HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Barack Obama's "Dean Scream" Moment
Date: September 09, 2008 07:39PM

I really hate to admit it, but Obama stepped on a land mine with this remark...

...What chance he had of winning this election just went out the door.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Barack Obama's "Dean Scream" Moment
Posted by: Registered Voter ()
Date: September 09, 2008 07:52PM

No comment on the remark - it speaks for itself.

I am not sure why the Obama campaign is going this way... To be honest, I think if he stuck to a positive message and waited to see if Palin imploded he would be much better off. Even if she didn't implode, keeping to their message would be the better answer at this point. Based on that clip of video though, it appeared he was tired, and not totally coherent on what he was trying to say - and that just kind of fell out on the floor.

They seem to be committing one of the worst over-reactions on this I have ever seen. For all that I respond to you guys here, I try to keep it civil and on the mark - but some of the stuff you guys post is over the top. I don't know if he thought he would get some traction with this or what - or maybe the negative publicity would get folks to focus on him again? Just weird.

We'll see.

Date: September 09, 2008 07:57PM

I think some idiot in his campaign came up with this line. I really don't see how he recovers from this. Sometimes there is just one defining moment (the check-out stand with Bush Sr., Dukakis not seeming to care if his wife got raped) that just freezes the campaign. This is it for Obama. Short of McCain/Palin massively imploding, I think Obama is done.

Posted by: OMG ()
Date: September 09, 2008 09:11PM

LMAO... I was on the fence but now I'm supporting Obama all the way. That was too funny.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 09, 2008 09:17PM

me thinks you over react....he was talking about McSame...not Palin.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 09, 2008 09:55PM

Republicans, telling it like it is

Date: September 09, 2008 10:07PM

Fox News reported on the "big" mistake and reported that McSame had used the same phrase during the primaries when refering to Hillary and her health plans.

So...not to say the republikans wont try and use this silly incident as something bigger then it is...but it aint!

Date: September 09, 2008 10:42PM

I really don't know what to think about this stuff anymore. In my opinion, I think people are out of their minds to vote Republican this year. But you throw a moose-shooting gal who lies about her record in front of people and they go wild. I really don't understand why Americans consistently vote against their own self-interest, but that's what keeps corporate lobbying in business, I guess.

Date: September 09, 2008 11:03PM

Im sure there are some very applicable parralels in history to the fall of roman empire...Nero fiddling as Rome burned..scapegoats...

personally I found the article below as good an explanation as any...

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/20071126_america_in_the_time_of_empire/

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 10, 2008 12:14AM

When did he get his southern accent?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 10, 2008 07:32AM

Numbers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When did he get his southern accent?

lol, I did notice he's starting to sound less like a northerner.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: September 10, 2008 07:54AM

Was the "lipstick on a pig" remark any less politically correct when McCain used it last year to describe a proposal made by Hillary Clinton?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 10, 2008 08:10AM

Not really, but in this highly-sensitive time of sound bite politics it just made for fodder. It isn't the first time a politician has taken a hit for an otherwise innocuous statement... take Perot's "You people" comment that I often post photoshops of.

Another reason that he's got to be careful with that is the complaints of misogyny from the Clinton side during the primaries. He doesn't need any bad press that will piss off women. Palin's speech set up the current context of the lipstick term for this campaign.

Date: September 10, 2008 10:10AM

I have to say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the way the MSM has handled this today. They have brought up McCain's use of the same term. I am hopeful that, if anything, McCain is going to appear to be overly sensitive on the sexism thing. Obama needs to defuse that once and for all. Not sure if this is the way to do it, or if this will be effective. But sitting on his hands while Palin punched away certainly wasn't going to do it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.