HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Crying Baby Next Door Cries All Day & Night
Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: September 22, 2008 10:42AM

--

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2009 07:33PM by Expensive Jeans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crying Baby Next Door Cries All Day & Night
Posted by: 496 ()
Date: September 22, 2008 10:53AM

Hopefully they will shut you up...with a baseball bat.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 22, 2008 10:56AM

Tell this kid one of those dumb stories of yours, that should have him sleeping in no time.

Date: September 22, 2008 10:57AM

those stories are yesterday's news...

grew out of them a long time ago.

i am now just a casual forum reader looking for a bit of help

Posted by: Pope Benedict XVI ()
Date: September 22, 2008 11:06AM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those stories are yesterday's news...
>
> grew out of them a long time ago.
>
> i am now just a casual forum reader looking for a
> bit of help

You are beyond help my Son. There is no hope for you. Satan
has taken you over and there is no return. Goodbye.

Date: September 22, 2008 11:11AM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> The crying baby next door cries all day and night.
>
>
> My question to you all, specifically parents
> whose(sp) kids are now past crying age -- what can
> I come at them with? I want to be like "Hi
> Karen...ya know, I was reading a magazine, and
> learned that kids whose parents do not make them
> stop crying often times turn out to be XYZ..."
>
> thanks in advance. srs replies only

How old is the baby?

I have three kids. One was simply a "crier" when he was younger. Depending on the age, there is probably nothing the parents can do. I would suggest you buy earplugs. I guess you could take it up with the parents or building management. But odds are you will just piss everyone off and still end up with a crying baby to contend with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 11:18AM by WashingToneLocian.

Date: September 22, 2008 11:17AM

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2009 09:52PM by Expensive Jeans.

Date: September 22, 2008 11:20AM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> I've never really been around/met any young kids
> but he is at walking/riding big wheel age -- but
> cries so much, that is what confuses me..
>
> I will venture the guess of 3 if that makes
> sense...
>
> it is really irritating to hear it go from crying
> to talking, then crying, then talking, then
> banging around, then crying, then talking.....like
> his is just throwing these fits and its parents
> dont handle it properly
>
> i mean of course things will change if/when i ever
> have a kid but right now screw them theyre
> obnoxious smelly, loud and ugly

Three seems a bit old for this kind of behavior. However, it's not always the parenting that contributes to this. If the kid is prone to be ADHD, there is nothing they can do until the kid is about six or seven and can be properly diagnosed.

Posted by: been there as parent ()
Date: September 22, 2008 01:41PM

You don't mention the age of the kids, but it is very common for babies to cry through the night until they are six months old.

Personally I wouldn't say anything at all. Having had one colicky baby, it is a very frustrating and trying time for new parents. The parents are getting even less sleep than you if it is any consolation.

I know it isn't fair that you have to put up with it as it isn't your kid and I totally understand that. But if you add to a new parent's frustration the kid is more at risk for being shaken and otherwise abused if in the parents' sleep-deprived state has to be more concerned about neighbors on top of everything else.

Just wait it out, it will improve.

Posted by: been there as parent ()
Date: September 22, 2008 01:43PM

Sorry, I see you later mentioned the kid was 3, never mind. It's some other problem, probably centered on lack of disciplining abilities by parent(s).

Date: September 22, 2008 02:51PM

Maybe having a douchebag for a neighbor has scarred him.....

Date: September 22, 2008 03:23PM

I always hear this crap about the parents' lack of discipline. As I said, I have three kids. One was a complete terror for the first three years and the other two were angels. My parenting wasn't any different. Sometimes you just end up with a kid that is difficult and nothing you can do is going to change that.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: September 25, 2008 10:50PM

Get a dog, either one of those little yippie ones, or an extremely large one, and teach it to bark every time the phone rings, and then all day while at work, call your home phone every 10 minutes.

I'd suggest leaving the stereo cranked up all day, but the police could cite you with a noise violation or something. I think with a dog, you might get away with it a lot longer.

