HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tipping
Posted by: Bad Tipper ()
Date: June 06, 2013 02:13PM

Is it (socially) obligatory or recommended to tip in coffee shops, ice cream shops, and so on (i.e. places NOT sit-down restaurants)?

I always feel like scum when I don't tip, even though it's not illegal not to.

I decided to tip in whatever change I received, today. My change was something like 11 cents. When the cashier told me to have a good day, he looked very sad, as if I insulted him by giving him 11 cents. I didn't mean to insult him. I think he did a good job.

Any tips (good God...) are appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tipping
Posted by: when in doubt ()
Date: June 06, 2013 02:31PM

When in doubt just tip

Posted by: not a city in china ()
Date: June 06, 2013 04:29PM

is not a city in china

Posted by: Subway guy ()
Date: June 06, 2013 05:20PM

I work at subway, and we greatly appreciate tips. However, you do not need to tip a whole dollar. Whenever someone even leaves just the change, I make it a point to say thank you and to tell them how much I appreciate that. If you came in and tipped 11 cents, I'd be happy.

Posted by: boy who tipped the pizza guy 20$ ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:01PM

When a beautiful and kind young woman with a heart of gold helped a stupid and retarded young boy with a misshapen head buy a pizza one fateful night one year ago, she also helped him figure out the tip, and that it is better to be generous than stingy. This retarded, stupid, smelly boy tipped the pizza man 20 american dollars.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 06, 2013 07:10PM

They work for an hourly wage, not tips.

Posted by: localboob ()
Date: June 06, 2013 09:12PM

boy who tipped the pizza guy 20$ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When a beautiful and kind young woman with a heart
> of gold helped a stupid and retarded young boy
> with a misshapen head buy a pizza one fateful
> night one year ago, she also helped him figure out
> the tip, and that it is better to be generous than
> stingy. This retarded, stupid, smelly boy tipped
> the pizza man 20 american dollars.

this.

i'm not sure what it means, but this.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: June 06, 2013 09:19PM

Subway guy Wrote:
> I work at subway, and we greatly appreciate tips.
> However, you do not need to tip a whole dollar.
> Whenever someone even leaves just the change, I
> make it a point to say thank you and to tell them
> how much I appreciate that. If you came in and
> tipped 11 cents, I'd be happy.

What ever happened to 5 dolla, 5 dolla, 5 dolla foot long ringa ringa musical? I bought a footlong veggie (yes veggie) sub recently and it was over 7 fucking dollars. I'm not happy with subway having really quietly ramped up their prices the last few years. Too expensive man. Tell your boss.

Posted by: centrevillian ()
Date: June 06, 2013 10:05PM

Well the first problem is you're going to Subway for a quick sub. Hit up Jersey Mikes for a quick sub - MUCH better.

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: June 06, 2013 10:31PM

When in doubt just tip? So, "I'm stupid and impressionable. Since there's a jar here that says 'Tips', I should just pull out my wallet and not ask questions"?

Fuck. You.

You do not get tips for simply doing your job. That's like getting a trophy for finishing 5th (it happens and it's stupid). You don't get a tip for scooping ice cream. You don't get a tip for making coffee. I don't give a shit if you work a job making minimum wage. That was your decision. If I have to pay you extra to provide quality service your establishment is not one I want to frequent.

You want a tip? Get a job as a waiter/waitress in a restaurant where you "wait" on me over the course of an hour or so. Not when all you do is turn around and drop a donut in a paper bag (First tip jar I ever saw as 10'ish years ago at DD in OC)
You want a tip? Get a job driving stone delivering food in your own car. Gas is expensive and your slave driving employer charges a "delivery fee" that you see none of.
Still want a tip? Get yourself some decent tits and ass and dance around in stage. You probably don't get a salary, plus you have 5 kids and a coca in habit to tend to.

Seriously people, grow some spine. Use your head a little bit and it isn't hard to see who does and doesn't deserve a tip. Stop giving extra $ to every wetback and dot head with enough command of the English language to scrawl "tip" on a cup. Pretty soon EVERYONE you come in contact with will expect a couple bucks for their trouble.

Tips should be earned. Not required or expected.

Posted by: 1%'er ()
Date: June 06, 2013 10:58PM

Ever been on a cruise?

Holy fucking shit...those bastards give new meaning to the word fleecing someone. All of your food is included on a cruise. But every single time you order a drink...they immediately hand you a receipt for that round with a place to tip. If you sit there a few hours, order 10 rounds of drinks...you get 10 receipts. I tip on the final receipt for the ENTIRE tab.

Then as if that's not excruciating enough...

On the final morning of your cruise, you wake up to 12 envelopes shoved under your door. 1 for each division of the ship that served you. Then they line up ALL of the staff on the main deck so that you can either tip them personally or at the very least be made to face a walk of shame right past them and not tip them.

Whether I'm on a cruise or not...if someone takes care of me, I take care of them. If they don't? I don't. It used to be people who waited on customers EARNED their tips...now, it's just become a tax. And the notion of stuffing bills into envelopes at the end of my cruise is just nuts...what a racket.

