HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Moving to Portland, Maine
Posted by: Somali Mann ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:14PM

My job is relocating me to Portland, Maine for 8 months starting on November 19th. I volunteered for this assignment because of opportunity for advancement and the chance of living another state. Has anyone ever lived or have been to that city and could share any info about the place? I looked it up on Google Earth and it looks pretty and pretty clean. I wont know exactly if the company is putting me in a long term hotel or they would be getting a place to rent.

But i would appreciate any info you guy's have about that city.

Gracias.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving to Portland, Maine
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:18PM

I hear it gets cold in the winter

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:20PM

I've been in the Summer, it was nice and cool. Can't speak for November.

Clean city, funny accents. The Mainers look super serious but are not as bad as they appear. Lobster rolls could be had for $5.

I was there about 12 hours.

Sell everything and go, trust me, you'll love it.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:20PM

Hope you like the dark. Sunset every afternoon around 3:30pm and grey skies 7 of the 8 months you'll be there. Maine is awesome May through October.

Posted by: Mr GFR ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:32PM

Its a great city in the SUMMER time. I would not like to be there for the winter and I like the cold and snow. Peak's Island is a cool place. The downtown area is fun and lots of great bars. Lots of great sea food. Lobster is everywhere including street vendors selling it on hotdog buns. I was like what the fuck the first time I saw that. Who puts lobster on hotdog buns?

Posted by: Perspectives ()
Date: July 08, 2013 09:52PM

That area of Maine is actually rather nice, particularly if you don't have to stay for the winter (which you can say about most of Maine).

Portland has a lot of nifty old shops and historical areas as well as the harbor. You should also visit Old Orchard Beach during the (very short) summer. Yes the water is bearable and the beach is rather quaint and enjoyable.

I also found the folks to be really nice to people "not from here". (as in from further south)

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: July 08, 2013 10:46PM

I vacation there with a group of friends every June, and it's a great little city. The downtown area is small and walkable, with a lot of cool shops and restaurants, and you're very close to the beach area (the water's a lot clearer than VA or MD). As long as you won't miss the big city, it seems like a great place to live.

Posted by: everyyear ()
Date: July 08, 2013 10:54PM

We have a family lake house 1hr from portland been going there since 84. Portland is diverse. Its a poor college town with a seaport. Cool art, great seafood but some panhandlers in the city. Weather is moderate compared to inland. Winters are long.

Dont just stay in the city. Go west 1 hr and its some of the most beautiful country you will ever see with clear lakes every where. In the winter there is good skiing within 1-3 hours. Lots of snowmobiling too.

The ocean is cold but there are a few warm beaches - use google.

Posted by: Jon43 ()
Date: July 08, 2013 10:57PM

Actually, very jealous. Portland is one of my favrotite cities of all time. Yes, it gets cold and snowy in the winter, and the sun disappears wicked early in the winter However, lots of fantastic restaurants, bars, and music venues.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: July 08, 2013 11:28PM

Either find a place that's near your work or practice driving in the snow. Also, invest in a nice pair of boots and a warm jacket, which you'd do well to buy there. If you rent, make sure the place is well insulated or that they pay for your heat - it can add up.

As all have said, Maine is beautiful. Look around, have fun, and keep warm.

Posted by: AL COHOLIC ()
Date: July 08, 2013 11:38PM

You'll love Allagash beer (local micro brewery) a good handmade donut shop near the interstate and some good bars/restaurant on th waterfront There are a bunch of hobo and young hippie douchebag pan handlers though. The hippies looked like Heroin addicts and are aggressive, I suggest you ward them off with a bar of soap.

Posted by: Good Vibrations ()
Date: July 08, 2013 11:40PM

Who puts lobster on a hot dog roll? Anyone who is making, or wants something called a lobster roll. Or if you are trying to appeal to the out-of-towners, call it a Lobstah Roll.