Posted by: Bacon ()
Date: September 26, 2008 02:52PM

It's a shame people raise babies in apartments anyway. Everybody else gets to listen to the crying and running and stomping around. There's really nothing you can do, except move to another apartment.

I had a similar situation recently with the upstairs neighbor: crying kid, no curfew, running and falling and stomping around all hours of the night. It really sounded like they were bowling, or wrestling, and about to come through the ceiling and complaining to them just made it worse. Some people just really suck.

Posted by: Good Baby ()
Date: September 26, 2008 05:11PM

A 3 year old is not a baby. Luckily my 2 month old is an angel and as quiet as can be in our appt.
Now Im not advocating child abuse, but really - Parents beat your kids a little. I think our generation turned out ok-ish. A child that has a healthy fear of their parents will think twice before acting like a little shit.

Date: September 26, 2008 08:55PM

I will expand on Bob's advice. Get a dog and feed the baby to it.

Posted by: Yuck ()
Date: September 26, 2008 10:32PM

I feel your pain. I once lived next door to Democrats. Wah Wah Wah day and night.

Date: September 26, 2008 10:51PM

Yuck Wrote:
> I feel your pain. I once lived next door to
> Democrats. Wah Wah Wah day and night.

I guess that's better than living a floor below a neocon, just imagine all that goose stepping.

Way to turn a completely non-political thread into your personal tirade against your perceived enemies. Partisan hack.

Posted by: Yuck ()
Date: September 28, 2008 08:59PM

See if this works better for you. I used to live nextdoor to Republican bankers once. Wah wah wah. The non-political point here is that best way to deal with this situation is to roll with the punches. Lighten up.

Posted by: Chica ()
Date: September 29, 2008 10:08PM

You should call social services. There must be something going on in that apartment that isn't right. No child should cry day and night. Maybe its being abused or neglected. It could be hungry and no one is feeding him/her. Who knows. But something doesn't sound right.

If the parents think they are being watched by the authorities, maybe they will try to keep the child quiet.

Date: September 30, 2008 02:56AM

Chica Wrote:
> You should call social services. There must be
> something going on in that apartment that isn't
> right. No child should cry day and night. Maybe
> its being abused or neglected. It could be hungry
> and no one is feeding him/her. Who knows. But
> something doesn't sound right.
>
> If the parents think they are being watched by the
> authorities, maybe they will try to keep the child
> quiet.

I'm not so sure you should call social services unless you really know there is a problem.

There are too many stories of a family being torn apart for questionable decisions made by overzealous or angry child services workers.

If you know of a truly and unquestionable case of child abuse, report it. But to call child services just because you are pissed off could end up starting a process you could never reverse.

It's like if you were driving home with a friend who had a drink, maybe two, and he gets pulled over for speeding. If you tell the cop he's been drinking, he's probably going to get arrested, even without failing the breathalyzer, because the cop knows he's got you as a subpoenaed witness. Had you kept your mouth shut, you wouldn't have had to wait on the side of the road for a half hour for a cab, and your friend wouldn't be in jail, and probably plotting your death.

Use your good judgement (hoping that you actually have good judgement) and do not involve the government in your disputes unless there is no other alternative.

DO NOT CALL CHILD SERVICES unless you really believe there are issues of abuse or neglect. Don't just do it "hoping they find something".

