HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
This commercial puzzles me
Posted by: Commercial Analysis ()
Date: September 07, 2013 12:56AM

Lincoln Concierge commercial.

@ 0:19 a girl walks down the staircase in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqiU_72MOnY

Everything in a commercial is there for a reason. Especially something centered in the frame as she is.

Why the girl?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: This commercial puzzles me
Posted by: feels and hurts ()
Date: September 07, 2013 01:02AM

You actually waste brain power to ponder shit like this?

Posted by: Commercial Analysis ()
Date: September 07, 2013 01:07AM

Not usually but noticed it so now I'm curious what they're trying to make you think.

Posted by: Hollywood Hank ()
Date: September 07, 2013 01:12AM

They probably filmed a bunch of scenarios which included her coming down the stairs to see her man, putting her arm around him, etc. In the end, they chose to use this footage and she ended up mostly on the cutting room floor.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: September 07, 2013 01:16AM

Ford lately has been trying to market Lincoln to affluent demographics in their late 20s and early 30s. I think it was supposed to show a condo/urban couple that are looking to spend their new wealth. Like the previous poster said, the wife was just cut out of the final scene.

FYI: The hot Lincoln concierge is named Jessica Vilchis. Beautiful.

Posted by: brickhouse ()
Date: September 07, 2013 01:20AM

She's there to heighten appeal to men. Even subconsciously, sex sells. Barefoot, legs, skin.

She also extends the appeal beyond single man to couples.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 07, 2013 02:06AM

Interesting. I've never seen this commercial before, but my first reaction was shock. Seriously. I wasn't expecting her to come into the scene from above. A couple of things went through my mind when it happend:

1) The image of a girl walking down kind of slouched in a loose fitting dress like that instatnly reminded me of all these Japanese horror movies like The Ring (something like this http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33200000/the-ring-the-ring-33255133-853-480.png or Grudge http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111121080041/ju-on-the-grudge/images/0/07/Grudge3Kayako3.jpg)

2) WOW...THAT'S REALLY HIGH UP THERE. Clearly that's a skyscaper he's in. Why is she on the stairs outside??? Why are there even open stairs on the outside of a building that tall ??? Are the stairs on the outside?? Suicide? Everyone's familiar with the bare foot = dead (i.e. Paul on the cover of Abbey Road).

3) Skyscaper->stairs-> September 11th.

Now, I just woke up from a nap so maybe my brain isn't working properly. Or maybe it's working unfiltered. But none of that makes me want to buy their car.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 02:13AM by trogdor!.

Posted by: nVkyL ()
Date: September 07, 2013 07:20AM

Some sort of split level apartment (possibly a "loft" of sorts). She is obviously his love interest of one sort or another. Basically, gays stay out of our vehicles.

Posted by: Obama's Dead Delicious Dog ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:11AM

trogdor! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 2) WOW...THAT'S REALLY HIGH UP THERE. Clearly
> that's a skyscaper he's in. Why is she on the
> stairs outside??? Why are there even open stairs
> on the outside of a building that tall ??? Are
> the stairs on the outside?? Suicide? Everyone's
> familiar with the bare foot = dead (i.e. Paul on
> the cover of Abbey Road).
>
>

It appears that way at first glance, but the stairs are actually inside the apartment.

Posted by: He a playa ()
Date: September 07, 2013 09:31AM

brickhouse Wrote:
> She's there to heighten appeal to men. Even
> subconsciously, sex sells. Barefoot, legs, skin.
>
> She also extends the appeal beyond single man to
> couples.

I'll buy the first part, but not the second.

This is all about the dude and directed toward men, not to women/couples. If the latter, then you'd see much more of a presence and involvement. She's completely background. An accessory.

I'd guess that it's more intended to show the guy has it going on. He's not just some wanker checking out fantasy cars and some hot virtual concierge on the Net. He's got a fucking spiral staircase in his apartment! (Which you probably wouldn't notice in the background without the movement down it.) And not only does he have a fucking spiral staircase, he's got a real live woman who he's obviously tagging given her dress coming down it. Buy a Lincoln and you can have a fucking spiral staircase and a woman too.