I got horrible service a few weeks ago and I didn't tip. The waiter actually tried to explain why he deserved a tip...he missed the point that it's not really about him. It's about me and my expectations.

Posted by: Sir Duke ()
Date: June 07, 2013 08:14AM

I'm black. I don't have to tip.

We were all excluded from tipping due to that whole slavery thing.

Posted by: McLovin ()
Date: June 07, 2013 08:55AM

I didn't accumulate substantial wealth by giving my money away. I have never tipped where I pick up my food/beverages at a counter or have to wait in line to order and have the food brought to me.

Having said that, I appreciate good service and have no problem tipping 20-25% to an exceptional waitress, friendly taxi driver or helpful concierge.

Posted by: No Way Jose ()
Date: June 07, 2013 10:23AM

I tip when it's expected but I recall one time I did not leave a monetary tip and chose instead to leave a educational tip.

This happened at Anitas in Burke. The server that day was so awful and ignorant that he received this written "tip" on the check. It read:

Here's a tip: Me customer, you server.

Posted by: Rajah ()
Date: June 07, 2013 10:42AM

McLovin Wrote:
> I didn't accumulate substantial wealth by giving
> my money away. I have never tipped where I pick
> up my food/beverages at a counter or have to wait
> in line to order and have the food brought to me.
>
>
> Having said that, I appreciate good service and
> have no problem tipping 20-25% to an exceptional
> waitress, friendly taxi driver or helpful
> concierge.

This. I've been going to the same Chinese restaurant for 12 years. Sometimes I dine-in but mostly I do takeout. After going in there a few times I noticed other customers tipping on their carry-out. So, when I got to the counter I filled out my receipt and left a tip.

The owner pulled me aside and said, "We see you in here a lot and you are always getting a large order for your family. Knowing that you enjoy our food and will hopefully tell your friends to come and that we will see you again and again is all the gratuity we could hope for. Thank you for being a great customer..."

I went home and cried over my General Tso's...

Posted by: diner food ()
Date: June 07, 2013 01:34PM

Just make sure you tip your waiter or waitress. We get 2.13 an hour that we see none of because it doesn't even cover all of the taxes. That and we "tip out" the restaurant on everything that you order. where i work its 3%. so every time you order i pay the restaurant 3% of your check. so if you leave a 15% tip I'm only seeing 12%. Tips are how we earn a living. If you don't tip, don't expect service at all.

Posted by: Quid Pro Quo ()
Date: June 07, 2013 01:53PM

diner food Wrote:
> Just make sure you tip your waiter or waitress. We
> get 2.13 an hour that we see none of because it
> doesn't even cover all of the taxes. That and we
> "tip out" the restaurant on everything that you
> order. where i work its 3%. so every time you
> order i pay the restaurant 3% of your check. so if
> you leave a 15% tip I'm only seeing 12%. Tips are
> how we earn a living. If you don't tip, don't
> expect service at all.

If you don't serve me...don't expect a tip at all. Gratuity is predicated on the service rendered.

Posted by: dinerfood ()
Date: June 07, 2013 02:00PM

Quid Pro Quo Wrote:
> diner food Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just make sure you tip your waiter or waitress.
> We
> > get 2.13 an hour that we see none of because it
> > doesn't even cover all of the taxes. That and
> we
> > "tip out" the restaurant on everything that you
> > order. where i work its 3%. so every time you
> > order i pay the restaurant 3% of your check. so
> if
> > you leave a 15% tip I'm only seeing 12%. Tips
> are
> > how we earn a living. If you don't tip, don't
> > expect service at all.
>
> If you don't serve me...don't expect a tip at all.
> Gratuity is predicated on the service rendered.

Yes. What I am referring to is the people who think its okay to pay for food and only food. There are people out there who just don't tip. Where I work we have these two black ladies that come in once a week and they only pay for their food. It doesn't matter who the server is, how great the service is, or anything. They just don't tip. Now that they have built that reputation for themselves, they get the shittiest service around. This is what I am referring to. If you regularly do not tip, you will regularly not get good service.

Posted by: Tdhmx ()
Date: June 07, 2013 02:07PM

Be they arrogant, self-righteous dicks (Que?, 1%'er, Quid Pro Quo , etc.) or the poor schlub who has to serve them, the bottom line is: People suck.

Posted by: huh? seriously? ()
Date: June 07, 2013 02:16PM

Tdhmx Wrote:
> Be they arrogant, self-righteous dicks (Que?,
> 1%'er, Quid Pro Quo , etc.) or the poor schlub who
> has to serve them, the bottom line is: People
> suck.

What is arrogant about their remarks? I think YOU suck. I do agree that tipping has gotten out of hand. I regularly tip 20% in restaurants, where the wait staff earn less than miminum wage. But, like some posters above, I will NOT tip the barista at Starbucks. Or the highschool kid who makes my sundae at ColdStone. Everyone has turned into a bunch of entitled brats. Grow the fuck up.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.