Posted by: wtl ()
Date: September 30, 2008 01:34PM

nah best to assume something is wrong that is abnormal sounds lik the parents cant disciplin the kids

Posted by: hjfvgcdsfsdax ()
Date: January 10, 2010 07:01AM

Are you people serious? I'm the proud mother of a 2 1/2 year old who screams his face off if he can't watch cartoons. And you know what happens if he screams and throws tantrums? He gets a time out where he screams even more and louder! Kids between 1 1/2 and 4 are learning. They are learning their limits boundaries and surroundings. They are learning "what will mom do if I do this? If I scream will she give me my way? If you give them their way to stop the screaming once it'll go on and on. And the parent being stressed out about a neighbor? That kid will feel that tension too and WILL I promise WILL act out more. Get earplugs turn up your music and get on with your life. Parents with kids who scream aren't all starving their children or not disciplining them. Sorry! That would be an easy answer though right? To whoever said people shouldn't have children in apartments, get a house if you don't want kids near you. As far as social services they will probably laugh at you or you will cause a boiling pot. Besides they have better things to do with their time. Kids whine day and night for this or that reason. Some tantrums and tears last longer than others. From meals to bath time to bed time to play time to getting dressed and brushing teeth.

Posted by: Bounce House ()
Date: January 10, 2010 09:19AM

The parents should request to move to a ground level apt at least. You should spend less on jeans and save up to buy a house. You can't expect quiet if you live in an apt.

Date: January 10, 2010 02:02PM

Yeah I never got the "noise complaints" about apts.
You have to learn to embrace the loudness and cockraoches.
If the noise pisses you off, just wait till little TarKeesha tells BooFreeka you have an ENDLESS SUGAR SUPPLY. Go ahead save her a trip and give her your biggest frying pan while your at it and any eggs you can spare.

Posted by: Harry Tuttle ()
Date: January 10, 2010 06:07PM

This post was filmed in front of a live studio audience

Knock Knock, whos there??.... Wrote:
> Yeah I never got the "noise complaints" about
> apts.

{cheer and applause}

> You have to learn to embrace the loudness and
> cockraoches.

{small stir of chuckles}

> If the noise pisses you off, just wait till little
> TarKeesha tells BooFreeka

{uproarious laughter}

> you have an ENDLESS
> SUGAR SUPPLY.

(ENDLESS SUGAR!? OH NO HE DIDN'T!)
{laughter fades}
{one loud obnoxious laugh persists}

> Go ahead save her a trip and give
> her your biggest frying pan while your at it and
> any eggs you can spare.

{crowd screams in approval}
{loud applause and whistles}
{freeze frame}
{credits and theme music}

Posted by: Mr. Misery ()
Date: September 08, 2010 03:38PM

I always really liked the title of this thread.

What ever happened to the baby? Did he stop crying?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize to those I unfairly hurt. To Harry Tuttle in particular.

Date: September 09, 2010 09:13AM

Mr. Misery Wrote:
> I always really liked the title of this thread.
>
> What ever happened to the baby? Did he stop
> crying?

I actually ended up moving. I made this post when I lived in Arlington. It was just outside of Ballston, off Glebe, on a quiet row of town houses. The walls were paper thin and I could hear everything that went on next door. I am generally very quiet and respectful but I always had conflict with these neighbors with the crying kids. The father always had a smile on his face but I could tell he was miserable on the inside. He was a big soccer fan and I used to see him trying to kick the ball around with his kids in the alley. Some children are born with innate abilities and motor-skills for sports. These children were not, and the father knew it. The mother was just plain miserable and was a real b-word as evidenced by her face. Fairly certain she was a Fairfax County school teacher as well (parking pass in her window).

But to answer the question, if I had to guess -- no, the baby never did stop crying. I'm willing to bet he will be one of those criers who cries well into kindergarten and grade school. The kind who needs to be pulled aside and talked to by a child counselor or psychologist. I don't know much about children but maybe he was breast-fed for too long or something. I remember one Halloween, they stopped at my house first, being next door. The little boy was dressed as a pumpkin and just sat on my doorstep crying while his parents encouraged him to say "trick or treat". On his way out he just fell over onto the walk way. Not in a painful way, but just a gentle "plop" onto the ground.

I drove by the old house the other morning after picking up a friend at Reagan (had time to kill before brunch) and my townhouse looked vacant. But the neighbors were still there. I remembered back to mowing my little lawn there. Plugging in that lawn mower and mowing that tiny spot of grass after work and a horrible commute was the bane of my existence.

