will find a way to outscore and out-defend you to win.

I was very critical of and I am still cautiously optimistic about Grabovsky's long-term impact here with the Caps but, if he continues to play the way he has been playing since the start of the season he has the potential provide a legitimate backup scoring threat to Ovechkin. He skates well, sees the ice well and offers equal parts shooting and passing.

This string of games starting with PHI where they are without Ovechkin could serve as precisely the bonding moment these players have been looking for...for several seasons now. If you can win consistently WITHOUT your best player in the lineup, it should galvanize their confidence and could set the tone for the whole season and into...GULP...the playoffs.

I'd still like to see more of a presence in front of the net at BOTH ends of the ice. Joel Ward looks to be taking on that role in the offensive zone but, the defense is not consistently patrolling the slot. They need to focus on sending a message that if you're going to setup in that area, you have to be willing to pay a price. I'm not advocating any dirty play...there are clearly ways of defending players within the framework of the rules that prevent them from generating offense and/or scoring.

I thought the refs once again lost control of the game late in the third period tonight. One of the Caps defensemen was totally bum rushed with a charge on the point as the PP expired. It was called but, it was a cheap play. Then there was the cut on Johannsson (took stitches and returned) and finally Oleksy getting called on a retaliation slash late because the refs missed the initial slash.

Finally, tonight...I heard one of the dumbest remarks about hockey I've ever heard. Craig Laughlin, while recapping the Holtby/Emery fight last night, was asked if he thought the NHL would ever ban fighting. And he said no...which I agree with. He then went on to say that he thinks there should be a rule where if a team is down by 4 goals or more and they instigate a fight, the instigating player should get a 3-5 game suspension. That's just dumb...

I give Laughlin all the credit in the world. I couldn't stand him as a broadcaster when he started in 1990 following his retirement but he has worked at his craft and over the last 10 years or so has really become very endearing. He's not a hall of fame color analyst but he has a unique style..."look at the sauce on that pass there, Joe!" which I have come to associate directly with the team's branding and will miss him when the day comes that he leaves the booth. Given that he is a former player and has been on the broadcasts for 23 years now, I hope he gets to see the Caps first Cup. And this remark tonight was like a throwback to something he might've said back in 1990.

Posted by: fights ()
Date: November 03, 2013 01:28AM

that brawl.on friday was some sick shit

Date: November 03, 2013 01:30AM

its was nice to see the caps tear appart thr flyers also

Posted by: yxKhw ()
Date: November 03, 2013 09:36AM

There are "rules" to fighting in hockey and generally both players agree to the first. Holtby didn't want to have anything to do with Emery and declined to start a fight but Emery forced the issue. That is unacceptable.

Posted by: Caps.Jihadist ()
Date: November 03, 2013 10:49AM

yxKhw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are "rules" to fighting in hockey and
> generally both players agree to the first. Holtby
> didn't want to have anything to do with Emery and
> declined to start a fight but Emery forced the
> issue. That is unacceptable.

This is EXACTLY what Alan May said on the pre-game. And as a guy who amassed over 1,300 PIMs in 393 games...he would know. You don't bully a guy into a fight who clearly doesn't want to fight. Emery is just a straight up thug. He was pissed off about all the goals he had given up and just wanted to pound on someone. Since he's a goalie, the only person he can square off with is another goalie and when Holtby tried to back out it just made him more angry and he just raged. I cannot believe there will be no suspensions on this...

Date: November 03, 2013 03:52PM

Caps.Jihadist Wrote:
> yxKhw Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > There are "rules" to fighting in hockey and
> > generally both players agree to the first.
> Holtby
> > didn't want to have anything to do with Emery
> and
> > declined to start a fight but Emery forced the
> > issue. That is unacceptable.
>
> This is EXACTLY what Alan May said on the
> pre-game. And as a guy who amassed over 1,300 PIMs
> in 393 games...he would know. You don't bully a
> guy into a fight who clearly doesn't want to
> fight. Emery is just a straight up thug. He was
> pissed off about all the goals he had given up and
> just wanted to pound on someone. Since he's a
> goalie, the only person he can square off with is
> another goalie and when Holtby tried to back out
> it just made him more angry and he just raged. I
> cannot believe there will be no suspensions on
> this...

black *caugh* black

Date: November 14, 2013 04:29PM

I can't believe those chuckleheads are 1 point out of 1st place in the Metropolitan division.

Ovie as of today has 385 goals in 618 games. By the end of this season Ovie will have probably have 400+ goals.

All time #1 is Gretzky with 895 goals in 1,487 games; #2 Gordie Howe with 801 goals in 1,767 games.

Ovie could very well unseat Howe at the #2 spot by the end of his career. Which is strange to think about because for all the goals he has, he isn't known as someone who takes over games. His career could be summed up as "one of the greatest goal scorers ever who wasn't a dominant player".

Posted by: The Grinch ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:53PM

Caps win 4-1 against the blues. That vaults them into First in the METRO with 25 points and fifth place in the Eastern conference. WOOT WOOT!

Posted by: King.Cobra ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:08PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRyPWF_FOg

Niggers, please...

Do NOT let the smooth taste fool ya.

Yes, they are in first place in the division but this is fool's gold right now...and that goes double given the team we're talking about and their history. It's first place and they have 5 months to the start of the playoffs. It's a good not great start and let's not get carried away...niggers.

Posted by: mCCtY ()
Date: November 17, 2013 10:13PM

If they have a decisive win on Wednesday against the Pens I will be super excited. Caps have always hard a hard time winning back to back games against good teams.

