HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix - decisions, decisions, decisions
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: June 11, 2013 12:54PM

I've mentioned before a growing desire to drop cable TV and stick simply with internet, cutting my Cox cable monthly bill probably in half to $60-ish.

For the last month or two I've been closely watching what my family does with TV watching - no "regular" channels, some surfing of things like Discovery channels, a couple movie channels like IFC or Sundance etc (I think those are part of a package that costs extra on Cox), random Sponge Bob-type cartoon stuff, and a whole lot of internet-streamed shows/movies (mostly Korean soap operas or Japanese anime!).

So, okay, I've finally decided to REALLY drop Cox for TV and am considering the Subject services, all of which are about 1/10th the cost of Cox TV.

Any clue which to choose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix - decisions, decisions, decisions
Posted by: I have all three ()
Date: June 11, 2013 01:12PM

Amazon prime and netflix seem to have about the same content, but I prefer amazon prime because on top of the free content, you can rent new releases for a couple bucks. Netflix doesn't have any new releases.

And of.course Hulu Plus is good for tv shows.. Some tv content is released to Hulu very fast, within a day or so.

Date: June 11, 2013 01:16PM

I have all three Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [appreciated answer, however the ID is the Subject for this post!]

Even if we got all three (very unlikely due to what little we watch), that would still be HALF the cost of Cox's TV price - there's something WRONG about that.

Posted by: try it ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:25PM

You can do try Netflix and Hulu for free and see how you like it. We tried Netflix mainly for movies and were disappointed with the selection.

Don't know about Amazon Prime, but I'll be looking into that soon because we've been riding a Verizon FiOS promo for 2 years now where we get all the movie channels for 1/2 price. That promo will finally die for us this month.

Our main problem is our addiction to cable programming, especially those movie channel shows like Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, and shit like that. Wish I had the balls to abolish television completely from our house, but I think we would have a mutiny on our hands.

Good luck.

Posted by: village idiot ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:34PM

The wife and I did exactly what you are thinking about two months ago and couldn't be happier. Get a Roku box (best thing ever) and just get Hulu plus. We tried just watching stuff on that for a week as a trial before making the switch. We knew within 3 days we were done with cable and FIOS. Hulu has all the TV shows available the next day which worked perfectly for us since we used to DVR everything anyway. Now, we just pay for internet access and our TV bill is $8 a month. In summation, Roku box with Hulu plus.

Posted by: localboob ()
Date: June 11, 2013 02:39PM

when i didn't have tv and i wanted to watch the new breaking bad, ten minutes after the episode would end, someone would have a torrent of the whole thing, sans commercials.

i'm willing to bet people do the same with boardwalk emp and dexter

Posted by: Fool(e) ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:18PM

village idiot Wrote:
> Get a Roku box (best thing ever) and just get Hulu
> plus. We tried just watching stuff on that for a
> week as a trial before making the switch.

Love Roku, but the Hulu plus one-week trial was a bust -- it was very sluggish and froze constantly (compared to no problems with Netflix or Amazon streaming using the same Roku box).

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:29PM

localboob Wrote:
>
> i'm willing to bet people do the same with
> boardwalk emp

I torrented all of Boardwalk Empire season 3 last winter, since it wasn't available yet on netflix.

Date: June 11, 2013 03:41PM

W.r.t. the "roku box" - I believe our current TVs do what that does - the TVs have "apps" available that do all three services of the Subject - the TVs themselves are wirelessly connected to our LAN and stream, for example, Amazon movies, Youtube, and the random Korean soap opera or anime off of a sub-app of a (totally otherwise broken) Flingo "WebVideos" app.

I just checked our latest Cox bill and found out we're paying $80/month for TV (that we barely use). Changing to $8/month - or even $24-ish/month if we get all three services - is a no-brainer at this point.

BTW - at some deep time in the past I believe Cox said we HAD to have at least "basic TV" to get internet - I could not find any words to that on the Cox site, however, just a few minutes ago so it appears that policy has been dropped. Anyone know for sure?

Posted by: truth. ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:50PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> localboob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > i'm willing to bet people do the same with
> > boardwalk emp
>
> I torrented all of Boardwalk Empire season 3 last
> winter, since it wasn't available yet on netflix.

Honest people either pay for it, wait for it to become available, or skip it entirely.

Dishonest people steal.

Posted by: 4Knuj ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:05PM

I buy enough stuff through Amazon that Prime is worth it to me on that basis alone. So the video's basically a freebie.

Posted by: I think I like Roku ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:12PM

Does Roku allow you to watch content on mobile devices or is it only for a TV set?