Now I live in Fairfax. Land of opportunity. No grass to mow. And life is awesome (life still sucks).

But in retrospect, it was a good experience and may make me ever so slightly more prepared to be a parent myself one day. When I was 21 I told myself I wanted to married with at least one child by the age of 28. Now, here I sit. Alone. But I say with absolute confidence that when and if I do have a child, I will be an excellent parent. I know it.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: September 09, 2010 09:28AM

Maybe eesh stuck it in a blender???

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: September 09, 2010 11:43AM

Good Baby Wrote:
> A 3 year old is not a baby. Luckily my 2 month
> old is an angel and as quiet as can be in our
> appt.
> Now Im not advocating child abuse, but really -
> Parents beat your kids a little. I think our
> generation turned out ok-ish. A child that has a
> healthy fear of their parents will think twice
> before acting like a little shit.

That was my comment before I registered, and before I was the parent of a two year old. He is a type A personality and always wants his way. By knowing this, I can control situations that could turn into tantrums.

"He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes"

Posted by: Yahweh ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:41PM

EJ, Im sure you will be a good parent one day. The world needs more good parents.

I searched for this thread a month ago because the Noise Ordinance thread you started. I just thought it was funny that you were complaining about a noisy neighbor here, then you were planning on being the noisy neighbor. Is that irony or the opposite of irony?

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/389608/389788.html#msg-389788

Posted by: just sayin' ()
Date: September 09, 2010 12:48PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> Mr. Misery Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I always really liked the title of this thread.
> >
> > What ever happened to the baby? Did he stop
> > crying?
>
>
> I actually ended up moving. I made this post when
> I lived in Arlington. It was just outside of
> Ballston, off Glebe, on a quiet row of town
> houses. The walls were paper thin and I could hear
> everything that went on next door. I am generally
> very quiet and respectful but I always had
> conflict with these neighbors with the crying
> kids. The father always had a smile on his face
> but I could tell he was miserable on the inside.
> He was a big soccer fan and I used to see him
> trying to kick the ball around with his kids in
> the alley. Some children are born with innate
> abilities and motor-skills for sports. These
> children were not, and the father knew it. The
> mother was just plain miserable and was a real
> b-word as evidenced by her face. Fairly certain
> she was a Fairfax County school teacher as well
> (parking pass in her window).
>
> But to answer the question, if I had to guess --
> no, the baby never did stop crying. I'm willing to
> bet he will be one of those criers who cries well
> into kindergarten and grade school. The kind who
> needs to be pulled aside and talked to by a child
> counselor or psychologist. I don't know much about
> children but maybe he was breast-fed for too long
> or something. I remember one Halloween, they
> stopped at my house first, being next door. The
> little boy was dressed as a pumpkin and just sat
> on my doorstep crying while his parents encouraged
> him to say "trick or treat". On his way out he
> just fell over onto the walk way. Not in a painful
> way, but just a gentle "plop" onto the ground.
>
> I drove by the old house the other morning after
> picking up a friend at Reagan (had time to kill
> before brunch) and my townhouse looked vacant. But
> the neighbors were still there. I remembered back
> to mowing my little lawn there. Plugging in that
> lawn mower and mowing that tiny spot of grass
> after work and a horrible commute was the bane of
> my existence.
>
> Now I live in Fairfax. Land of opportunity. No
> grass to mow. And life is awesome (life still
> sucks).
>
> But in retrospect, it was a good experience and
> may make me ever so slightly more prepared to be a
> parent myself one day. When I was 21 I told myself
> I wanted to married with at least one child by the
> age of 28. Now, here I sit. Alone. But I say with
> absolute confidence that when and if I do have a
> child, I will be an excellent parent. I know it.

You must be a female Expensive Jeans.

or you're gay.