Posted by: brickhouse ()
Date: September 07, 2013 11:18AM

He a playa Wrote:
> brickhouse Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > She's there to heighten appeal to men. Even
> > subconsciously, sex sells. Barefoot, legs,
> skin.
> >
> > She also extends the appeal beyond single man
> to
> > couples.
>
>
> I'll buy the first part, but not the second.
>
> This is all about the dude and directed toward
> men, not to women/couples. If the latter, then
> you'd see much more of a presence and involvement.
> She's completely background. An accessory.
>
> I'd guess that it's more intended to show the guy
> has it going on. He's not just some wanker
> checking out fantasy cars and some hot virtual
> concierge on the Net. He's got a fucking spiral
> staircase in his apartment! (Which you probably
> wouldn't notice in the background without the
> movement down it.) And not only does he have a
> fucking spiral staircase, he's got a real live
> woman who he's obviously tagging given her dress
> coming down it. Buy a Lincoln and you can have a
> fucking spiral staircase and a woman too.

Agreed.

Posted by: Baconator ()
Date: September 07, 2013 11:28AM

Goddammit! Now I want a new Lincoln, some hot pussy and most of all, a fucking staircase!!!

Posted by: Spiralgyra ()
Date: September 07, 2013 02:04PM

Baconator Wrote:
> Goddammit! Now I want a new Lincoln, some hot
> pussy and most of all, a fucking staircase!!!

Spiral fucking staircase! Any old Camry driver can have a regular fucking staircase.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: September 08, 2013 12:41AM

>Buy a Lincoln and you can have a fucking spiral staircase and a woman too.

Not only that, it appears to be early morning - the light coming in the window is low-angled and there's a coffee cup on the table. Nice looking place, and notice that the guy seems to be wearing the same clothes he had on before, possibly the night before. My interpretation: this isn't his place - his slick new car got him some tail last night.

You may think it odd, feels and hurts, to think about these things, but I guarantee you some folks put a great deal of thought into all of this. It's interesting to try and figure out what folks had in mind when they carefully crafted the 30 seconds you see.

In related news, anybody else notice the surprising percentage of commercials that can be summed up as either 'assholes use our product' or 'using our product will make you an asshole'? A lot of them are going for humor, of course, but it still surprises me that this is so common a theme. I can see why the Lincoln folks want me to think that buying their car will get me both money and laid, but why do the chip people think I'll identify with idiots who walk into someone's home, mistake it for a restaurant, and start eating their food? I know that's not what the chip people are going for but the people who buy the chips (which will hopefully include me, now that I know how good they are) are still assholes. Doesn't make me want to buy chips.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 08, 2013 12:52AM

abelard Wrote:

> He's all dressed, she's barefoot.
> One possible interpretation: this isn't his place,
> it's her's, and his slick new car got him some
> tail last night.
>

Hmmm. I still think he's about to be killed. You never see her right hand. In that hand is a butcher knife.

Date: September 08, 2013 12:57AM

>Hmmm. I still think he's about to be killed. You never see her right hand. In that hand is a butcher knife.

Yeah, but when the police find his body, it'll be slowly decomposing in his cool new Lincoln.. The Lincoln: it's not just for cool rap-guy drive-bys anymore!

Posted by: @abelard ()
Date: September 08, 2013 01:28AM

'Tail'? Really? I expect so much more from you. I think of you as one of the few educated, cultured, dare I say debonaire posters here. Please don't disappoint.

Date: September 08, 2013 05:23AM

>'Tail'? Really? I expect so much more from you.

I think the term is clear and to the point. The woman on the stairs is just a barefoot, vague, but kinda sexy woman whom the guy seems to have a casual attitude towards. I don't think she is meant to be his wife, or possibly even steady girlfriend, just part of the 'lincoln lifestyle' like the cool apartment. She's even out of focus, as opposed to the made-up concierge woman, who went from being a mirage to a computer avatar, but still holds the guy's rapt attention.

'Tail' covers it nicely - a woman considered sexually, largely devoid of other identity. I think she's part of his reward for buying the car, vaguely defined in other regards. I'm not saying that I think all woman are 'tail', I'm saying the Lincoln guys are implying that this woman is.