Posted by: Sporto ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:19PM

The truly sad thing is the only thing keeping my lips wrapped around the cableman's cock is live sports. Until I can get my live sports...ALL of my live sports in real muffakin' time somewhere other than cable or satellite my lips stay wrapped. That list is:

Formula 1
NFL
NHL
MLB

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:22PM

truth. Wrote:
> TheMeeper Wrote:
> -----
> > localboob Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > i'm willing to bet people do the same with
> > > boardwalk emp
> >
> > I torrented all of Boardwalk Empire season 3
> last
> > winter, since it wasn't available yet on
> netflix.
>
>
> Honest people either pay for it, wait for it to
> become available, or skip it entirely.
>
> Dishonest people steal.

I would've been happy to pay for it, but the idiots don't make the stuff available, and sorry, I'm not going to wait around for 6 months to watch it when it's available online. I don't feel one bit bad about it and will order HBO for a few months to watch season 4.

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:35PM

Olde Farte, II Wrote:
> I have all three Wrote:
> -----
> > [appreciated answer, however the ID is the
> Subject for this post!]
>
> Even if we got all three (very unlikely due to
> what little we watch), that would still be HALF
> the cost of Cox's TV price - there's something
> WRONG about that.

That's what I do. I have Netflix for movies and older TV shows, Hulu for new stuff, and Amazon for Walking Dead. I don't have Amazon Prime, but I buy the season pass, get the new episodes next day, and own the season later. I get my news and new music from the internet. Easy.

--------------------------------------------------------------
13 4826 0948 82695 25847. Yes.

Posted by: truth. ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:01PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> I would've been happy to pay for it, but the
> idiots don't make the stuff available

If you have access to Netflix, then you have access to an HBO subscription.

Which is, you know, how they stay in business and can afford to make expensive shows like BE.

> and sorry, I'm not going to wait around for 6 months to watch
> it when it's available online.

Stealing is stealing. Some people steal TVs during emergency storm evacuations, which apparently is wrong.*

Other people steal TV shows because they're not going to wait around for 6 months, which makes it perfectly cool, I guess.

> I don't feel one bit bad about it

Of course you don't.

> and will order HBO for a few months to watch season 4.

Good for you.

* According to TheMeeper, at least. http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/40/120959/121015.html#msg-121015

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:38PM

I can't speak for the Hulu Plus or Amazon, but as part of my financial liberation I ditched the premium cable and supplement my little basic package with Netflix.

$8 a month and tons of shit to watch. Only thing I miss from cable is Monday Night Football. That's what bars and neighbors are for.

I hook up with some shit from Youtube also, lots of goodies there. I was using Youtube XL which was an improved interface without all the little buttons, much better for a TV screen, but they have discontinued it.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: June 11, 2013 06:28PM

WingNut Wrote:
> I hook up with some shit from Youtube also, lots
> of goodies there.

Yes, our TVs have a "Youtube app" which we use to access anything on Youtube - the user interface is the pits but otherwise it works fine - in fact, my wife has been watching...korean soap operas...on Youtube since the WebVideos app that came with the TVs is totally busted with "CrunchyRoll", the location from which animeand korean soap operas are streamed by WebVideos.

Though I haven't looked into it enough et to be satisfied making a final decision, it looks like I'll try the free tests of Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus and see if they have the content we're looking for (my daughter behind me just said she =NEEDS= NHK Japan so that is certainly one thing I'll be looking for).

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:33PM

My TV's have HDMI jacks but don't have that built in Netflix and Youtube, I have them hooked up with a router. I access my desktop from the screen.

With Netflix and Youtube I put together playlists so I don't have to wear out my eyes searching for stuff.

I saved like $700 a year downgrading the cable, I really don't watch that much TV so I don't miss it.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Date: June 11, 2013 06:40PM

WingNut Wrote:
> I saved like $700 a year downgrading the cable, I
> really don't watch that much TV so I don't miss
> it.

If we drop cable TV and add an $8 or so service, we save $72-ish /month or $860+/year.

That's a real win.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 11, 2013 08:52PM

I have Amazon Prime (plus all the others) and I love it. Prime has lots of new movies and tv series. The drawback is the series on tv isn't really current. I use it to catch up on stuff I've missed. You might want to consider Crackle (owned by Sony). It's not bad if you don't mind the occasional commercial.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 11, 2013 09:12PM

Why dont you people try reading a book or go outside and look at life for real instead of being glued to an electronic box?

Posted by: liberal logic 09 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 09:50PM

Not sure which one is the best for content but if thats equal or close enough getting the free two day shipping on items with the prime account would lead me to pick them

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:11PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Why dont you people try reading a book or go
> outside and look at life for real instead of being
> glued to an electronic box?

You attacked the Body. You have heard the Word and disobeyed. You will be absorbed.

Posted by: I.B. Free ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:19PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Why dont you people try reading a book or go
> outside and look at life for real instead of being
> glued to an electronic box?

What do you mean..."YOU PEOPLE"?

