HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Palin vs Biden
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: September 22, 2008 04:13PM

VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE
TIME-DATE: 9 p.m. EDT, Thursday, Oct. 2.
PLACE: Washington University, St. Louis, Mo.
SUBJECT: Domestic and foreign policy.

Does Palin even stand a chance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Palin vs Biden
Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:11PM

it is all about expectations....no one expects her to do well..so when she at least doesnt make any major mistakes her credibility will be increased by just standing on the same stage as Biden.

Posted by: Lopter ()
Date: September 22, 2008 07:58PM

I can just see her answering the question now

Posted by: Voter ()
Date: September 25, 2008 03:03PM

I'm actually pretty surprised at just how bad Palin does in interviews. After her convention speech I thought she would do pretty well with the press. It is awfully clear though that she isn't ready for prime time. No wonder they are keeping her away from the press.

Posted by: Harry Palmer ()
Date: September 25, 2008 03:55PM

It doesnt matter to me if Sarah does well in debate or not. I still
will not vote for an Obama/Biden ticket under any circumstances.
Biden is certainly a MasterDebator but otherwise worthless.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: September 25, 2008 05:25PM

She got her bangs cut.

Posted by: Numb Chuck ()
Date: September 25, 2008 06:14PM

Harry Palmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesnt matter to me if Sarah does well in
> debate or not. I still
> will not vote for an Obama/Biden ticket under any
> circumstances.
> Biden is certainly a MasterDebator but otherwise
> worthless.

Well, you'll certainly be the outcast of Northern Virginia then. We Democrats love to make fun of people like you. I strongly urge you to move to the bowels of Appalacia where the land is plentiful and the intelligence is lacking. Don't worry, I'm sure they'll take you in.

Date: September 25, 2008 06:36PM

Another good one:

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 25, 2008 06:52PM

Katie confirmed with Henry Kissinger that he does support unconditional discussions with Iran leaders.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 25, 2008 07:54PM

Voter Wrote:
>>> Another good one:

Good lord is that embarrassing. This chick makes Dan Quayle seem stately.

.....the potential for a new joke about "Bushisms" is very high after seeing that....

Posted by: Jenny L ()
Date: September 26, 2008 09:31AM

That is scary

Posted by: Narp ()
Date: September 26, 2008 10:38AM

What the hell is she talking about?

Date: September 26, 2008 11:00AM

From Ed Schultz:

McCain Camp insiders say Palin "clueless"
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people
are more than concerned about Palin. The campaign has held
a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as "disastrous." One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, "What are we going to do?" The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is "clueless."

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 26, 2008 11:23AM

>> the Alaska governor is "clueless"

And so are the nimrods that put her on the ticket in the first place. What the hell were they expecting??

The GOP has actually managed to find someone more embarrassing than Bush.

Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 26, 2008 02:16PM

Biden isn't exactly on the good side of this argument. Interesting that the Iranians use Biden to help embolden their policies...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/25/AR2008082502337_pf.html

...Bush has been a polarizing figure, but most senators realize that partisanship should never trump national security. In early 2007, evidence mounted that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps was planning terrorist activities in Iraq. An August 2007 National Intelligence Estimate found that "Iran has been intensifying aspects of its lethal support for select groups of Iraqi Shia militants" and that "Explosively formed penetrator (EFP) attacks have risen dramatically." The next month, the Senate considered a bipartisan amendment to designate the Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organization, an important step to aid nonviolent efforts to deny it funds and financing. Biden was one of only 22 senators to vote against it. "I voted against the amendment to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guard as a terrorist organization because I don't trust this administration," he said. Distrust of the U.S. president is the nature of politics, but skepticism about foreign dictators and their Brown Shirts is the backbone of judgment.

No matter. Biden's political games have made him Tehran's favorite senator. As Gen. David Petraeus struggled to unite Iraqis across the ethnic and sectarian divide, Iran's Press TV seized on Biden's plan for partitioning Iraq and featured his statements with the headline "US plans to disintegrate Iraq." Biden's attack-dog statements about U.S. policy failures emboldened Iranian hard-liners to defy diplomacy. In the Dec. 7, 2007, official sermon, Ayatollah Mohammad Kashani speaking on behalf of Iran's supreme leader, declared, "This Senator [Biden] correctly says Israel could not suppress Hizbullah in Lebanon, so how can the U.S. stand face-to-face with a nation of 70 million? This is the blessing of the Guardianship of the Jurists [the theocracy] . . . which plants such thoughts in the hearts of U.S. senators and forces them to make such confessions." The crowd met his statement with refrains of "Death to America."

Brilliant. And he was chosen to help Obama with foreign policy experience...

Biden, with all his years in the Senate manages to embolden Iran with his policy judgment. So here comes Palin, who no one really believes has FP credentials, and no matter what she says (and arguably her statements aren't that great) she will likely get trounced for it. Even the Kissinger policy has many caveats about setting up conditions to make it so Iran will come to the table, or even start with some back channel negotiations to try and get to some common ground before having open talks with them.

Personally though, I would rather when they ask Palin FP questions she doesn't really have a good grasp on, she just admit it. The people planning to vote for McCain aren't really going to be swayed either way by her not having good FP experience yet - mainly it just gives the media something else to crow about.

It would be good though for Obama to really articulate how he plans to go about having these unconditional talks with Iran.

Posted by: Taco Trump ()
Date: March 30, 2016 04:29PM

I win you lose

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.