Date: September 09, 2010 12:58PM

Yahweh Wrote:
> EJ, Im sure you will be a good parent one day. The
> world needs more good parents.
>
> I searched for this thread a month ago because the
> Noise Ordinance thread you started. I just
> thought it was funny that you were complaining
> about a noisy neighbor here, then you were
> planning on being the noisy neighbor. Is that
> irony or the opposite of irony?
>
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/389
> 608/389788.html#msg-389788

That's a fair question, but at the same time, somewhat apples and oranges. The noise I was complaining about was, literally, all day, every day. There was no break in crying, yelling, stomping, etc for the full year I lived there. Parents I know are very defensive of their children and consequently their own parenting skills so I never dared confront them over their crying kids. But to restate and emphasize, this was a MAJOR issue that occurred on a constant basis. It affected my sleep, possibly job performance, general happiness, etc. No guests could sleep in the "guest room" upstairs due to the constant noise. And when they did, I would normally find them on the couch downstairs in the morning and I would smile and say "told you so!"..

But my question on the noise ordinance was slightly different. This was a one night affair and I wanted to survey the community of their opinions of live music on a Friday night until 11PM. It wasn't even my house, for what that's worth. And the night went over without a hitch. No issues from neighbors (some even came over to say hello), no cops, no noise complaints -- so it was all good. It wasn't a college party. But more an upper-twenties into younger-thirties crowd. Mostly married themselves, children in tow, etc.

So, not a ton of irony to be had there. Though I see where you were attempting to go with that.

Date: September 09, 2010 01:02PM

just sayin' Wrote:

> You must be a female Expensive Jeans.
>
> or you're gay.

No, I am very much a straight male. When I type I can sometimes convey feminine sensibilities and phrasing but I am a straight man.

The name "Expensive Jeans" was almost created arbitrarily with no real reason behind it but since then I've had to field a lot of gay/"are you a girl?" inquiries.

It's cool though.

Date: September 09, 2010 01:10PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> just sayin' Wrote:
> -----
>
> > You must be a female Expensive Jeans.
> >
> > or you're gay.
>
> No, I am very much a straight male. When I type I
> can sometimes convey feminine sensibilities and
> phrasing but I am a straight man.
>
> The name "Expensive Jeans" was almost created
> arbitrarily with no real reason behind it but
> since then I've had to field a lot of gay/"are you
> a girl?" inquiries.
>
> It's cool though.

No...I never judge anyone by their user name.

You just seem like the sensitive kind of guy most

females would love to have.

I just don't know ANYONE who has a guy like that.

Plus...You're kind of "verbose".

Women are "verbose"...HAVE to say everything they're feeling

in detail.

I don't know many men like that.

Posted by: fngbngr ()
Date: September 09, 2010 01:26PM

Good Baby Wrote:
> A 3 year old is not a baby. Luckily my 2 month
> old is an angel and as quiet as can be in our
> appt.
> Now Im not advocating child abuse, but really -
> Parents beat your kids a little. I think our
> generation turned out ok-ish. A child that has a
> healthy fear of their parents will think twice
> before acting like a little shit.

Isn't that what a 2 month old suppose to do anyways..they eat ,sleep,shit...that is the circle of their life till they get to solid food stage and then they are more aware of their surroundings and more awake during the day...

Date: September 09, 2010 01:27PM

Fair enough, just sayin'.

I am verbose as some of the more long-time folks on this site can attest to. I had to delete my posting history which pained me, but was necessary at the time because I was "exposed" and I didn't want my friends and family to read what I had been posting.

I have difficulty condensing my thoughts. I like to explain things thoroughly and pre-address any question which might possibly come up after I make a post. Actually, I don't even like to leave room for questions. This is somewhat of a double-edged sword in the business world as when I type an email I tend to present a paragraph formed narrative versus bullet points. There is of ton of pertinent information I am presenting, but the format of the emails is a turn off and might cause people to skip over it instead of investing the time to read it. So during my last performance review I was informed that while the organization appreciated my full context, detail oriented emails -- they would still prefer short and to the point bullet points. So again, condensing my thoughts is something which I am working on.