Date: July 09, 2013 12:41AM

Oh yeah, I found the lobster rolls to be incredibly overrated. But fresh lobster. Mmm.

Posted by: Uncle Albert ()
Date: July 09, 2013 01:06AM

There's a hilarious TV show about Portland, it's called Portlandia

http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia

Posted by: Mainer ()
Date: July 09, 2013 02:55AM

Our state bird is the black fly. They are most active late in what we call the mud season, March to May, and into June and July.

Posted by: jim143 ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:28AM

Uncle Albert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a hilarious TV show about Portland, it's
> called Portlandia
>
> http://www.ifc.com/shows/portlandia

Wrong Portland (Oregon).

Posted by: Nebb ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:42AM

Lucky bastard. I'm jealous that you're leaving the NOVA shithole and I'm not.

Posted by: Portlandia ()
Date: July 09, 2013 06:49AM

Nice small downtown area, which has hockey and a minor leage baseball team. LL Bean has their corporate store, which is open 24hrs a day and is enourmous about 30 minutes away, if that. Fresh seafood, temperate summers and nice people. Can't beat it.

Posted by: Sleepy Holla ()
Date: July 09, 2013 08:44AM

Being from Maine originally, I have to say it's a beautiful place. Yes, It has winter and cold, but Portland is further down enough for a great location for trips to Boston and other parts of New England. Taking day or W/E trips to Bar Harbor and exploring the coast is very easy. Tons of small towns, Diners, and history unchanged. Ski areas in the winter are not that far. Real food and real people. Enjoy.

Posted by: fairfax for me ()
Date: July 09, 2013 08:48AM

I prefer Fairfax. Traffic, high cost of living, high taxes, no one speaks English, illegals, soccer moms, and Gerry Connolly.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: July 09, 2013 08:55AM

Do they all say.....the caaaaa is paaaaaaked in the yaaaaaad?

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 09, 2013 09:10AM

_White_288.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 08:19AM by WingNut.

Posted by: Tray von Martin ()
Date: July 09, 2013 04:18PM

Move to Lewiston instead, lots more Somalis there.

Posted by: New Englander ()
Date: July 09, 2013 09:45PM

Just watch out when driving. They call the Massachusetts tourists mastards because they drive so aggressively. You will need to slow down and be more courteous when driving up there. People actually let you change lanes in front of them without leaning on the horn or speeding up to block you. Make sure you have some squash pie, milder flavor than pumpkin pie. Winters can be very long, cold and icy.

Date: July 09, 2013 09:54PM

I always found the Quebecois tourists to be worse drivers than the Massholes (no offense to Mass people...I just like the word Masshole.)

And there are a ton of Canadian tourists there. They almost outnumber the locals in the summer.

It is hard to overstate how beautiful the summers are there, though. If only it lasted longer.

Posted by: Sharon B. ()
Date: July 09, 2013 09:56PM

fairfax for me Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I prefer Fairfax. Traffic, high cost of living,
> high taxes, no one speaks English, illegals,
> soccer moms, and Gerry Connolly.

Why can't I get any love?

Posted by: good times ()
Date: July 09, 2013 10:49PM

Love it in Maine. Get use to dealing with nice people, people who will say hello and have no problem talking to you. No rush hour to speak of, compared to this area. The winters suck ass! Portland is ok during the winter because you're on the coast, but it still sucks.
Enjoy your time in Maine. I would move back but I can't deal with such a short summer. Then again, I do miss that Place.

Posted by: Hay Zeus ()
Date: July 10, 2013 12:20PM

Don't ask about raising the Somali flag over the post office or anywhere else for that matter.

Posted by: Main Deserves You ()
Date: July 10, 2013 04:15PM

It will be too cold for a skinny to survive.

How long before you move 20 of your cousins in?

Posted by: ronny203 ()
Date: July 12, 2013 01:11AM

you might honestly go weeks without seeing anything but white people lol

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.