Date: November 18, 2013 01:35PM

I think they can win. Its not a matter of being well rested or back to back games. They have the day off. Its proving that they can win regularly on home ice, find lines that work and Defense that will hustle. Yeah Holtby had to stop 47 shots, a career high, but that just means that he is the hot goaltender and rounding into shape. Lets hope this rivals the winning seasons of yore and the caps dont have to do any last minute late season come from behind win every game just to qualify streaks. Hey Anyone else notice the Ducks are winning like crazy too? Think Leonsis overreacted by firing coach BB?

Date: November 18, 2013 02:15PM

The Grinch Wrote:
> Hey Anyone else notice the Ducks are
> winning like crazy too? Think Leonsis overreacted
> by firing coach BB?

That's what Bruce's MO has always been. He can assemble great offensive teams for the regular long haul season, but has never been able to make the adjustments needed to beat tighter playing post season defenses.

Best of luck to the guy, he gave us many great years of exciting hockey.

Date: November 18, 2013 08:48PM

Well lets hope Bruce and the Birds take care of business tonight and swat the Pens down. I'd love to see syd the whiny baby kid cry cuz of two straight losses and sink further down the standings. Tonight may the Ducks Win; Tomorrow may the Capitals beat the penguins. LETS GO CAPS!

Date: November 20, 2013 08:21PM

Caps Pens right now. Is the rivalry still there? Anyone? ANYONE?! Id say yes since Crosby and Ovechkin are at the top of their games right now. Lets hope the caps can avenge the season sweep from last year and five them the winter classic beat down again. Too bad Steckel cant knock the snot outta syd the crybaby kid again. BLAM "but i was just going up ice and he hit my elbow with his face ref!"

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: November 21, 2013 07:22AM

The Grinch Wrote:
> Caps Pens right now. Is the rivalry still there?
> Anyone? ANYONE?! Id say yes since Crosby and
> Ovechkin are at the top of their games right now.
> Lets hope the caps can avenge the season sweep
> from last year and five them the winter classic
> beat down again. Too bad Steckel cant knock the
> snot outta syd the crybaby kid again. BLAM "but i
> was just going up ice and he hit my elbow with his
> face ref!"

Not much of a rivalry when only one team shows up to play. Typical DC sports bullshit.

Date: December 01, 2013 10:37AM

Whelp, it's an extra points that's for sure but the fact that the Caps were riding a one goal lead provided by the fourth line against the last place team sure gives me pause. Hopefully with that undeserved, lucky win the Capitals players and coaches will remind themselves to continually play with intensity at the level of desperation they showed in the closing of this tilt.

Posted by: RocktheRouge ()
Date: December 01, 2013 12:24PM

Choke job waiting to happen. Don't get your hopes up. They'll go up 3-1 on a team in the first round and lose.

Date: December 01, 2013 12:47PM

the Cardiac caps is what they call em. Wish they could win in regulation but they always want to take it to OT or a shoot out. Friggin nuts.

Posted by: RowdyBurns ()
Date: December 01, 2013 03:46PM

The Grinch Wrote:
> the Cardiac caps is what they call em. Wish they
> could win in regulation but they always want to
> take it to OT or a shoot out. Friggin nuts.

Still one heck of a comeback! To to tie up, shorthanded with less than a minute left in the game? Then win it in overtime!? That is uncharacteristic of a DC sports team. Glad i caught that game to watch.

Date: December 15, 2013 06:07PM

you worthless pukes should take a break from the pain train that is the Washington All my Native americans Soap opera and jump on the Washington CAPITALS WINNING BAND WAGON BABY! Thats right. They Fought, they SCORED! it was a SHOOT OUT COME FROM BEHIND VICTORY for THE WASHINGTON NON OFFENSIVE NAMED CAPITALS AND THE BEST PART? THEY BEAT THE LOATHSOME FLYERS OF philadelphia. BLAM!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2013 06:09PM by The Grinch.

Posted by: #52 ()
Date: December 15, 2013 07:22PM

best part was at the end when Ovie stole that pass that was meant for Green and scored! Yeah Green had scored earlier but he is still a total liability on the ice. Dude is a train wreck. Not sure whether he is worth keeping on the team or not. Ovie on the other hand continuing the late game comebacks! LOL heard them called the Cardiac Caps. Seems really fitting.

Posted by: Rockhound ()
Date: December 15, 2013 07:27PM

I feel good about the caps this season. But then again, I feel good about them every season.

Posted by: 9Gvuk ()
Date: December 15, 2013 07:33PM

I see Green falling down constantly. Is something wrong with his skates or is he simply that inept?

Our defense work behind the crease is abysmal. Needs work.

Also, Capitals is offensive to someone, somewhere. We need to change the name.

Date: December 15, 2013 08:05PM

LOVE these three goal comebacks, they're so fun to watch. Congrats to Orlov on his first goal this season, he's been on fire these past two games. Great win- but this will not work in the playoffs, we've seen more then enough times that beating a team 4 times in a playoff can only be done with defence and offence together. if we play like this all year it will be another exit in the 1st or 2nd round. gotta tighten up everywhere in the defensive zone. Yeah I think Caps are one of the most dangerous comeback teams. Overall I think the team is nowhere near as good as they should be, but of all the teams in the NHL I wouldn't want to be protecting a lead against, Caps would be right up there. They can get a lot of spontaneous offense because of skill & speed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.