I am not like most of my guy friends, I guess, now that you've pointed that out. In fact, sometimes it annoys them and they probably think I'm part of "the tribe" as a result of my writing. But I've explained it to them as well - why I type the way I do. Why I share the things I do. The devil's in the details and that is where I dwell.

But I digress, (as normal).

Date: September 09, 2010 01:32PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> Fair enough, just sayin'.
>
> I am verbose as some of the more long-time folks
> on this site can attest to. I had to delete my
> posting history which pained me, but was necessary
> at the time because I was "exposed" and I didn't
> want my friends and family to read what I had been
> posting.
>
> I have difficulty condensing my thoughts. I like
> to explain things thoroughly and pre-address any
> question which might possibly come up after I make
> a post. Actually, I don't even like to leave room
> for questions. This is somewhat of a double-edged
> sword in the business world as when I type an
> email I tend to present a paragraph formed
> narrative versus bullet points. There is of ton of
> pertinent information I am presenting, but the
> format of the emails is a turn off and might cause
> people to skip over it instead of investing the
> time to read it. So during my last performance
> review I was informed that while the organization
> appreciated my full context, detail oriented
> emails -- they would still prefer short and to the
> point bullet points. So again, condensing my
> thoughts is something which I am working on.
>
> I am not like most of my guy friends, I guess, now
> that you've pointed that out. In fact, sometimes
> it annoys them and they probably think I'm part of
> "the tribe" as a result of my writing. But I've
> explained it to them as well - why I type the way
> I do. Why I share the things I do. The devil's in
> the details and that is where I dwell.
>
> But I digress, (as normal).

When I read your posts I picture that really gay guy

on Will and Grace.

Sorry

Date: September 09, 2010 01:39PM

just sayin' Wrote:

> When I read your posts I picture that really gay
> guy
>
> on Will and Grace.
>
> Sorry

That's cool, no worries. I haven't seen Will & Grace but I am picturing a really effeminate gay guy with a limp wrist, lisp, etc. I, knowing myself, know that isn't case but I certainly understand how a stranger could perceive that based on reading my posts (which, really, is all you can do).

Something just comes over me when I write, and I can't shake it. And have stopped trying to. But so you know, and I acknowledge that grandiose claims from anonymous internet message boarders are to be taken with a grain of salt -- but I am very masculine. My voice, my appearance, my attitude, my posture. I'm just a dude who writes like a chick...

Date: September 09, 2010 01:45PM

Expensive Jeans Wrote:
> just sayin' Wrote:
> -----
>
> > When I read your posts I picture that really
> gay
> > guy
> >
> > on Will and Grace.
> >
> > Sorry
>
>
> That's cool, no worries. I haven't seen Will &
> Grace but I am picturing a really effeminate gay
> guy with a limp wrist, lisp, etc. I, knowing
> myself, know that isn't case but I certainly
> understand how a stranger could perceive that
> based on reading my posts (which, really, is all
> you can do).
>
> Something just comes over me when I write, and I
> can't shake it. And have stopped trying to. But so
> you know, and I acknowledge that grandiose claims
> from anonymous internet message boarders are to be
> taken with a grain of salt -- but I am very
> masculine. My voice, my appearance, my attitude,
> my posture. I'm just a dude who writes like a
> chick...

WELL....I'm just sayin'

There should be more dude like you on this earth!

Date: September 09, 2010 01:51PM

BTW

Are you related to Eesh?

His "real name" is William Zumwaldt

and yours is Billy Zumwaldt.

Coinkidinky?

Date: September 09, 2010 02:07PM

Nope, don't know them. And don't bring up people's in real life names on a public forum unless you're doing it with malicious intent. And if that's the case, that's fucked up, and you should stop.

As fun as all the IRL exposures/"outings" were at the time, it actually destroyed this site. So quit it, don't perpetuate, and let's make it a great 2011 on FFXU.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.