ETA: oh, and just to squander my cool-guy cred even further, I'll confess that the commercial didn't really reach me the way the makers intended, in that it didn't make me want to consider their product. What caught my eye - the table the guy is sitting at (live edge, solid wood, good color - nice) and his coffee mug (good size, good shape). I hardly noticed the woman in the back at all, which I probably would have as a younger, not-married guy. I'm not saying, by the by, that I don't notice 'totty', but they have to be more 'Victoria's Secret women parading in a strange mansion in their underwear' blatant to really catch my eye. I'm not that cool, just a guy who likes to use words precisely.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2013 05:43AM by abelard.

Posted by: Madison Avenue ()
Date: September 08, 2013 08:05AM

If you DO NOT remember the commercial at all: FAIL

If you DO remember the commercial but DO NOT remember the product: ACCEPTABLE

If you DO remember the commercial and DO remember the product: PASS

If you DO remember the commercial, DO remember the product and DO go on the internet to talk about it or tell your friends: HUGE BONUS for Madison Avenue Ad Agency

Lincoln commercial: Grand Slam Home Run

Posted by: Maple Avenue ()
Date: September 08, 2013 12:42PM

Madison Avenue Wrote:
> If you DO NOT remember the commercial at all:
> FAIL
>
> If you DO remember the commercial but DO NOT
> remember the product: ACCEPTABLE
>
> If you DO remember the commercial and DO remember
> the product: PASS
>
> If you DO remember the commercial, DO remember the
> product and DO go on the internet to talk about it
> or tell your friends: HUGE BONUS for Madison
> Avenue Ad Agency
>
> Lincoln commercial: Grand Slam Home Run

Meh, not really. I doubt most here would remember it if it wasn't posted here. It's not a commercial which really stands out on its own. Just yet another car commercial and not a particularly good one at that. And I'm sure not going to purchase or even consider the product based on it.

I will say that the commercial properly represents the product - the illusion of having something going on that's not really happening. The reality is that the apartment is either a studio or a design model that virtually nobody actually owns which was rented for the comercial, spiral staircases are kind of a pain in the ass, being an actor the guy's probably gay, the woman is working two jobs because she's not a good enough to land a more significant role, and the Lincoln will be leased by some 50+ balding old dude who can't actually afford it or, even less so, the BMW 7 Series that he really wants.

Date: September 08, 2013 02:24PM

I'd have to agree with Maple about the effectiveness of this commercial - I may have seen it on tv but I have no recollection of it, and only really looked at it when it was linked here.

It also strikes me as an air ball as commercials go. Surely Lincoln knows who buys their cars and they are aiming this marketing at 50+ balding dudes who want to see themselves as driving the same car well-heelded 30-year-old hipster dudes. One of many problems: 30-year-old hipster dudes don't actually drive lincolns. Also, not sure how many actual 50+ ball dudes want to see themselves as a 30-year-old hipster, which is why BMW commercials seem to usually feature hot chicks as drivers or Roger Sterling types. Seems like the lincoln guys are aiming at a very narrow target and even then I'm not sure they hit it.

Posted by: @ abelard ()
Date: September 08, 2013 02:37PM

you are way over analyzing... everything. Don't try to put so much into your abelard character, it comes off as odd and unnatural.

also, roger sterling, the man that plays him, has been in several lincoln commercials about a year ago.

Date: September 08, 2013 03:18PM

>you are way over analyzing... everything. Don't try to put so much into your abelard character, it comes off as odd and unnatural.

Hee - professional hazard. My job is thinking about things but I forget how this comes across in the real world. What you call 'over analyzing' I call 'fun' - you'd be surprised at the furious rows I've had with several kids over whether or not the Slitherns, once identified by the sorting hat, should be taken out and shot.

Oh and Abelard is a pseudonym but not a character - I'm actually this off-putting in real life.

>also, roger sterling, the man that plays him, has been in several lincoln commercials about a year ago.

Yep - see, those commercials I remember. They should stick with him.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.