Typical NOVA poster...always more concerned with everyone else's shit when everyone else's shit isn't bothering them one fucking bit. Please explain to us Stabitha how our decision to watch television versus reading a book or going outside affects you.

Posted by: Faggitha ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:31PM

I.B. Free Wrote:
> Stabitha Wrote:
> -----
> > Why dont you people try reading a book or go
> > outside and look at life for real instead of
> being
> > glued to an electronic box?
>
> What do you mean..."YOU PEOPLE"?
>
> Typical NOVA poster...always more concerned with
> everyone else's shit when everyone else's shit
> isn't bothering them one fucking bit. Please
> explain to us Stabitha how our decision to watch
> television versus reading a book or going outside
> affects you.

Stabitha is a racist redneck republican. The books he is referencing are things he never read and most likely for children.

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: June 11, 2013 11:13PM

>Prime has lots of new movies and tv series. The drawback is the series on tv isn't
>really current. I use it to catch up on stuff I've missed.

Prime is nice, but spotty. Some old series and movies they want you to pay to watch, like 1.99 per episode. Others are free to stream, and I can't find any rhyme or reason which ones are free. Some seasons of Survivor are free, some are pay. It's odd.

On the good side, Prime comes with 'free' second day delivery for anything on Amazon - I don't wait till I have a number of items before I submit orders to Amazon (to get free shipping), just order away.

Date: June 12, 2013 07:38AM

> [On Amazon Prime...] Some seasons of Survivor are free, some are pay. It's odd.

Ya know, it appears to be quite hard to find out thorough information about these services! (I haven't yet found a "search" field on non-subscriber Hulu Plus yet, for example)

Having to pay PER EPISODE for anything CERTAINLY wasn't part of my "knowledge" of how these services work - I thought it was "Pay the monthly fee, stream for free gajillions of regular TV stuff like Discovery channels, pay for movies".

If it ends up being "Pay a monthly fee, pay for regular TV episodes, pay for movies" then the charges could nickle-n-dime their way up pretty fast.

============

What I/we want to do is drop an $80/month cable tv service and add an internet-based service that allows watching what we tend to watch right now:

We don't watch sports.

We don't watch cable TV news.

We don't watch any local channels or their local or national programming (exception - channel 45 (I think) - see below).

On occasion we watch a weather channel or two briefly.

We definitely watch a few times per week (that's about the amount) things like Discovery shows or Nicklodeon or Disney with the occasional (once per week? per two-week? - occasional...) no-extra-charge movies on things like IFC or Sundance or Encore. There are also random channel surfs like to ... uh ... Paladia (?) for muzak.

For whatever reason my daughter is into NHK (the broadcast network, not the anime) I believe the local-"channel" equivalent of that is the "MHz" set of channels (OTA might be WNVC?).

And, of course, "we" do considerable watching of internet-streamed Korean dramas and Japanese anime; the latter is usually viewd right on a PC but before CrunchyRoll's outstanding selection was horribly broken by Flingo and their brain-damaged WebVideos app, we watched those directly on our TVs.

==========

THAT viewing pattern is what we want to duplicate from whatever services we decide to switch to, but NOT if it's gonna end up costing us $80/month in nickle-n-diming!

Date: June 14, 2013 06:00AM

Well, poop, it looks like Hulu is getting bought by Dish so that certainly throws a wrench into the decision.

[I wonder what the average lifetime of a tech-oriented company is these days...]

Date: June 14, 2013 06:03AM

Olde Farte, II Wrote:
> Well, poop, it looks like Hulu is getting bought
> by Dish...

Make that DirecTV instead of Dish:

http://gizmodo.com/directv-is-supposedly-buying-hulu-513303427

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: June 16, 2013 04:01PM

>Ya know, it appears to be quite hard to find out thorough information about these
>services! (I haven't yet found a "search" field on non-subscriber Hulu Plus yet,
>for example)

Amazon plus makes it hard to tell which programs are free to stream and which ones aren't - until you page all the way in to specific episodes, you can't tell if it's pay or not. You can at that point - the start button says 'unlimited free streaming', so it's not like you get a surprise on your bill or anything. But, as far as I know, you can't search for 'free content'.

To make matters even more confusing, Mrs. Abelard noticed that one of the shows that looked like 1.99 per episode on our tv said 'unlimited free streaming' on the Amazon Plus app on her ipad. She used the ipad to start watching and the button on the tv changed to read 'unlimited free streaming'. It's likely that many programs that currently say 'pay' on my tv are actually free, which is good but they seem to be making an effort to make this process difficult. Still, it does work like a charm - the picture quality is pretty good on my 50 inch plasma.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2013 04:03PM by abelard.

Posted by: billy elliott ()
Date: December 18, 2013 03:20AM

Guarantees of watching Hulu securely and safely is what attracted me to Streaming VPN and well, it does not get any better. I get this on desktop and my tablet, anytime, anywhere. Awesome service!!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.